Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

This sucks.  I don't need BB interfering with the figure skating season any more than it already does.  What am I supposed to do with myself during the dead time in July and August when there are only minor, early season club comps, most of which don't provide a live stream?  I rely on BB to fill that space!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

C'mon...what do you really need writers for outside of coming up with stuff for Zingbot?

The Chenbot requires regular dialogue uploads, donchaknow.

Unless, of course, you’re ok with putting them on an infinitely repeating loop of “Praise Jesus!” commentary….

• LOL 5

Does she though?   "Welcome to Big Brother!"  "Expect the unexpected!"  "But first!"   Just add the HG names for the season and you're pretty much set.  Her sign offs of late can easily be madlibbed from fortune cookies and Sunday School flashcards. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Does she though?   "Welcome to Big Brother!"  "Expect the unexpected!"  "But first!"   Just add the HG names for the season and you're pretty much set.  Her sign offs of late can easily be madlibbed from fortune cookies and Sunday School flashcards. 

Are you saying you don't appreciate Julie saying "Love one another" for goodnight? I mean, if Arisa was using this phrase as much, then the Canadian producers of BB maybe wouldn't have stopped the live feeds because of the toxic BB community. 😋

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

C'mon...what do you really need writers for outside of coming up with stuff for Zingbot? Calling Chat GTP 4 and let's get the season rolling! August is way too late to be starting this.

It's not about BB needing writers, it's about how there is unlikely to be new scripted shows for fall so the networks need stuff to fill that time.

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's not about BB needing writers, it's about how there is unlikely to be new scripted shows for fall so the networks need stuff to fill that time.

Well, the general running theme of the show is “Expect the Unexpected” - so why not the first ever back-to-back seasons of BB?  That could cover both summer AND fall.  😆

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Nashville said:

Well, the general running theme of the show is “Expect the Unexpected” - so why not the first ever back-to-back seasons of BB?  That could cover both summer AND fall.  😆

Actually, that would have been a good idea. I guess they're too cheap lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Actually, that would have been a good idea. I guess they're too cheap lol.

Hell - back-to-back BBs would’ve probably been cheaper than the production costs for 6 to 8 1-hour episodes of a serialized drama or sitcom, even.

Edited by Nashville
Expansion
  • Like 4

Summer and fall would be a good idea.  i know they had Over the Top a while back during fall?/winter months, which i don't think went over well, probably because even in southern california, winters can be too cold to wear swimsuits all the time.  but it usually doesn't start getting cool in socal until late octoberish.

and seriously chat gbt has got to be better at writing jokes than whoever wrote the last few seasons of zingbot.  

The worst season EVER - Big Brother 9 - was in the Winter due to the writers strike.  I want no part of something that unbelievably awful!  It's hard enough for them to find enough remotely decent people to cast once a year; they just don't have it in them to do it twice. 

• Like 4
On 5/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, Nashville said:

Or, just make the one season twice as long. And before you say no, consider the entertainment value of late season feeds, once they’ve been trapped inside for four months and full-on psychosis kicks in. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Yep, officially launching on August 2nd. Just nonsense.

Think they're shooting themselves in the foot here. I started watching it cause nothing was on in the summer. At least they're starting early enough where that's still the case, but who knows if I'll keep with it once TV season plus all the fall sports going on.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

very true.  there might be less scripted TV shows, but fall has football and baseball all week long.  

my daughter and i like to stay up late to watch the feeds, because we don't have to get up early in the mornings.  that won't happen in September once school starts, so the late start really affects our ability to watch as much.  

Edited by Hanahope
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Hanahope said:

my daughter and i like to stay up late to watch the feeds, because we don't have to get up early in the mornings.  that won't happen in September once school starts, so the late start really affects our ability to watch as much.  

Your post raises an interesting question (to me, anyway).  Especially in its early days, one of the significant keys to BB’s success was simply lack of significant competition; it was summer filler fluff, airing when most prime time programming was mired in RerunLand while networks geared up to promote their new fall lineups.  Another significant datum related to time frame was schools’ summer vacation: TPTB could generally count on capturing the eyes of a young demographic which was (a) bored to death and (b) looking for cheap entertainment, especially in the wee hours.

A lot of things have changed since the series started, though, and your comment brought one such change to mind - the advent of alternative school schedules, and the corresponding demise of the old 3-month summer break.  Maybe TPTB have little concern about schedule slippage from an admittedly archaic 3-month summer break calendar which frequently no longer reflects their viewers’ reality?

9 hours ago, Nashville said:

admittedly archaic 3-month summer break calendar

Sure, there are some schools/colleges on year round schedule.  but i think the majority are still run in the Aug/Sept to May/June time frame.  unless one is doing a summer in college, almost all students are off in July (and most in June as well).  

• Like 3
(edited)
On 5/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, Nashville said:

Unless, of course, you’re ok with putting them on an infinitely repeating loop of “Praise Jesus!” commentary….

I read that as "Praise Jessie" for some awful reason.  I need a new BB episode so I don't have to relive the past with Mr. Pectacular... 🤢

Edited by Slider
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

How did they get to 25 years from a show that started in 2000?  Was there a Time Jump while I was sleeping last night?  Is this a Flashback?  I think I hear The Smoke Monster outside my window!  *screams*

Maybe they are counting the winter show when Adam won and the show which was only broadcast on the internet after a regular season's finale.

I am in no mood to see houseguests who the producers ADORE but I HATE. I think the only one I don't hate from that group is Keysar. I'm in the minority that hates all of the rest, even your highness Taylor 🤢

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Isn’t Julie a member of SAG? How is this season going to air if she can’t be on it? 

There will not be a new season of Big Brother if SAG/AFTRA joins the strike. Julie is a member of that union.

And all live shows will change to reruns.

• Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Isn’t Julie a member of SAG?

How can a robot be a union member?

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Looked into it more and the SAG-AFTRA contract that includes reality tv does not expire until next year so Julie will still host.

Damn. Or, I guess, fine. Because you know they’d have gone ahead with the show, hosted by Derrick or Cody or some such shit.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Looked into it more and the SAG-AFTRA contract that includes reality tv does not expire until next year so Julie will still host.

It does not matter.... she is a member of SAG/AFTRA and they are not going on strike and this work stoppage has nothing to do with their contracts. They are shutting down their work as a protest to the Writers Guild not yet reaching a settlement. She will not go against the sympathies of her union and work when all the others in her union are putting a halt to their shows regardless of their particular contracts. It is a protest.

Edited by LoveLeigh
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

They're allowed to work on reality TV. 

why-the-sag-aftra-strike-likely-wont-del

It's funny seeing reality shows under the "Non-dramatic programs" heading, they should have their own heading of "Overly dramatic programs".

• LOL 10

Sigh.  I knew I was going to miss the end of this season's BB due to a long camping trip coming up starting right after Labor Day.  I didn't mind missing the end of the season, usually those are dead boring as the alpha Bro and Ho alliance have to start eating their own, and the only thing that keeps me going is the snarky discussion going on in these forums. 

But now I'm going to miss the chewy center of the show....when there's still that glimmer of hope that the Freaks and Geeks can get it together and get an underdog's alliance going.  Sigh.  I'll try to keep up by reading the forums, but it won't be the same, since my favorite game is to read about stuff on the live forums, then spot how the editing twists and spins it to fit a narrative....until they can't anymore because the hamster is too awful to protect, then they lean into going the other way.  Oh well.  I shall persevere. 

On another note....  Does the show really need Julie Chen?  I mean, our snarky discussion does, since finding flaws in the Chenbot's programming is a spectator sport here, but really...is she required?  Just put the hamsters into the habitat, let 'em out one by one, then towards the end set up a habittrail to the jury house and call it good. 

I actually think it would be interesting to have the evicted houseguest walk out to an empty stage, sit on a stool, and watch clippings from their time in the house while we get their reactions.  Add in a booming BB voice coming from above "Houseguest, do you remember when <other houseguest> said he had your back?" then roll footage that shows the betrayal.  Or have the BB boom out "Houseguest....this is what you showed to America!" and roll footage of Houseguest being a total ass while online comments regarding his behavior scroll across the screen.

Huh.  I actually think that would be better than having Julie there asking "and how do you feel about that?" as a soft-peddling ersatz therapist.

• Like 8

I'm glad they're spreading the days out again.  It's been forever since they've not had back to back days.  Now if they'd only spread the challenges out.   The final noms are set (and lately the evictee has been set) before we even see the nominations.  Worse the HGs just sit around for 4 days with nothing to do.   The initial noms should be forced to sweat it out for more than 24 hours.

As to Julie, I feel like someone is required on eviction night.  On the on hand, after 24 seasons I'm used to  the Chenbot's quirks, glitches and bonmots...even the increasingly ridiculous religious ones.  OTOH, I'd love it if they had someone who could do a proper interview with the evicted guests and do better banter with the ones in the house.   More importantly I would love someone who actually watches and is invested on the goings on.   Jeff Probst and Phil Koegan are highly involved in their shows and it makes a difference in their on camera performance, versus Julie who just shows up on Thursday and gets Cliff Notes. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The show will air on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays this fall, which is the superior schedule. It'll be on at 8 on Thursday as well, which is awesome. But it's going to be on at 10 on Sundays though, which is awful.

Horrible schedule for me. I wish I could like this change but it takes me out of the running for watching most episodes live, save for the occasional live HoH if there's someone I really really really wanna see land on their mic battery pack (or their own puddle of pee, I'm not picky). Especially because I have to convert those times to EST and I am definitely not dragging my ass out of bed at 4:50 pm - that's three hours before I even smash my sleep button for the first time. All it leaves me with is Sunday eps. Hork. Those are the worst.

7 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Horrible schedule for me. I wish I could like this change but it takes me out of the running for watching most episodes live, save for the occasional live HoH if there's someone I really really really wanna see land on their mic battery pack (or their own puddle of pee, I'm not picky). Especially because I have to convert those times to EST and I am definitely not dragging my ass out of bed at 4:50 pm - that's three hours before I even smash my sleep button for the first time. All it leaves me with is Sunday eps. Hork. Those are the worst.

Those times are est.

21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Those times are est.

Yeah but I'm PST so in order to watch live live, it's gonna have to be something monumental like a Frankie Grande eviction or something. This may just be what I need to phase out the show and just be strictly feeds this summer.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Little media roundup:

Thanks for the heads-up; all it took was the mention of FmfG in the lineup for me to know I’d be giving this’un a hard pass.

• Like 1