Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Brushes with Celebrity

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Considering that Ed O'Neill was drafted by the Steelers in the '70s, I have to wonder if Terry Bradshaw is a friend (or at least acquaintance) of his from way back.

Probably not. Here's a clip of him talking about his training camp experience and he mentions a few players he did meet there

• Love 2

I wasn't expecting to like Chris Martin, but his completely self depricating appearance was rather enjoyable and definitely the most energetic parts of the episode. The earnestness he played the story with was great. 

"That way people will know you have two shirts" 

The other plots were pretty middling but I did like seeing Cam and Mitch acting like a couple and having each other's backs. Though they should have been smart enough to recognize there was no camera crew and they hadn't signed a release going into the store. They can't be gullible enough to take reality tv at face value, right? 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

I wasn't expecting to like Chris Martin, but his completely self depricating appearance was rather enjoyable and definitely the most energetic parts of the episode. The earnestness he played the story with was great. 

"That way people will know you have two shirts"

I laughed out loud at that line!

26 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

The other plots were pretty middling but I did like seeing Cam and Mitch acting like a couple and having each other's backs. Though they should have been smart enough to recognize there was no camera crew and they hadn't signed a release going into the store. They can't be gullible enough to take reality tv at face value, right? 

I would assume for a show like that, the cameras would be hidden and the release would be signed after the "tap on the shoulder" moment. 

• Love 8

I actually thought Chris Martin was pretty funny. He was so earnest, and he seemed to be having a lot of fun poking fun at himself. 

8 hours ago, bkathi said:

Loved Joe saying that he saw Santa at the mall - a true celebrity sighting!

That was so cute! I was pretty iffy on Joe at first, but the actor really is adorable without being overly precocious. 

• Love 15
9 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I laughed out loud at that line!

I would assume for a show like that, the cameras would be hidden and the release would be signed after the "tap on the shoulder" moment. 

Another problem was when he told them how long he had been off the show and they were surprised by this. If they were so top notch fans, they would have known about it. However, I agree that was the best they have been in years. Poor Billy Crystal, Manny and Gloria had no idea who he was. 

• Love 5

I was pleasantly surprised by the episode. Chris Martin was actually funny, and Mitch and Cam weren't complete assholes to each other for a change.

I only recognized Billy Crystal towards the end of his appearance. Wow.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Considering that Ed O'Neill was drafted by the Steelers in the '70s, I have to wonder if Terry Bradshaw is a friend (or at least acquaintance) of his from way back.

I was wondering about a connection. TB was on EO's show Married with Children. 

• Love 3

For me, most shows officially jump the shark when they resort to bringing celebrities on or rely on other gimmicks to cover up poor storylines and bad writing. That said, I thought Chris Martin was a fun addition to the episode (my now-grown son was a rabid Coldplay fan when he was in high school and consequently I harbor more Coldplay trivia than any 55-year old woman needs to know).

• Love 10
2 hours ago, readster said:

Another problem was when he told them how long he had been off the show and they were surprised by this. If they were so top notch fans, they would have known about it. However, I agree that was the best they have been in years. Poor Billy Crystal, Manny and Gloria had no idea who he was. 

I have known several people who were surprised by a show going off the air. Particularly on shows that HGTV marathon all the time. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Mitch and Cam live in LA, they would have spotted way more celebrities than that. I live in Burbank, and I see celebrities all the time.

Exactly!  Hell, within the universe of the show we know Mitch met Ray Liota and talked to Barbra Streisand on his birthday outing with Haley, Alex, & Luke and Cam met Hugh Jackman, per the story he told in the campaigning for Claire episode.  All of those top a has been HGTVesque host.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Exactly!  Hell, within the universe of the show we know Mitch met Ray Liota and talked to Barbra Streisand on his birthday outing with Haley, Alex, & Luke and Cam met Hugh Jackman, per the story he told in the campaigning for Claire episode.  All of those top a has been HGTVesque host.

Right! I bought all the other stories. With Phil, this was a celebrity brush with a personal hero. Also, it was more involved than just seeing someone out and about - this was a business transaction, involving conversation and interaction. That tracks. Also, with Jay...he might see celebrities out in public all the time and just not recognize them. I mean, he could be in line at the ATM behind Chris Martin and have zero clue who he was. So both of those were fine with me, but the Mitch and Cam thing took me out of the story!

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, bkathi said:

Loved Joe saying that he saw Santa at the mall - a true celebrity sighting!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, chitowngirl said:

And said with the wide eyed innocence and excitement of the young!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, tennisgurl said:

I actually thought Chris Martin was pretty funny. He was so earnest, and he seemed to be having a lot of fun poking fun at himself. 

That was so cute! I was pretty iffy on Joe at first, but the actor really is adorable without being overly precocious. 

It was also his second lone confessional (and third overall, counting his shared one with Gloria).  Though I wonder why his appearance was only limited to that confessional, and he didn't appear in any real-time events?

I like to think I have a pretty good vocabulary, but exactly what does "sanguine" mean?  I literally haven't heard that word until Claire said it in this episode.  Though I LOVED the camera widening outward to reveal Alex dropping the boom on her by telling her she wasn't using the word right, followed by Claire trying not to let her face fall.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

For me Mitch and Cam's story was about being excited about the possibility of being on tv themselves more than than the celebrity of the host.

True, that's what their story was about - I was thinking more of the TH at the beginning where they recounted all the fake celebrity sightings (Cam thought they were real). But, the main itself, as well. Just secondary to the TH.

1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

I like to think I have a pretty good vocabulary, but exactly what does "sanguine" mean? 

It basically means that when things are going to crap, it doesn't bother you that much. You're still happy.

• Love 5

Sanguine means blood-related, or hearty and cheerful. (It comes from the days when people thought that having a lot of blood meant you had a positive outlook.)

There was a previous episode where Claire mentioned running into Beyonce in a coffee shop (she was hiding it from Cam, because she knew he'd be jealous.) It would have been a nice callback if Claire had mentioned that when she was asked about her celebrity encounters, but of course that didn't happen.

• Love 2

Personally, I know who Coldplay IS...I am familiar with a few of their songs. But would I recognize band members randomly out in public? No. So I found it a little hard to believe that literally EVERYONE who saw the guy immediately knew him and started gushing. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

But would I recognize band members randomly out in public? No. So I found it a little hard to believe that literally EVERYONE who saw the guy immediately knew him and started gushing. 

He probably got recognized a lot more for being "unconsciously uncoupled" with Ms. Paltrow and then hooking up with Jennifer Lawrence.  And his singing voice is pretty distinctive.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Another thing...where was Lily in this episode? We got everyone's .02, even Joe's. 

Somehow I can imagine Lily giving a snarky commentary about how she doesn't care about celebrities...

We actually didn't have Haley, either.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

We actually didn't have Haley, either.

Haley has probably met actual celebrities with her promotion business. It could have been funny to have her rattle off a whole list of names of DJs, Instagram and YouTube stars and have no one else know how they even are. 

• Love 6