Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

That said, when Virtue and Moir retire again, the judges are going to have to dial the scores back for the French because having them win everything by 10+ points will get old fast. 

• Love 8

Yaaaaaaay, my Shib sibs won the bronze!!!!!!!!!  So happy for them!

Also, glad the rest of the podium turned out that way.  V/M are not my favorites, but they certainly should have won.  Congrats, Canada!

• Love 19

Here's my Every!4!Years!Fan opinion: the commentators can point things out that I might not get, but this relentless tonguebathing is a turnoff.  It's easy for me to love an ice dancing routine, but I love 'em muted anymore.  This year --excepting the ShibsSparkle -- was just meh for me.  More than meh.  Disappointing.  Yammer genius all they want.  Left me cold as the ice.

*off to rewatch Davis & White & 2014*

• Love 7

I would have had P/C in third - they were not deducted nearly enough for the lackluster performance brought on by the "wardrobe malfunction" in the short, and the "transcendent artistry" of their free dance is overrated. But at least the right 3 teams made the podium.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, MaKaM said:

That said, when Virtue and Moir retire again, the judges are going to have to dial the scores back for the French because having them win everything by 10+ points will get old fast. 

I'm sure there will be new Russians by then.

• Love 5

I had to walk away, I couldn't watch.  I'm so happy for V&M!  I'm not a huge fan but I love to see people rise to the occasion!

Edited to add:  I HATED Moulin Rouge but the 'Roxanne' tango was the only thing I liked from that movie.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 1

The medalists are right but only because the skaters forced it with the French SD issues and Hubbell /Donohue issues in the FD. The judges were totally going to go a different based on the best overscores they could find. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

But we still have ladies

In that case, the shock would be if Med and Zag didn't get first and second. After the fairness of these first three disciplines, I'm actually OK with what I expect to happen, although they do need to change the rules to lessen jump backloading.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3
Just now, MaKaM said:

The medalists are right but only because the skaters forced it with the French SD issues and Hubbell /Donohue issues in the FD. The judges were totally going to go a different based on the best overscores they could find. 

Don’t disagree with you, H/D’s PCS we’re still higher than the Shibs. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I also like that the Team Event seemed to help the Shibs and V/M. Both made adjustments after. That bodes well for participation next time around.

Yeah, this Olympics definitely suggests that participating in the team event is a good idea rather than a distraction.

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Heh, the Greatest Figure Skating Scandal Of Our Time is...the judges actually doing their jobs.

But we still have ladies...

Hahaha right.  Usually we're all screaming bullshit at one of these at this point.  Let's see what the ladies bring.

• Love 4

I’m so confused as to why anyone thinks H/D of all couples would have been conspiracied into a bronze over the Shibs...

This is my nightmare podium and I feel like I’m in bizarro world! The Shibs are so blah to me. H/D are the most exciting thing about US ice dance right now, and I’m so sad for them. P/C are truly transcendent, and I can’t believe the gold medal winner skated to Moulin Rouge. Moulin Rouge, people! Gah. 

• Love 3

Im in the 'V/M deserved it because they were the best skaters but I don't feel the program'. It's cheap thrills. 

I found the French boring. It's a lovely program but it wasn't enough. Esp not for that score. 

I would have put The Shibs second. I totally admit bias but they put together two fantastic programs. And had the second best reaction from the audience.

I'm actually having second hand embarrassment at the lack of reaction for the French. 

I do feel bad for the other American Teams.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 11

I love Gabby and Guillaume but something seemed off about them from the start. It wasn't just the wardrobe malfunction. You could see the tension all over Gabby's face and body. It didn't help that they played it safe with the FD content as well. If you want to see them at their best, watch last year's FD.

V/M have the edge on consistency, speed, and, well, a certain arrogance that I think is needed to win. In four years P/C will be much stronger. This was a typical somewhat rough first Olympic outing for them.

• Love 1

The French can hold their heads up but it wasn't their night.  If you throw down a gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up.

Very happy for the Shib sibs.  Now I'd like to see them kick out the jams a little.  They can let their hair down a bit now.

I'm hearing talk about V&M being the 'greatest ice dancers of all time'.  That is absolute nonsense.  They're good.  And they earned their medal tonight the old fashioned way; by outskating everyone in the fucking building.  I've been impressed by V&M but I don't know if I've been moved.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I’m glad the Shibs medaled. As for the gold medalists...I hate that program.

I’m not a fan of their program either- but she looks good for having birthed so many secret love children.

Beyond thrilled for the Shibs!

Women’s event is always unpredictable, I think one of the Russian ladies does well but not both. Pressure will get to one of them  

2014 - Adelina: upset

2010 - Yuna: favorite

2006 - Shizuka: upset

2002 - Sarah: upset

1998 - Tara: upset

1994 - Oksana: co-favorite (she was reigning world champion)

• Love 7

I liked how the Shibs seemed subdued when they realized they made the podium because they saw their teammates faltering. At least that’s how I interpreted their reaction. We are celebrating enough for them.

• Love 14
47 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

With no gold medals the last time I checked for the Russian* team I'm sure they will ensure one of the ladies will get the OGM.

*adjusts tin foil hat*

I just hope they don’t make up for missing the pair & dance podiums by sweeping the ladies podium.

• Love 2

Lol at CBC having not one but two Virtue and Moir career retrospective fluff pieces ready to go after the event.

I wonder if they still would have run them if they'd lost? Probably, since this was their last skate I guess.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

What a night!!!  The Shib Sibs did it--congratulations, kids!  And to Hubble/Donahue?  A Bitch Face just invites bad karma so get over yourselves (& ya shudda spent a couple hours w/ your real teammates during the team event cause all that extra practice didn't help, did it?)

• Love 12

Congrats to Virtue and Moir!  I really did think their program was the best.   The French were very good too but I didn't really see anything "transcendent" about their programme.  I also agree with the comment upthread that they should have been docked more for the nip slip.  She spent parts of the programme with her arm in an awkward position trying to hold up the dress.  

Congrats to the Shibutanis.  Even without the other guy touching the ice, they deserved to win.  If the other couple hadn't gotten a deduction, would they have placed higher than Shibs?  I enjoyed the Shibs performance, and I thought Hubbell/Donahue's music was dreadfully boring.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

I just hope they don’t make up for missing the pair & dance podiums by sweeping the ladies podium.

Turn Kostner into an honorary Russian? ETA, Er honorary not!Russian. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 1

Welp.  I checked, and sure enough: Scheherazade, still made my heart stop.  And that was with those lovely minimalist Down Under announcers, proving that someone licking my ear through a performance, just not necessary.

It's the odd duck pairing gets me every time; not the bride & groom on the cake.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

What a night!!!  The Shib Sibs did it--congratulations, kids!  And to Hubble/Donahue?  A Bitch Face just invites bad karma so get over yourselves (& ya shudda spent a couple hours w/ your real teammates during the team event cause all that extra practice didn't help, did it?)

Ok can we let this go now? H/D had a very rough night and Shibs got a medal. Jesus. I don't even like H/D but them looking so crestfallen isn't something I want to see. And I've watched that videotape and don't see bitch-face anywhere. I saw more bitch face tonight with a crestfallen Gabriella tbh.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Considering they were rated higher in PCS than the Shibs, they likely would have gotten bronze without the fall, which is ridiculous considering their program was kind of trashy. YMMV. 

Eh, tons of “trashy” programs have won medals. I love their connection and their energy. The timing of the program is also really fascinating when they’re on.

I just find the Shibs so boring and Maia’s line doesn’t work for me (especially in lifts). Their Coldplay trilogy just isn’t my cup of tea!

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I'm glad that P/C had a good skate tonight after yesterday's mishap, but I don't think they warrant all of the gushing they are getting from Tanith. Am I missing something?

2015 Worlds:

2016 Worlds (was there that night!)

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Heh, the Greatest Figure Skating Scandal Of Our Time is...the judges actually doing their jobs.

But we still have ladies...

Oh no.  After most ice skating conspiracy theories not panning out, I don't think I can do it for another group.

I preferred the French.  I didn't find them boring at well.  But I'm happy for the Shib Sibs.

I feel bad for H/D but I didn't like their music choice.  It reminded me too much of their short dance music choice in that it didn't remind me of a song at all.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

2015 Worlds:

2016 Worlds (was there that night!)

Ahhhh, I was also in Boston that night and it was one of the most exciting performances I’ve ever seen. The way he moves is truly exquisite, and the audience was electric. There was no doubt they had won after that!

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 2