Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I have an embarrassing love for Superman and Batman the animated series. Haha 

Why should it be embarrassing? Mine is an obsessive and proud love! I'll also throw in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited ❤?❤???❤?❤

• Love 4
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Which ones are they?

Hubby would like to know. He's  currently almost finished Young Justice season 2.

Batman: The Animated Series that's the title and sadly and WRONGLY, the only one not available on Netflix or Amazon or any streaming. I have the entire series-4 seasons though the fourth season was originally part of the new adventures of Superman/Batman and the animation was changed to match up with...

Superman:The Animated Series which was more modern. Bats had the 40's look to it. S:TAS is also not available. Just JL/JLU.

• Love 2

Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series are both available on Amazon Prime.  That's how I watched them a few months ago.  I just checked to make sure they hadn't been removed and they're still there.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series are both available on Amazon Prime.  That's how I watched them a few months ago.  I just checked to make sure they hadn't been removed and they're still there.  

AWESOME! I stand corrected!

I loved all of Bruce Timm's DCAU so much that I bought them as soon as they were available! Despite that yucky, nearly incestuous thing he did in Batman Beyond and The Killing Joke.

I've ranted and bitched about that back on TWoP and the B:TAS forum on this site, as @BkWurm1 can attest.? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Batman Beyond is not available on Prime - that one I have not seen.

It used to be on Netflix years ago. Not sure if it still is. It's set 50 years in the future and  Bruce is a crotchety 80 years old, but Kevin Conroy makes him awesome and makes Terry look like a kid playing dress up. I loathe the retcon and iteration of Babs and the hypocrisy.??

Not that I'm biased or anything!??

• Love 1

I will say, @Mellowyellow, that just be warned, if you're jumping from Young Justice back to Batman: The Animated Series, as I did, the older style will probably take some getting used to.  It's not that it's not a good show - it is.  But Young Justice has a far more modern feel, and B:TAS feels very retro.  It's an odd mix of old fashioned looking cars and clothes, and modern tech such as cell phones (modern for 90s anyway).  It took me awhile to adjust to it.  But it is the first in the DCAU continuity if I understand correctly, and while you don't have to watch them in order (I didn't; I watched JL/JLU first, then B:TAS and S:TAS, then JL/JLU again - lol), there are things in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited that will mean more if you watch the other two first.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It used to be on Netflix years ago. Not sure if it still is. It's set 50 years in the future and  Bruce is a crotchety 80 years old, but Kevin Conroy makes him awesome and makes Terry look like a kid playing dress up. I loathe the retcon and iteration of Babs and the hypocrisy.??

Not that I'm biased or anything!??

No, it's not there anymore, at least in the U.S.  Just checked.  They have a show called The Batman, but I'm not sure what that is.  They also have the Son of Batman movie, the JL/JLU series, and a couple other animated movies; Justice League War and the Flashpoint movie.

8 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

No, it's not there anymore, at least in the U.S.  Just checked.  They have a show called The Batman, but I'm not sure what that is.  They also have the Son of Batman movie, the JL/JLU series, and a couple other animated movies; Justice League War and the Flashpoint movie.

UGH. The Batman was a show supposedly before B:TAS -kind of like Year One, but the animation is horrible; Babs is introduced first, then Dick, and suddenly you've got members of the Justice League. No continuity with Timm's DCAU. I always called it the Jackie Chan Batman, because that's what Bruce/Bats looked like. No surprise considering the people who made the Jackie Chan cartoon also did this show! And by the halfway point of the series, you had the folks from Timm's team on it. They even used the same voice actors for Lex, Lois and Supes! Oops, Except Supes was by Newbern from JL/JLU.

What irked me was how they portrayed Bats as the Leader and the one who created the JL in this universe and had Superman!! as the Loner and who preferred doing things all by himself and wasn't inclined to be part of a team.????

Bats is my favorite, but even I was ????at that bit of "flipping the switch" if you will, because it's not in character!

Damn. This shit still bugs me after all these years!

And I loved the retro look to B:TAS and hated the stylized look it got in the last season, along with changing the look of the villains and Batgirl, and Dick. Not to mention the retcon of Dick and Bruce's relationship and turning Bats into a raging unfeeling asshole, removing the wonderful characteristics from the first three seasons.

Yeah, still angry and bitter.

9 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Starfish35 Ooh thanks for the warning. 

Are JL and JLU modern?

I'm a bit wary about the very old style.

We've seen most of the individual animation movies and really enjoyed them. I especially liked the one with Damien Wayne and Raven.

Yes, they are modern. The retro look isn't that bad! You can see more care and detail went into the animation.

okay, I admit, I'm biased, but it was purposely made this way to give it a noir feel.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. The Batman was a show supposedly before B:TAS -kind of like Year One, but the animation is horrible; Babs is introduced first, then Dick, and suddenly you've got members of the Justice League. No continuity with Timm's DCAU. I always called it the Jackie Chan Batman, because that's what Bruce/Bats looked like. No surprise considering the people who made the Jackie Chan cartoon also did this show! And by the halfway point of the series, you had the folks from Timm's team on it. They even used the same voice actors for Lex, Lois and Supes! Oops, Except Supes was by Newbern from JL/JLU.

What irked me was how they portrayed Bats as the Leader and the one who created the JL in this universe and had Superman!! as the Loner and who preferred doing things all by himself and wasn't inclined to be part of a team.????

Bats is my favorite, but even I was ????at that bit of "flipping the switch" if you will, because it's not in character!

Damn. This shit still bugs me after all these years!

Lol.  I think I'll give it a pass then. 

And I loved the retro look to B:TAS and hated the stylized look it got in the last season, along with changing the look of the villains and Batgirl, and Dick. Not to mention the retcon of Dick and Bruce's relationship and turning Bats into a raging unfeeling asshole, removing the wonderful characteristics from the first three seasons.

Yeah, still angry and bitter.

No, I agree with that actually.  The different look for several of the characters really bugged me, and the retcon on Catwoman's character as well.  (And I hated the mullet on Nightwing.)

In thinking about it more, I think it was more the storytelling style than the visual style. YJ was very serialized, and B:TAS is not really at all.  It's a very old-fashioned episodic storytelling style, if that makes any sense, and that was an adjustment.

Ugh. I thought I was editing the other post, not posting again.  I should go to bed.  Lol. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

Lol.  I think I'll give it a pass then. 

You're not missing anything!

2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

No, I agree with that actually.  The different look for several of the characters really bugged me, and the retcon on Catwoman's character as well.  (And I hated the mullet on Nightwing.)

In thinking about it more, I think it was more the storytelling style than the visual style. YJ was very serialized, and B:TAS is not really at all.  It's a very old-fashioned episodic storytelling style, if that makes any sense, and that was an adjustment.

Gah, that mullet was the worst! And I hated, loathed, detested how they cut Selina's height in half, and her whole look. pasty, white, no more pupils, goth. UGH. Not that I don't like goth, but that just wasn't her. Or the "reason" why things would never have worked out between them.

Timm and Dini said in the season one interview, that B:TAS episodes were like mini-movies. Didn't matter which order you watched, you could watch them over and over again. And it's true. Because I do it. A LOT, heh. Plus the music and score! Shirley Walker, may she rest in peace, was AWESOME.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

and finally in the spot of honor at the end, Batman.]

And WELL DESERVED. He's the BEST thing about this show right now. As another poster stated in the show's thread:

On 1/1/2017 at 11:52 AM, spaulding said:

And Batman continues to be the alpha male among alpha males.  He owned that episode.  If he existed in real life, panties would be dropping left and right (sorrynotsorry).  :)

The episode being referenced is "Shazam Slam!" which was the premiere.

• Love 1

And I hated, loathed, detested how they cut Selina's height in half, and her whole look. pasty, white, no more pupils, goth. UGH. Not that I don't like goth, but that just wasn't her. Or the "reason" why things would never have worked out between them.

Yeah I was really annoyed by what they did with Selina. 

I actually think I enjoyed S:TAS more than B:TAS, though.  (I know, heresy!) I just really enjoyed that take on his character, and Tim Daly's voice was perfect.  One of my favorite episodes was when he had to go to Gotham to pretend to be Batman and teamed up with Tim.  I love that episode. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I was really annoyed by what they did with Selina. 

I actually think I enjoyed S:TAS more than B:TAS, though.  (I know, heresy!) I just really enjoyed that take on his character, and Tim Daly's voice was perfect.  One of my favorite episodes was when he had to go to Gotham to pretend to be Batman and teamed up with Tim.  I love that episode. :)

I love them both, but I preferred B:TAS because well, it's Bats. And I tend to rewatch this more than the other. And yeah, "Knight Time" is awesome! That was from the last season, and a number of my friends who also watched, feel this episode and "The Demon Reborn" with the return of Ra's, should have been on the B:TAS dvds, instead of S:TAS.

I loved the uniform's question to Gordon: "Does he look...bigger to you?"

There are so many wonderful quotes from that one. From Robin sticking out his tongue and saying "ugh" about aliens, and Supes in a very dry tone saying, "I'm deeply hurt." Tim Daly will always be Animated Supes for me, no offense to George Newbern who also did a good job. Daly just wasn't available to reprise his role when JL/JLU came about.

I could go on and on, but then I'd derail this thread, so I'll just shut up now.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love them both, but I preferred B:TAS because well, it's Bats. And I tend to rewatch this more than the other. And yeah, "Knight Time" is awesome! That was from the last season, and a number of my friends who also watched, feel this episode and "The Demon Reborn" with the return of Ra's, should have been on the B:TAS dvds, instead of S:TAS.

I loved the uniform's question to Gordon: "Does he look...bigger to you?"

There are so many wonderful quotes from that one. From Robin saying sticking out his tongue and saying "ugh" about aliens, and Supes in a very dry tone saying, "I'm deeply hurt." Tim Daly will always be Animated Supes for me, no offense to George Newbern who also did a good job. Daly just wasn't available to reprise his role when JL/JLU came about.

I could go on and on, but then I'd derail this thread, so I'll just shut up now.

I loved that. :)  And Tim prompting him through their meeting with Gordon ("Bane", "other side"), or him freaking Tim out by imitating his voice. :)  I just really love this version of Superman, with the sense of humor. :)  Ok, I have to go to bed - I have to be up in a few hours. *facepalm*

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I loved that. :)  And Tim prompting him through their meeting with Gordon ("Bane", "other side"), or him freaking Tim out by imitating his voice. :)  I just really love this version of Superman, with the sense of humor. :)  Ok, I have to go to bed - I have to be up in a few hours. *facepalm*

It was actually "right side."

"Plus I have precises muscle control" Supes in Tim's voice.

Tim: "Don't do that again." trying to be all menacing.

Why no, I don't have the lines of dialogue memorized at all!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Here's PaleyFest source link (looks like one joint panel at 2:00 pm on Mar. 18)...
https://media.paleycenter.org/paleyfest-la-2017-lineup/ 

Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends joining forces at PaleyFest 2017
DEREK LAWRENCE JANUARY 7, 2017 AT 9:00AM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/07/paleyfest-2017-arrow-flash-supergirl-walking-dead/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow are set for a joint panel on March 18, The Paley Center for Media announced Saturday. Stars from the four series previously came together in October for EW’s PopFest.

Also, MG responded to fan question about who's attending PaleyFest for Arrow...

Edited by tv echo
8 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Warning: spoilers (papp blog and pics)...

Supergirl films scenes for episode 213 with Melissa Benoist and guest star Peter Gadiot as Mr. Mxyzptlk in downtown Vancouver
Canadagraphs  1/7/2017
http://canadagraphs.weebly.com/supergirl-blogs/supergirl-films-scenes-for-episode-213-with-melissa-benoist-and-guest-star-peter-gadiot-as-mr-mxyzptlk-in-downtown-vancouver

Edited by tv echo

Spoilers for Supergirl and Agents of SHIELD (I also quoted the Prison Break spoiler because - Wentworth Miller!)....

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Originals, Scandal, Prison Break and more
NATALIE ABRAMS JANUARY 6, 2017 AT 1:31PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/06/spoiler-room-originals-scandal-prison-break/

Why is Michael in prison in the Middle East on the new Prison Break? — Peter
Exactly why he landed behind bars will be unveiled over the course of the revival, but it plays into Prison Break pulling from the Odyssey in its new story. “I wanted Michael to show up in the most unexpected and distant and foreboding place,” EP Paul Scheuring says. “The deepest, darkest part of the Middle Eastern struggle might be that. It raises the question: How the hell of all places did he end up there? Doing honor to the Odyssey, one of the big components of the season was Odysseus went through hell, he went across half the globe to get home. That’s what I wanted to do with Michael. It’s not just a matter of getting out of prison or getting out of a country, but it was traversing half the globe to get back to his wife and the son he hasn’t seen before, to really play that Odyssey feel as opposed to just getting out of a prison in the United States and getting back to them.”
Since J’onn is no longer turning into a White Martian, what’s next for him on Supergirl? — Lyle
After his near-transformation, J’onn will have a new lease on life, particularly when it comes to Miss Martian. “His relationship with M’gann is an important one over this next batch of episodes,” EP Andrew Kreisberg tells me. “There is some really great stuff for David [Harewood] and Sharon [Leal] that we are really excited about. We love Sharon’s performance and we love seeing David and Sharon together, it’s some of our favorite stuff this season. We’ve been really lucky with our romantic pairings this season and we really think that J’onn and M’gann have a great storyline coming up.”

New scoop about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? — Caddie
Director Mace’s true agenda will start to be unveiled as we discover what’s really going on with him in the upcoming episodes. “There’s a general question with him in terms of being all about trust,” EP Jed Whedon says. “‘The team that trusts is the team that triumphs!’ A guy who is always saying that who is new and that smiley who has a secret, it’s hard to trust him. Even in episode 8, he started asking questions about the Darkhold. I don’t think it’s totally clear where he stands.”

Edited by tv echo

I will say there is an episode of the Batman that takes place in the future where they show flashbacks to the past and Barbara has taken on the identity of Oracle.  That was a pretty good episode.   But otherwise,  no,  not missing anything at all. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Wow Supernatural just keeps on chugging along lol. So happy for Crazy Ex and JTV fans. I knew Arrow and The Flash would likely be renewed obvi lol but stoked for more Supergirl and Legends!!

• Love 2

While they are doing more shows with shorter runs, Pedowitz says he feels the DC shows lend themselves to 22-23 episode seasons. #TCA17

Interesting.  I wonder if that means LoT will get a full season order for season three?

It's a way early renewal announcement, but most of them were a lock to be renewed anyway, save CEG.  I admit I had some fears about LoT, but I know I shouldn't have, based on its numbers.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Seems there will be no Superman spin-off

“Tyler did a great job,” he said following his panel at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Sunday. “There’s no plan to do a series. There are no plans at the moment for him to return [to Supergirl]. If they wish to have him return, we’d love to have him.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/08/cw-possible-superman-spinoff/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 1

I knew that all the DC shows would be renewed, LOT included. The CW tends to renew most of their shows, so there was only CEG that I thought might have been cancelled. 

I figured that they would want to keep LOT around for a bit longer to utilize the crossover aspect. It does raise the ratings for all the shows involved, so I figre they'll keep LOT around for a bit longer. Plus it has less episodes to produce than the regular DC show, even if it is a bit more expensive. 

If they want to bring on a couple of new shows next season (even with shorter seasons), though, I imagine they'll cancel The Originals and one other show. Hopefully it's not iZombie. I almost forgot about their two new shows that didn't do well. I imagine those two will be cancelled.  

1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

Oh, thank god. That was the one major worry I had; I like Tyler and I liked how he was used on Supergirl overall. However, the one thing I don't want is a spinoff with him. I don't need another male-heavy DC show. Also, the last thing I want is another Superman show or film. Like Spiderman, I'm sick and tired of all the adaptations over the last decade or so. I don't mind if Superman comes back on Supergirl, but I don't need his own show. I like that he's used minimally and doesn't take away from Supergirl. It's nice, because of all the problems that Supergirl has with its new characters and them taking over Kara's screen time, Superman wasn't the one to save the day over Supergirl. She got to save the day and be in the front and center, even with her cousin helping out. Hopefully they continue to use him that way when he eventually returns, which I can see them holding off until next season. 

• Love 2

They have 2 open slots since No Tomorrow/Frequency will 99% be cancelled but I have a feeling that iZombie will be making its move to Fridays next season. CEx-Gf will probably get a 12/13 episode order for first half of the season for Fridays while iZombie gets the 2nd half of the year. Of course depending on how ratings are this season and what shows they pick up. 

Hopefully Archie does good so we can get a Sabrina spin off.

I KNEW the Music Meister would be the villain for the musical! Remember, I said I'd be shocked if it wasn't him!

Sometimes things are obvious for a reason. If they insisted on doing a musical, it only makes sense for it to be because of him.

Maybe they have some BTS deals with DC that allows them to renew the shows. Or maybe there are deals in place with a streaming service, the CW and DC that allows the shows to stay on the air even with less then stellar ratings. 

At this point I believe that DC wants the TV shows to be a positive thing on people's radar instead of a negative.