Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: King in the North

Honey plans a relaxing vacation before the baby arrives, but Jessica turns the trip into a quest to get Stephen King to endorse her novel. Louis scrambles to make Grandma Huang feel welcome. Eddie and Nicole rebel against the school's dress code.

• Love 1

It seems like it's been awhile since we've seen one of those Fresh Off the Boat style daydreams. That made me smile. 

More Jim Carrey tributes from Eddie. Respect.

Parks and Recreation is my all time favorite comedy, which meant I had to endure almost yearly questions of whether the series would be renewed as the series struggled in TV ratings all throughout its run. FotB has its flaws, but I hope it comes back for at least another season. The ending scene had one of those "could double as a series finale type of bowtie" vibe to it (Parks and Recreation had several of those type of episodes).

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Oh look Jessica being a selfish asshole. Honey needs to end that toxic friendship.

Jessica used to be my favorite character and now she's the most unlikeable critter on the whole show. I just wanted to chuck her out of the car the whole time. What kind of friend pulls that crap? I'm sorry they took her on this over-the-top toxic, narcissistic route. Even Eddie has grown as a person and gotten more likeable over the years.

• Love 12

I love Louis, and I usually find Jessica amusing, but they've definitely gone too far with her. She and Honey used to be pretty hilarious, but I even find Honey dull now.

LOVED Eddie showing up in the skirt, supporting Nicole. The bit at the very end made me laugh, with the "I need to return this skirt I wore to the dance and find out the names of those bisexual hotties" line, along with Jessica's reaction. Ha. Eddie and his friends are the best. 

More Marvin and Louis please.

Allison didn't seem like the same character in this episode, but I've missed one or two - she's hanging out with the crowd?

• Love 7

The other thing I noticed is that Allison was usually pretty laidback about stuff so it seemed out of character that she kept mentioning that Nicole was supposed ro wear orange. That seemed to come out of nowhere. 

I did love that everyone else in their group ended up being supportive of Nicole’s decision and they all stayed outside in the parking lot with her and Eddie. 

I was not at all surprised that Eddie planned to return that skirt!

Emery, Evan, and Louis singing Somewhere Out There was both adorable and hilarious. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Jessica used to be my favorite character and now she's the most unlikeable critter on the whole show. I just wanted to chuck her out of the car the whole time. What kind of friend pulls that crap? I'm sorry they took her on this over-the-top toxic, narcissistic route. Even Eddie has grown as a person and gotten more likeable over the years.

Yes, she used to be my favorite character too, but maybe it's the case where because she was the breakout character when the show first started, the writers just went too over the top with her. She hadn't bothered me too much in the last few episodes, but in this episode I thought she was even worse than she was at the beginning of this season where I couldn't stand her at all. 

Loved Eddie's storylines though, and I agree that the character and also the actor have really grown over the years. I like it more now when Emery hangs out with Eddie than with Evan, but the "Somewhere Out There" payoff made up for it especially when Louis joined in. 

• Love 6

So of course Grandma's favorite British soap was Coronation Street and the scenes that they kept showing were with Lucille Soong who plays Grandma on Fresh Off the Boat.

Cool.

• Love 15

This episode wasn't bad, but I hope that book storyline is done for good.  I can't believe it was that easy for Jessica to get something published.  Seeing a pregnant woman dragged around wasn't funny.  There were a bunch of setups which could have been funny, like the pet cemetery but I kept waiting for the punchline.  The other subplots were fine, but just not laugh-out-loud funny.

• Love 3

I was delighted to see Grandma loves Coronation Street!  It was so nice to see Annie Walker and Uncle Albert...and OMG that was a young Grandma???  Never would have guessed, but that episode was from 1969, so I don't know what satellite provider would be airing old Corrie episodes from the late 60s in the 1990s.   If there is such a channel, I would love to get it.

• Love 2

The Evan and Emery subplot was adorable and a good return to how close they used to be. I enjoy these plots more than Emery and Eddie ragging on Evan. 

LOVED Evan's vision of being Dr President and married to Kristi Yamaguchi. I cracked up with Emery got up from the bunk bed as VP. I expected it but it was so cute!

As a huge Jessica fan and defender even I found her pretty awful in this episode but I did love the end where she used the restraining order quote for her book. That was very her.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

LOVED Evan's vision of being Dr President and married to Kristi Yamaguchi. I cracked up with Emery got up from the bunk bed as VP. I expected it but it was so cute!

Yes, that whole scene was so cute and very much the way a little kid would picture his future: Dr. President still has a bunk bed with his brother the VP!

• Love 4

I actually was thinking that it was unlikely that a high school would have such a dress code, until I remembered that this show is set in the '90s. 

Makes Eddie and his crew seem a little more edgy.

• Love 5

i didn't know that episode of Coronation Street was a previous role that Lucille played.  Meta in a good way. 

Eddie and Nicole's friendship is really the best. 

Jessica and Honey's is not.  What happened.  Jessica is just so overbearing now.  Her book storyarc to me was boring. 

• Love 2

I'm relieved this was the season finale. It's become a chore -- Eddie and his friends have been the only part I've enjoyed all season. (Okay, and Grandma. Her little bits are always fun.) Not sure why I'm sticking with it other than it's always hard for me to delete a Season Pass. Inertia!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, snarktini said:

I'm relieved this was the season finale. It's become a chore -- Eddie and his friends have been the only part I've enjoyed all season. (Okay, and Grandma. Her little bits are always fun.) Not sure why I'm sticking with it other than it's always hard for me to delete a Season Pass. Inertia!

Agree.  Even though I still like Louis.  His friendship with Marvin is great.  He does have good moments with Eddie and Emery.  Louis and his mom is always great.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, Sunshinegal said:

Jessica is just so overbearing now. 

Jessica is overbearing now?  She's been overbearing since the first episode.

I don't really mind though, that's just her character.  It's not like having to deal with her in real life.

• Love 3

Eddie and Nicole's friendship really was a highlight this season. Their pretty adorable playing mutual wingman for each other, and Eddie has been really great in how supportive he`s been with her coming out. Eddie and his friends are great in general, they crack me up to no end. 

• Love 7
On 3/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, Camera One said:

This episode wasn't bad, but I hope that book storyline is done for good.  I can't believe it was that easy for Jessica to get something published.  Seeing a pregnant woman dragged around wasn't funny.  There were a bunch of setups which could have been funny, like the pet cemetery but I kept waiting for the punchline.  The other subplots were fine, but just not laugh-out-loud funny.

I have a very tender spot for stuff like this.  I remember when I was about 7 or 8 months pregnant with my first child and my husband and this lady spent about 90 mins chatting outside of a restaurant.  I was so tired and every time I'd try to sit down, they'd say "oh, we're almost done... sorry about that" and then they would keep talking.  I just felt so tired and frustrated.  Being that pregnant it isn't easy to move, you can barely eat (though you're always hungry) and you have to go to the bathroom all the time.  I was really upset that Jessica did that.  I was pleased that Honey told her off, finally. 

Was the term "gender conformity" used then? I was in college in the mid-90s but I don't remember that.  And I didn't know any kids in HS who had come out at all.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I didn't realize this was the season finale until it was mentioned up thread. Seems weird for a show to have an uneven number of episodes for a season.

I didn't realize that Speechless was done for the season, too.  But, they had a decent cliffhanger and here we're waiting for Honey's baby.  This was not my favorite season, though.  Please make Evan less mean.  I could put up with Jessica if it didn't rub off on Evan.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2018 at 12:07 AM, CurlyATX said:

I have a very tender spot for stuff like this.  I remember when I was about 7 or 8 months pregnant with my first child and my husband and this lady spent about 90 mins chatting outside of a restaurant.  I was so tired and every time I'd try to sit down, they'd say "oh, we're almost done... sorry about that" and then they would keep talking.  I just felt so tired and frustrated.  Being that pregnant it isn't easy to move, you can barely eat (though you're always hungry) and you have to go to the bathroom all the time.  I was really upset that Jessica did that.  I was pleased that Honey told her off, finally. 

Was the term "gender conformity" used then? I was in college in the mid-90s but I don't remember that.  And I didn't know any kids in HS who had come out at all.  

OMG you poor thing! You were SUCH a good sport not to go off at them!

I would have launched into the "neutral face of displeasure" after 5 mins and after 10 I would have had a Jessica Huang style fit right there and then!

• Love 1

I'm angry at your husband! Not only did he talk for 90 minutes and ignore your exhaustion, but he kept discouraging you from sitting down while you waited!

I agree Evan was too mean, and also I think Emery was sidelined pretty much for most of the season. But I really loved Eddie, and overall I felt this season was just different than, not lesser than, the others. I like that they're not getting stale and just repeating the same formula year after year.

I also like that grandma is getting more to do than just sit there and offer the occasional punchline. She's more of a character now, less of a prop.

My vicious crush on Constance Wu has made it really easy to ignore how horrible Jessica is to Honey until this episode.  Don't get me wrong, Jessica has always been a really shitty friend but this took the cake for me.

She basically kidnaps Honey and ignores her when she started feeling the contractions!

Honey should have kept the hospital door locked!  Even with that creepy ass clown in there with her!

On 3/28/2018 at 11:05 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I didn't realize that Speechless was done for the season, too.  But, they had a decent cliffhanger and here we're waiting for Honey's baby.  This was not my favorite season, though.  Please make Evan less mean.  I could put up with Jessica if it didn't rub off on Evan.

why did these shows end so soon? so many other sitcoms have yet to end for the season. good grief, i'm old, i remember when a show started in september and ran thru may with no breaks. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, msrachelj said:

why did these shows end so soon? so many other sitcoms have yet to end for the season. good grief, i'm old, i remember when a show started in september and ran thru may with no breaks. 

I think this was a special accommodation to make room for "Rosanne".  Instead of airing reruns in the spring, they just aired new episodes week after week.  Though they did make 4 fewer episodes than last season.