Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I only quoted portions, so you may wish to read the entire articles...

Legends of Tomorrow: Can the Legion of Doom really work together?
NATALIE ABRAMS JANUARY 23, 2017 AT 5:24PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/23/legends-tomorrow-legion-doom-spoilers/

What is the Legion’s ultimate goal in rewriting history?
Obviously, the bad guys want it because it’s a powerful thing. As we get into the back half of the season, you get into the pathos psychology of why each of our members of the Legion of Doom wants it, because it’s just boring if bad guys just want the Spear of Destiny just to be bad with. We dig out the personal reasons why Malcolm Merlyn, Eobard Thawne, and Damien Darhk each want it. They’re bad guys, but they’re also human beings.

What is motivating Malcolm?
Malcolm’s a guy who has enormous regret over the mistakes he made, like the crashing of the Queen’s Gambit, which led to the show Arrow, but also the estrangement of his child, the death of his wife, etc.

How about for Darhk?
The Damien Darhk who we have on our show, who was plucked out of the ’80s, has been told by Thawne, “Hey man, your future sucks, you die at the end of Arrow season 4, so you need me if you want to fix that.”
Might Snart try to recruit Mick (Dominic Purcell) for the Legion? What can you tease of that push and pull between them now?
For Rory, that’s really interesting, because his loyalty transcends good and bad. He’s Snart’s partner. The one constant in his life is that they have each other’s backs. When he returns to our show, it’s most interesting for Rory, because it sets him up for a big backslide. Rory is so vociferous about, “I’m not a hero, I’m never going to change,” but I think his arc with Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) this season is pretty poignant, especially in the last episode you guys saw. She’s gotten under his skin. It’s not a romantic thing, but there’s a real Beauty and the Beast vibe that those two characters have. So when Snart comes back, it’s really a question of, “Who is Rory? Has he really made progress? Or is he going to slip into his old ways?”

The Flash: Can Barry save Iris?
NATALIE ABRAMS  JANUARY 23, 2017 AT 2:56PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/23/flash-save-iris-spoilers/

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What can you tease of Barry’s struggle to prevent this future and how it might make him spiral? 
AARON HELBING:
The reality is that Barry is going to do whatever it takes to prevent Savitar from killing Iris, so that single event is going to serve as the thrust for the rest of the season. It’s going to be an event that they’ll continue to revisit and try to learn as much as they can so that they can stop Savitar.

Will trying so hard to fix this cause a divide in his relationship with Iris?
No, it’ll bring them closer together.
How is Iris dealing with knowing she’s going to die?
In the beginning, when she first finds out, she’s devastated. She just moved in with Barry, she’s madly in love with him, she has all of these friends, she has a career that she wants to continue to build, so in the beginning, she’s devastated, but because she’s given a ticking time clock and she knows exactly when her expiration date is, so to speak, that emboldens her to go, “You know what? There’s a lot of things that I still want to accomplish. I know when I’m going to die, so I’m not going to die before then.” That’s going to cause her to put herself at risk further down the line in pursuit of her journalism.
Everyone assumes that Caitlin’s gone dark in the vision of the future, but Cisco (Carlos Valdes) seems like he’s on the path to going dark as well. What can you tease for what’s next for him?
We’re going to see Cisco really realize what he can do. After seeing Gypsy (Jessica Camacho)— Gypsy is a very formidable adversary, and he never realized the extent of his powers, and because of seeing Gypsy, he’s going to become more and more in tune with his powers and what he can do, whether it’s crossing dimensions or opening breaches much faster and quicker. He’s going to be building confidence, and that’ll definitely play into the rest of the season of helping Barry and the team stop Savitar from killing Iris.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some Arrow and Flash references in this Supergirl review (warning: spoilers for "Supergirl Lives" episode)...

‘Supergirl’ Recap: Kevin Smith and Daughter Make a Good Episode Great
Robert Chan   January 24, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/supergirl-recap-kevin-smith-and-daughter-make-a-good-episode-great-130111169.html

On the one hand, Mon-el is perfect and if this were the dynamic for the rest of the series — Kara being a hero, Mon-el being a cowardly sidekick dragged along on adventures — that would be amazing. Her earnestness could use a dash of cynicism in the same way that Felicity’s snarkiness lightens Oliver’s dourness over on Arrow. His decision to be a bartender is the perfect job to convey his complete lack of ambition and that relationship could believably be sustained for multiple seasons.
One of the show’s most endearing traits is the lightness of its romantic subplots. Where Arrow‘s couples are filled with angst and Flash‘s are filled with tragedy, Supergirl is filled with effervescent kisses between Alex and Maggie and Mon-el timidly snuggling under a blanket with Kara. It’s not all sunshine and morning after pancakes — Alex’s guilt at being happy and Maggie’s defensiveness will probably be a continuing threat to their happiness — but it’s something that sets it apart from pretty much every other comic book property out there, TV or movie.

Edited by tv echo
23 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I think he's a good fit.  The Music Meister is barely menacing anyway.  Having him cheerfully manipulate everyone while he pulls off his plan is all that's needed.  

• Love 2

Supergirl didn't have a big cliffhanger right? Because of the crossover?

If anyone is getting a boost I can see it being Flash, just because its The Flash.

Super curious about Arrow now.

No, there was no cliffhanger.

The last two episodes before the crossover got a 0.7 and 0.9 so this comes in right about where they were before.  

I'm curious to see whether LoT gets any boost at all from its new time slot.  I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be nice (even though it's already renewed).

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

No, there was no cliffhanger.

The last two episodes before the crossover got a 0.7 and 0.9 so this comes in right about where they were before.  

I'm curious to see whether LoT gets any boost at all from its new time slot.  I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be nice (even though it's already renewed).

LOT is going up against This is US so I am not sure this new time slot helps them much.

• Love 2

Fox has made it official, handing its first drama pilot order of the season to an X-Men-themed Marvel action-adventure drama from Burn Notice creator Matt Nix, 20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television.

The project, which is untitled, had been a standout. Early versions of the script by Nix had been received enthusiastically at Fox as well as the producing studios, with a formal pilot green light contingent upon delivery of the final draft. Exploratory casting already had been underway, with the process expected to ramp up now that there is an official green light.

The drama, which had a put pilot commitment, focuses on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. The show appears particularly timely, dealing with the plight of minorities in society where there may not be enough tolerance for them.

Nix exec produced with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg, key auspices of the X-Men feature franchise, as well as Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory

X-Men Family Drama Receives Pilot Order at FOX

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/01/x-men-family-drama-receives-pilot-order.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Love 2

I like the family angle of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

FOX has screwed up the X-Men too much for me to ever given them an up front shot. This is most definitely a wait and see what the reviews/game say.

6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I like the family angle of the pitch.

But it's not X Men or will have anything to do with X Men. Like that mess Legion, Fox thinks they can call any show they churn out now with people who have abilities an X Men show. I doubt any characters from X Men comics will appear in this mess.

41 minutes ago, Proteus said:

But it's not X Men or will have anything to do with X Men. Like that mess Legion, Fox thinks they can call any show they churn out now with people who have abilities an X Men show. I doubt any characters from X Men comics will appear in this mess.

So Legion is supposed be connected to X Men?  I've wondered about that.  

I think that selling it as part of X Men could be problematic if there are no recognizable characters, it really would make the connection kind of misleading, but I also get how X Men is being used as a kind of shorthand to explain the premise and I like the premise and I am open to them creating new characters so that the show is free to use them freely.  

When it comes to the show Legion, I've not had my interest peaked enough to actually look it up.  From the promos, I can't really tell what it's supposed to be about, but the main guy already bugs me.  

41 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I thought Legion didn't start airing until February?

It doesn't but the promos have been coming for weeks already.  

The main character is X Men leader Charles Xavier's son. From all TPTBs interviews, they are doing a lot of double talk. They say it's an X Men show, but isn't connected to the movies and will have no X Men characters appearing in the show. I feel it's manipulative to say this is Xavier's son when they have no intention  or probably legal rights to ever use Xavier likely.

8:00 p.m.
ABC – “The Middle” (R): 2.8/ 5 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS”: 10.2/16 (#1)
NBC – “The Wall”: 3.7/ 6 (#2)
Fox – “New Girl”: 1.8/ 3 (#5)
CW – “The Flash”: 2.0/ 3 (#4)

8:30 p.m.
ABC – “American Housewife” (R): 2.2/ 3 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS”: 10.5/16 (#1)
NBC – “The Wall”: 4.0/ 6 (#2)
Fox – “The Mick:: 2.0/ 3 (#4)
CW – “The Flash”: 1.8/ 3 (#5)

9:00 p.m.
ABC – “Fresh Off the Boat” (R): 1.8/ 3 (#4)
CBS – “Bull”: 7.4/12 (#1)
NBC – “This Is Us”: 6.4/10 (#2)
Fox – “Bones”: 2.0/ 3 (#3)
CW – “D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow” (time period premiere): 1.3/ 2 (#5)

9:30 p.m.
ABC – “The Real O’Neals (R): 1.4/ 2 (#4)
CBS – “Bull”: 7.2/11 (#1)
NBC – “This Is Us”: 6.3/10 (#2)
Fox – “Bones”: 2.0/ 3 (#4)
CW – “D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow” (time period premiere): 1.2/ 2 (#5)

The HH numbers for Flash and LOT are lower than expected honestly. Unless these numbers are deceiving. 

For their last episode they got the following HH numbers. 

- Flash (2.3/2.2)

-LOT (1.6/1.4)

A 0.6 is lower than I hoped for, but it's in line with what they've done most of the season.  Other than the crossover, they've pulled 0.6s and 0.7s all season.  

Flash is the bigger surprise I would think.  That's a 0.3 drop from their MSF,  and a new series low if it doesn't adjust up (which it certainly might).

3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Yeah... Going up against This is Us was always going to be tough. 

Well, they were against BBT in the fall, and GA, and football.  I'm not sure the new timeslot is that much more competitive.  

4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Well, they were against BBT in the fall, and GA, and football.  I'm not sure the new timeslot is that much more competitive.  

You're right. The fact that the new timeslot isn't as competitive doesn't really bode well for LoT. 

Maybe people just didn't know that LoT was airing at a new timeslot? IDK

• Love 1
Just now, wonderwall said:

You're right. The fact that the new timeslot isn't as competitive doesn't really bode well for LoT. 

I mean, yeah, it might not be the boost they (and I) were hoping for, but it also came back in line with its fall performance (assuming it doesn't adjust down) so it brought its regular audience with it.  It's a big improvement over the 0.2 No Tomorrow was getting in that timeslot.  And it's already been renewed, so...*shrugs*

12 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I mean, yeah, it might not be the boost they (and I) were hoping for, but it also came back in line with its fall performance (assuming it doesn't adjust down) so it brought its regular audience with it.  It's a big improvement over the 0.2 No Tomorrow was getting in that timeslot.  And it's already been renewed, so...*shrugs*

For some reason I've been thinking that LoT would get the benefit of its time slot more over time.  Right now Flash viewers are used to tuning out when it's over.  For me when I've started watching a show that I hadn't previously, it's always been after repeated exposure to the "previously on" recaps that start playing before I switch to something new.  Then one day, I find myself not changing the channel.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I don't think there's any reason LOT fans need to worry. 

• Love 1
Just now, Proteus said:

I didn't say they should worry. Just that it isn't really a good thing (it's not a bad thing either). It seems like LoT is in a better timeslot (after Flash, not going against football/TBBT) and it still isn't performing any better. 

I guess maybe it's because Flash under-performed too? Maybe viewers didn't know it was back... Or maybe people are just losing interest. IDK

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Yeah, it already has season three and even though the numbers are low by normal standards, it's still one of the higher rated shows on The CW, lol.  

5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I guess maybe it's because Flash under-performed too? Maybe viewers didn't know it was back... Or maybe people are just losing interest. IDK

I guess I'm not following you on this.  If it's retaining its audience from its former timeslot, what about that says people are losing interest?  Sorry - I'm just confused.

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I thought the people losing interest comment was about The Flash's audience not returning.

Ohhhhhh! That makes more sense.  I'm being dense this morning - sorry! *facepalm*

Yes, the Flash numbers are weird, even if it adjusts up.  Wasn't baseball the excuse for the low ratings in the fall?  So what caused this drop I wonder?

Edited by Starfish35

Yeah, really. I think with audience viewing habits these days, people just can't stand hiatuses and breaks, etc. They ought to plan the big attention getting episodes for after the breaks.

• Love 3