Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: Kathy Griffin, Bari Weiss, Erick Erickson, Ana Navarro, and Trae Crowder

• Start Topic

Comedian Kathy Griffin is the top of the show guest. Journalist Bari Weiss is the mid-show interview. The panelists include comedian Trae Crowder, conservative blogger and radio host, Erick Erickson and Republican political commentator, Ana Navarro. 

• Love 1

Happy to see Kathy Griffith back and glad that the audience showed it's approval as well. She has really been through the mill over that silly little stunt but it was good that she stepped out of the spotlight for awhile and hopefully her return will be successful. Really disproportionate punishment for what she did; and really, glad Bill stuck up for her. Anderson Cooper should be ashamed of himself for his disloyalty to a friend.

Edited by Caseysgirl
Missed a word
  • Love 16

Happy to see Kathy Griffith back and glad that the audience showed it's approval as well. 

I was also happy to see her more relaxed, coherent and on message. In some of her past recent appearances she's come off as unhinged and delusional. But she has a much more serious story to tell now and she seems to appreciate that. This isn't about some petty diva brawl in the green room she saw last month, (though we still enjoy hearing about those). This is about the unraveling of the fabric of this country, and how we put it back together. She looked great too, though maybe even too thin. Stress can do that.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Happy to see Kathy Griffith back and glad that the audience showed it's approval as well. She has really been through the mill over that silly little stunt but it was good that she stepped out of the spotlight for awhile and hopefully her return will be successful. Really disproportionate punishment for what she did; and really, glad Bill stuck up for her. Anderson Cooper should be ashamed of himself for his disloyalty to a friend

I just don't see how what she did isn't any different than people who hung Obama in effigy, in the fact that both fall well within protected speech. Now of course that doesn't mean the company she's under contract with can't terminate their relationship. It's a spineless move. But the fact that she faced government reprisal is literally unconstitutional. I'm surprised she didn't sue the government for being responsible for her lost work. 

• Love 12

I just can't with Navarro. I don't find her particularly insightful, and I still am ticked she insulted Sarah Silverman. If someone talked like that to my friend, there's no way she'd be back on the show. 

I'm glad Bill brought up Kansas. You can say Reagan's tax cuts didn't work (which they didn't), but that's so long ago for people. Kansas is still in the rear view mirror. Trickle down has never worked so much that there's considerably enough data to conclude that it just won't. 

There can be a academic community that thinks it's a credible theory, but it's just not. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

I can't believe with all the stuff going on on Bill's show the biggest problem is always those over-sensitive liberals. Of course Bari Weiss was on once again to complain that she was attacked on Twitter and then used her Times column to complain about it and came on TV to complain about it again. She always paints it as the most extreme thing--she quoted the line from Hamilton wrong and "the Left" fringe attacked her. Of course she's not going to allow that anyone else had a point, which was why are you referring to a woman born in California as an immigrant? Since that's actually something Asian-Americans have to put up with a lot (and it also plays into the Right's immigration plans--they're starting to want to refer to people as second generation immigrants as if they're still somehow foreign). Like it's fine to acknowledge that some people are obnoxious on the Left but as someone recently said on Twitter from the NYT editorial pages you'd think over-sensitive college students were the biggest problems the country had.

And then Bill goes and blames them for Trump. Yes, all those people who voted for Trump did it because they have so much contact with college students ho lectured them on the meaning of cis-gendered. They were just harangued into their racism. If Liberals would just get the sticks out of their asses and throw minorities under the bus more those poor people could vote for them.

Also, how does Bill still not understand why someone else having a gun in a shooter situation could make it worse? There's little chance they'll kill the gunman and a good chance the police will kill them when they show up.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 20

I was just going to say, wasn't the mid show guest on like 3 weeks ago? So she got flamed for a tweet? Here's the thing, if you're outraged over the outrage, doesn't that give credibility to the outrage? Why not just say, "oh my bad, I was just commenting on how immigration in general is good for the country. I know she's a second generation US citizen, but you get my point, she was born here when her parents came to this country." Or something like that.

11 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Also, how does Bill still not understand why someone else having a gun in a shooter situation could make it worse?

Obviously, it's way worse because the so called "good guy with a gun" tried to do his good guy thing in a mall in MN and the police didn't know and ended up shooting him, but I think he was saying at that point, people are being shot and killed, so why not take the chance you might get the shooter? It was ridiculously short sighted. I thought he was making a joke in poor taste, which is fine, but if he's actually serious, then he's acting like an idiot.

I'm very surprised Bill didn't push back on the "people don't want to be hectored by celebrities." They can say what they want and use their platform to raise awareness for more diversity in the workplace, getting clean water to needy communities, or lobbying for Lebron to sign with the Lakers. I'm not under any obligation to listen to them, and neither is anyone else, but I found comment to be careless.

Then she's saying "why aren't we talking about Saudi Arabia," and proceeds to criticize the same tactic later on. I'm just not getting it. 

I strained my eye from rolling it so hard at the "the media parses too much of Trump's words." Obama was torn to shreds in the media over putting mustard on his hamburger. And, no, you can't ignore his tweets. That's the official position of the president. Courts issued rulings based on that. 

• Love 11

I never read her columns but the digital stain and weaponizing outrage seemed pretty credible to me.

Social media is toxic and it amplifies the screeching cries of the proverbial angry mob.

Yes I'm aware right wing targets millennial snowflakes who cry about micro aggressions but there is definitely a phenomenon of the far left imposing purity tests on others for being insufficiently ideological.  Hence we had Bernie Bros and people wasting votes on Russian stooges like Stein.

Hence why we have Trump.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, scrb said:

Yes I'm aware right wing targets millennial snowflakes who cry about micro aggressions but there is definitely a phenomenon of the far left imposing purity tests on others for being insufficiently ideological.  Hence we had Bernie Bros and people wasting votes on Russian stooges like Stein.

Yeah, but that's not what they were saying. Bill specifically called Trump "the antidote" to political correctness. Nothing about Bernie Bros and Jill Stein voters being too good to act in the interests of others. I can't even remember if he's ever called them out. For him it's always, iirc, about chasing the Trump voters more than the Purer-than-thou liberals. And when it comes to people like BR it may sound very reasonable when she says that in-fighting among the left is a problem (which it absolutely is) but she while claims the left is a problem for saying some people aren't sufficiently feminist (probably referring to herself and others who attack the Me Too movement as if it's destroying careers right and left) when they should be complaining about Saudi Arabia, but she herself would rather write columns about how anyone who was rude to her on Twitter is terrible. (Meanwhile, didn't she come to fame originally by trying to get an anthropology professor at Columbia fired for not passing her own personal purity test?)

• Love 4

Overall I thought it was a pretty good show. I feel two ways about Kathy Griffin. On the one hand, I can totally see how if a conservative comic had held up a severed Obama head the left would be screaming bloody blue murder. On the other hand, there are plenty of celebrities who have done far worse things - sports celebrities, in particular - who were quickly forgiven so they could come back and play. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if a conservative comic had done the same thing with an Obama head they would have been far less upset. At any rate, I'm glad Kathy is still working, and I think the new hairdo is very flattering on her.

Best joke in a long time: you could tell it was Trump's dick because it was in Sean Hannity's mouth.

Erick Erickson - this fucking guy. Oh yeah, trickle down economics works if you cut spending. Yeah, that's the problem. If you just take away people's healthcare and cut medicaid and food stamps and mental health programs . . . poor people would be doing much better! Yeah, the math on that totally adds up. Now, if you're willing to cut military spending, we can talk. Otherwise? Shut it.

I honestly don't know why the hell Bill is giving any credit at all to Trump for talking to Kim Jong Un. Trump is the one who rattled the cage in the first place with his inflammatory tweets and thinly veiled threats of war with them. 

I do, however, agree that the one positive thing Trump may have accomplished is that evangelicals are losing all credibility in having the moral high ground with their blatant hypocrisy about Trump. 

Was there no Overtime this week? Did they say why?

They didn't say why, but no, there wasn't an Overtime.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly don't know why the hell Bill is giving any credit at all to Trump for talking to Kim Jong Un.

Bill did point out that since Kim is finally at the point where he's consolidated his power that he's looking outward more. I think that's more likely. I also think that China has an enormous stake in maintaining the status quo and maybe has been quietly suggesting that maybe using the Olympics as a platform to tone it all down. 

I don't really see what a summit would do beyond just keeping everything steady, and maybe that's good enough. You really need to re open the six party talks if you're going to get anything done. 

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Erick Erickson - this fucking guy.

Yeah, and you know saying those evengelicals aligned with Trump will face a very angry god is effectively useless because they won't. How about using your position to call them out and hold them accountable instead? 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, opus said:

The only thing I saw was a scroll saying Overtime will return next week

They didn't say it, but he had a show last night in Vegas as well as tonight. They tape Real Time at 7 PST and his stand-up show is at 10. This has happened before.

48 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Nothing about Bernie Bros and Jill Stein voters being too good to act in the interests of others. I can't even remember if he's ever called them out.

He did call them out after the election citing how Jill Stein got more votes than Trump's margin of victory in key swing states. He called them out before the election too. Remember the saying: "If you can't get the fish, eat the chicken." That was referring to Bernie and Hillary respectively. He was rightfully worried about them spoiling the election. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

He did call them out after the election citing how Jill Stein got more votes than Trump's margin of victory in key swing states. He called them out before the election too. Remember the saying: "If you can't get the fish, eat the chicken." That was referring to Bernie and Hillary respectively. He was rightfully worried about them spoiling the election. 

Oh yes! i do remember that. Now that I think about he absolutely has talked about it from that angle any number of times. Not in this ep, but yeah, he's always been rightfully disgusted by liberals that let perfect be the enemy of good.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Not in this ep, but yeah, he's always been rightfully disgusted by liberals that let perfect be the enemy of good.

They talked about that iirc when Sarah Silverman was on because she had called out the people at the convention. 

Guess what, Bill? After you gave us hell for not giving Trump a medal for " negotiating" with North Korea as no other President has and going on and on about how maybe these two wild and crazy guys might just save the world, we find out that just as WE all thought it was nothing but bluff and blunder on Trump's part.  So shut it, Bill.

• Love 7

I just can't with Navarro. I don't find her particularly insightful, and I still am ticked she insulted Sarah Silverman. If someone talked like that to my friend, there's no way she'd be back on the show. 

Yes, yes, 1000x yes.

She's bugged me for years. She fits a demo that show bookers die for - Latina Republican. But when you dig into her experience and resume, it is very thin. Some sinecure title-only positions in Bush family campaigns, probably resulting from generous donations. And how convenient that her boyfriend turns out to be a big Dem donor. Sounds like he and she are perfectly hedged.

She never has anything interesting to say. It's all hacky and shallow and what dull-witted people find "sassy."  I could go to the supermarket and find someone in her demo who has a lot more interesting insights.

Nothing about Bernie Bros and Jill Stein voters being too good to act in the interests of others

Hmm. Maybe it's because there is nothing to say on that point? Stein made no difference (Nate Silver did a great analysis of this after the election) and the Sanders supporters voted in higher percentages for Clinton than her supporters voted for Obama in 2008.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Hmm. Maybe it's because there is nothing to say on that point? Stein made no difference (Nate Silver did a great analysis of this after the election) and the Sanders supporters voted in higher percentages for Clinton than her supporters voted for Obama in 2008.

I wasn't saying they *should* have been talking about them here, I was disagreeing with the statement that when Bill and Barri complained about in-fighting on the left they were talking about Bernie or Jill. Bill in this episode was specifically saying that the Left was driving people to vote *Trump* by being too shrill.

• Love 1

I used to be a big fan of Kathy Griffin and that D-list show.  She seems irrepressible as ever.  Or maybe she was putting up a front.  Back in the days of the D-list, it seemed like she was looking to squirrel away as many nuts for the winter, so by now, I hope that she doesn't have to grind it out as she alluded to, that she has FU money.  But it seems she would still try to accumulate more, continue to book as many gigs as possible.  Or maybe it's more about wanting to stay in the public eye than the money.

I'm no fan of Trump but if he did pull off a deal with NK, he'd have to get a lot of credit.  My recollection is that Republicans haven't wanted to negotiate with NK at all.  For instance, Clinton cut a deal but as soon as Bush got into office, he was saying NK was cheating, just as Trump said about Iran.

NK has wanted direct talks with the US if I'm not mistaken and Republicans have always rejected that.  So Kim wanting nukes as insurance against what happened to Saddam and Libya, which is to get toppled and killed, is not surprising.

So Trump saying he'd go to NK to meet with Rocketman would be kind of like Nixon going to China moment.  But good chance he won't go through with it.

It would be great if they convinced him that NK would be allowed to cut deals with SK and other countries, get back into the world.  Or if they bribed him to set his family up in exile in some lucrative villa in Switzerland.  But China is not going to want a unified Korea on its border either.

Anyways, a long shot that Trump would be the one to fix this problem.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

No matter what anyone is trying to talk about, she ties it to Trump. I get it. She hates Trump. A lot of people do, but they can also speak about other topics coherently for five minutes. Then there is that perpetual smirk. I can't stand it when she is part of a panel these days. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

So Trump saying he'd go to NK to meet with Rocketman would be kind of like Nixon going to China moment.  But good chance he won't go through with it.

Well, it would be that in a superficial way. The main difference is that Nixon knew something about China and had given a lot of thought to what he was doing. With Trump he's probably just happy a famous person is wanting to meet with him. If he goes he'll go in clueless, agree with whatever the other person says in the moment, say it was great and then pretend he did whatever people say he should have done afterwards.

• Love 8

I was glad to see Griffin back and working.  While I never found her all that funny I hated what was done to her.

I don't mind Navarro, at least she isn't a coward like so many of her political party these days.  She puts her true feelings out there for all to see.  On a shallow note I did not like her make-up and her hair style last night.  

Whenever Maher gets to attacking certain liberal factions he always goes off the rails. He should focus on our worse problems and leave the extra special snow flakes in their extra special fantasy world.

The rest of us have to live in the real world and I am pretty much frightened for the future every day now.  I can't be bothered with those who think most people - including me - are not politically "pure" enough. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I was glad to see Griffin back and working.  While I never found her all that funny I hated what was done to her.

Never really cared for her.  I think she could have predicted what would happen to her with that little stunt.  But, freedom of expression & all that, however, she lost me when she hauled out that lawyer & started sobbing.  How about owning it?

• Love 2
On 3/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, DrScottie said:

They didn't say it, but he had a show last night in Vegas as well as tonight. They tape Real Time at 7 PST and his stand-up show is at 10. This has happened before.

Yes it has before and I've said before that it's a dick move on Bill's part. I'd feel bad about repeating myself, but given his guests this week and the amount of time spent on yet another round of Bill complaining about liberals pointing out that he's said some stupid and offensive crap why not? You do one show a week. You want critical acclaim and recognition. Do your job, including the "extras". If you were skipping Overtime to do a benefit that's fine, but to skip something that is often more enjoyable than the show so you can earn a few bucks in Vegas is a disservice to the audience and is the kind of laziness that will keep him from ever receiving the awards and critical acclaim that he is sto desperately seeking.

You are correct. Repeating myself again, but he was saying it before the election and he can be justly proud of getting the 2016 election right all along. Not only about the danger of Trump and the possibility of the voters doing something stupid, but he was saying all along that being too ideologically pure to accept an extremely qualified candidate who is more centrist than you is stupid and can only lead to something worse.

Edited by wknt3
typos :-(
  • Love 4

Can you get from LA to Vegas in 2-3 hours?

Studio would have to be next to the airport?

I'm sure those gigs are too lucrative and he probably made it a condition of his contract that he could do those gigs.

Maybe they tape earlier on those dates when he has to run off to a gig after a taping.

I don't really see OT as part of the show. Bill consistently works the circuit, so if he had a gig, he had a gig. It's probably in his contract. He's not shirking any obligations. 

I have no how if the show ends at 8 that he's in Vegas for curtain at 10 though. The flight is an hour, so he'd have to land by 09.30 in Vegas to make the show on time. I suppose he could have a charter flight. 

14 hours ago, scrb said:

Studio would have to be next to the airport?

I'm sure those gigs are too lucrative and he probably made it a condition of his contract that he could do those gigs.

Maybe they tape earlier on those dates when he has to run off to a gig after a taping.

It's only a 1 hour flight -- as @DB in CMH mentioned, helicopter or private jet can get you there in time.

Jay Leno used to do it frequently -- tape the Tonight Show and then perform in Vegas on the same night.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jay Leno used to do it frequently -- tape the Tonight Show and then perform in Vegas on the same night.

ICBW, but I think Jay Leno taped his show around 5 or 6, not 8 like Bill does. 

I don't watch Overtime very often so I don't really miss it when it's not there.  I feel like they should just extend the show by 15 or 30 minutes if they want a protracted discussion.

I’m starting to hope HBO gives Bill a three hour solo show just to talk about the culture of outrage ruining the world and then he forever holds his peace. FFS I’m starting to miss him shitting on religion. He hasn’t mentioned Mormon underpants in 2 weeks. Also, Ana Navarro: on the slim chance you’re reading this, stop testing your comedy act on the panel.

Otherwise I liked the show! :)

26 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I can't find O/T on Youtube ... could someone give me the link, please.  Thanks in advance.

There wasn’t one this week.

• Love 1

Bill chastising liberals about Drumpf's upcoming meeting with NK's Kim, and also blaming them for putting Drumph in the White House because of their so-called "identity politics", among other examples, is why Bill doesn't deserve to be a voice that liberals need to hear anymore. He thinks he's being edgy and forward thinking with his contrarian outlooks when in reality he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

And I'm going to come out and say that the reason we saw that whiner Bari Weiss again in three weeks is because Bill's bookers are having a difficult time getting guests to come on his show. That people are getting fed up with his horrible attitude and his growing obnoxious ways that they don't want anything to do with him. That's probably why we're only seeing a two person panel every so often.

• Love 2
On 3/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, ganesh said:

I don't really see OT as part of the show.

I don't either, by the time the show ends its regular hour, I'm done, I usually don't want to hear anything else from the panelists or Bill.  There are exceptions of course like Salman Rushdie.

Edited by sugarbaker design

What I like about Overtime, is having the top of the show interesting guests, who I wished had been on the panel instead. Or having certain assholes having said asses handed to them like Larry Wilmore and Malcolm Nance did to that Milo arsehole.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Or having certain assholes having said asses handed to them like Larry Wilmore and Malcolm Nance did to that Milo arsehole.

That was awesome!  And honestly, I don't think I would've tuned in to Overtime had I not heard about the ass handing.

• Love 1

I've typed and then deleted about half a dozen responses to this ep; that's how frustrated and yet bored I am by the regurgitation of the themes of the season.

But I'm feeling a smallish desire to do a smallish pushback on using Stormy Daniels's job as a punchline. That was The Whole Joke of the monologue: She's a porn star! Yuk, yuk, snicker! All the funny built right in! We dudes have to deem porn stars as stupid, otherwise, we'd be the stupid ones for giving them their careers by watching porn! Who but a stupid creature would have sex on camera for money?!? It doesn't matter nobody actually knows anything about her (other than big boobs in small dress), we can just assume! Aren't I a funny comedian writer person, to be able to wreak such humor from such a subtle and clever trope! Just like my Chris Christie is Fat jokes! I'm a genius!

I was happy to see Kathy back again (and her new 'do is dope!), but I admit I wanted her to make a deep classical dive about Judith and Holofernes.

That nobody pushed back on Son of Erick's insistence that R's never cut spending when they cut taxes (See 4-day-per-week schools in Kansas and Oklahoma), was a source of irritation for me as well.

Edited by attica
  • Love 5
On 3/10/2018 at 7:02 PM, scrb said:

On 3/10/2018 at 9:28 PM, DB in CMH said:

I would assume helicopter. I think he's talked about this before. 

I was listening to the latest A J Benza podcast and he said he flew to Las Vegas with Bill last Friday night by private jet. In case anyone cares, he also said that they went to the Spearmint Rhino after Bill's stand-up show.