Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Lock It Down

• Start Topic

After a baby is abducted from Med, Goodwin enlists the help of Dr. Charles and Dr. Reese to find the suspect. Due to the lockdown, Dr. Rhodes must figure out a way to get into the operating room to help perform open-heart surgery. Dr. Manning and Dr. Halstead disagree on the right treatment for a patient.

WTH was that???

Reese and Natalie deliberately broke the rules and went against their attendings' orders, and Reese gets rewarded by Charles telling her she's a good person (I was expecting him to tell her that she's a psychopath and fire her from her psychiatric residency), and Natalie was so right in spite of knowing nothing about oncology, she shrunk those tumors by 1 cm in just a couple of hours!  And they want to do a study based on that! Take that, Meredith Grey, Natalie is even more amazing!

And when Will, the idiot, takes the fall for her,  she breaks up with him?

Meanwhile, Reese consults on the kidnapping just as if she was a real grown-up doctor like Charles, and then breaks the most important rule of psychiatry when she deliberately lies to the patient. No, Dr. Charles, she's not better than her father, she's just as bad and it's your responsibility to protect patients from her.

Meanwhile, Bekker puts down Choi while he's trying to save the stabbing patient in the ER instead of encouraging him through the procedure.  And Connor's creepy father is encouraging her. #SaveConnorRhodes

The only one who got into trouble was Maggie and she's the only one who didn't deserve it, she was just trying to save the patient because there were no doctors around to do it.

• Love 12

Everything I see Natalie u feel the need to have a tattoo onot my chest that says "If I am terminal, make me comfortable and let me die in piece".  Now I know the way they ended it that it was not her fault but still. I got still feel that way because the baby napper was that poor woman that should of just been able to hold her child that had no chance to die peacefully, but no Natalie convinced her to let her do a respirator and other painful things. UgH.. and what was that Bulls that Halstead did it cause she is a woman! WTF

• Love 2
(edited)

What would have happened if Maggie and the other nurse just stood there the whole time and watched the woman seize? Would no one be in trouble for that? Would the woman have had a stroke anyway because she could not breathe or just died?

Besides looked like Noah took his sweet as time coming back to the ER. THEY knew Choi could do nothing and Noah was the ONLY one there. Wait, where the hell  were  WILL AND Natalie?

Edited by Poohbear617
Spell
  • Love 9

Could somebody take Reese into the OR and surgically remove the stick up her ass? When was the last time she smiled?  And jumping down Dr. Charles’ throat for not telling her about her dad? Bitch, please. I used to like her. 

At least my fave Dr. Abrams made an appearance.

• Love 6

I can take a long break from Natalie, what a B.....

Dr. Charles I respectfully disagree with your diagnosis of Dr. Reese, she IS a psychopath...

Connor, run now as fast as you can from Dr. Becker, I can see your creepy dad getting involved with her, and I sincerely think Dr. Becker is gonna go for him, (he's richer than you)

• Love 13

I have no problem with what Reese did... maybe I've watched too many episodes of Survivor or Big Brother, but the baby's safety was paramount... she can spend some pro bono time counseling her afterwards if she feels guilty.

I have more of a problem with what Maggie did as otherwise any nurse could get it into their head that they could do that...  I like Maggie, and hope she only gets a slap on the wrist, but I get that one.  Out on the road... sure, do a crike... inside the hospital... nope.

I also have a problem with what Manning did...  Like that she has a heart... but you can't really have doctors playing FDA just because they feel like it... she can go work for wherever Steve Jobs sought help, if she doesn't like traditional medicine.

Wonder if doctors help each other out using facetime to do surgeries in real life.

4 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

I can take a long break from Natalie, what a B.....

Dr. Charles I respectfully disagree with your diagnosis of Dr. Reese, she IS a psychopath...

There is definitely something wrong with how they have Reese portrayed. I don't think it was as bad season one or maybe it was just the script was better. She seemed more animated. When they had a clip of her "behind the scenes" though, she seemed the same and voted "most likely to fall asleep anywhere on the set" by her costars.  Kind of odd.

Dr Charles could have gotten the baby away without lying but in the end, the baby is safe. She wasn't going to kill it or throw it out a window, but now she might doubt any help she gets.

The drug thing wasn't realistic, how it happened but then nothing really is. I don't like Natalie's character at all, but she was right, Will should have let her fall on her sword and take responsibility for her actions. She is professionally the same as any other doctor and he isn't her "knight".  Of course, she always comes up shining so he shouldn't worry.

• Love 4

The shout-out given by the writers through Natalie about sexism in the medical profession was a nice touch. Of course it would have been so much more powerfull if the same writers hadn't previously pictured Natalie as the female cliché of the caring mother figure who makes decisions based on emotions rather than reason.

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Of course it would have been so much more powerfull if the same writers hadn't previously pictured Natalie as the female cliché of the caring mother figure who makes decisions based on emotions rather than reason.

And the "How dare you treat me as though I was less reliable and competent than my male counterparts?" attitude would have been more on point if she hadn't just demonstrated that she was less reliable and competent than my her male counterparts.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, rhys said:

Raise your hand if you thought Rhodes was going to run into the kidnapper while he was breaking *into* the hospital. I felt for sure he'd find her down there & ponder what to do.

Not quite, but I was pretty sure that the kidnapper was going to escape the "locked-down" hospital that way. Any guesses on how long before the Phantom of Chicago Med plot, where they find someone living down there?

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Meanwhile, Reese consults on the kidnapping just as if she was a real grown-up doctor like Charles, and then breaks the most important rule of psychiatry when she deliberately lies to the patient. No, Dr. Charles, she's not better than her father, she's just as bad and it's your responsibility to protect patients from her.

I don't think Reese actually qualifies as a sociopath; I think Charles is right to say she has a conscience -- but she's clearly a mess, and shouldn't be treating patients until she gets a handle on her issues. Guess her therapy sessions ended waaay prematurely. (What happened to Daniel's therapist? I thought that was an interesting plotline.)

I felt for Manning, because I think Red Halstead's need to rescue her is kind of patronizing. Unfortunately Manning's also a really bad doctor. (The problem with this show can be summed up in two words: Impulse. Control. Four more: No one has any.)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Could somebody take Reese into the OR and surgically remove the stick up her ass? When was the last time she smiled?  And jumping down Dr. Charles’ throat for not telling her about her dad? Bitch, please. I used to like her. 

At least my fave Dr. Abrams made an appearance.

It's a funny thing when recurring cast members who are not conceived of as being appealing characters - Drs. Latham, Stohl, and Abrams - are people who are refreshing to see in these episodes.

I sympathized with Sharon Goodwin in this one. She clearly understood Maggie's situation and told her as much but her position left her no choice but to suspend her.

• Love 7
(edited)

Am I the only one who noticed that episode titles are one word in the first season, two in the second, and now three in the third season?  This one is "Lock It Down" (three words) and it's season number three.  The rest are like that as well.  It's sort of like how Law & Order: SVU's episode titles had the same number of characters as the season number for seasons 13 through 17.  

Edited by GalvDuck
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Am I the only one who noticed that episode titles are one word in the first season, two in the second, and now three in the third season?  This one is "Lock It Down" (three words) and it's season number three.  The rest are like that as well.  It's sort of like how Law & Order: SVU's episode titles had the same number of characters as the season number for seasons 13 through 17.  

You think that is a deliberate plan?  As opposed to pure coincidence?

9 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

I have no problem with what Reese did... maybe I've watched too many episodes of Survivor or Big Brother, but the baby's safety was paramount... she can spend some pro bono time counseling her afterwards if she feels guilty.

Not with that woman she can't. That woman isn't going to trust doctors or therapists for a very, very long time if she ever does again.  Dr. Charles could have got that baby away from her and helped her to heal.  It wasn't like she was holding the baby out the window and they needed to take him that very second.

Reese comes up with the occasional great diagnosis but as a therapist, she's repeatedly demonstrated that she's horrible and the people she treats deserve better.  I've had undergrad students in a counselling course who were better therapists than Reese.  If they didn't want to showcase Oliver Platt, I sincerely doubt she would be in psychiatry.

On the other hand, the person who needs therapy even more is Natalie. She seems to be obsessed with extending life even for a short period, as was the case with the terminal cancer patient in this episode, without any consideration for the quality of that life (see the baby from a couple of episodes ago). If the writers were better, I'd say that she couldn't get over the death of her husband and that's why she's so obsessed with extending any life she can. But either way, she needs therapy and soon.

Will is doing her no favours protecting her from the consequences of her actions.  She'll keep doing it and there will come a time when he can't protect her and then she will lose her license.

The idea that Natalie, who is not an oncologist, found an obscure article in the few minutes she searched, had the drugs on hand in the hospital, went against Will's orders and convinced the patient's wife to try it, shrunk the tumors by 1 cm (0.4 inches) in the hour that Choi was trying to save the stabbing patient, and now the oncologist is going to do a research study because of it (if it worked that well, don't you think the paper's authors would already be doing it?) is so ridiculous, it would make more sense for a god to come down from the heavens to cure her.

10 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

Connor, run now as fast as you can from Dr. Becker, I can see your creepy dad getting involved with her, and I sincerely think Dr. Becker is gonna go for him, (he's richer than you)

Please, please, please let that happen!

• Love 9
(edited)
23 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

... and now the oncologist is going to do a research study because of it (if it worked that well, don't you think the paper's authors would already be doing it?) is so ridiculous, it would make more sense for a god to come down from the heavens to cure her.

I believe this cheap ploy is called "deux ex ma-heinie" on account of how the writer just pulled it out of his ass.

In response to Netfoot's (likely rhetorical, but since when does that stop me?) question, I can easily believe that fussy little details like being cute with the titles IS something these writers spend their energy on, as opposed to, oh, silly things like characterization and story logic.

Edited by Sandman
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
47 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I can easily believe that fussy little details like being cute with the titles IS something these writers spend their energy on...

Sure, I know they sometimes play games.  A recent show (can't remember which) had all the titles as anagrams.  But usually, they leak the game to the viewers so they can all play along.

• Love 2
(edited)

It occurred to me you never really get to see how a resident of psychiatry  screws  up as you do when  an ED/ medical resident--April's bro, does.  Different dynamics in judgement but the psychiatric can be more gray

Also, can't believe the door between old and new  structure Dr Rhodes came through wasn't better secured--i.e. at least locked!

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

It occurred to me you never really get to see how a resident of psychiatry  screws  up as you do when  an ED/ medical resident--April's bro, does.  Different dynamics in judgement but the psychiatric can be more gray

Also different timing -- when a patient gets the wrong drug, you can see the effects instantaneously in TV drama. The woman's psychological drama is going to take months to come out.

• Love 3

IIRC, Reese was originally going to do her residency in pathology, but quit that because she wanted to treat patients. Can we hope that another residency in pathology will appear?

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

You think that is a deliberate plan?  As opposed to pure coincidence?

Nah, pretty sure it's a deliberate pattern.  Same with SVU's pattern.  I just thought it was interesting.  I hadn't noticed it until today.  

Some shows have special ways of titling their episodes.  Friends was always "The one where..." or "The one with...."  Grey's Anatomy is almost always a song title.  Breaking Bad's titles for one season were always spoiler clues for the season finales.  Gossip Girl titles were usually a play on a movie's title.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Not with that woman she can't. That woman isn't going to trust doctors or therapists for a very, very long time if she ever does again.  Dr. Charles could have got that baby away from her and helped her to heal.  It wasn't like she was holding the baby out the window and they needed to take him that very second.

Reese comes up with the occasional great diagnosis but as a therapist, she's repeatedly demonstrated that she's horrible and the people she treats deserve better.  I've had undergrad students in a counselling course who were better therapists than Reese.  If they didn't want to showcase Oliver Platt, I sincerely doubt she would be in psychiatry.

On the other hand, the person who needs therapy even more is Natalie. She seems to be obsessed with extending life even for a short period, as was the case with the terminal cancer patient in this episode, without any consideration for the quality of that life (see the baby from a couple of episodes ago). If the writers were better, I'd say that she couldn't get over the death of her husband and that's why she's so obsessed with extending any life she can. But either way, she needs therapy and soon.

Will is doing her no favours protecting her from the consequences of her actions.  She'll keep doing it and there will come a time when he can't protect her and then she will lose her license.

The idea that Natalie, who is not an oncologist, found an obscure article in the few minutes she searched, had the drugs on hand in the hospital, went against Will's orders and convinced the patient's wife to try it, shrunk the tumors by 1 cm (0.4 inches) in the hour that Choi was trying to save the stabbing patient, and now the oncologist is going to do a research study because of it (if it worked that well, don't you think the paper's authors would already be doing it?) is so ridiculous, it would make more sense for a god to come down from the heavens to cure her.

Please, please, please let that happen!

I respect your empathy, but that woman could've snapped that baby's neck if she wanted.  I get that Charles might have been able to successfully intervene and I understand that ideally you would patiently wait for the woman to relent... but time was of the essence and the baby needed its drugs.  If she was not holding the baby, I could have justified talking her down for hours but she was, so I didn't mind the subterfuge in that context.

• Love 3
(edited)

I believe this cheap ploy is called "deux ex ma-heinie" on account of how the writer just pulled it out of his ass.

I love this!  I must find a way to use this in a conversation very soon.

I agree that Reese still has a long way to go before she should be treating patients on her own.  I don't know about the stick, but I do think that she goes into a very defensive mode anytime she offers a diagnosis or opinion (like she anticipates it to be challenged).

I knew that Manning was going to be cleared of wrong-doing, but I had hoped against hope that it would turn out to be her fault.  She needs to have something like this happen (or at least have the findings be inconclusive, so that she would have some doubt).  I'm getting tired of every episode description containing some version of 'Drs. Halstead and Manning disagree--clash--are at odds with patient care--diagnosis, etc.  It's getting predictable and boring.

Edited by BooksRule
Inconclusive is better than undetermined
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

I respect your empathy, but that woman could've snapped that baby's neck if she wanted.  I get that Charles might have been able to successfully intervene and I understand that ideally you would patiently wait for the woman to relent... but time was of the essence and the baby needed its drugs.  If she was not holding the baby, I could have justified talking her down for hours but she was, so I didn't mind the subterfuge in that context.

I totally agree.  She was a continued danger to the kidnapped baby.  She forfeited all right to gentle treatment.

I've never understood why hostage negotiators spend hours, even days, talking down the gunman, when the sniper coulda just put one through the apricot.  

(Poor gunman!  Don't endanger him!  Meanwhile, our innocent loved-ones remain at mortal riski indefinitely, waiting for the gunman's finger to twitch!) 

• Love 1
(edited)

@Netfoot maybe because the negotiators still value human life? If we just go killing them are we any better? I admire those people that do the talking with them, sometimes they are trying to say something and this is the only way someone will listen? Don't get me wrong it's pretty drastic and sad when they do it at the costs of someone's life or their own. But I believe it's what's separates man from the beast when we have and can show emphaty to them.

(But to be honest I don't know if I would have the patience to do that, but I still admire those that do)

Edited by Lyanna19
Typo
  • Love 6

Natalie, ugh! She does not want to be treated like a helpless woman. Okay then please everyone treat her like a petulant child. Since this is how she behaves most of the time.

No, that is an insult to children. I have seen many toddlers that behave infinitely better than she does and make better decisions!

• Love 10

Quoting myself from the "Born This Way" thread:

Depending upon how it all resolves, I see Dr. Reese reflecting on her father's mental illness and wondering if she is at risk of developing problems later in life.  The episode title was "Born This Way" after all.

Dr. Charles said in "Lock It Down" that her father was "born that way" when she was questioning him about her own thoughts on how she handled the babynapper.  

On 4/4/2018 at 8:50 AM, Sandman said:

I don't think Reese actually qualifies as a sociopath; I think Charles is right to say she has a conscience -- but she's clearly a mess, and shouldn't be treating patients until she gets a handle on her issues. Guess her therapy sessions ended waaay prematurely. (What happened to Daniel's therapist? I thought that was an interesting plotline.)

This.  She still needs therapy and probably knows it herself.  Maybe they can pursue that soon.  There's no way she's already resolved all her issues after the suicide, the attacks, and everything else.  Kid needs to talk it out more...and not just with Dr. Charles.

I'll say it again, I'm a Reese fan.  I just wish they would get the ball rolling on her storyline instead of giving us this ambiguous, flat affect to her character that makes some viewers bored with her character.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Lyanna19 said:

maybe because the negotiators still value human life?

They obviously don't value the life of the innocent hostages very highly.  Hostages who are kept for hours, perhaps days, with a gun to their heads, and the finger of a disturbed hostage-taker on the trigger.  Why should the innocents be kept in perpetual peril, in constant risk of immediate death, in order to preserve the safety of the hostage taker?  As far as I'm concerned, you point a gun at my family, your right to keep breathing is seriously curtailed through your very own actions.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

Dr. Charles said in "Lock It Down" that her father was "born that way" when she was questioning him about her own thoughts on how she handled the babynapper. 

Ugh, I hate how simplistic this show is with psychiatric issues.  He was born with the potential to be like that; there are treatments that can help.

And Dr. Charles, since he was "born like that", it means that Reese could have inherited the genes for psychopathology.  You can't be sure she hasn't unless you do an MRI, so stop pandering to her worst personality and medical traits.  She could just be very, very good at playing you.

Stop trying to save her, like Manning she needs the consequences of her actions.  It's like you failed with Robin when she was that age so you're trying to reproduce the situation with Reese so you can make it right.

9 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

I respect your empathy, but that woman could've snapped that baby's neck if she wanted. 

But she wasn't going to, that was the opposite to why she took him. She lost her own baby so in her confused mind she took another that she was going to care for and take care of. Talk to her about the fact that the baby needs medical treatment right now and she would have handed him over.

In five minutes Charles could have had a win-win situation. Instead, Reese in her god complex saved the baby at the cost of the woman. First do no harm.

I've never understood why hostage negotiators spend hours, even days, talking down the gunman, when the sniper coulda just put one through the apricot.  

I'm pretty sure that if a sniper could do it safely, he/she would. In real hostage situations (as opposed to TV ones), there are multiple hostage takers hiding behind the hostages (e.g. the African mall) and the threat is that if one gets shot, the others start shooting the hostages randomly.

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I knew that Manning was going to be cleared of wrong-doing, but I had hoped against hope that it would turn out to be her fault.  She needs to have something like this happen (or at least have the findings be inconclusive, so that she would have some doubt).  I'm getting tired of every episode description containing some version of 'Drs. Halstead and Manning disagree--clash--are at odds with patient care--diagnosis, etc.  It's getting predictable and boring.

I hate how this episode made both Manning and Reese do the wrong thing and then rewarded them for it in the end.  They're going to keep doing it because it always works out for them wiith the crappy writing.

In case anyone is wondering why ER was a much better show than Chicago Med, this is one reason. On ER, if you went against best treatment, there were consequences.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10
On 4/4/2018 at 11:15 AM, statsgirl said:

In the real world, psychiatrists do very little therapy. They diagnose and prescribe meds. Psychologists and masters level therapists do the actual therapy, in or outside of hospitals.

I think the show is setting the stage for Reese to have a breakdown leading to a suicide attempt. She's showing the signs of being depressed and hopeless.

• Love 3

Ugh, so many WTF moments on this episode.

So even though the hospital is locked down, the bleeding patient can be admitted.  But Rhodes, the surgeon who will save this man's life, can't be allowed in?  What the heck?  Why can't Rhodes go to the door and get Maggie to allow him in?  Instead, he has to go through some creepy dark tunnel that somehow leads to pathology and the morgue?  I too thought he was going to find the kidnapper down there.

So on this episode, we learn that Bekker's first name is Ava.  Totally see her getting involved with Connor's dad.  Otherwise she would have gone out to dinner with Connor instead of suggesting the cafeteria.

Chemotherapeutic drugs shrink the tumor by 1 cm within ONE HOUR?  What?

I guess Choi and Noah are the only doctors in the ER?  Where were Halstead and Nat?  What about any other random doctors that we have to assume exist in this hospital but we just don't see them?

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, backformore said:

In the real world, psychiatrists do very little therapy. They diagnose and prescribe meds. Psychologists and masters level therapists do the actual therapy, in or outside of hospitals.

I think the show is setting the stage for Reese to have a breakdown leading to a suicide attempt. She's showing the signs of being depressed and hopeless.

That's true, I had a relative want to see a psychiatrist for ADD and they said she had to see a social worker and the social worker would get an on call doc to get meds. It wasn't like that years ago, but although they see patients, it's very selective and many see just in hospitals or clinics. 

Maybe the Reese character will have a breakdown, I just don't get the stoic look all the time, she never laughs, cries, moves her facial muscles. A coworker said it looks like she had botox and just can't move forehead or eye muscles.  Maybe not, but if people notice it, I hope it's deliberate. She doesn't seem happy with this rotation, doesn't seem to have any outside interests, etc. She also seems to go rogue a lot so Dr Charles is just a figure who stands by her incredulous.

In ER, you didn't get a lot of background but the characters had depth, but many characters on CM have lives that end at work. Reese and Dr Charles seem to live there, I'd rather see more of them than April and Natalie.

I just watched some classic ER episodes on Hulu, made me remember why it was so loved, Chicago Med doesn't have to be ER, but it should try harder to make the stories believable and consequences real.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Chemotherapeutic drugs shrink the tumor by 1 cm within ONE HOUR?  What?

Well she did cure Whooping Cough in a few hours too a few episodes back, she is good like that.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, greyhorse said:

So even though the hospital is locked down, the bleeding patient can be admitted.  But Rhodes, the surgeon who will save this man's life, can't be allowed in?  What the heck?  Why can't Rhodes go to the door and get Maggie to allow him in?  Instead, he has to go through some creepy dark tunnel that somehow leads to pathology and the morgue?  I too thought he was going to find the kidnapper down there.

You'd think that with this type of lockdown (pink?), it would be perfectly OK to let people into the hospital.  That way, staff and supplies, along with needy patients, could be admitted, while kidnappers with children would still not be able to depart.

1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Well she did cure Whooping Cough in a few hours too a few episodes back,

And she is great at child-rearing...

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

You'd think that with this type of lockdown (pink?), it would be perfectly OK to let people into the hospital.  That way, staff and supplies, along with needy patients, could be admitted, while kidnappers with children would still not be able to depart.

I agree, they should let staff and supplies in.  However, they don't let people in or out in order to keep a bit of control over things.  Someone entering the hospital may not have a baby at the time, but may be a suspect hiding in plain sight.  Not only do they not let people enter or exit where I work, you pretty much have to stay put unless you're involved in the search.  No riding on elevators, no going from one unit to another or one floor to another unless cleared by security.  When we get a "Code Pink" here, even if it isn't a unit with children, we post staff at elevators and stairs to ensure no one enters or exits.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This show is REALLY getting on my last nerve, and yet, I keep watching. Funny how the careless, I will do what I want Dr. Halstead, is now the pillat of the medical field. He is probably hoping that his malpractice insurance will go down as long as he stays a good boy, but now after becoming Sir Lancelot and throwing himself on his sword to save a damsel in distress, he’ll be lucky to gey anyone to insure him. He’s a giant, red-headed ass. 

• Love 3

At least it's partly explained by Colin Donnell's muscles, which are more than I've seen on any real-life starved-for-free-time resident.  (Yes, it's bugged me all season.)

23 hours ago, backformore said:

Often true, but it depends on the psychiatrist. I know some psychiatrists are just in it for the money and to get as many patients through their doors as they can.*  I also know some psychiatrists who are everything you could want in a therapist.  The psychiatrist at a clinic I worked at was a firm believer in family therapy and minimal drugs and did as much therapy as any of the other mental health workers. Then he was replaced and suddenly with the new psychiatrist it was all drugs and fill out this questionnaire before anyone will see you so he could get even more publications. (He also lied regularly to his staff.)

*I had a psychiatrist tell me that CBT doesn't work for OCD, only drugs will. That came as a surprise to the Anxiety Disorders team at a nearby hospital who showing MRI images of the changes to the brain from CBT.

• Love 1

Hi all.  I just joined and this is my first post.  Four quick comments:

1.  Having a hard time with this program.  I am finding myself not actually liking any of the characters.  I am "ok" with a couple but having a hard time with someone who is "ok" being the best character on the show.  I wonder if it will get better...

2.  Maggie is one of those "ok" characters, but have noticed her tendency to shout 3 meaningless words in a row at least two episodes in a row.  I know, a very minor thing, which I let bother me in large part due to so much else I just do not like.  In last week's episode (with the sleeping woman in the waiting area), Maggie yells "move! move! move!" to the other people watching (even though they had already moved and no one actually reacted to her command) and then "go go go" to Choi, as if he would not know to hurry without her help.  This week, right after the knockdown, she walked into the ER and says, "Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" and once again no one reacts to her.  I guess this is supposed to create the illusion that she is in charge but to me, it's just sill. (As I type this, I realize I am taking this stuff way too seriously, but it is just one of many irritants on the show).

3.  It seems like a took a long time from the moment the baby was missing to when the called a "code Pink".  Will had time to make a call or two they had time to discuss with Goodwin etc... If the goal was for the woman to leave the hospital with the baby, she had plenty of time to do so.  

4. Would it not have been easier for Connor to call Goodwin and have her arrange to open the door for him?

• Love 4
On 4/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, backformore said:

That's as much a function of the situation with health insurance than anything else.  It's easier to make money for four fifteen minute med checks than a single one-hour therapy session.  Plenty of psychiatrists do therapy, they just tend to be operating cash-only businesses that puts it out of reach of most people.

My program may be atypical, but we spend an entire year (out of four) doing only therapy rotations.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, starri said:

That's as much a function of the situation with health insurance than anything else.  It's easier to make money for four fifteen minute med checks than a single one-hour therapy session.  Plenty of psychiatrists do therapy, they just tend to be operating cash-only businesses that puts it out of reach of most people.

My program may be typical, but we spend an entire year (out of four) doing only therapy rotations.  

My daughter found that out with a lot of therapists. We have great insurance, Blue Cross, but it was "cash only" at many of them. I guess they make more money that way but cost prohibitive. Some were insurance could be submitted but they take cash upfront and then help you with paperwork.  No thanks, she's still looking but the list is shorter.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 12:05 AM, statsgirl said:

And when Will, the idiot, takes the fall for her,  she breaks up with him?

And Will actually ran out of the building after her - in the midst of his colleague speaking to him about urgent work-related matters, no less. Not only that, but if you stop and think about it, Will has been the first to apologize in every argument he and Natalie have had. Natalie has not been the first to give in, ever, even when the issue was clearly her fault. 

Natalie told Will she loved him - but honestly, none of her actions ever seem to show it. Will may have his faults, but he is overall a really good guy. He deserves someone better than Natalie, someone who realizes his worth and maybe chases after HIM once in a while. I have always liked Natalie in the past, but the way she's been acting in recent months, not so much.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:19 AM, greyhorse said:

So on this episode, we learn that Bekker's first name is Ava.

Huh? We learned that the first episode she was introduced.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:56 AM, LittleIggy said:

At least she admitted out loud that she has no real friends. Maybe now she can start connecting the dots.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I have always liked Natalie in the past, but the way she's been acting in recent months, not so much.

This really has been the season that spoiled a number of the female characters -- Natalie, Reese, April and the woman that Connor is currently involved with (Ava) instead of Robin).  Fingers crossed Maggie and Sharon get spared.

• Love 3