Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: AKA Facetime

Loved Jessica at the country club. I didn't see the final twist coming, mainly because I thought Jessica and Mum had seen each other face to face in a previous episode. 

The story is getting a bit more interesting, but the pacing's still too slow. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

I didn't see the final twist coming

I knew it! I'm not sure how but I freaking knew it, lol! I don't know why but I had a feeling, early on, who the wig woman was going to be. I feel almost clairvoyant this year, lol, from guessing the occasional dialogue response, like when the wig maker was asked if there was anything more to tell and she looked at Trish for more money, I just knew her answer was going to be "No". LMAO.

48 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

but the pacing's still too slow. 

I don't think it's TOO slow, I really enjoy the slow burn style that all the Marvel Netflix shows employ. I'm not sure why but I assume it might be from all the reading I did as a kid; these episodes all play out like chapters to me. I will agree that the shows all seem slower in the first seasons, where we are still getting to know all the characters while trying to figure out where the story is going at the same time. I've found seasons 2 of both DD and JJ, plus Defenders and Punisher, to a lesser extent, feel a bit quicker paced due to the main characters already being well established. However you see it, they are all pretty top notch productions.

• Love 9

• The scene between Jessica and the Super was pretty hot. What’s more, I found the use of the purple paint fascinating. Was it intended to foreshadow a future appearance by Kilgrave? Was it symbolic of the continued impact he has on her romantic and sexual choices? 

• Props to the make up team for an excellent job of creating Trish’s strung out look. A further kudos to Rachael Taylor who is doing a great job of portraying her paranoia and erratic mood swings as she spirals into first addiction and then withdrawal. 

• How  could Jessica not recognise her own mother? Surely she’d have been old enough to have memories of what she looked like? At least I was half right that the figure from her flashback was a parent. I just thought it’d be her father instead of her mother. 

11 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

Loved Jessica at the country club. I didn't see the final twist coming, mainly because I thought Jessica and Mum had seen each other face to face in a previous episode. 

The story is getting a bit more interesting, but the pacing's still too slow. 

They did. Jessica and her mum met when her mum pretended to be Doctor Leslie Hanson. The doctor who had been murdered and her burnt out skull was used to identify her. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

• How  could Jessica not recognise her own mother? Surely she’d have been old enough to have memories of what she looked like? At least I was half right that the figure from her flashback was a parent. I just thought it’d be her father instead of her mother. 

I wonder if years of trying to block out all her memories worked against her in this case. It is not like she has pictures of her family up in her apartment, that plus the drinking and other various trauma might make hrr memories of what people look like a lot less clear.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I wonder if years of trying to block out all her memories worked against her in this case. It is not like she has pictures of her family up in her apartment, that plus the drinking and other various trauma might make hrr memories of what people look like a lot less clear.

Replying in all episodes thread :) 

Plus there's the wig, and she wasn't avoiding making eye contact with Jessica during that first meeting, and it was a dark-ish bar. Added onto the fact that she was pretending to be someone else and Jessica believed her mother to be dead, it's not unreasonable for Jessica to miss it then.

• Love 3
On 3/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, Daltrey said:

I knew it! I'm not sure how but I freaking knew it, lol! I don't know why but I had a feeling, early on, who the wig woman was going to be.

Yeah, the same. I wasn't surprised by this because my bells were ringing during that bar scene a few episodes ago.

This is as far as I've gotten for this season for now and I think so far that things are pretty well paced. We've got multiple storylines going on and I feel they are all meshing together pretty well. I was worried that after how utterly terrifying Kilgrave was last season that they'd have a hard time topping that but wig lady/mom is legit scary. 

• Love 2

Don't know how I feel about Malcolm and Trish. If Trish wasn't getting addicted then it would be great but right now it seems like this isn't going to end well for Malcolm.

Holy moly, Jessica's mom eh?

I'm with the people who are wondering why she didn't recognize her. I'm thinking maybe she actually isn't and the doctor and this lady are playing Jessica for some reason? Either way this makes the season even better and more interesting.

• Love 3

Regarding Jessica not recognizing her mom; following the accident we se that her moms injuries include severe burns to the head and face. I assume skin grafts and possibly even facial reconstruction, coupled with Jessica's belief that she's been dead for almost 20 years, would very reasonably cause her not to recognize her mom.

• Love 6

So, Janet McTeer is Jessica's mom, huh?  Not sure why Jessica didn't recognize her unless the injuries were so bad that she had enough surgery that made her look completely different then she use to be.  Actually, now that I think about it, we've seen Jessica's mom in the flashback before the wreck, so I'm guessing that is what happened.

This episode sure was all about the hook-ups that will probably not end up well.  Jessica will probably end up pushing the superintendent away like she always does, and as for Trish and Malcolm, considering that Trish just took a huff of Simpson juice before the deed, I'm sure things will change once that wears off the morning after.

You know, Jeri, if you really don't trust someone who is living in your apartment, it wouldn't hurt to at least lock up pricey stuff.  But it looks like the nurse wants to help now that she knows about the ALS, and it seems like there was another patient there that has incredible healing powers.  Hmm... 

Well then. That was something I didn't see happening. I am surprised Jessica didn't recognize her mom, although I guess a lot of facial reconstruction could have helped with that. I guess it does make some sense. 

Other than that, it was a good episode building up to some stuff that's going to explode later down the line. Malcolm is going to get hurt by Trish, so no surprise there. Hopefully he can also dish some out to her, because she needs a reality check. As much as I do not like this addiction storyline, Rachael Taylor is doing a solid job with it. 

Oh, Jeri. It looks like Inez is willing to help her now, and to also help herself. I assume the two will also hook up at some point? Some information about a healer, so it'll be interesting to meet that boy at some point. 

• Love 1

I knew it! Just the way the woman responded to her, when they met. She was protecting her, too. Sloppy, emotional, reacting impulsively, just like her, only stronger. 

And her reaction to the crying baby.

I missed the story about a boy that can heal. I suppose it would be too much to think it's the one guy's son, and that's one reason why he's so protective of him. 

• Love 1

I didn't see the reveal coming either.  As I've always said, it's nice to be surprised. 

Very good episode once again although I suspect this will be another Marvel Netflix series that will last 3-4 episodes too long.

Edited by benteen

I know I'm supposed to think that Jessica and Oscar doing it in paint was sexy but no. So cliche.

I don't mind them hooking up but I kept thinking about how Oscar said in the previous episode that his mom lived there and hoping she wouldn't walk out of her bedroom to find them having sex on the floor in a puddle of paint.

Trish's addiction storyline holds no interest for me. It's been done a million times and so far this one isn't any different. I did like her being nice to Malcolm, but I agreed with Jessica about Trish leading him on. Now that they've had sex, poor Malcolm is going to get his heart broken by Trish!

I can't wait to hear why Dr. Karl had to inject Jessica's mother to get her into the car. Is this one of those "I have to protect you from yourself" things?

I know Jessica thought she was terrible for taking Ambrose's kid hostage in exchange for information but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have hurt that kid if push came to shove.

I was distracted, and didn't see them doing it in paint. That's a bugger to get out of hair (not that I've been in that same situation, I used to be an artist.) Unless he was using watercolors or acrylic, I guess. It's been a while.

I need to watch this season again, when I don't have so much on my mind. I'm missing a lot. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Someone did a cute Twitter thread about Googling how to get paint out of your vagina.  I don't think she could find any results.  I really could relate because that's exactly what I was worried about.

Although yeah, I did find it sexy.  He's like an Enrique Iglesias for Millennials.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Upon rewatch, Krysten's acting is so much more nuanced as she enters the house.   Hearing the music that presumably her mother listened to,  observing the sangria.   In the basement, smelling the same scent of perfume that her dead mother wore and not quite able to put together how all these things felt so familiar to her.  She looked so positively confused up until she saw the photograph of herself and Philip. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 4

So I'm amused by the repeated theme of Jessica finding out important news (about Trish, at least) via gossip magazines. And also impressed by how quickly these mags are getting their scoops to publication. Seriously, wasn't it only a day before that Griffin proposed to Trish?

Trish on that drug-and-justice induced high is rather unsettling. I think Rachael Taylor is doing a nice job of portraying the different layers to it, the pent up aggression and rage. And then the comedown afterwards. She looked trashed when she met up with Jessica outside the pawnbrokers. And clearly, that stuff is addictive, which is going to end really badly. Speaking of ending really badly, Trish jumping Malcolm is going to be a huge mess.

I liked the idea of the two of them, but not this way. Trish is going to end up doing all the things Malcolm was apologising to his ex-girlfriend for. But more good Malcolm stuff (and I don't mean his butt... well, not specifically). This is sort of what I was looking for with him, to see how he handles facing the people he knew before, and during, his addiction. He obviously hurt people who cared about him, and did it more than once.

But I don't really buy "I was an addict waiting to happen". That seems like a retrofit, when the sickener last year was that Kilgrave took this upstanding, decent guy and reduced him to what he was when we first met him.

I was shocked that the crazy lady is actually Jessica's mother, but I guess I shouldn't have been. It's a common enough superhero trope for mysterious villains to actually be relatives. But I'm actually not happy that they've gone down that route. It just feels like a cheap way of making this even more personal. But scenes that just have Jessica silently surveying places are good, because we get to see Krysten Ritter playing her perceptiveness and, in this case, increasing awareness. Acting without dialogue is not easy, but she does it well. The music and the perfume clearly triggering memories.

It's inconvenient that the mentally unstable, homeless girl is still hot enough to distract Jeri, huh?

I now just roll my eyes whenever I see the '6F' door number. I really do not care about Oscar and his kid. Had Jessica already slept with him before this episode? I honestly can't remember. And painting a sleeping person without their permission is no less creepy and intrusive than taking pictures of them. Why is the show perpetuating the idea that if hot guys do something creepy, it's cute?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't really buy "I was an addict waiting to happen". That seems like a retrofit, when the sickener last year was that Kilgrave took this upstanding, decent guy and reduced him to what he was when we first met him.

Totally agree, that felt off to me as well. I'm not really sure what the point of that possibly could have been. As for the trope of superheroes having relatives for antagonists, I think JJ the show has taken this as far as they possibly can. In the case of a third season I feel they must come up with something not so close to home or it will become too ridiculous, even for a genre show only slightly rooted in realism. 

On 3/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, Danny Franks said:

I now just roll my eyes whenever I see the '6F' door number. I really do not care about Oscar and his kid. Had Jessica already slept with him before this episode? I honestly can't remember. And painting a sleeping person without their permission is no less creepy and intrusive than taking pictures of them. Why is the show perpetuating the idea that if hot guys do something creepy, it's cute?

I was going to post the same thing. I was creeped out for Jessica. And, no, they didn't have sex before. When they were in Jess' apartment they began making out, but Oscar stopped it. 

Meanwhile, what happened to the octopus? Did it survive the cracked glass? Did it use a tentacle to plug the crack until an aquarium employee was able to seal it? Did they call Oscar and ask him to bring his tool belt? 

And, while I don't remember the line (and don't want to go into the quotes thread), I loved JJ telling the pawn shop owner about all the fish and people who were harmed in order to convince him to show her and Trish the video. 

• Love 1
On 3/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, Wayward Son said:

• The scene between Jessica and the Super was pretty hot. What’s more, I found the use of the purple paint fascinating. Was it intended to foreshadow a future appearance by Kilgrave? Was it symbolic of the continued impact he has on her romantic and sexual choices? 

I thought the colors were a reference to the opening credits.  All those bright colors are part of her brand.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Someone did a cute Twitter thread about Googling how to get paint out of your vagina.

One of my favorite Big Bang Theory jokes has Howard and Bernadette dressed up as Papa Smurf and Smurfette for Halloween.  Howard starts to have second thoughts about going, but Bernadette tells him he is going because "I'm going to be getting blue paint out of my smurf for a month".

Didn't see the big twist at the end coming.  Well, I realized it as Jessica was looking through the stuff, remembering, but I would have never seen it coming.

By the way, I don't think it's creepy for an artist to paint someone sleeping.  Artists are always looking for subject matter, it's just what they do.  Get over yourself, Jess.

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

By the way, I don't think it's creepy for an artist to paint someone sleeping.  Artists are always looking for subject matter, it's just what they do. 

It's not the painting that's creepy, it's that he did it without her consent. Since she was sleeping, she couldn't even say "no." Would it have been OK if, instead of giving it to her, he had it displayed in a gallery or sold it to someone? Whether I look at it from the perspective of JJ's right to privacy being invaded, or as a metaphor for sexual misconduct, I still find it creepy and wrong.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

It's not the painting that's creepy, it's that he did it without her consent. Since she was sleeping, she couldn't even say "no." Would it have been OK if, instead of giving it to her, he had it displayed in a gallery or sold it to someone? Whether I look at it from the perspective of JJ's right to privacy being invaded, or as a metaphor for sexual misconduct, I still find it creepy and wrong.

Agreed. The question that should be asked is, would this have been okay if he was a photographer, and took photos of a sleeping woman he'd had sex with? I think most people would say absolutely not. Just because he uses paints and a brush, it doesn't make the invasion of privacy any less valid. 

• Love 1
On 3/22/2018 at 1:43 PM, Loandbehold said:

Eh, I just don't get it.  I know the #MeToo stuff is all the rage now and all, but I don't even see it as being that creepy to watch her sleep.  I mean, okay, if he got up and was standing there watching her, yeah that's creepy.  But if he woke up and was laying in bed and maybe was looking at her for awhile before he got up, I don't see that as criminal.  And maybe it would be wrong to display it in a gallery, but he didn't, he gave her the picture.  She could have destroyed if she had wanted.  Honestly, while it was a nice picture, I didn't even think it looked all that much like her anyway.  

I mean it seems a little silly to say "Okay, I was in your bed because you were just inside me, but don't look at me while I'm asleep".

Edited by rmontro

I had these theories about this episode that turned out to be so wrong :P .

When the nurse with the scars saw the ALS pills and told Jeri about the healing guy, I thought she was lying. (Although I guess she still could be lying).

Then when Jessica got into that room in the house, I thought it would turn out that Jessica's brother was alive and was the one who had the healing powers.

And then her Mum came in :P .

On 3/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, Daltrey said:

Regarding Jessica not recognizing her mom; following the accident we se that her moms injuries include severe burns to the head and face. I assume skin grafts and possibly even facial reconstruction, coupled with Jessica's belief that she's been dead for almost 20 years, would very reasonably cause her not to recognize her mom.

I can buy that, but why wouldn't Jessica have recognized her voice when they met in the bar? Jessica was a young teenager when the accident happened, so she should remember her mother's voice. Unless the burns and/or surgeries also affected the voice--which I guess it could.

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Then when Jessica got into that room in the house, I thought it would turn out that Jessica's brother was alive and was the one who had the healing powers.

I'm confused about the timeline. The homeless former nurse said that there was a boy who could heal, but how long ago did she work for IGH? How does that fit with when Jessica and her family had the accident? If the healer is Jessica's brother, wouldn't he be an adult now?

4 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I'm confused about the timeline. The homeless former nurse said that there was a boy who could heal, but how long ago did she work for IGH? How does that fit with when Jessica and her family had the accident? If the healer is Jessica's brother, wouldn't he be an adult now?

I don't see why it couldn't be (at the moment at least). We don't know how many people IGH experimented on. So far it seems it was Jessica, her Mum, that fast dude and this healing guy.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎24 at 4:37 PM, Paloma said:
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 3:54 PM, Daltrey said:

I can buy that, but why wouldn't Jessica have recognized her voice when they met in the bar? Jessica was a young teenager when the accident happened, so she should remember her mother's voice. Unless the burns and/or surgeries also affected the voice--which I guess it could.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎24 at 3:45 PM, Quark said:

Yes, I would assume the voice could be affected as well.

If you haven't gotten there yet, it will all come to make sense.

• Love 1

Hubby and I have been watching a couple of episodes at a time, got to this point last night.

As soon as Jessica picked up the picture of her and her brother, I said "Yep, knew that was coming!"  Hubby didn't pick up the cues at all and was wondering how I knew.  I had to think about it for a bit and then I remembered when Jessica cornered her mom in the bar, first of all her mom avoided looking her in the eye until Jessica demanded, but remember when Jessica said they should've just let her die?  Her mom's response was for all the world like she was scolding a bratty child.  "You ungrateful . . . !"  After that all the clues just started piling up.

• Love 1

Wow, did not see that coming! I guess maybe Jessica didn't really get a good look at her face? Or Jessica's drink king is finally burning brain cells? Or maybe it will be explained later as a part of her powers? 

Love Jessica at the country club. Jessica in snobby situations is just comedy gold every time. And I actually thought she and the Super seemed to be working pretty well. Paint sex was pretty smokin, even though I am still holding out in fully embracing it. For one thing, he was such a dick to her at first, and for another thing, Jess doesn't really make the best relationship choices, so this probably wont end well. 

Trish really does look like she is falling apart. 

Malcolm and Trish... not liking it.  And not enjoying Trish self-destructing.  Malcolm's still the season MVP for me.  What about Griffin?  Hasn't he been up to some shenanigans that haven't been mentioned in a long while?

I thought Jessica and the Super would have happened a few episodes ago, or they'd hold out until the very end.  I'm enjoying their pairing.  And Paint Sex...

I think it was obvious it was the Mom.  I was initially thinking Jessica's brother in that first mysterious attack on Simpson, but once we were introduced to the female doctor at the bar, I think it was clear it was the mom.

I kept thinking Hogarth and the homeless nurse would become something, and actually enjoyed their interactions, but nope, we have a super who can heal people.  So, bets on where Hogarth or the nurses bites it by season's end?  Both?  And what to make of this healing boy?  Another major player halfway into the season?  Just a mention?  I like the suggestion of Jessica's brother for the healer...