Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor Winter Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I'm still trying to figure Luke out. He's a Westpoint graduate, FFS! But his eyes and demeanor are so vacant. Westpoint takes the top of the top, or folks who are descendants of past WP graduates. They train them to be officers and leaders. Luke doesn't have any outward appearance of being a leader. I also wonder how he got into WP with a heart condition. None of his story makes sense. And his vacant eyes remind me of Joe, from Kaitlyn's season.

Heard on a podcast that Luke went to West Point to play football.  As in, Luke isnt the best and brightest, he was the least of the fittest (too mean).  The really talented athletes dont play at west point - Army football is traditionally one of the worst in D1... they averaged 3 wins the seasons he played. 

I had a college buddy who went to West Point on a sports scholarship.  I imagine the dynamics are similar in football as they were in lacrosse, if not more so: He wasn't good enough to get a full ride anywhere else in the D1.  But he was an all around great guy with a clean background and better grades than the average lacrosse guy.  So he chose West Point: Better scholarship, guaranteed job opportunities, live your dream of playing ball in college, support your country.  He would have been choosing a school in 2002: Right as the job market collapsed, and in the middle of post 9/11 patriotic fever.  To me, hearing about the football scholarship made it all make sense. 

• Love 1

Anybody who goes to West Point goes there on a scholarship.  My husband went there.  God help me, I told him I'm visiting the Bachelor forums and we're talking about Luke being a dullard and West Point and our conversation went like this:

DH: There are plenty of guys there who are absolute idiots.

Me: How do they get in?

DH: Their dad knows a congressman.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

I don't know what's wrong with the board but they had me down for the original poster that you quoted and that was @JudyObscure not me. They sent me a notification that I had been quoted and I noticed it right away. I had responded to her post earlier but I don't know how that happened.

Yorklee2, the quote I copied was your reply to Judy's original post. So yeah, I did quote you. I was just creating the third reply to Judy's call for Clare's shop names.

I haven't looked at West Point, but it's a free ride at the Air Force Academy if you get in. You just have to serve in the AF for a set time afterward ... plus cannot be married or have kids. Rules are strict, but it's all free and a great education.

12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yorklee2, the quote I copied was your reply to Judy's original post. So yeah, I did quote you. I was just creating the third reply to Judy's call for Clare's shop names.

I haven't looked at West Point, but it's a free ride at the Air Force Academy if you get in. You just have to serve in the AF for a set time afterward ... plus cannot be married or have kids. Rules are strict, but it's all free and a great education.

All of the military academies are at no cost but require a service commitment.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I realize that's what you were doing but if you go up the page just a little you will see that what you quoted were Judy's words not mine. I said, "how about "Paradise Cuts and Styles", and that it wasn't as good as hers but it was fun to join in. I was just quoting her original post. It's not a big deal I'm just curious how technically her words got attributed to me.

Yorklee, I did the cut/paste from your post so you get credit for it. Look, here's my post you just quoted:

10 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

See, you get credit for that one, too, since it's taken from your post. That's just how this site works. Doesn't bother me.

And JudyObscure, will you forgive me for this site crediting your words to someone else? Please and pretty please please?

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yorklee, I did the cut/paste from your post so you get credit for it. Look, here's my post you just quoted:

See, you get credit for that one, too, since it's taken from your post. That's just how this site works. Doesn't bother me.

And JudyObscure, will you forgive me for this site crediting your words to someone else? Please and pretty please please?

Oh ok I did not realize it worked that way! You would think their IT department could fix that.

3 hours ago, deSchenke said:

Anybody who goes to West Point goes there on a scholarship..

Yes. But people who want to have a scholarship to a D1 school for sports? But cant get a full one at an elite sports school, can get one at Army or Navy.  And if you are recruited to play sports, its easier to get in  (like every other university). Well - not easier, because you have to be really good at sports, but the hoops to entry? The coaches help you clear them.  

Edited by fib
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And JudyObscure, will you forgive me for this site crediting your words to someone else?

Hah!  I was reading down the thread and didn't even notice.  I just wish someone else would take credit for some of my lame and TMI posts.

Nope, that's not Kevin, who has dark hair.  That guy looks more like Christian, Clare's German, Jacuzzi man.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ByTor said:

Kevin was on Bachelorette Canada.  Was it this guy?

image.png.ffb1a687a9814aa907644dd5dfc8ecac.png

Nope - but he has that look too! The one that picked April is the one I was thinking of - Tim?? How in the hell did they manage to get three guys who look like that?

On 2/18/2018 at 12:41 PM, JudyObscure said:

I'll bet Clare's appointment's are backed up till next Christmas and she charges triple the going rate.  I'll admit I'd go just to hear some inside scoop on the regulars and also to have my hair colored  Clare's own shade, which I love.  I just hope there's a picture on the outside of a raccoon in pink rollers and she named her salon something like, "Wrong Reasons," "Scissors and Sluts,"  "Rolled Hard and Blown Out" ...   anybody?

Love you honey! 

"I actually don't feel stupid saying that I could fall in love with him."

You should feel stupid, Ashley. You should. That's the very definition of moronic.

"I picture him at the end of the aisle"!!!! Are you kidding me? Gee, I wonder why your relationships haven't worked out so far. It's a real mystery.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Wings said:

Just watching now in MT.  What couple? It could be anyone! 

When you find yourself pounding your head on the counter and going "what just happened??" that will have been it. :)

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, phlebas said:

When you find yourself pounding your head on the counter and going "what just happened??" that will have been it. :)

LOL!  I have done that with everyone. I used to think BIP was the stupidest show. No more. 

• Love 4

Yuki and her best friend Ben sledding was cute. 

Dean and Lesley can’t even high five—even with two tries! If this isn’t the universe telling them there is NO connection here, I don’t know what is. Yet, she wins the date.

Clare is upset because Lesley already had a date. Though Clare had a jacuzzi appointment that she didn’t show up for. And, as all Germans know, when you make a jacuzzi appointment, it’s a date! So, your own fault on that one, Clare. 

Favorite part of the ski competition: Courtney saying he feels pretty good and is all ready, then promptly drops all of his gear all over the place, while just staring at the camera.

Well, show-off Dean goes under the finish line backwards and still wins. Now let’s see how desperate people get begging for this extra date card. I’m guessing the producers will make them give it to Ashley because for some reason they think Bachelor Nation is all-in on her dating life and/or losing her virginity. Two episodes left...before we need to bring her back to Paradise if we can’t hook her up.

Yep. Wow, this off-the-shoulder Sandy at the end of Grease jacket look is...SOMETHING. I don’t even know what to say about this other than oh, no, honey! Ashley just let Kevin smush clay all over her face to kiss her—and she’s not even freaking out about her makeup so this is true love, I guess.

Clare and Christian get their jacuzzi appointment and, no surprise, Clare is just not feeling it. She needs some physical effort and affection on his part and he’s content for everyone to stay on their side of the jacuzzi and just trust their stomachs. He wishes Clare could speak German because, no doubt, the only issue is the rough translation between “stomach” and “gut” and that would certainly change everything. Regret sending Benoit home yet, Clare?

Is Ben trying out to be The Bachelor again? I guess this is one of those cynical comments that hurts. Ok, we believe that you truly loved Lauren. Tears dry up fast as he says when it happens he’ll be ready. So...that was a re-Bachelor audition? Oh, yeah, totally. He just doesn’t see his wife in THIS room. Aw, poor Yuki. Oh, yeah, some other girl left before. I have nothing to say about that, but figure I should at least acknowledge her existence. Now Michael is leaving, but no one ever knew he was there to begin with. 

So, the show made it seem like it was all of their choices but 4th wall is broken real fast when Harrison learns freaking Japanese to tell Yuki she has to leave. Now that she’s a “fan favorite” maybe they’ll trot her back out for Paradise. Or, heck, all of the top contenders on Arie’s season are a bore, so make her The Bachelorette.

Now Clare and Christian are out—no surprise.

Judges were NOT impressed with Dean and Lesley’s dance kiss, but I thought it was funny. At least they tried to make an Olympics routine. They’re no Virtue and Moir, for sure, but no one is. But I can see it coming off as Wrong Reasons.

Laughed at JoJo and Rachel’s reaction to Ashley’s kiss: Winter is your season!

Josiah whispers into his secret service/producer mic, and the camera crew goes running to catch Ally vomiting. Really, people? But Josiah was very sweet with her. Kissing for the Right Reasons. I realize it would be a long shot for them to work it out SO long-distance, but sad to see them be cut. I think he really cares about her.

• Love 15

Jesus did I just bleed some more brain cells watching this dreck. Why have I continued?

first that Yuki whine is the sound nightmares are made of. Much more of that and i was headed for straight jacket city. Good god. 

This made me laugh.. Ben -I’m leaving. Wailing and teeth knashing and oh god don’t go....  Then Micharl- I’m leaving...ok dude C ya.... (paraphrase). Lol

So thinking Ben really loved Lauren. 

• Love 16

It's hazy but I seem to recall hearing that Ben was asked at some point after his breakup with Lauren if he would ever do the Bachelor again and he said something to the effect that he wouldn't rule it out.  So I really want to believe that he was genuinely still that broken up about it but this franchise has made me so skeptical that a small part of me was thinking what a perfect resume and audition to do the Bachelor again. And the show (Chris H) love him. I remember Chris congratulating him on a great season and being one of the best they had ever had. Not that it would be completely a bad thing. They could and have done worse.

ETA: I just saw where @JenE4 posted something similar so guess I'm not the only one thinking it.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 8

Ashley is no Demi Moore, and Kevin is certainly no Patrick Swayze (may he RIP). Kevin said that he "almost" respects Ashley's decision to stay a virgin, and she took that as a compliment. She has a master's degree in journalism and still doesn't understand that "almost" means "not really."

Christian, way to represent Germany *and* Switzerland. If all German and Swiss men moved as slowly as him, both countries would have a population crisis on their hands.

The kissing contest was completely disgusting, and not just the part where Ally had to be sick. The way JoJo got so into watching other people kiss was disturbing.

The most shocking thing about this episode was the revelation that Chris Harrison speaks Japanese.

• Love 17

I got cracked up at Rachel being so down on Dean and Lesley's kiss. Like, "I came here for a show darn it not this juvenile playground sh__t!" Lol. 

Poor Ally. Winter games just wasn't for her. First bruising her tail and then being sick in front of national TV. Hope her and Josiah can keep in touch and remain friends if nothing else. He was really sweet to her.

Luke seemed really nervous to be kissing in front of JoJo but Stassi saved the day. I was a little surprised at the sensual way she kissed him. Maybe there was something to that "connection" Luke's been raving about.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I got cracked up at Rachel being so down on Dean and Lesley's kiss. Like, "I came here for a show darn it not this juvenile playground sh__t!" Lol. 

She's probably still salty about "do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?" and "what's your favorite dinosaur?"

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, rlc said:

I need a silkwood shower after watching that.

This is very funny! 

Bibliana for next bachette.  I really like her. 

I have always liked Jojo and just realized I never liked Rachael all that much.  She needs bangs. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

She's probably still salty about "do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?" and "what's your favorite dinosaur?"

Yeah it probably gave her flashbacks about how immature he was. To bad Lesley can't see it.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Yeah it probably gave her flashbacks about how immature he was. To bad Lesley can't see it.

There's a saying in German, "wer nicht hören will muss fühlen" - "s/he who doesn't want to listen must experience." Lesley knows about Dean's behavior both on The Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise and chose to date him anyway, so if he lets her down, it will be on her.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

Jesus did I just bleed some more brain cells watching this dreck. Why have I continued?

OMG!  This show is horrible.  I watched for a while then flipped over to My Big Fat Beautiful Life and could not choose which one was worse.  The problem with this franchise and these second, third, 100th chances is that nothing changes but they expect a different result.  Why would they keep going on the show and embarrass themselves?  How would this even work with international relationships?  Moving, immigrating to a new country is not easy and if you can't make it work on different coasts how are you going to make it work in different countries.

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Ashley is no Demi Moore, and Kevin is certainly no Patrick Swayze (may he RIP). Kevin said that he "almost" respects Ashley's decision to stay a virgin, and she took that as a compliment. She has a master's degree in journalism and still doesn't understand that "almost" means "not really."

If I have to hear about her and her virginity one more time I WILL LOSE IT.  Double entendre , ha ha.  She is 29 years old, 29!  She is making way to much out of this.  Just grab a friend and do it for God's sake.  What a complete turn off.  She would be better just not mentioning it.  She has no idea that each partner is different and unique.

They run this twice a week?  Oh, fuck no!

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, Ivana Tinkle said:

Am I going straight to hell for thinking Yuki sounded like Miss Swan? 

Lol!  I had forgotten about Ms Swan. Love her. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3

Somebody really needs to give Ashley some good fashion advice. It's like she knows no in between. It's either she tries to go for what she thinks is the sexy/racy look (the lingerie bodysuit, that gold boob undercut gown) or the schoolmarm look (that godawful midcalf monstrosity she was wearing tonight). Not to mention that biker babe leather thing she was wearing on her date. And she seems to wear things that don't flatter her shape. She needs a fashion intervention.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 15

I know the slope was icy, but did no one pole plant during the race? I haven’t skied in years but things can’t have changed that much. 

37 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Somebody really needs to give Ashley some good fashion advice

Has it always been this bad? I don’t think on BIP (and Batch) it was this, well, fugly. 

Edited by Refresh
Typo

So, I wonder, who is the best at pushing someone that is interested away, Christian or Dean. I mean after all the talk of how important the Jacuzzi was to him they didn't even sit next to each other or even make any attempt to connect.

Then we have the classic Dean 'laugh it off' and 'humma humma' approach. Both have been equally effective I'd say.

Of course maybe in the running would be Josiah whose 'connection' was so strong the thought of kissing him in front of everybody literally made her sick to her stomach.

Such strong bonds this show creates!

Oh and we've not seen the last of Yuki or Ben I have a feeling...

ETA: Ashley needs a mirror and a real friend to teach her how to look in that mirror and realize she looks ridiculous in this outfit. That leather and zippers monstrosity? Not much better than that rose ceremony look. Girl needs intervention, on so many levels. She needs a life coach actually.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 12