Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I was willing to watch an episode of MaGyver to see Amy Acker.  That says a lot.

15 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

They gotta bring in Bart Allen at some point, and I'm pretty sure Barry and Iris have to be a couple for that to happen.

Unless they do it as Bart Allen from the future.  Like they had the article from the future written by Iris West-Allen, letting people know they're will be together but they're not now.

But I'm thinking they will wait till next season to do the obligatory split-up.  They just got together now.

16 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

The fact that they're introducing a whole new set mid-season (even if it's recycled from Arrow) to be their home makes me think they intend to keep them together for at least the rest of this season. Probably.

I can see a separation at some point, but I'm guessing it'd be temporary- then they get back together and get engaged. That's my guess.

They gotta bring in Bart Allen at some point, and I'm pretty sure Barry and Iris have to be a couple for that to happen.

If they do keep them mostly together, then good for them.  Maybe the show runners have learned from their Olicity mistake since the happiest all the fandoms were IMO was when Olicity was together but drama free.  I can't see how that would be a bad thing for WestAllen either.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I loved Root and Shaw. Of course I was the in the minority by not really liking Reese. I pretty much liked all the characters except him. 

They were my main ship for years. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

I love the scene where GA and BC are riding on her bike and nearly get run over by a train.  And she's all mad because "I just rebuilt that bike" and he's like "we nearly just got killed and that's what you're worried about?" Lol!  Very very much not Arrow's GA and BC.

They are hilarious and really, drama free when it comes to their relationship. But I just soak up and live for all of the Bats and Diana moments/episodes. One of my favorites from "This Little Piggy":

Diana: "No. No Dating for the Batman. It might cut in to your brooding time."

Bats: "One: dating within the team always leads to disaster. Two: You're a Princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues."

And then "Kids' Stuff" which is just so funny and adorable seeing wee Diana, wee Supes, wee Green Lantern, Wee Bats and baby Etrigan!

Sigh...

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Yes, I really loved WonderBat. :) And I couldn't believe it when they turned Wonder Woman into a pig, and them as kids - lol.  So so many fanfic tropes come to life. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yes, I really loved WonderBat. :)

And the lack of payoff with those two is one of the two things I hold against Timm. If I had to suffer through John Stewart and Shayera, while making Carter, Carter! a lying stalker, who was a poke in their twu wuv, and Huntress and Question, then I DESERVED to see some payoff with these two.

Just because.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now, I'm admitting to being totally biased, but I'd say just watch season seven for the awesome friendship between Clark and Chloe here, and despite what was written, and spoken, you can see that Clark loves Chloe, and his spouting his wuv for Lana is like, just rote, and there's no emotion or feeling behind it. Plus their take on Bizarro. And Bart Allen! Cyborg! A Black Canary that is believable and rocks those fishnet stockings!

Don't bother with seasons 8-10 unless you're a fan of Durance.  And wow, you can tell the hole that the departures of Rosenbaum and Glover left when they departed at the end of season seven and returned at the end of season 10 (Glover for a handful, and Rosenbaum only for the finale (10 minutes, but it was an AWESOME 10 minutes)).

But others who who have watched, may feel differently.

I bailed on Smallville after season 6 because I simply could not take the Clana anymore, although I did watch the series finale for nostalgia's sake.  (And as a Lex fan, the fake baby plot just about did me in.)  But I've become curious about the later seasons, particularly Chlollie, and I never minded Lois.  *shrug*  Candidly, in the early years I was in it for the Clex, not Chlark (sorry!), and then later I just wanted it to make sense, and Clana to go away.  Lol.

1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

I bailed on Smallville after season 6 because I simply could not take the Clana anymore, although I did watch the series finale for nostalgia's sake.  (And as a Lex fan, the fake baby plot just about did me in.)  But I've become curious about the later seasons, particularly Chlollie, and I never minded Lois.  *shrug*  Candidly, in the early years I was in it for the Clex, not Chlark (sorry!), and then later I just wanted it to make sense, and Clana to go away.  Lol.

Ah, okay. Then Season Nine will give you the Ollie and Chloe! Lana is gone by the end of season 7, but returns for a handful in eight, which, UGH.

So, hope that helps. Ollie only was in one episode in season 7; became a regular in eight.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ruby24 said:

The fact that they're introducing a whole new set mid-season (even if it's recycled from Arrow) to be their home makes me think they intend to keep them together for at least the rest of this season. Probably.

I can see a separation at some point, but I'm guessing it'd be temporary- then they get back together and get engaged. That's my guess.

They're still redressing that set for the Arrow loft, though, so I guess it doesn't take much to do it. It features in Arrow's MSP, and they used it for their Christmas do in that shape, which was after these episodes were filmed. Which is to say, I don't think it really guarantees anything either way.

43 minutes ago, bijoux said:

They're still redressing that set for the Arrow loft, though, so I guess it doesn't take much to do it. It features in Arrow's MSP, and they used it for their Christmas do in that shape, which was after these episodes were filmed. Which is to say, I don't think it really guarantees anything either way.

I'm not convinced it's the Arrow loft set. The CCPN set has also been MIA since the season premiere. I think it's new. I figure if we see both locations in most episodes of both shows from now on, it's probably a separate set.

But has anyone tried asking anyone who works on the show?

1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'm not convinced it's the Arrow loft set. The CCPN set has also been MIA since the season premiere. I think it's new. I figure if we see both locations in most episodes of both shows from now on, it's probably a separate set.

But has anyone tried asking anyone who works on the show?

That balcony was near identical, as was the loft's layout and shape.  I suppose they could have just taken the blueprints of the Arrow loft and tweaked it, but it really looked like just a redressed set.  I was recognizing wood grain and rails and windows.  

The problem with the Flash in terms of a stable Iris/Barry is the fact that they are probably aiming for a run as long as Smallville. So i definitely expect a delay until s5 or 6 after they hit a rough patch sometimes around the end of the season. This is the first time Iris/Barry have given it a try. A big break up is gonna follow without a doubt.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm the first to admit that I watched Smallville wrong on purpose, but if you skip S7 and just watch S8-S9-S10, it's like a completely different show. Almost no Lana [YAY!]; almost no Lex -- but I like Tess a 100 times better than Lex -- ymmv; almost no Smallville the town -- it's like a soft reboot to Metropolis. And there's A LOT of Justice League stuff, which is my very favorite part of Smallville.

I find Clark basically unwatchable, and S8 was right around the time Tom Welling asked for reduced screen time. So for me, those 3 seasons are basically the ~Chloe and Ollie set out to create a Justice League~ show, with Clark as their weird alien sidekick who likes to announce every character that enters the scene by saying their name in a surprised manner. It also helps that I genuinely love Lois, so if you like her, it makes the show more fun -- for me Lois is the single thing in the entire universe that makes Clark watchable.

My usual rewatch includes one episode of S6 [611/Justice - the first Justice League episode, and bonus: it has NO LANA IN IT], one episode of S7 [711/Siren - their introduction of Black Canary], and then S8-S9-S10 in full.

[The fun part of including Justice and Siren is that it's like Chloe and Ollie were always meant to be, and not something that they only thought of at the end of S8 after watching some dailies, and some writers were still unsure in early S9 -- Bryan Q. Miller actually told me this on Twitter:

tumblr_n0wgqmeSHK1qgd9bmo1_r2_500.gif

]

And then -- if you enjoy those last three seasons, then I highly recommend the comics BQM wrote after the show ended. I adore those comics.

• Love 8
On 1/16/2017 at 9:10 PM, BkWurm1 said:

He was just there in the beginning but there was an episode where Barry worked out with him and suddenly I adored him.  He was charming and sweet and seemed like the only one that really cared about Iris as an individual and not a damsel.  I also found myself rooting for their love story.  Screw destiny!  Only  sadly, he died to save them all which made him the real hero and pretty much put him on the same level as Tommy IMO.  Except Iris was actually faithful and nice to him.  

Gotta say I feel similar. And as someone who doesn't know about the Comic Destiny. I was rooting for a happy & relatively healthy relationship being shown on TV. Seriously, I would sometimes tune in just to watch Eddie's story.

And like Tommy, I hope if they do bring Eddie back it is only to do good things. I'm not on board for an evil or villain Eddie. A hallucination or dream is likely, but I even want that to be happy.

If the big bad uses his likeness or they find another Earth Eddie to be evil, I guess that is OK but predictable and over done.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

TooI'm the first to admit that I watched Smallville wrong on purpose, but if you skip S7 and just watch S8-S9-S10, it's like a completely different show. Almost no Lana [YAY!]; almost no Lex -- but I like Tess a 100 times better than Lex -- ymmv; almost no Smallville the town -- it's like a soft reboot to Metropolis. And there's A LOT of Justice League stuff, which is my very favorite part of Smallville.

I find Clark basically unwatchable, and S8 was right around the time Tom Welling asked for reduced screen time. So for me, those 3 seasons are basically the ~Chloe and Ollie set out to create a Justice League~ show, with Clark as their weird alien sidekick who likes to announce every character that enters the scene by saying their name in a surprised manner. It also helps that I genuinely love Lois, so if you like her, it makes the show more fun -- for me Lois is the single thing in the entire universe that makes Clark watchable.

My usual rewatch includes one episode of S6 [611/Justice - the first Justice League episode, and bonus: it has NO LANA IN IT], one episode of S7 [711/Siren - their introduction of Black Canary], and then S8-S9-S10 in full.

[The fun part of including Justice and Siren is that it's like Chloe and Ollie were always meant to be, and not something that they only thought of at the end of S8 after watching some dailies, and some writers were still unsure in early S9 -- Bryan Q. Miller actually told me this on Twitter:

tumblr_n0wgqmeSHK1qgd9bmo1_r2_500.gif

]

And then -- if you enjoy those last three seasons, then I highly recommend the comics BQM wrote after the show ended. I adore those comics.

Lol That is very specific viewing. I need to try that.

Lois Lois Lois. Does the rewatch skip her intro to journalism and the Daily Planet? I can't watch that and enjoy Lois. It's Canaries but 100 times worse for me.

I got Chlollie vibes from Justice. I still remember watching the episode with my sister and commenting on it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Lois Lois Lois. Does the rewatch skip her intro to journalism and the Daily Planet? I can't watch that and enjoy Lois. It's Canaries but 100 times worse for me.

That happened in S7, which, in my perfect universe, doesn't exist. :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Lol That is very specific viewing. I need to try that.

I got Chlollie vibes from Justice. I still remember watching the episode with my sister and commenting on it.

Season eight starts immediately with Lois talked about and treated as a super duper great bestest ever reporter!  

Which is quite jarring since season seven had her work constantly redlined and rejected, not to mention the sleeping with her editor and the show not even showing her getting published at all that year.  But like Ditsagirl said - it's like a different show, complete with new retconned backstory for Lois working from the ground up at the Planet.  Personally since I did watch everything that came before it only made me hate Lois more.  I will say her turn in season eight as a high heeled superhero made me feel rather justified in my hate.  (For Jimmy as well)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm the first to admit that I watched Smallville wrong on purpose, but if you skip S7 and just watch S8-S9-S10, it's like a completely different show. Almost no Lana [YAY!]; almost no Lex -- but I like Tess a 100 times better than Lex -- ymmv; almost no Smallville the town -- it's like a soft reboot to Metropolis. And there's A LOT of Justice League stuff, which is my very favorite part of Smallville.

When the show was live I skipped S8 & S9 completely -- I'd had it with Lana and Doomsday and the whole mess that seemingly ruined Chloe's life. (That wasn't my first time skipping seasons  -- I was also out for almost the entirety of S5 (and still can't bring myself to go back and watch Jensen Ackles in it), but I came back for Justin Hartley's OQ, and actually enjoyed Lois with him for that little bit.) So it was a little jarring to jump in for the final season and see that it was really a different show. But recently I've gone back and done some scant rewatching/first-time viewing of random S8/S9/S10 episodes, and it's not that bad. (Personal props to the Hangover-themed episode, because before my rewatch I vaguely remember not liking that episode and not finishing it -- but when I rewatched it I found that not only did remember most every scene, but I laughed alot and thought it was weirdly sweet! Must have been Smallville nostalgia.)

The bolded parts about Clark though -- HAH! I hadn't really thought about it, but I think I do agree with you to some extent.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure I mention this everytime Smallville is brought up, but everyone needs to listen to the Spell commentary. It's on YouTube. AM, KK and ED basically sound like this board. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Was it TWoP that started calling Clark the Big Dumb Alien, or did that come from somewhere else?  I know they came up with Magnificent Bastard for Lionel.

TWOP came up with both and I love both.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I assumed they wanted to show superhero diversity.

I wanted to take up that suggestion, because at least it doesn't make me mad. But in that case, what about, ya know, Spartan? And this isn't directed at you, but at the people who cut this.

• Love 5

I know. You would think DR, superhero, longstanding main core member of cast would be the obvious choice. I'm guessing they wanted new young and hip.

On The Flash side, you would think they would use their female lead. But nope. 

I miss the old WB promos were the whole casts got together for a dance party. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I miss the old WB promos were the whole casts got together for a dance party. 

Me TOO!! Those were the best. These new ones just aren't as much fun, and cause way too much drama as to who is in it, who is not, which shows got the most characters or screentime. I find it doesn't make me want to tune into any of the other shows I don't already watch, but rather makes me want o figure out if they bothered to get new footage or if I'm gonna see the same 3 sec of the actor they used in the last promo. I also hate the Dare to Defy motto, since most of the shows are pretty average. The CW defies expectations on a whole, but their programming is predictable.

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I assumed they wanted to show superhero diversity.

I guess older people, females and non-masks don't count towards the diversity meter :( Not directed at you, just the editors or whoever made the decision to cut out certain people.

• Love 7

Superhero Insider is a weekly radio podcast with Kyle Anderson and Natalie Abrams (go to article for audio link) - warning: spoilery (but not much new if you've been keeping up with spoilers)...

-- Natalie mentioned that she did an interview with Marc Guggenheim that will "go up next week."

Superhero Insider: Get caught up on Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow
NATALIE ABRAMS JANUARY 19, 2017 AT 5:11PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/19/superhero-insider-arrow-flash-legends-supergirl/

Every Thursday at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET on Sirius XM’s Ch. 105, fans can listen to Superhero Insider, where this reporter and EW Live’s Kyle Anderson break down the latest episodes of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends, as well as drop hints as to what’s coming up for the Emerald Archer, Scarlet Speedster, Girl of Steel, and the rag tag team of time travelers.

Edited by tv echo

After Suicide Squad's Creative Failure, Is DC Giving 'Gotham' And 'Arrow' More Leeway?
Paul Tassi   Jan. 17, 2017
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/01/17/after-suicide-squads-failure-is-dc-giving-gotham-and-arrow-more-leeway-now/#6a9ba2ed4d78

But now Jerome is back, at least for another few-episode arc. Gotham has crafted a new plotline where despite Jerome’s death, a cult is trying to resurrect his corpse Frankenstein-style so he can come back and wreak more havoc in Gotham.

I do not believe the timing of this is coincidental. I think that after the failure of Suicide Squad, that DC might be loosening the restrictions they’ve placed on DC TV in order for them to use some of their major characters once again. (Spoilers for DC TV shows follow)

To recap, in the run-up to Suicide Squad, DC went on a killing spree of TV characters that were about to appear in the film with A-list actors taking the roles. Arrow killed off both Deadshot and Amanda Waller (which were to be played by Will Smith and Viola Davis), Gotham killed off proto-Joker Jerome (with SS Joker being played Jared Leto). Later, it was confirmed that this was on orders from DC higher-ups, and that they’d even nixed a Harley Quinn/Arkham storyline that Arrow had been planning for some time (in favor of giving Margot Robbie’s Quinn center stage).

But now Suicide Squad has come and gone, and when I call it a failure, I suppose I should qualify that. The film is inarguably a creative failure, with a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, and only the most die-hard of DC fans counted among its supporters. Financially? Yes, it made several hundred million dollars, as most major comic book films are prone to do, but it’s clear this film, and all of DC’s films, would be making even more if they were you know, actually good.
While it’s possible Leto’s Joker may reappear in Harley Quinn’s rumored spin-off movie, it’s already been made clear that in Ben Affleck’s standalone Batman film, he will not be the villain, as that will be Joe Manganiello’s Deathstroke.
Arrow has already teased the return of Deadshot, a.k.a. Floyd Lawton, a few times, and it’s possible now that with no Suicide Squad sequel on the horizon, he may finally get to suit up and rejoin the cast in full. It is unlikely Amanda Waller would return given the circumstances of her demise (getting shot in the head point-blank), but I suppose anything is possible in the comic book world. But perhaps we might see the return of Captain Boomerang, a Suicide Squad character who wasn’t killed off, but has been buried all the same since SS brought the character to film, however minor his role was.
All of this is stupid, of course. The entire point of having separate TV and movie universes is that either should be free to use whatever characters they want at any time. The idea that a show like Arrow or Gotham and its 2-3 million weekly viewers would somehow diminish the prospects of a gigantic movie like Suicide Squad was ridiculous. Soon enough DC is going to makes its Flash movie, and the CW’s Flash is obviously the entire lynchpin of the Arrowverse at this point as its highest-rated show. Even if DC has been doing weird things, it’s not like they were going to cancel CW’s Flash to help WB’s Flash, so why are they bothering to nitpick with all these supporting characters if they’re inevitably going to have this major hero split between two actors?
Update: I stand corrected. Turns out Gotham showrunners are teasing the appearance of their own version of Harley Quinn who will show up at the end of this season. Maybe the full roster really is unlocked after all, which seems to prove my larger point about this recent shift.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Seven of DCTV’s finest will make be making beautiful music together this March.

The CW on Friday announced that the highly anticipated two-part musical crossover between Supergirl and The Flash will air Monday, March 20 (8/7c) and Tuesday, March 21 (8/7c). As with the network’s recent “Heroes v. Aliens” saga, the crossover will start at the end of Supergirl, saving most of the musical action for The Flash‘s portion of the event, appropriately titled “Duet.”

Dermott Downs has been tapped to direct the Flash half of the crossover. His previous DCTV credits include Supergirl‘s “For the Girl Who Has Everything” episode and The Flash‘s installment of the “Heroes v. Aliens” crossover.

As for which characters from the two shows will be chiming in, The CW also confirmed a few of those names: Grant Gustin (Barry Allen/The Flash), Melissa Benoist (Kara Zor-El/Supergirl), Jesse L. Martin (Joe West), Victor Garber (Dr. Stein), Carlos Valdes (Cisco Ramon), Jeremy Jordan (Winn Schott) and John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) will all sing. Supergirl‘s David Harewood (Hank Henshaw/J’onn J’onzz) and Chris Wood (Mon-El) will appear in “Duets,” but they’ll be doing so amelodcially.

RELATEDFlash Vet Teases (Improbable) Return: ‘Now I Can Say It: I’m Coming Back’

Of course, there’s still plenty we don’t know about the big event — including who will play the villainous Music Meister, though we have a few suggestions — so let’s talk in the comments below: What are our hopes for this potentially epic event?

http://tvline.com/2017/01/20/the-flash-supergirl-musical-crossover-spoilers-who-is-singing-full-list/

The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Update: Find Out Who's Singing

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

Kind of bummed Felicity/EBR won't appear in the episode. I know she's not a professional singer like Garber and Barrowman are but, it would have been nice to at least get Felicity geeking out over the events.

Ah well, not like I really watch either Flash or Supergirl.

BTW I really think they need to stop calling them 2 partners or 4 night crossovers when the only part of Supergirl that's involved is the final minute.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5