Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Three Wise Men

Grace (Debra Messing) is horrified to realize that she's dated three men from the same family. Will (Eric McCormack) and Karen (Megan Mullally) get on each other's nerves at the office until they bond over watching -- and producing -- their own little telenovela. Dan Bucatinsky guest stars.

That was the funniest episode since this show came back. I laughed so hard at Karen and Will watching the staff like a soap opera. Especially when they made that poor woman drop the glasses. I'm a terrible person. Karen and Will are my favorite pairing. Grace's story was pretty funny too. For the record I'll take the middle guy/dad. Mmm mmm.

• Love 11

This episode was so completely ridiculous and I loved it! 

I love any episode with Will and Karen hanging out together, and them watching the servants like a soap opera was hilarious. Loved Karen’s comment about Niles and Fraiser and Will saying they were brothers and her disappointed “I know...” 

Grace’s plot was super funny too, and I just want to say that her knocking those nuts off the table while being flirted with by the waiter was something I would do. Lol! I cracked up at her exasperated “Oy Gevalt!” while dealing with all three of the men. 

Oh, and loved that the Statue of Liberty is the only woman that Jack’s ever been inside of! 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I love any episode with Will and Karen hanging out together, and them watching the servants like a soap opera was hilarious. Loved Karen’s comment about Niles and Fraiser and Will saying they were brothers and her disappointed “I know...” 

That cracked me up :D. As did their thing about Lindsay Graham sending looks at John McCain, just 'cause of the WTF factor :p. 

I also liked Will and Jack doing the whole "Where have you been all night?" routine when Grace came home from her date at the start of the episode. 

• Love 9

I watched this episode right after having watched two other, rather mediocre sitcoms and this one was the only one of the three that made me LOL. There were so many good lines and good moments and the whole thing escalating with Grace, her ex, the waiter turning out to be his son, and then the professor turning out to be his grandfather was increasingly hilarious. 

You know, a lot of the jokes are really cheap and easy, but the actors really know how to sell them. When the series re-booted last fall I initially found little reason for it to have done so, as it seemed to just rehash a lot of stuff they did 11 years ago. But compared to 95% of what's on the air right now, this show is still funnier than anything new. 

• Love 15
15 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Not a bad episode.  Grace is looking a little frumpy though, so not sure about 3 men being after her.

Her hair and make up are on point.....what the hell with her wardrobe?  I haven't liked anything they've put her in all season, and IMO, it all looks awful on her.  

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, AEMom said:

This was a good one. Sometimes I think that some of the jokes are silly,  but I laughed many times.

Eric Mc is perfection at delivering a silly joke so that it actually comes off funny. Love him. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Her hair and make up are on point.....what the hell with her wardrobe?  I haven't liked anything they've put her in all season, and IMO, it all looks awful on her.  

I've always thought that was Grace in a nutshell - horrible clothes are her "thing" lol.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Agree about the wardrobe.  One episode had her in pants & she looked really good.  The color of her hair is really bad, like it was colored in a neighborhood salon, and she needs a good cut.

• Love 2

Clearly Debra Messing isn't rail thin like she was 11 years ago. My first instinct is to say wardrobe is trying to hide her weight with all these bulky outfits. It's also possible Messing herself is choosing the her own wardrobe for the same reason.

27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Clearly Debra Messing isn't rail thin like she was 11 years ago. My first instinct is to say wardrobe is trying to hide her weight with all these bulky outfits. It's also possible Messing herself is choosing the her own wardrobe for the same reason.

I agree - they're trying to hide her "weight gain" (eye roll) with bulky clothes and its having the opposite effect.  She looks bigger than she is.  Take it from this gal who isn't thin like she was 11 years ago, the styles they're putting her in are not complimentary.  I save this with love and not shaming.   

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought Debra looked "old" this episode. I don't know if it was the lighting or make up, but she looked 15 years older than she did before the Olympics. I could see Grandpa and Dad being interested in her, but the son/grandson? No way!! And I agree, DM needs a haircut and a stylist! On the flipside, I liked that Karen didn't have her hairpiece in. She looks younger with her natural hair.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5

I agree that Grace has been looking frumpy but I've always thought her clothes were terrible. But that blouse last night? That thing I saw in my nightmares. I thought the dress was cute yet somehow still ill fitting.  I know DM has gained some weight but even if they are going to keep with Grace's awful fashions, at least fit her properly. She has had a few good outfits this season.

All they have to do is put Debra in clothes that fit, not saggy, baggy stuff.

It's like Hollywood has no idea how to dress a woman bigger than a size 4.

• Love 10

It took me a while to get past "is it awkward if we live in the same building?" part.  I could not for the life of me think why that would be awkward.  Eventually though it was revealed to be a plot point that had to be there to explain why Grace would go after another man so they could build the story.  After that realization I was able to just have fun and enjoy the episode.  Love Will and Karen together, and found Grace's dilemma really funny.  Good to see Barry Boswick (sp?).  Loved Jack's "respect" at the end.

• Love 5

It's like Hollywood has no idea how to dress a woman bigger than a size 4.

Oh, without a doubt. LOL.

I used to watch the occasional episode of Mysteries of Laura, or whatever Debra's previous show was, and I could swear she always looked good. Even in casual jeans and a button-down, they made her look good. So I don't know what's up with costuming for this show. 

• Love 4

I actually think they put her in too much makeup, and her hair is a little meh.  Though you are right that it's like they purposefully pick outfits for her that make her look much thicker than she actually is.  They are very unflattering.

Grace's storyline reminded me of that Jennifer Aniston movie, Rumor Has It, only with one woman sleeping with three generations instead of one guy doing it. 

14 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I've always thought that was Grace in a nutshell - horrible clothes are her "thing" lol.

Yes, and then Karen goes "Uh, honey, what's all this?" and waves her finger over Grace's entire outfit. Hee.

• Love 13

The description for this episode was a spoiler, giving away that Grace had "dated" three generations of the same family. I would have preferred to find that out gradually, like she did.  The look on her face as she realized that she had banged a grandfather, son and grandson was hilarious, as was Jack's 'respect' for her having done so! And funny that the guys in this dysfunctional family kept coming on to her, even after they knew! Best plotline of the season, I wonder if they'll continue it?

Several mentions of Jack's mom, out of nowhere! I was so hoping we'd get a return of Veronica Cartwright. There's still hope...

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

The description for this episode was a spoiler, giving away that Grace had "dated" three generations of the same family. I would have preferred to find that out gradually, like she did.  The look on her face as she realized that she had banged a grandfather, son and grandson was hilarious, as was Jack's 'respect' for her having done so! And funny that the guys in this dysfunctional family kept coming on to her, even after they knew! Best plotline of the season, I wonder if they'll continue it?

Several mentions of Jack's mom, out of nowhere! I was so hoping we'd get a return of Veronica Cartwright. There's still hope...

Exactly why I don't read the descriptions - I don't want to know anything when I watch a show. So I was surprised when the son stepped out of the elevator, and also when Barry Bostwick turned out to be Grandpa. Even the title didn't tip me off, lol. Very funny episode!

• Love 3

Good episode. Just goofy story lines which is what I like best.

I always like when Will and Karen are together and I love the telenova. 

JJ's impressed "Grandpa" when he realised what happened was funny.

• Love 4
On 3/2/2018 at 5:29 PM, juliet73 said:

I thought Debra looked "old" this episode. I don't know if it was the lighting or make up, but she looked 15 years older than she did before the Olympics. I could see Grandpa and Dad being interested in her, but the son/grandson? No way!!

I could buy him being up for a quickie in the bathroom, but being in love with her? Total agreement, that wasn't very believable.

I didn't see any descriptions for the episode, or know the title, but the second they mentioned a grandfather I knew it would be Barry Bostwick. I'm mad at myself that I didn't see it coming as soon as we learned about the other two being father and son.

• Love 3
On 3/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, SparklesBitch said:

Oh, and loved that the Statue of Liberty is the only woman that Jack’s ever been inside of! 

What about his mother?

• Love 7

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize grandpa was being played by Barry Bostwick. I thought he was James Brolin, lol.

Fun episode. I actually preferred Grace's story line to the telenovela one with Will and Karen.

Jack continues to amuse me. I loved his conversations with his mother.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize grandpa was being played by Barry Bostwick. I thought he was James Brolin, lol.

Fun episode. I actually preferred Grace's story line to the telenovela one with Will and Karen.

Barry and James are from the same era, but Brolin born 5 years earlier in '40! I still remember the 1st thing I saw him in was "Marcus Welby, MD" way back in the early 70's when medical shows were all the rage; days and primetime! ;-)

• Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 3:50 PM, J-Man said:

What about his mother?

I thought the same thing.

While Will and Karen are funny together, she brings out the worst in him. Making the maid drop the tray of glasses at the end was just a dick move, as was inviting the annoying man to the office just so he would translate what the chef and the other guy were saying. (And how long were they doing their tasks in the kitchen that Will had time to dump the annoying guy, go home and change, get over to Karen's house, and force the chef to admit he was in love with the other guy?) (Also, the guy playing the chef was Victor Turpin, who is a straight-up hottie.) 

MV5BMTM5NDAxODI3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjc5

I felt sorry for James (the son) in the Grace story. He seemed like a nice guy, overshadowed by his more dominant father and son. The son was a sleaze -- not because he had sex with Grace in a bathroom (although, certainly) -- but even after he found out his dad was dating her, he still planned to sleep with her and steal her away from his own father. 

• Love 2

I used to watch the occasional episode of Mysteries of Laura, or whatever Debra's previous show was, and I could swear she always looked good. Even in casual jeans and a button-down, they made her look good. So I don't know what's up with costuming for this show. 

Yeah and that wasn't very long ago either. She looked great in that - what happened? Maybe they're making a deliberate attempt to distinguish between Laura and Grace. I dunno.

The constant phone conversations with his mother were really weird. Jack's mother appeared in exactly one episode of the original series, and was never mentioned again after that. We never saw Jack talking to her on the phone or even talking about her. This may be an attempt to prepare us for a return of Veronica Cartwright as an upcoming guest star, but it felt so off and out of character - almost as if whoever wrote for Jack this episode had never seen the show before, and assumed he had a stereotypical co-dependent relationship with his mother. Which Jack never did. That's one stereotype they managed to avoid in this show. 

• Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 10:50 PM, jewel21 said:

They were interchangeable in the era of the 80's lifetime movies, Danielle Steel movies and the various Movies of the Week.  

• Love 1
On 3/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, SparklesBitch said:

This episode was so completely ridiculous and I loved it! 

Grace’s plot was super funny too, and I just want to say that her knocking those nuts off the table while being flirted with by the waiter was something I would do. Lol! I cracked up at her exasperated “Oy Gevalt!” while dealing with all three of the men. 

On 3/4/2018 at 3:50 PM, J-Man said:

What about his mother?

Well, remember, he's a Platinum gay....never been with a woman and was born via c-section, so he's never touched a vagina. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2018 at 7:47 PM, seacliffsal said:

It took me a while to get past "is it awkward if we live in the same building?" part.  I could not for the life of me think why that would be awkward.  Eventually though it was revealed to be a plot point that had to be there to explain why Grace would go after another man so they could build the story.  After that realization I was able to just have fun and enjoy the episode.  Love Will and Karen together, and found Grace's dilemma really funny.  Good to see Barry Boswick (sp?).  Loved Jack's "respect" at the end.

Same for me re:  I didn’t get the weirdness/complication of dating someone in the same building initially. Embarrassingly, I didn’t get it until the end when Grace and James were trying to work out how to avoid each other at the building’s laundry room. But yeah, I’m firmly in the “don’t shit where you eat” camp — learned the hard way after dating a coworker who then went on to date one of my superiors (it was retail so that didn’t really mean much).

Karen was was golden as the producer of her personal telenovela:  turning up the heat, going on about the “secret code,” the music cues! ?

Loved that Junior stole a kiss from Grace before entering the apartment but boy needs to learn how to give a proper kiss.

• Love 2