Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Hungry for Acceptance

• Start Topic

Jazz undergoes past life regression hypnosis for her weight issues and finds insight into a troubled past.  She also pressures her parents to allow her to go to virtual school, and goes on her first date with a girl, hoping for romance.  

If you are new to posting in this forum, please read the Mod notes for I Am Jazz.  You'll laugh.  You'll cry.  You'll want to read them again and again.  (Okay, maybe not, but you will be better informed, so there's that!)

Oh dear Lord, I’m only 18 minutes in and I just can’t.  She going to sing, the past life regression, how convenient, just BS.  I was surprised she said she lost 10 pounds because in the car she looked heavier than ever.

• Love 8

I don’t know much about past lives regression, other than jokes about Hollywood celebrities. This was interesting, however. In the frame of a past life regression, Jazz said she felt like a gay boy who feared his parents would kick him out if they found out he was gay. I wondered which life she was referring to, past or present.

The show seems to be slowing down, almost idling as a decision has been made to postpone surgery until 18 or 21 and they plan to slow roll until then. Frankly, Jazz should ignore the worriers and have the surgery soon so we don’t have to wait four seasons. They need to do the surgery and show the recovery and most of us don’t want to wait years. Enough talk, just do it.

• Love 3

Jeanette, I don't know what you are smoking, but your daughter is not "mature for her age."

The past life regression. I don't put a lot of stock into it, but I was just waiting for her to come up with some tragic "I died of starvation"story.

Who else isn't shocked that they gave in about virtual school. They were so vague about her requirements that I can see her easily wiggling out of doing anything.

The date thing is just weird and awkward. She's not interested in Jazz beyond being a friend. Jazz seems desperate to have a relationship at all costs and she's talking herself into it. But asking everyone "well how do you feel about dating someone who's transgender" kind of puts people on the spot. If she doesn't say yes, she's on a boat with her until they get to shore. She also potentially faces a ton of hate for being a "hater". The entire time there was quite a gap between the two of them.

• Love 11

Writing as I watch

-"Jazz is very mature for her age".......................WTF! No she's not and everyone knows it. Jeanette is so delusional.

-Michaela is still creepy. She is obsessed with Jazz. I can't stand her. Jazz looked like she didn't want to do the singing thing, but gave in and agreed to along with her. The car wash talk was so scripted and forced in.

- This hypnotherapy crap just may make this show jump the shark. It was so stupid and unnecessary. I don't believe even for one minute that any of it was real.  The fact that this is considered legitimate psychology is baffling to me.  Also Jazz's "past life" just seemed like another (scripted) opportunity to push Jazz's officially approved narrative. I don't believe she binge eats because she's "hungry for acceptance". But I don't think we'll ever know the real reason behind it, because Jazz is clearly in denial, or worse they don't want us to know the truth.

- How does Greg not know about what Jazz is doing in this Hypnotherapy stuff. This family is so dysfunctional.

- Jazz manipulated them to get out of going to school. surprise, surprise.

-Michaela just wants to get on tv and sing to promote herself. I knew she was using Jazz.

-Noelle is nosy as hell, but I'm glad she asks serious questions. She confirmed that Jazz is the one who rejected all the previous guys who tried to date her.

- Of course they gave in and let Jazz do virtual school. Did anyone actually think they would stand their ground?? I didn't. Her leaving school is sad. She has been robbed of a normal youth, and now her childhood is almost over. It's so sad. No Prom, no graduation, and if she can't handle high school, I doubt she will be able to handle college life.  It seems like all she has in life is trans stuff. Her entire existence revolves around it.

-Over all this episode was very flat and uninspiring, nothing felt real or organic. The date with Victoria was the only interesting part of the episode. It was less cringey that the previous dates. But I agree that Victoria probably isn't in to Jazz. Seems like she is just being nice.

Edited by janedi
  • Love 7

I fast forwarded thru all the crap with fake creepy Michaela and Jazz’s singing. 

“Past life regression.” ?This girl needs actual therapy with a real doctor, not all this new agey woo bullshit.

This episode was completely uninteresting. 

• Love 13

Oh my god we should not be seeing this hypnosis session. This is bordering on a line of I'm not exactly sure what. It's like we're seeing a part of her soul that only she should see. 

Sorry this is just not right. I'm still watching but I'm s little pissed off right now. 

Noelle is so totally over Jazz.  She's no longer amused by her.

JoJo is adorable.

'Jazz is cool.' What a cute compliment from her grandma. 

Jazz should continue singing, but without Michaela...I don't trust her.   She's definitely not here for 'the right reasons.'

Victoria is such a pretty girl. 

"Look at how cute this person looks."  lol!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

If the past life regression hypnotherapy helps her connect in some meaningful way to her binge eating being something other than she "loves it" and until now hasn't addressed it as a problem, I don't see the harm.  Maybe mourning a dramatized fictional version of how she perceives her reincarnated self to be is just what she needs to motivate her to stop the binge eating and adopt healthy coping strategies to the experiences that have and continue to affect her negatively.

I'm not too knowed up on hypnotherapy or if it is considered acceptable in the psychology community, but perhaps if Jazz  finds it helpful, she might be more open to the type of counseling from a board certified therapist that she needs to get in order be approved for the surgery she wants.

i don't know, color me optimistic on that issue.

Virtual school?  Considering she admitted to Victoria on their date she has no idea what she wants to be when she grows up other than full time volunteer married to someone rich, I'm thinking it's probably a good idea.  She could take some time off after graduating high school and oh, I don't know, maybe get off of the TV and address her multiple issues with qualified therapists, go forward with her surgeical transition in the comfort of her parent's lap of luxury and explore her life goals sans the social microscope.

The "date" with Victoria seemed very scripted and unnatural and why wouldn't it be with a camera crew in their faces and Victoria's knowledge that she signed a bunch of paperwork that allows them to film, edit and subsequently broadcast her  date with Jazz on National TV plus she can't "spoil" it for the viewers, either by talking about any outcomes prior to airdate.

• Love 2

I occasionally watch this show and I  think this  show needs to be cancelled .  Jazz needs to be living her life off-camera.  Every episode she seems more and more messed up.   Her parents need to wise up and tell TLC bye-bye.  Money isn't everything..

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 6

What did I miss about Mikaela being on this show?  I know from this website that she was on The Voice, and I believe that Jazz met her at some kind of LGBT event, but how does that translate into her being friends with a bunch of transgender teens?  I'm sure it's just a publicity stunt/acting credit for her, but they're really stretching to make her fit in.  (Such as Jeanette saying Jazz is mature for her age - LOL)

And while I get the theory behind a Be You Campaign, how does one put that into practice?  Just go rent out a dance studio in any town, put up a few posters and the public flocks to it?  These types of "campaigns" are very popular on reality shows, but I don't understand how you get people involved.  Furthermore, if Mikaela is all into "being yourself" then I suppose we are supposed to believe she was Rosie the Riveter in a past life!  Except I saw on Facebook that the real Rosie just turned 90, so she isn't dead yet :)

Everything about this show was weird today.

Extra LOLs at Grandma comparing Jazz's musical talents to Mozart's on the way out the door :)

Edited by princelina
  • Love 6

No kissing Victoria on the date? No hand holding either?  It wasn't a date. 

I remember when I was 17. I was no Romeo, but I did walk a girl home from school, met, her mother, and kissed her goodbye on the porch. My date, that is, not her mother; I wasn't quite that advanced yet!   

Edited by Visaman666
  • Love 4

What even was that event she sang at?  What parents would bring their little children to something random like that?  "Hi, I'm transgender, and I'm going to sing a song."

Wha???  There must have been more to that event.  I'm puzzled.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lesia said:

What even was that event she sang at?  What parents would bring their little children to something random like that?  "Hi, I'm transgender, and I'm going to sing a song."

For the life of me I don't understand this idea for a Be You campaign. Which kinds of schools would take an hour out of their teaching day to make the kids go to this? A public school definitely would not as their days are crammed in with requirements. I know the girl is doing it to pretend she has some kind of "platform" and to advance her singing career. And this kind of thing does not help anybody. Be yourself, be happy, love yourself yadda yadda, everyone is still miserable, hates themselves and on Prozac. She acted like she has all these gigs, going around to schools. Um, no she doesn't. She's a nobody. Possibly some private schools have events with motivational speakers but they would probably have a better resume than: I was on The Voice and I have purple hair and my friend is transgender and has a reality show and I was Rosie the Riveter in my past life.

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 9

Watching real youth with non-manufactured lives vis a vis the Olympics, makes this show look all the more like a house of cards and mirrors bullshit. And like someone else said in another thread, I feel complicit in this shit show continuing on and dragging out this bullshit because this kid needs to be off TV ASAP.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kicotan said:

If the past life regression hypnotherapy helps her connect in some meaningful way to her binge eating being something other than she "loves it" and until now hasn't addressed it as a problem, I don't see the harm.  Maybe mourning a dramatized fictional version of how she perceives her reincarnated self to be is just what she needs to motivate her to stop the binge eating and adopt healthy coping strategies to the experiences that have and continue to affect her negatively.

I don't believe in reincarnation or past lives at all...but I do like your thoughtful take on it.  

Also, I think Jazz sang very well.  Nice voice.  

5 hours ago, Visaman666 said:

kissed her goodbye on the porch. My date, that is, not her mother; I wasn't quite that advanced yet!   

LOL

3 hours ago, Lesia said:

Thank you.  I was rather disturbed by that.  Little tykes don't need the whole backstory which I'll bet was very confusing for them.  Just "be your best self" and a peppy song is enough. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

For the life of me I don't understand this idea for a Be You campaign. Which kinds of schools would take an hour out of their teaching day to make the kids go to this? A public school definitely would not as their days are crammed in with requirements. I know the girl is doing it to pretend she has some kind of "platform" and to advance her singing career. And this kind of thing does not help anybody. Be yourself, be happy, love yourself yadda yadda, everyone is still miserable, hates themselves and on Prozac.

I love the good sense that is being expressed here today.  I have my own thoughts about the youth Zoloft culture, but won't share them here.  

Edited by Granny58

They said virtual school would help Jazz because she would have more time for advocacy but advocacy without knowledge is useless. Jazz does not do well when the choices that were made for her or her point of view are questioned. We saw when her and Jeanette were going on the radio program that someone with a different view point even if they had scientific data to back it up was in Jazz's eyes a bigot. She will be a poor advocate for her community and may do more harm than good if she doesn't have the skills to back it up.

"Volunteering" for a living is such a broad and meaningless "what I want to be when I grow up". Shes at the age to be figuring it out, trying new things etc but instead her world is becoming smaller and smaller. You would think that seeing how dependent her Mother is on her Father in every way and on the kids for emotional support would make her want to be independent rather than dependent. All the people I know that volunteer do it in conjunction with a job and I would describe them as selfless which is not how I'd describe Jazz.

Knew they'd give in completely to the virtual school thing, tattoo etc when you give your child so much power, you can't go back. I just feel sorry for the milestones that Jazz is giving up prom, finding out college acceptances, graduation etc. the bond that forms in your last few weeks/months is pretty special and I know not everyone enjoys high school or has good experiences but just giving all that up without trying anything different (from what we've seen like learning how to not be the center of attention would help greatly)

Michaela is just an opportunist.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

Which kinds of schools would take an hour out of their teaching day to make the kids go to this?

You'd be surprised.  A lot of the public school teachers in the state of California become "grant writers".  They apply for grants from the state to promote whatever agenda they have and it can be very lucrative for a school to have the grant approved/accept the funding for the grant writer's pet project.

I would imagine that a program like Michaela's would be perfect for aspiring grant writers to obtain funding.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

I mean this as  polite as I can ... Is Mikela transgender or what is her story, she is way to old to try to be besties with  Jazz

It is all about using Jazz to promote Michaela and her Be You campaign.  I think Jazz knows what's going on and it's more of a business decision to promote each other.

Jazz is extremely bright and articulate.  Her mother mistakes that for maturity.  That is so wrong.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

For the life of me I don't understand this idea for a Be You campaign. Which kinds of schools would take an hour out of their teaching day to make the kids go to this? A public school definitely would not as their days are crammed in with requirements. I know the girl is doing it to pretend she has some kind of "platform" and to advance her singing career. And this kind of thing does not help anybody. Be yourself, be happy, love yourself yadda yadda, everyone is still miserable, hates themselves and on Prozac. She acted like she has all these gigs, going around to schools. Um, no she doesn't. She's a nobody. Possibly some private schools have events with motivational speakers but they would probably have a better resume than: I was on The Voice and I have purple hair and my friend is transgender and has a reality show and I was Rosie the Riveter in my past life.

I agree so much. I'm sick and tired of this trendy "be yourself" crap the media constantly pushes onto kids. Its led to an entire generation of insufferable spoiled brats. Some people need to change themselves.  What if a kid is violent, or a thief, or an disrespectful asshole? I guess they should just keep being their "authentic self " and not even bother to improve.

54 minutes ago, kicotan said:

You'd be surprised.  A lot of the public school teachers in the state of California become "grant writers".  They apply for grants from the state to promote whatever agenda they have and it can be very lucrative for a school to have the grant approved/accept the funding for the grant writer's pet project.

I would imagine that a program like Michaela's would be perfect for aspiring grant writers to obtain funding.

Its sad that schools can't just teach reading writing and arithmetic anymore. No wonder test scores are low, it's cause they waste so much time on irrelevant junk

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Lesia said:

1 hour ago, kicotan said:

I am surprised because I know here in Georgia public schools, each hour of the day and week is accounted for. If there is a snow day they have to make it up however they can because they will not finish the required curriculum.  There is no free time built in to what they are supposed to get through each school year.  They usually build in plenty of make up snow-days but a few years ago they went over. They actually added 30 minutes onto each day for 2 months to make up these lost days. Teachers are not able to write a grant to have some type of program so I guess it is different in California. It sounds absurd.  I still don't know who would want her talking to their kids about something so dumb.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

Teachers are not able to write a grant to have some type of program so I guess it is different in California. It sounds absurd.  I still don't know who would want her talking to their kids about something so dumb.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/index.asp

The above link directs you to the main page for The State of California's Education Department Grant Funding.  As of November 2017, over $200,000 was awarded to grant writers to fund programs for "Supporting Inclusive Practices" in various schools throughout the state.  They then implement their project proposal which can include taking up class time for presentations (such as Michaela's Be you campaign), or making it a school wide presentation in the auditorium at some point during a school day.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r18/documents/sip17result.xls

Edited by kicotan
Extra info added
  • Love 1

When the Be You sing along ended, I thought we were then shown the exterior of a building that had Dance Gallery on the side of it. I thought the program was held at this dance company, not at a school. I hope that I'm correct about it being a dance school.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I believed you- I said it is different here in Georgia. 

Right.

I added the links and extra info. because I just thought you might be interested in the "who would want their kid talking to her" information as an example of how it plays out.

Edited by kicotan

I was actually intrigued by the past life progression.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but, I know that with real hypnotism, very unusual things are possible. I know, because I experienced something once.  I won't go into the details, but, it left no doubt in my mind. It's real.  IF she was truly under deep relaxation, then, I believe what she said.  And, I'm not an out there kind of person....Really.  It could have been faked, granted, but, not if she was really under. 

I thought the song was good.  Singing was nice. I have no issue with that. It's just that I think that they, including Jazz need more education, study, and mentoring under more experienced and learned people, including experts.  Dr. Bowers is a very renowned, accomplished, transgender professional and Jazz fights her on every turn.  That doesn't speak well of Jazz as an advocate, imo.  Jazz needs to listen more and talk less.  Her idea of advocacy may need a re-evaluation.

And, sometimes, being humble has its place too.  Being too full of yourself and how great you are, gets old, imo.  I'm tired of the theme and the season isn't over yet. Somehow, I think that with Jazz, enough is never enough.  Maybe, her acceptance is really about HER accepting herself and not so much other people accepting her.  

I wonder if the parents consulted with any professionals about the home school (they say virtual) thing. Allowing a child to do more self isolation when self isolation is already the problem sounds bizarre!  And what was that about her doing chores and exercising?  What does that have to do with being socially developed?  They are robbing her.  Too bad.  I hope they understand that she's not likely to ever want to attend college, because she will have no life skills.  Her parents just seem very unaware of how Jazz comes off in public.  It's sad really.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
On 2/13/2018 at 9:18 PM, janedi said:

- This hypnotherapy crap just may make this show jump the shark. It was so stupid and unnecessary. I don't believe even for one minute that any of it was real.  The fact that this is considered legitimate psychology is baffling to me.  Also Jazz's "past life" just seemed like another (scripted) opportunity to push Jazz's officially approved narrative. I don't believe she binge eats because she's "hungry for acceptance". But I don't think we'll ever know the real reason behind it, because Jazz is clearly in denial, or worse they don't want us to know the truth.

Got to agree with you completely on this one.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

II have no issue with that. It's just that I think that they, including Jazz need more education, study, and mentoring under more experienced and learned people, including experts....Maybe, her acceptance is really about HER accepting herself and not so much other people accepting her.  

Exactly.  Jazz can sing about "Be You," but she isolates in her room, doesn't want to attend school, and binge eats.  She is obviously struggling with being who she is.  If she really wants to be a role model for self-acceptance she needs to first achieve it for herself.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, yankeefan said:

Exactly.  Jazz can sing about "Be You," but she isolates in her room, doesn't want to attend school, and binge eats.  She is obviously struggling with being who she is.  If she really wants to be a role model for self-acceptance she needs to first achieve it for herself.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the goal of "Be You" is about accepting yourself for the way you ARE, warts and all.

I think it's more of a way to empower certain folks to do whatever they want to change themselves into who or what they want to be, and not feel bad about it.

Remember Rachel Dolezal?  I'm trying to imagine how the "Be you" campaign would be interpreted by her. 

• Love 1

I couldn't help myself. I snickered at Jazz singing in the car and Michaela's "OMG YOU ARE SOOO AMAZING!" comment. I knew exactly where we were headed after that. LOL. Good for Jazz for having the confidence to sing in public or whatever. *shrugs*

As a mom, I'd be a little suspicious of a grown ass adult woman wanting to be friends with my teenage daughter. Jazz is what 16/17 and Michaela is 22? That's a huge gap in maturity, and experience in those two ages, not sure if I'd be encouraging that friendship.

Past life regression, huh?. I'm a "woo woo" kinda person so it sounds like an interesting fun thing to try. I'm also a therapist and in no way would that be a technique I'd use on a depressed, binge eating teen who needs me to write a therapy letter so she can have gender confirmation surgery. Seems like just another tactic to avoid a much bigger issue that everyone side steps. But to each their own! I did find it interesting Jazz was a gay male in her past life and she didn't seem the least bit fazed or upset at the fact she was a boy in this particular scenario.

We all knew the parents would fold when it came to Jazz and virtual school. I suspect she will be one of those who finds various excuses not to attend college as well. I'm not saying college is for everyone at the age of 18 (because it most certainly isn't). But Jeanette seems to be in denial about Jazz and the path she will end up on. I think she really thinks Jazz will have bottom surgery and become "a real girl" and prance off to college and have a fun typical experience like her older sister. Not gonna happen.

I know there is some debate on whether Victoria is an actress or not. To quote Grandma from this episode, Victoria is "cool". She seems like just the type of girl that Jazz could be friends with and learn from--even if it does not progress romantically.  She drives a cool jeep, she plays field hockey (I think), wants to become a trauma surgeon, planned a fun day on a boat. What's not to love! Hell, I wanna be friends with her! LOL. 

Again, I said it in the last thread, I think Jazz is in awe of Victoria. I'm sure she feels insecure around a girl like Victoria who has so much in her life that is not surrounding her gender or sexual identity. Jazz has made being trans her entire identity and now it seems she's struggling to find a voice.

I'm not sure how Victoria feels about Jazz but she certainly handled that obligatory "have you ever dated a transgendered person?" question with class and grace. I doubt anything will pop off romantically with these two but its kind of cute seeing Jazz not try to dominate and be the center of the attention for once

• Love 12
On 2/14/2018 at 6:57 PM, Treehugger said:

When the Be You sing along ended, I thought we were then shown the exterior of a building that had Dance Gallery on the side of it. I thought the program was held at this dance company, not at a school. I hope that I'm correct about it being a dance school.

It did say that.  I'm sure they advertised for the show and got people to come that way.  Even if a public school wanted to present this nonsense (and there are ones that would be all over it) - to then have to get parents to sign waivers because their kids might end up on a TLC reality show that was filmed when they were supposed to be in school - that might be just too much :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, princelina said:

It did say that.  I'm sure they advertised for the show and got people to come that way.  Even if a public school wanted to present this nonsense (and there are ones that would be all over it) - to then have to get parents to sign waivers because their kids might end up on a TLC reality show that was filmed when they were supposed to be in school - that might be just too much :)

I agree with you.

For as liberal as most of SoCal is, it would be super hard to get a school district or principal to approve of assemblies for "Michaela's Message."

Most people can read her inspirational crap or download her music from her damn Instagram page if they really want to know more about how special & precious they are. (please note the sarcasm). Taking away minutes dedicated for learning to have assemblies should be done with good intent, which is why all pep rallies or assemblies are to celebrate sports!! (still being sarcastic)

In certain pockets of SoCal, parents would flip out if their kid was anywhere near an assembly if anyone who was performing/speaking/presenting in any way, shape or form even remotely touched on their sexual orientation/gender/identifying as XYZ. I can guarantee that having any message about "it's ok if you're not heterosexual" would open the floodgates for parents to freak out about how their kid was exposed to "someone who is gay." If the parents found out about it after the fact, they for sure would bring holy hell to the school district for exposing their student to that assembly.

Some students don't even go to "Health class" the week that "sex education" is taught in high school because their parents exercise their right to excuse their student from that chapter in the book. I remember it even happened when I was in high school.

Also, did Jeanette really think Jazz would ever be valedictorian? Seriously? 

• Love 2

It's so sad to think that new bicycle will be used for jazz to ride to the park and make potential 'deals' like in the photos that came out on Radar Online last month.  Really hope she's not doing drugs.  It's also sad the  hypnotherapy session was seemingly used to promote Jazz's platforms/agenda.  

Eta, Sorry, just noticed it is an indoor exercise bike, not the bicycle she rides Outdoors.

Edited by WillowG
14 minutes ago, WillowG said:

It's so sad to think that new bicycle will be used for jazz to ride to the park and make potential 'deals' like in the photos that came out on Radar Online last month.  Really hope she's not doing drugs.  It's also sad the  hypnotherapy session was seemingly used to promote Jazz's platforms/agenda.  

Eta, Sorry, just noticed it is an indoor exercise bike, not the bicycle she rides Outdoors.

I'm shocked that her parents dropped the money on a recumbent bike! I doubt it was product placement and I don't know how much they cost (off the top of my head), but WOW.

"We're bringing the gym to you."

I guess I need to share my Amazon Wish List with Greg and Jeanette ASAP!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bridget said:

I'm shocked that her parents dropped the money on a recumbent bike! I doubt it was product placement and I don't know how much they cost (off the top of my head), but WOW.

"We're bringing the gym to you."

I guess I need to share my Amazon Wish List with Greg and Jeanette ASAP!

I know right?  They think they can lose the weight for her!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, kicotan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the goal of "Be You" is about accepting yourself for the way you ARE, warts and all.

I think it's more of a way to empower certain folks to do whatever they want to change themselves into who or what they want to be, and not feel bad about it.

Remember Rachel Dolezal?  I'm trying to imagine how the "Be you" campaign would be interpreted by her. 

If that is the message of the "Be You" campaign, I still say Jazz is a poor spokesperson for it.  She wants to live in an echo chamber and makes no attempt at real change - she won't go to therapy, she isn't taking her weight loss seriously, she has no plans for her future other than "marry a rich guy"...I'm not seeing a lot of self-empowerment.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, WillowG said:

I just looked it up and that model is running $500, Schwinn's top of the line Recumbent.

Stop!!!

They should have donated that $500 to Lynn's hormone therapy. You know she'd be so appreciative and let G&J know it.

Thanks for looking up the model/price!

• Love 2

Have G&J ever actually told Jazz "no" about anything?  

One of the voice-overs in the teaser for the upcoming episode about the surgery is "Will she really say no to me?" Jazz expects that she can ignore the doctor's requirements and still receive the surgery because she wants it, and she wants it to be easy.  No one says no to her about anything, which is where the food issue is coming in. It's never occurred to her to NOT do something she wants to do.

I want to see her mowing a lawn or babysitting or doing something useful for a change. Being transgender doesn't mean you get a pass.

Ha

• Love 9

It seems to me that Jazz's mom has brought Jazz up to be a spokesperson for transgender youth, and has had her in that role since she first made her public appearance with Barbara Walters when she was 7. Not sure if Jeanette ever had a career other than being Jazz's manager. As Jazz is outgrowing this role, who knows what she will want to do next. Her whole life is about being transgender because her parents seem to have strongly encouraged it. Not sure if this is true, but I do remember reading a few years back that the family has made quite a bit of money from lawsuits. All of them were things like Jazz being allowed to use the girls' restroom at school, things like that. Her dad is a lawyer but I've worked with many lawyers over the years and most aren't as wealthy as they are. 

I have to wonder if Jazz's depression and binge eating are the result of all she has had to endure in her life, and if she feels differently about certain things  than she did a few years ago. When the show first started, Jazz seemed much happier. She had what appeared to be real friends, was playing soccer and seemed well adjusted. I think it started when she was 14 and she's about to turn 17 on the show. 

• Love 10

That tagline in the intro - "I have a girl brain in a boy body" - is that something a kid would say or something an adult would come up with? I wonder just how much her mother has been manipulating her child from her earliest days? I'm not saying she forced Jazz to be transgender, but she seems to have encouraged it.

Michaela is in the show because she can read lines convincingly and can help to provide a bridge to other parts of the story. I'd say she's the most polished performer on the show - kind of a relief from Jazz's whining. 

I'm so cynical tonight.

• Love 7

So, the early part of the season the family went to south Florida to help victims of Hurricane Irma, right? That was in Sept. 2017.  So, in the episode we saw this week, where are they in the time line?  What month and year are they filming in? I'm trying to gauge just went she is planning to get the surgery.  

Michaela's supposed Be You campaign was made up for the show.  The whole "oh Jazz, your voice is so beautiful.  Let's write a song together!" was like something from the Little Rascals - "Let's put on a show!"  And yes, they were performing at a dance academy, not a public school.

I am part of a LGBTQ speakers bureau that goes to Jr high, high school and college classes as well as any group that will invite us.  We are often included in the health class.  We provide resources, talk about our personal experiences and allow students to ask any questions they like.  This program has been in place for a long time.  We have two big goals - reduce bullying and ostracizing of kids who don't fit in and harm reduction.  During the two years I have done this, I have helped a girl report her sexual assault and get out of a dangerous foster care situation and helped multiple kids get access to support groups that have helped them abate suicidal thoughts.  Michaela's fake program is a couple of twits singing a mediocre song to children who don't care.  

I mention this because I hate to see all support type programs being lumped into the same category.  Some are useful.  Some are useless.  The kids hate the useless ones too.  

• Love 19
14 hours ago, Suzywriter said:

I want to see her mowing a lawn or babysitting or doing something useful for a change. Being transgender doesn't mean you get a pass.

I hear what you are saying, but if Jazz is suicidal, her parents might be scared to say or do anything that might rock the boat. 

Ha

Edited by Visaman666
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, the early part of the season the family went to south Florida to help victims of Hurricane Irma, right? That was in Sept. 2017.  So, in the episode we saw this week, where are they in the time line?  What month and year are they filming in? I'm trying to gauge just went she is planning to get the surgery.  

Jazz is still in High School ( or was) so the surgery is stll a year away at the earliest. I assume that the episode was filmed on late November of last year.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, calpurnia99 said:

they don't need to be putting this knowledge in the heads of young impressionable children. i have a lot of doubts about how many people who claim to be born in the wrong body, really were, and which ones have other issues going on. this is all still relatively new and i don't doubt more things will come to light in the future. i don't think these little kids really understand this yet either . i would not as a parent, have my child attend.  

this new friend of jazz's has to go. there is something off about her. don't like her.

• Love 7