Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: The Final Frontier

• Start Topic

When a missile intended to bring water to stranded astronauts in space is hacked. President Kirkman must work with Russia and enlists the help of Dr. Andrea Frost to help save lives and find out who is behind the hack. Meanwhile, Hannah finds herself working with Damian again.

Ok, well  that was better than last week. Just two or three plot threads this week if you count  the scenes with Penny. I’m glad they are letting McKenna Grace AKA Little Tonya Harding actually look her age. I like how something as basic as water is what caused the crises. But doesn’t the ISS keep lots of water on board? Is recycling urine a thing yet?—it will be if humans are going to get to Mars.

The way Kiefer and Kim look at at other! I can’t even. So much history, their one scene together in 24: Live Another Day tore my heart out. This episode…was not that. But I do like KR’s Elon Muskish character. Hope she gets to stay around for another episode or more.

Tom firing Moss was stupid. It was good scene though.

I like Lyor despite (or because?) he’s so self centred. At least he admitted that he didn’t deserve that Rocket Prize.

• Love 4
(edited)

Why was Hannah blaming Damien for the rocket hack? He only warned her about it, there was no sign that he was behind it. Hannah's seething hatred is clouding her judgment. The messenger may well be Satan himself, but that doesn't mean he can't bevtelling you the truth. I thought their options favored delaying the launch rather than risk losing the rocket. Why did they launch it anyway?

Kirkman is treating the driver like he deliberately murdered FLOTUS rather than it being a case of distracted driving that it apparently was. How the public will react to the purloined video is hard to predict. I'm sure some would be hoping for compassion and forgiveness, not all-consuming hatred. Kirkman's obsession (someone must pay for my wife's death!) is a common reaction to grief. It can be irrational abd understandable at the same time. But it's liable to get him removed from office under Section 4 of the 25th Amendment. Bring back Timothy Busfield.

Edited by Bobbin
Added thought.
  • Love 4
(edited)

"Kirkman is treating the driver like he deliberately murdered FLOTUS rather than it being a case of distracted driving that it apparently was. How the public will react to the purloined video is hard to predict. "

Well, but there's always an escalation of outrage depending on who the victim of something like this is.  Drive distracted and kill some random adult?  "That's terrible.  He should go to jail."  Drive distracted and kill a child?  "That's horrible!  He should go to jail for 40 years!" Drive distracted and kill a pregnant woman?  "That's criminal!  He should be charged with two counts of murder and get the chair!"   Drive distracted and kill a law enforcement officer?  Well, that may actually end up being a high level felony, depending on the circumstances.

So, in this case, driving distracted and killing a high profile public figure, a mother and FLOTUS to boot, public sentiment may be with Kirkman.

Edited by janeta
  • Love 5

I was hoping this would be The Final Frontier for Hannah. She took up half the show. Yeah , we get it , she's the most bad ass FBI agent in the history of FBI agents. If they want to push her on us so much just give her a spin off show. The characters and stories in the White House are a lot more interesting. I also think that what Tom said to the driver wasn't that bad. My guess is that after the tape leaks and it becomes the crisis that could bring down the presidency, Tom will go on TV , pour his heart out  and all will be well. That is unless Hannah goes  and beats up the driver.

• Love 9

Hannah is too much of a one-note character, and the note is running full speed into stupid decision-making every single time.

I'm getting ready to delete the show from my dvr.  I guess I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I find it hard to care much about the stories or the characters.  Did we need a plot line to let us know that the daughter misses her mother?  No.  We all knew it already.

The original story line of this show had so much potential, but was never really developed.  I wish they had shown us the chaos and fear within the country. and the re-establishment of order and hope.  Could have been amazing.

• Love 10

I don't think Tom has been selling himself as the vengeful "I hope they are treating you well because I wan't you to live a long time thinking about what you did FOREVER!" So I think the people's sentiment might not be on his side. Plus, if he had shown up in court at sentencing and said it in his victim's statement, maybe it would have been more understandable. But let me drag my Secret Service contingency down to the prison where I'm sure all sorts of accommodations had to be made just so I can rant against a guy who clearly did look very sorry for what he did? Who thought that would be a good idea? As someone who has BTDT, I'm hoping to see a healthy resolution down the road. It has only been ~3 months after all.

Also, what was up with his little Peanut (Penny)? Or rather whatever school it is that she goes to? You're going to go to the President of the United States and just say "Your daughter's been fighting" and not have a 10-page report that accompanies it with everyone's name and most importantly, the fact that she was defending another student? I wouldn't have even called that "fighting." Geez! Where was Peanut's Secret Service detail? They let the FDOTUS get into a fight? I would fire every one of them. Actually, they should be the ones with the 10-page report.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I thought their options favored delaying the launch rather than risk losing the rocket. Why did they launch it anyway?

If they launched the rocket, they might lose the rocket if it blew up. If they didn't launch the rocket, they might lose the astronauts. It was better to launch the rocket in case it didn't blow up and the astronauts could be saved, than not launching it and risking the astronauts lives further. Delaying the launch and the rocket blowing up created the same risk to the astronauts, so you might as well go for it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tallykat said:

Also, what was up with his little Peanut (Penny)? Or rather whatever school it is that she goes to? You're going to go to the President of the United States and just say "Your daughter's been fighting" and not have a 10-page report that accompanies it with everyone's name and most importantly, the fact that she was defending another student? I wouldn't have even called that "fighting." Geez! Where was Peanut's Secret Service detail? They let the FDOTUS get into a fight? I would fire every one of them. Actually, they should be the ones with the 10-page report.

My thoughts exactly.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

The scenes with the daughter seemed odd. I kept wondering why he was only eating dinner with one kid instead of both of his kids. 

Yes, I felt for his son. He is at least as much at risk as the daughter is. I would hazard more so based on his age and the secrets he might hold.

The children should have a full-time adult beyond the president living with them. Where is their grandmother? Heck, move Mike in there, he would do a great job.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I agree, there was too much Hannah in the show. It felt like we were watching two shows at once. 

The scenes with the daughter seemed odd. I kept wondering why he was only eating dinner with one kid instead of both of his kids. 

I was wondering about Leo too. Not missing him- mind you - but wondering. 

The girl who plays little P is actually a good actress. She tore my heart out in “Gifted.” Yet she doesn’t seem to emote nearly as well on this show. I’ll blame the writers/material. 

• Love 2

So, Penny is getting into multiple fights at school.  A letter is sent home regarding her fighting and need for parent conference.  Then, President Dad finds out that his daughter is not fighting because she's mad or sad but because she is protecting kids from bullies.

What the WHAT?!?!?!?  Are you telling me the school sent home word that this little girl is fighting but forget to add the information that she is protecting people?  RIDICULOUS!!!!!   I would be so pissed at that principal she wouldn't know right from left when I was done with her.  First off, why didn't you give me all the information at the beginning?  Next, why do you have known bullies at this very expensive, very exclusive private school?  The school knew Penny was protecting kids from known bullies, my question is why didn't the school take care of the bullies themselves?  Are the bullies' parents that rich, that well connected?  Known bullies should be well watched  and suspended or  expelled if they continue their bullying.  I think this school doesn't need the prestige of having the First Daughter attending.  I would take my daughter out and send her elsewhere.  

Sorry, that whole storyline really sticks in my craw.

• Love 6

Good old Hiro "Required to be in Every Show Shot in Canada" Kanagawa popping up as the NASA director here!  Above his normal appearances as various police chiefs, but a bit below his stint as the Time Bureau leader in Legends of Tomorrow.

I'm guessing Andrea Frost will factor back in, because I really doubt they would bother reuniting Kim Raver and Kiefer Sutherland for so little time.

Hannah was getting on my nerves in this one.  I get not fully taking Damian at his word and keeping a close eye on him, but she really was really dragging things out by her consist need to disagree with everything he said.

I guess I get why Kirkman feels that he needs to get rid of Moss, but I do think his absence will cause issues for him.  I do think Moss probably should and could have found other ways to accomplish his goals without going behind Kirkman's back, but I also think he is right that Kirkman has been showing poor judgement lately and it sounds like things are not getting done.

So, Penny ends up getting into fights at school, but not because she is lashing out, but because she is protecting others from bullies.  Those Kirkmans really are that damn noble, huh?

Shut up, Lyor.

Not looking forward to the whole "OMG, Kirkman might be crazy because he is pissed at the guy who killed his wife due to texting while driving like an inconsiderate moron!" storyline down the pipe.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Good old Hiro "Required to be in Every Show Shot in Canada" Kanagawa popping up as the NASA director here! 

Dude does look familiar.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm guessing Andrea Frost will factor back in, because I really doubt they would bother reuniting Kim Raver and Kiefer Sutherland for so little time.

I think I saw her in a teaser for a future episode. This show is so off the rails I would not object to a Kirkman/Frost romance. At all. They should throw in a guest appearance by Tzi Ma while this show is still on the air.

27 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Is there a Vice President yet?????

My thoughts exactly. Someone needs to pick up the slack while Tom is in his funk.

Edited by marinw

Man, this FBI is so underfunded, they can't afford a single agent in Baltimore (an hour's drive away under the BEST circumstances)!  So "Super Agent" Hannah (who would have been off this case completely in any REAL agency) is the one to go through this mish-mosh, burning several valuable contacts in her heavy-handed approach.

I am so over this "anyone can hack anything" garbage that infects almost all dramas these days. The security database, used to open doors, wouldn't be connected in any way, shape or form with the rockets guidance system. So dumb.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2018 at 6:30 AM, jhlipton said:

I am so over this "anyone can hack anything" garbage that infects almost all dramas these days. The security database, used to open doors, wouldn't be connected in any way, shape or form with the rockets guidance system. So dumb.

This ... and the FBI analyst (Hannah's friend, whatever his name is) saying that he can't find the error in "NASA's code" like there's one master program that runs NASA. First, there isn't. Second, there's no way anyone trying to read code for a launch vehicle could understand it within 30 minutes. Third, the stock launch vehicle video is from a very old launch vehicle ... I'm guessing they didn't try to get permission from any current company. Fourth, this show continues it's use of typical cliches.

I still enjoy the show, but it just isn't as good as it was in the beginning. I wonder why it is that it seems so many shows start out great and then end up slipping into mediocrity ? I remember Flash Forward, I loved the pilot and the premise and then the first season just got so bogged down in poor writing that a lot of viewers left. I thought it improved greatly toward the middle and end of the 2nd season, but by then it was too late.

I think Kim Raver still fits well with Kiefer and I'd be all for her having a permanent role on the show. Based on their scenes in this episode, I'd say they are heading that way, Mr. President sure seemed fond of her, at least it seemed that way to me.

I hope the show can regain some of the 1st seasons excitement, but I will probably keep watching regardless. I watched all of "Touch" mainly because I think Kiefer is a pretty good actor, if I can make it thru that, I can make it thru this.

• Love 2

Everything @willco said^^ plus it's now been too long since they left the original premise of the effects of an apocalyptic terrorist strike to get back there—and it's now clear they are just forgetting about it, which makes this just another White House drama, but it does have Keifer.

• Love 1

I actually enjoyed the stuff with Penny, but at first I thought they were going to have her dealing with depression (wanting to sleep, not wanting breakfast) which would have been more realistic in my opinion. Of course this show put the most sunny spin on it by having her acting out in defense of others. 

• Love 5

Damien could have punched or shot Hannah a dozen times and escaped. Why didn't he? Jail can't be better.

I don't really need to see the first children,  but it was obvious in a bad way that Leo should have been eating with Kirkman and Penny.

We used to watch 24 and my husband said (concerning Kim Raver) "are they getting them back together?" to which I responded "probably."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AEMom said:

Damien could have punched or shot Hannah a dozen times and escaped. Why didn't he? Jail can't be better.

I don't really need to see the first children,  but it was obvious in a bad way that Leo should have been eating with Kirkman and Penny.

We used to watch 24 and my husband said (concerning Kim Raver) "are they getting them back together?" to which I responded "probably."

you have no idea how I was hoping this would happen.  I was screaming "shoot her"!!!!  I hate her that much....

A lot of people always say Hannah gets in the way and they want more of the White House stuff. Does anyone else feel the opposite? I love the Hannah scenes as much or more than the whitehouse stuff

• Love 1