Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: Final Three/S17.E16: All-Star Finale

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Chef Ramsay informs the remaining three all-stars that all of them will compete in the finale. As a reward, Ramsay invites the contestants to a retreat at Calamigos Ranch in Malibu. However, the vacation soon turns upside-down when Ramsay announces their last challenge. The three finalists must cook and perfect their menus and only two will advance.

The Season 17 finale. The final two all-stars pick from the season's past contestants to join them on their team for the final dinner service. With a head chef position at the first ever Hell's Kitchen flagship restaurant at Caesars Palace Las Vegas, and a salary of a quarter of a million dollars on the line it all comes down to this.

I forgot this was on, so I only saw the second half.  I assumed that Michelle had been stuck with Elise, but  @cooksdelight comment is making me think she picked her.  Can't imagine why she would have.  

Other than that, I only really have two comments.

1.  If Michelle and Benjamin were being the head chefs in their own kitchens, Chef Ramsay should have stayed out of it.  He really seemed to have managed the Robyn situation for Benjamin.

2. However Elise ended up on Michelle's team, I think Michelle managed her as well as was possible.

• Love 4

Two more things.  I do agree with Benjamin that you don't necessarily have to be screaming at your employees to get their best work.  And, gee whiz Elise, get over it.  You lost the competition a few weeks ago (or however time moves in this competition).  

Just now, Rap541 said:

It was a pick between Elise or Barbie - I suspect she picked based on who was less likely to flame out in a crazy rage. 

OK, that's pretty much a no-win situation, but I probably would have taken Barbie just because Elise was really bullying Michelle all season.

• Love 7

Elise has the bitchiest personality that ever bitched, I don’t think that is really in doubt.

But fuck’s sake, Michelle.  Just leave her alone!  You don’t want her to act a crotch, then ask her once and move on.  And seriously why are you trying to hug her?

I have watched every season of this show and have no recollection of a finalist with blue hair.

I have no love for Barbie, but the way Benjamin treated her is one of the best things that has ever happened on this show.

I knew Michelle was going to win.  Eh.  I would have preferred Benjamin because he’s a tad less annoying.

• Love 6

Michelle was good.  I find it interesting that Chef Ramsey took note of her in Season 14 and said she was the  strongest 22 year old he had ever seen.  Whateever may be said about Ramsey, women have won Hell's Kitchen  a large number of times.  He is not a sexist in the kitchen.  Compare with Tom Colicchio getting all surprised when a woman is EC in Top Chef.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have watched every season of this show and have no recollection of a finalist with blue hair.

Jason "Jay" Santos from Season 7 had blue hair. He was the runner up who thankfully lost to Holli Ugalde, my favorite winner so far.

I thought it’d be Michelle vs. Nick. 

I did kind of hope someone would “oui, Chef” Benjamin. 

Elise vs. Barbie was rock vs. hard place. Elise was probably the better choice based on strength, but she’s also full-on crazy beeyotch. 

Not surprised by the fake awards being fake awards. Expected that. 

• Love 5

I sort of adore that Elise did appear to be weeping at Michelle's win.... head in hands. It was just an instant but....

eta - and we have full weeping in a credits confessional!

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 6

I'm disappointed.  I wanted either of the guys to win.  Anyone but Michelle actually.  She can cook but she's such a self-centered little snot and I imagine she's insufferable now.  I sort of understood why she chose Elise.  Barbie is less talented and a total wild card.  She may have thought Elise wouldn't deliberately make herself look bad during her final appearance.  She was wrong but I can see why she might have gambled on it.  I actually agreed with Elise that Michelle was being obnoxious by repeating everything in her bossy way.  I don't agree with the way she responded though.

Ben has cute, nicely behaved little girls.  Michelle's nephews look like little trolls.  With terrible table manners.  

The first part of the final was totally and annoyingly contrived.  First, it was fairly obvious that was a fake awards dinner.  The crowd was too small and there weren't any recognizable California chefs that I could see.   And it was sooooo unexpected that they just happened to have the kitchen set up for three cooks - all of whom somehow changed into chef coats and, in the case of Michelle who was wearing a dress, pants - in moments while the crowd waited.  Then the judging ended up in, quelle surprise, a three-way tie.  I don't know why GR resorts to all that phony drama when the premise of the show is a good one.  

I hate this show but I just can't not watch it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Elise was probably crying because she knew she had no chance of a job at Ramsay's new restaurant in Las Vegas.

That place wouldve been getting a ton of customer complaints on Yelp had she taken the job

• Love 7
1 hour ago, backformore said:

I enjoyed the moment when you could sort of tell that the three finalists KNEW there was no "awards ceremony"  but had to play along and pretend.  I mean, we've all seen the show before, we know how this goes.   

Yeah, that was completely obvious. Same thing every year. No way anyone can fall for it. 

• Love 2

I was happy with the result.  Michelle is crazy talented with an incredible palate, and I think Gordon recognized a raw power in her  (OK - I'm going all Last Jedi trailer here) in contrast to Ben, who had technical abilities but just was just sort of being there.

I think Michelle picked Elise on principle to show she could handle Elise in a brigade environment.  Elise was her usual nasty-faced self to the end.  I wouldn't hire her to clean my pool, let alone cook food I intended to eat.  Now that the season's over, does anybody know where Elise is incarcerated?

All the dished looked spot-on.  Of course, Mr. pig and I were eating Jack in the Box at the time.

• Love 21

Congrats Michelle, I was rooting for her.  

Even though the "awards dinner" was obviously fake, it was still a kind of dressy event and of course Elise shows up chomping on gum like a tacky cow chewing its cud.  Ugh.  Elise can cook but it's not Michelle repeating orders to her that holds her back, it's her own stank attitude. 

• Love 15

Dear Ben, who thought your Season 7 hair was a good look... on anyone? At any time?

So Elise is a poor-sported crank at any time... good to know.  I agree the gum was hideous and that somehow Elise thought it would reflect badly upon the operation, and not her.  I find it hard to believe that this is the only TV show she's ever watched, how often do you see people onscreen chewing gum, outside of its being intended as a bubble-blowing prop or SNL-style harbinger of ultimate tackiness?

Congratulations to Michelle and sorry Nick had to be sent home off the back of basically no mistakes.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm disappointed.  I wanted either of the guys to win.  Anyone but Michelle actually.  She can cook but she's such a self-centered little snot and I imagine she's insufferable now.  I sort of understood why she chose Elise.  Barbie is less talented and a total wild card.  She may have thought Elise wouldn't deliberately make herself look bad during her final appearance.  She was wrong but I can see why she might have gambled on it.  I actually agreed with Elise that Michelle was being obnoxious by repeating everything in her bossy way.  I don't agree with the way she responded though.

Ben has cute, nicely behaved little girls.  Michelle's nephews look like little trolls.  With terrible table manners.  

The first part of the final was totally and annoyingly contrived.  First, it was fairly obvious that was a fake awards dinner.  The crowd was too small and there weren't any recognizable California chefs that I could see.   And it was sooooo unexpected that they just happened to have the kitchen set up for three cooks - all of whom somehow changed into chef coats and, in the case of Michelle who was wearing a dress, pants - in moments while the crowd waited.  Then the judging ended up in, quelle surprise, a three-way tie.  I don't know why GR resorts to all that phony drama when the premise of the show is a good one.  

I hate this show but I just can't not watch it.

Noticed that there was a previous contestant from Worst Cooks show in the audience (the lady with the short white hair).

I was surprised that Nick was out at 3 as Gordon really seemed to like his sauces, etc.  Gordon actually said something about putting the carrot sauce on his menu.  Oh well.

There was a lot of talent in the final 3.  

Hope to never see Elise again on any show or in any restaurant I go to.

• Love 15

I do admit, I was surprised it was Michelle vs Benjiman - I thought Nick had it locked up between his mature ways and his backstory of gay and married. On the other hand... I think Gordon wanted Michelle to win - and honestly enough with the 'we're tied for every single everyone is so fantastic its all down to one point; nonsense - I mind that more than the obviously eye rolly fake awards - only a moron who's never seen the show thinks a special surprise evening of fun and no cooking isn't a trap - because Gordon sees her as someone he can mold. LIke her or hate her (she's a bit bitchy for my tastes) I think Gordon could make her into another Christine, and I never got that from sadsack Benjiman.

Michelle's nephews were nice looking kids and they were unlucky enough to be filmed having to eat pasta on camera, which is never pretty with the under ten set. 

• Love 15

Had Benjamin made a call to replace Robyn with Barbie on the meats station, I think the win would have been his.  Barbie was not right for hot appetizers and did a killer job on meat all season... and Robyn was dying there. 

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Had Benjamin made a call to replace Robyn with Barbie on the meats station, I think the win would have been his.  Barbie was not right for hot appetizers and did a killer job on meat all season... and Robyn was dying there. 

Exactly! Which is why Ramsay chose Michelle. Benjamin is in his early 40s and still doesn’t have command of a kitchen. Michelle is young and as others have noted, she can be molded into what Ramsay wants. Benjamin is too busy oui-cheffing to see his shortcomings.

• Love 22

I’m actually glad Nick didn’t win just because his interviews were pretty awful sometimes.  I mean, it’s reality TV so everyone is going to be snarky and rude but his seemed worse, to me.  And lord knows I’ve said worse behind the anonymity of the interwebs, but still.

He’s cute and his husband seems sweet and he was probably playing up to the cameras but...not leadership material, IMO.

• Love 4

I thought both Benjamin and Michelle handled their teams well.  I liked Benjamin's preservice pep talk, and he treated his team with respect.  Ramsay should have backed off and let him deal with Robyn though.  I get it--"Your menu, my standards," but it should have been Benjamin's test to pass or fail.  Or maybe it got to the point where he couldn't wait for Benjamin to handle it anymore, by which point I assume Benjamin had already lost.  OTOH, Michelle handled Elise as well as anyone could have handled Elise, and wouldn't have had to repeat herself ad nauseam if Elise had just bothered to answer her even once.

Where Michelle outshone Benjamin was in how well she knew her team, having worked closely with every single one of them in her two seasons, and played to their strengths.  She placed Elise strategically, and had a plan for getting rid of her if she needed to.  I'm baffled why Benjamin, who had never worked with Barbie, didn't bother to find out what her strengths were and use her accordingly.  I 100% agree with Drogo's post above that if he'd flip-flopped her with Robyn, he might have won, although I also think that GR preferred Michelle in large part because she is moldable.

• Love 11

And here's something I agree with Elise on - Benjiman should have chosen her over Robyn.  Robyn's problem has always been a tendency to get into the weeds and then freak out and not recover. Benjiman's inability to handle that is likely what sunk him (if we assume Michelle wasn't the chosen one and it was all preordained). I think Elise would have been *delighted* to do whatever she could to see Benjiman win over Michelle. 

One point I will give Elise as well - she wasn't motivated, she was disrespectful and unpleasant, but she wasn't sending up shitty plate after shitty plate and basically demanding to be fired. She could have. 

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Benjiman should have chosen her over Robyn. 

11 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I think Elise would have been *delighted* to do whatever she could to see Benjiman win over Michelle. 

I wonder if maybe part of his thought process might have been that Elise might actively try to sabotage Michelle.  Her hatred of Michelle was not at all a secret.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wonder if maybe part of his thought process might have been that Elise might actively try to sabotage Michelle.  Her hatred of Michelle was not at all a secret.

Possibly, although had Michelle chosen Barbie over Elise, he would have been stuck with both of them anyway.  Since Michelle had first pick, that was a situation that was out of his control.

Ah but if he had chosen Elise, Michelle might have picked Robyn - who she had a good relationship with - over Barbie.

So he would have been stuck with Elise and Barbie, both of whom are super volatile at times, whereas Michelle would have Robyn who she got along with. 

And to be fair to Robyn, I thought the sabotage bitching by Gordon was extremely unfair. She's just not a super chef, she falls apart when stressed, that's a whole lot different than deliberately sinking someone intentionally. I mean really, why would she sabotage Benjimen anyway? 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Ah but if he had chosen Elise, Michelle might have picked Robyn - who she had a good relationship with - over Barbie.

So he would have been stuck with Elise and Barbie, both of whom are super volatile at times, whereas Michelle would have Robyn who she got along with. 

And to be fair to Robyn, I thought the sabotage bitching by Gordon was extremely unfair. She's just not a super chef, she falls apart when stressed, that's a whole lot different than deliberately sinking someone intentionally. I mean really, why would she sabotage Benjimen anyway? 

Good point, and I agree wholeheartedly about Robyn.  She's inconsistent, but she's never been an outright bitch or saboteur.  It was unfair of Ramsay to rail on her, especially since she was well out of the running anymore.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Congrats Michelle, I was rooting for her.  

Even though the "awards dinner" was obviously fake, it was still a kind of dressy event and of course Elise shows up chomping on gum like a tacky cow chewing its cud.  Ugh.  Elise can cook but it's not Michelle repeating orders to her that holds her back, it's her own stank attitude. 

I could not get past the gum chewing. My big question is - yeah, we knew the awards thing was just a set up for a cook off, but Michele had on dressy shoes. Did someone bring her some sneakers? : )  

Elise - you are a terrible person. Classless, graceless, and without a drop of concern for your team or your fellow humans. The sooner you fade into the woodwork, never to be heard from again, the better off we will all be. I can't imagine working with her or for her.  Every time I see her, I think of the saying, "Blowing out someone else's candle won't make yours shine brighter." 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’m actually glad Nick didn’t win just because his interviews were pretty awful sometimes.  I mean, it’s reality TV so everyone is going to be snarky and rude but his seemed worse, to me.  And lord knows I’ve said worse behind the anonymity of the interwebs, but still.

He’s cute and his husband seems sweet and he was probably playing up to the cameras but...not leadership material, IMO.

I was really surprised at his attitude shift from his prior season, though. He was entitled and overconfident at times, but so much more mature than his original appearance. 

It was also to Michelle’s benefit that he was out of the running — which GR no doubt knew. Who else would be Michelle’s first choice? Not only are the two of them truly friends, but Michelle had Nick to help watch her back, huge asset on her brigade  

• Love 7

I had a talking to myself "what if" moment. What if Gordan doesn't make the final choice to pick which finalist wins. Instead, he just picks the door handle that will open, leaving it up to chance which finalist will pick the correct door.  Sometimes I wonder about myself. That's another what if.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

Unbelievably, I found myself feeling sorry for Robyn, especially when she kept trying to come back into the kitchen.  

I also wanted to reach through the screen and smack Elise until she cried.  Wouldn't it be amazing to find out that Elise's behavior was completely contrived by the producers and GRR?  Nah, unlikely, but a chick can at least dream.  Congratulations, Michelle, good luck in Vegas.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Unbelievably, I found myself feeling sorry for Robyn, especially when she kept trying to come back into the kitchen.  

I kind of felt bad for her, but on the other hand, she is obviously not cut out for any kind of high stress job.  Anything where she can get flustered or yelled at.    And, she wasn't competing any more, so when she got thrown out, she should have just kicked back.  She should have at least taken the first no.  Benjamin was busy and fighting to win.  He had better things to do than argue with her about whether or not she could come back.  And, while he obviously lost anyway, I think Chef Ramsay wouldn't have approved of letting someone back in that he had just personally thrown out.  But, then again, maybe he would have.  what do I know?

If Robyn also likes baking, maybe she should get into that.  That should be less pressure, as you do most of the work before opening the bakery. 

• Love 6

I really think Robyn has some sort of psychological issue that I am in no way qualified to diagnose.  Tourette's?  OCD?  She can't seem to focus and goes off on tangents.

Unlike some contestants (cough), I don't think she is mean-spirited and hateful.  I hope she finds her happy place and is able to use her talents to the best of her ability.

• Love 6

I hate to be so... cynical? But there's a reason this show has a high suicide rate and Robyn's treatment had to be humiliating at the time and now, now that millions of people have gotten to watch it. 

I don't think she's meanspirited or hateful.... I don't think she has a diagnosable psychological issue, or rather nothing seems so off about her that I question why she's walking around and not under treatment somewhere. I don't even think that about Elise -