Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Standing in the Sun

Damn, this show continues to ruin everything.  I just knew Liv was going to say that Rashid was still alive, they faked his death to protect him.  Instead it's about fucking B613.  God, I hate that organization.

These people much like The Walking Dead just can't shut the fuck up.  The monologues are beyond boring.

"All roads lead back to us."  Well duh, you brain dead morons.  When you go around torturing and murdering people, rigging elections, and are so incompetent at it, it has a tendency to backfire on you.

Another duh, "Yes, Liv you are the villains.  The fans are several years ahead of you on this realization."

I did like what Marcus told Mellie.  His was the only speech I liked.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Damn, this show continues to ruin everything.  I just knew Liv was going to say that Rashid was still alive, they faked his death to protect him.  Instead it's about fucking B613.  God, I hate that organization.

These people much like The Walking Dead just can't shut the fuck up.  The monologues are beyond boring.

"All roads lead back to us."  Well duh, you brain dead morons.  When you go around torturing and murdering people, rigging elections, and are so incompetent at it, it has a tendency to backfire on you.

Another duh, "Yes, Liv you are the villains.  The fans are several years ahead of you on this realization."

Liv had the nerve to act like she didn't do evil stuff just a few episodes ago.

The monologues have always been the weakest part of the series, much of the series has been padded out with grandiose speeches that goes on and on.

• Love 4

Marcus, I think you are wrong about the American people but I am cynical by nature.

I think Liv's plan is stupid and she comes off as self-righteous rather than inspiring. All of the witnesses who could support Liv's claims were her buddies and former employees. Yeah, that's not suspicious.

But if it ruin Fitz's legacy after it is revealed that he stole the first election and won the second election because Eli murdered his son, I would be thrilled.

• Love 2

As much as I hate the monologues I did like Eli calling Jake out. There's nothing more pathetic than a beta male trying to act like an alpha, and all this posturing is just Jake covering his buttsore insecurities about being everyone's second choice.

Hang tight everyone, this trainwreck will finally be over soon.

• Love 18

And how dumb is Lonnie?

He is apparently able to walk right into B613 "headquarters" (conveniently located behind plastic sheets with no locks on the door) and he doesn't immediately call the FBI  to immediately secure it start and dismantling it.  They could have been there in minutes while he waited for them.

At the very least, whip out your cell phone and start recording.

But  no, let's give Jake a chance to get rid of all the evidence.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 19

Kate Burton was the best part of the episode. "Back away from me!" "Now if you'll excuse me, this face does not put on itself." And I do love an Eli rant. Jake really is trifling. When he gave Olivia a vial of sand (?), I was like "Damn, you're STILL on this?"

Marcus is right. It's like the story about the frog and the scorpion. When the people you associate with are foul, don't be surprised when they do foul shit.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

As much as I hate the monologues I did like Eli calling Jake out. There's nothing more pathetic than a beta male trying to act like an alpha, and all this posturing is just Jake covering his buttsore insecurities about being everyone's second choice.

Totally agree. He's standing there towering over Eli and armed. All I see is a whiny baby. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Free said:

The monologues have always been the weakest part of the series, much of the series has been padded out with grandiose speeches that goes on and on.

I don't see how the actors manage them with a straight face. 

• Love 6

I don't feel like Eli was Command when he was puttering around his house with Quinn in his basement - when Olivia called his bluff and he didn't follow through. He didn't have all the answers then - why should I believe he has them now?

There is nothing this show can do at this point to make me root for ANYONE, which is a shame. Even when they're trying to do the "right" thing, it feels selfish.

Poor Jake. He never gets anything he wants.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1

Wow, so I guess Jake really did kill his wife.  That is, unless she shows up next week.

My fear is that the finale will be like Seinfeld's where all the characters are shown in jail.  I want them all dead except for Eli.  He belongs with his dinosaurs.  Loved his (I guess) final monologue.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I thought she was posing hypotheticals.  saying that you can't prove it was an assassination just because there's evidence.  I totally missed that one...

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Wow, so I guess Jake really did kill his wife.  That is, unless she shows up next week.

My fear is that the finale will be like Seinfeld's where all the characters are shown in jail.  I want them all dead except for Eli.  He belongs with his dinosaurs.  Loved his (I guess) final monologue.  

we saw her body last week - Jake and Cyrus were talking in Jake's kitchen and she was laying on the floor in a pool of blood.

15 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

we saw her body last week - Jake and Cyrus were talking in Jake's kitchen and she was laying on the floor in a pool of blood.

There was some speculation last week that it could have been a set up to fool Cyrus, and there was fake blood.  Given stupidity in this show, she still could be alive somewhere, but I suspect she really is dead.

5 hours ago, mwell345 said:

And how dumb is Lonnie?

He is apparently able to walk right into B613 "headquarters" (conveniently located behind plastic sheets with no locks on the door) and he doesn't immediately call the FBI  to immediately secure it start and dismantling it.  They could have been there in minutes while he waited for them.

At the very least, whip out your cell phone and start recording.

But  no, let's give Jake a chance to get rid of all the evidence.

He doesn't get a pass from me as a "good man being manipulated."  Fighting for gun control is one thing, but agreeing to frame a president because you don't agree with her policies is a shit move.  

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

There was some speculation last week that it could have been a set up to fool Cyrus, and there was fake blood.  Given stupidity in this show, she still could be alive somewhere, but I suspect she really is dead.

[loudest sigh ever]  is it next week yet and this mess is over?  please?  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Same. I've never liked Jake. 

I did like Cyrus panicking, as that woman talked about B613 on her show. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Anela said:

Same. I've never liked Jake. 

I did like Cyrus panicking, as that woman talked about B613 on her show. 

I did too, but I don't get why he would be so worried. I feel like there are people who throw around crazy theories about the government like that on the internet all the time. Without proof, why would people suddenly take Sally so seriously? She's not exactly known for being unbiased.

• Love 2

Why would Mellie plan to plead the Fif if she knew she didn't try to assassinate Cryus?

Is it publicly known that Jake (allegedly) is a recent widower? What happened to that plot point?

Or for crying out loud, Olivia "Not a Crime Left to be Committed" Pope was seeking inspiration from the memories of King and Mandela. They both must've been spinning in their graves.

Deep state? Might as well have blamed it all on the boogeyman.

Interesting choice to Jake the ultimate Big Bad in the end. They're all as terrible as he is if not worse. None of them are without sin; none of them can cast either the first or last stone.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Oblique Angle said:

Or for crying out loud, Olivia "Not a Crime Left to be Committed" Pope was seeking inspiration from the memories of King and Mandela. They both must've been spinning in their graves.

Oh that really pissed me off.  Plus, the bitch had the nerve to go to the African American Museum, I guess to do some reflection and to get some kind of inspiration.  I'm not sure if filming was actually done there, it looked like it, but I sure hope not.

• Love 3

I must be in the minority because I thought this ep moved along pretty well. Maybe it was seeing Sally Langston, Liv's series of flashbacks (that season 1 shot with Steven and Harrison!), and the QPA discussion of all their previous misdeeds (Amanda Tanner! No worries, she's a lawyer, clearly in witness protection) that did it. 

I don't understand Lonny's speculation about Jake, though. Yeah, he had a crappy childhood (didn't we see flashbacks in an ep?) but it's not like he had no traceable history before the military. Am I forgetting part of Jake's backstory? (Which is possible!)

• Love 1

I’ll also say that I enjoyed Papa Pope reading Jake for filth. When his monologues are rightfully calling out the other person (see also his monologue towards Fitz in an earlier season during an interrogation), they are at their best. I almost cheered, and Jake proved him right. 

I laughed out loud, though, when Jake said, “I didn’t come here for a lecture.” Boy, that’s all Papa Pope knows how to do.

Even though Olivia and co have done some terrible shit, I’d take them over Cyrus and Jake any day.

• Love 8
On 4/13/2018 at 8:13 PM, Oblique Angle said:

Why would Mellie plan to plead the Fif if she knew she didn't try to assassinate Cryus?

That's not what they asked her when she took the fifth though. They were asking her about Rashid. She didn't ask Liv to kill him, but she can't prove that and the video looked really bad. I think she didn't want to say anything so they can't nail her for perjury later.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:43 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I must be in the minority because I thought this ep moved along pretty well. Maybe it was seeing Sally Langston, Liv's series of flashbacks (that season 1 shot with Steven and Harrison!), and the QPA discussion of all their previous misdeeds (Amanda Tanner! No worries, she's a lawyer, clearly in witness protection) that did it. 

I thought the conversation about their misdeeds was hilarious. He rigged an election! Wait, so did we. He tortured so and so! Wait, that was to cover up my bigger crime.

They are all terrible people, but it is looking less and less likely that the show will end with them all dead.

• Love 1

In the Oval Office prep for Mellie's appearance, we don't know if her lawyer was advising that Mellie invoke the Fifth in answer to a specific question, or a certain line of questioning, or overall. That would be the cautious approach that gives the prosecution nothing to follow-up upon.

During the actual questioning, Lonnie asked Mellie if she had killed Rashad. Truth: No. Answer: No.

Lonnie later asked Mellie if she had fired Liv for having killed Rashad. Truth: Yes. Answer: Fifth. 

oh the sanctimony of this episode!  I'd have more respect for the show if they pulled one more ridiculous nefarious act that allowed them all to live happily ever after instead of suddenly finding religion and the call to civic duty.    thank goodness there's only one left.  the nausea is getting overwhelming.  

Yeah.. I just don’t quite know how they are going to wrap this up next week. And make it something. I can’t even find words for this show anymore, it clearly won’t be good or believable. They literally have made Jake into a villainous cartoon to service Olivia and Fitz as the true love pairing of this show(“white hats”, “we are the bad guys but we wanted to be good and do good”, “jam in Vermont” or whatever the hell). Hell even Mellie ships Fitz and Olivia at this point. Which.. sure. At this point who cares anymore.

• Love 2

Actually, I think that now Mellie is even more in love with Olivia than Fitz is.  She just can't seem to quit Liv, so it might be the two of them who go to Vermont and make jam.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Actually, I think that now Mellie is even more in love with Olivia than Fitz is.  She just can't seem to quit Liv, so it might be the two of them who go to Vermont and make jam.

You know what? That ending wouldn’t be the worst thing imho. At least I don’t think so. I don’t want her with Fitz or Jake. 

• Love 1

I hate it when they say "The Oval."  For some reason it just grates on my nerves.  They make it sound like it's some concert venue or sports arena instead of the office of the President.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, KaveDweller said:

They are all terrible people, but it is looking less and less likely that the show will end with them all dead.

It would have been a better ending if that had happened.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, watch2much said:

oh the sanctimony of this episode!  I'd have more respect for the show if they pulled one more ridiculous nefarious act that allowed them all to live happily ever after instead of suddenly finding religion and the call to civic duty.    thank goodness there's only one left.  the nausea is getting overwhelming.  

This!

21 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Now I'm wondering if Fitz/Liv/Mellie had gotten their act together in the beginning, and just tried to be a happy threesome if things would have gone differently.  Probably not, they would have just screwed other things up.

Not that any of this makes sense anymore, but why did Cyrus decide he wanted to be president?  I though Cyrus was happy being the King Maker and had no interest in being King.

On 4/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, Ohwell said:

On 4/15/2018 at 10:16 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

You know what? That ending wouldn’t be the worst thing imho. At least I don’t think so. I don’t want her with Fitz or Jake. 

I agree. I was disappointed to see her with Fitz again, and as I've said before, I've never liked Jake. 

15 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Not that any of this makes sense anymore, but why did Cyrus decide he wanted to be president?  I though Cyrus was happy being the King Maker and had no interest in being King.

He did until the show called for an over the top, final cartoon villain to close the show out with and for the main characters to 'win' against in the end hence the sudden turns between Cyrus and Jake even though the writers could've just used their many past misdeeds instead of contriving a situation like this.

Oh, the irony of Eli telling Jake, "if you have to tell someone how powerful you are, you are not powerful" after allllll these seasons of 10 minute long bloviations from Eli about how he's the most powerfulest powerful power that ever powered in the history of the republic. PLEASE, Eli.

I'd offer you a seat, but Olivia broke it beating someone to death with it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

Oh, the irony of Eli telling Jake, "if you have to tell someone how powerful you are, you are not powerful" after allllll these seasons of 10 minute long bloviations from Eli about how he's the most powerfulest powerful power that ever powered in the history of the republic. PLEASE, Eli.

Good point!

I hate all of these people.

Even if this show ended with every single one of them in jail, it would still not be enough because these sanctimonious assholes would be proud of themselves because they would have gone to jail for "doing the right thing."

• Love 2
On 4/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, TigerLynx said:

In the flashback episode,  when he was married to a woman and running for his first election, he realized that his dreams for being President would unattainable.  I think he always wanted to be King but realized no one was going to vote for him because he was never going to be as charismatic as Fitz or Freddy Vargas.

LOL - I wonder if I'm able to enjoy this show so much and appreciate it for it's ridiculous camp because I'm not discussing it every week?  I just watch on my own and enjoy it.  I'm very pleased with where it's going.  I remember in the early days of the show, Shonda said that this show wasn't some fairytale and that these weren't good people.  And she's bringing it right back to that.

I can't wait to see everyone go over a cliff.  None of them are good, they've all done bad, they can't judge each other and I can't wait to see where this ends up.  I'm locked and loaded and ready for tonight.

Oh and Marcus' speech was the best one.  Also - I love the monologues - that's my favorite part of all of the campiness.

• Love 1