Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Mera was played by Elena Satine in Smallville (more recently, Satine guest starred as Judith Campbell on Timeless)...

Smallville - Patriot - Mera saves AC & Ollie
Uploaded on Nov 19, 2010, by Matt Armitage

Edited by tv echo

Im already failing to take Aquaman seriously which garunteed given DC movies since Nolan they will want me to take it as seriously as C Span. 

At this point I think id prefer the Vincent Chase Mandy Moore version of Aquaman from Entourage haha.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Mera was played by Elena Satine in Smallville (more recently, Satine guest starred as Judith Campbell on Timeless)...

She also had the worst Southern accent known to mankind on Revenge.

I can't be bothered to take take any reviewer's opinion on a show I watch seriously when they can't even get the name of a popular character right! It's Wally West, not Wally Well! ?

And the other guy just gets a multitude of ?????with him thinking there were any high stakes or that Arrow's  ? was this awesome milestone.

Finally, I've yet to see any live action version of Mera that I like. So far, the only one who is the standard for me is JLU's version.  Then again, she's from Bruce Timm, who really set the bar high.

Oh, and Geoff Johns can just SUCK IT.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

She was played by the worst actress known to mankind on Smallville, so I totes understand he wants to forget that version.

Also, the writing for her was turrible. She got all up in Lois's grill about her relationship with Clark after knowing her all of 2 minutes, iirc. Really strange dialogue. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LeighAn said:

At this point I think id prefer the Vincent Chase Mandy Moore version of Aquaman from Entourage haha.

Im still kinda upset they never made that into a real film cause I was gonna be all over it.

• Love 1

D'OH! I finally recognized the actor who played Rex Tyler. I loathed his character on Suits so much, I must have blanked out. That and he seemed to have put on some weight to play Hourman.

And as sucky as some of the costumes were on Smallville, that show did pave the way for the super hero shows CW has now.  And I actually like/prefer some of its special effects over the ones on Arrow, Flash. Sue me.

And since they nabbed at least two of Smallville alumni on Arrow, and at least one (who was really horrible) on Supergirl, I don't see why they won't try to get Rosenbaum to play Lex, who is eons a better actor. Or maybe I just answered my own question. Still, the hope is still there in a small corner of my heart.

Just now, Primal Slayer said:

Smallville could barely get Rosenabaum back to play Lex, let alone TheCW trying to get him back for a new universe. It would be great but nah, especially if it means a bald head. 

LALALALALAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't hearrrrrr youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I am still surprised and disappointed that they didn't get a true shot/picture of Tom Welling wearing a Superman suit. All we got was a shirt rip and a crappy cgi model.

I know that the original show runners said something about "No tights! No flights!" or maybe it was the other way around, and I'm not sure if that was a DC comics directive or not. That Clark couldn't fly unless he was wearing the suit, which is stupid, since in all other iterations, Clark could fly before he became Superman, and just watching him Blur, while we had Bizarro, Kara, etc., able to fly, but not Clark? was beyond STUPID. And if it wasn't a DC directive, then I don't see why the folks that took over after AlMiles left couldn't have changed it.

Yeah, I'm still bitter. Actually, this forum for Arrow makes me bittersweet, because it SO reminds me of the Smallville forum over on TWoP.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

Smallville has become like the forgotten middle child in terms of its place in the superhero CW genre history. Was there some big who ha about it being the longest running science fiction show or something? 

Also it was delivering the CW better ratings on Friday night in its 7, 8, 9, 10 season then what Flash Arrow and LOT are delivering now in there 3, 5, 2 seasons. 

It was cheese ball and had crater sized plot holes and selective amnesia writing up to the Wazoo and at one point had the problem of a big part of its audience finding the Villan more sympathetic and likeable then the hero... But always feel fondly towards Smallville.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Smallville has become like the forgotten middle child in terms of its place in the superhero CW genre history. Was there some big who ha about it being the longest running science fiction show or something? 

Also it was delivering the CW better ratings on Friday night in its 7, 8, 9, 10 season then what Flash Arrow and LOT are delivering now in there 3, 5, 2 seasons. 

It was cheese ball and had crater sized plot holes and selective amnesia writing up to the Wazoo and at one point had the problem of a big part of its audience finding the Villan more sympathetic and likeable then the hero... But always feel fondly towards Smallville.

Before Supernatural beat its record, yeah, Smallville was its longest running show. BUT, since Supernatural is not within the DC Superhero family, if you will, then by that definition, Smallville, so far, is the longest running Superhero show to date.

And for me, for the first three or four seasons, Lex was more sympathetic, but by season five through seven, after which he left, they got rid of all his characterization and layers and turned him into uber evul. Which made me hate Clark a little less than I was hating him for.

I can't totally hate it because, yes, I can be that shallow, it gave me the purty that is Tom Welling, John Schneider and Justin Hartley; not to mention a great Lex Luthor, who at the same time was playing Wally West/Flash, Dr. Polaris, and Deadshot on Justice League/Justice League Unlimited!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Still holding out hope that they can convince Welling to do a cameo/guest stint on Supergirl... someday.

And yep, Rosenbaum is still the best live-action Lex for me.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Trini said:

Still holding out hope that they can convince Welling to do a cameo/guest stint on Supergirl... someday.

And yep, Rosenbaum is still the best live-action Lex for me.

Welling can play Bizarro. Or another Earth's Superman. I don't care.  Word! about Rosenbaum's Lex. And he got to play animated Lex, too! in JLU's "The Great Brain Robbery" when his Wally's brain was zapped with Clancy Brown's Lex, and Rosenbaum voiced Lex for most of the episode. That episode is one of the funniest and best of that series.

• Love 1

Lex was all swivel-hipped charisma in the first three seasons of Smallville.  TWOP's Omar had the best recaps, and I loved how he made special note of the best eyesex between Clark and Lex every week.  

Why is Michael Rosenbaum not more famous?  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Lex was all swivel-hipped charisma in the first three seasons of Smallville.

WORD! And when he started becoming obsessed by Lana The Pink Pestilence, he was ruined.  See? Lana ruins EVERYTHING!

4 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Why is Michael Rosenbaum not more famous?  

I keep asking myself this as I am presently doing my annual marathon viewing of Smallville, after having watched JL, JLU...

• Love 1

Another fan here of Michael Rosenbaum's Lex. The best live-action version of Lex Luthor I've seen to this day. I wish he could play him again, in a movie or on television. I'll take him anywhere!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

All this talk of Lex reminds me of the terrible Lex in the Batman movie! He seemed like he was heavily/needed to be heavily medicated. 

Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor, on the other hand, was wacky and menacing at the same time!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Seriously if I was part of the non DC shows on the CW I would have some major resentment against the network at the care factor level or lack there of from the network 

To be fair, CW loves Supernatural because it's making them money without even trying anymore (syndication and stuff like that). Also IIRC, CW is very happy with The 100 performing on Netflix, in particular. Reign and Vampire Diaries are in their last seasons.

• Love 1

I don't think the 100 was treated that badly. They did get a panel last year. And they are going into the 4th season. I would have honestly thought the Originals might get a panel. But maybe they just gonna announce final season. 

I'm glad they're giving iZombie a panel since it's not back until April. April! (I miss iZombie.)  

Not surprised TVD isn't getting a panel since it's over in March. Not really surprised nothing for The Originals because that show is not going to last much longer. 

• Love 2

First i thought they gonna push LOT because of their new air time (also all these articles coming out that Flash and Arrow viewers should check LOT out). But i remember that they had the DCTV panel with EPs during summer TCAs. 

From what I've seen from critics I follow on Twitter, a lot of networks seem to be rather dramatically cutting their participation/activity in the Winter TCAs this year. Not sure why, but what The CW is doing seems pretty much in line with the other networks.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:39 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know that the original show runners said something about "No tights! No flights!" or maybe it was the other way around, and I'm not sure if that was a DC comics directive or not. That Clark couldn't fly unless he was wearing the suit, which is stupid, since in all other iterations, Clark could fly before he became Superman, and just watching him Blur, while we had Bizarro, Kara, etc., able to fly, but not Clark? was beyond STUPID. And if it wasn't a DC directive, then I don't see why the folks that took over after AlMiles left couldn't have changed it.

Yeah, I'm still bitter. Actually, this forum for Arrow makes me bittersweet, because it SO reminds me of the Smallville forum over on TWoP.

I also remember hearing that Tom Welling at one time at least had it in his contract (or was made promises at least) that he'd never have to wear tights.  A lot "credited" him with why they didn't do the suit.  I think it might have had more to do with saving a penny and not making him a suit just for one episode.  The one they handed him was from Superman Returns and absolutely wouldn't have fit him.  

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"How is Rosenbaum not more famous?"

I keep asking myself this as I am presently doing my annual marathon viewing of Smallville, after having watched JL, JLU...

I've been loving him on his comedy Impastor but it's everyone's cup of tea.  When he's doing comedy I don't even see Lex anymore.  Mores the pity.  

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I also remember hearing that Tom Welling at one time at least had it in his contract (or was made promises at least) that he'd never have to wear tights.  A lot "credited" him with why they didn't do the suit.  I think it might have had more to do with saving a penny and not making him a suit just for one episode.  The one they handed him was from Superman Returns and absolutely wouldn't have fit him.  

I've been loving him on his comedy Impastor but it's everyone's cup of tea.  When he's doing comedy I don't even see Lex anymore.  Mores the pity.  

Really? I know that he said he said that initially he didn't want to do the show because he didn't want to do a Superboy show.  But then he read the script and was all in. That thing about him not wearing the suit is in one of the interviews on the dvds, as is Tom talking about not wanting to play Superboy.

In hindsight he should have worn the suit because he just looked ridiculous gelling his hair and wearing that maroon pleather jacket and "blurring" everywhere.  But that's just me.

I'll watch Rosenbaum in anything-even that ridiculous movie he did where he's in a fraternity and had to dress in drag!???

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Really? I know that he said he said that initially he didn't want to do the show because he didn't want to do a Superboy show.  But then he read the script and was all in. That thing about him not wearing the suit is in one of the interviews on the dvds, as is Tom talking about not wanting to play Superboy.

Ha!  This is probably where the rumor got started.  

If each show is getting their own promo like during 2015 i would think the panels will be separate. In 2015 the first announcement made it sound like its a joint panel but at the end we got separate panels. 

And if its a joint panel i am expecting the people who got the most screentime during crossovers: SA/EBR/DR (maybe Willa), GG, CP, CV, DP, CL, BR and maybe VG. 

The group is not much larger than the Arrow solo panel at Paley in 2015.  And we had Colton there trolling about his SL in s4 when he already got his goodbye. 

Edited by Velocity23

I was watching the opening credits for Justice League Action, that newish show on the Cartoon Network and noticed that Mr. Terrific was third hero to be shown, right behind Wonder Woman and Superman.  Suddenly, I'm looking at the inclusion of Curtis on Arrow last year in a different light.  I wonder just who suggested his inclusion now.  Not like I'd EVER heard of him before.  

[FYI, the rest of the hero line up goes: dude in a flying cab I don't recognize, Hawkman, Firestorm, Star Girl, Green Arrow (complete with Van Dike and no sleeves) Plastic Man (I feel we are safe from seeing him on Arrow at least) and finally in the spot of honor at the end, Batman.]