Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

What if BP had flopped?

Didn't they also say that they increased Shuri's part in IW because they could already tell that she was going to be a break out star in BP?  I think they had a pretty good idea that BP was going to kill it... they just didn't yet know by how much.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

Didn't they also say that they increased Shuri's part in IW because they could already tell that she was going to be a break out star in BP?  I think they had a pretty good idea that BP was going to kill it... they just didn't yet know by how much.  

Yes, Nate Moore, one of the producers of BP, told the Russo brothers that Shuri "popped" based on the dailies so they made sure to include her. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Hilarious and I also agree with them. Gamora was the emotional heart and the best actor in the movie!

I agree, but I quibble with the "Didn't see that coming" comment.

• Love 3

I guess they needed someplace for Thor and Hulk to be during "Civil Wars" producing "Thor: Ragnarok" which I still haven't seen even a clip! I only wonder how Steve and Tony get back together after Cap almost killed him at the end of "CW?" You can say he only disabled Iron Man, but he had no way of knowing if he'd switch Tony off for good! Saw clips of "IW" on You Tube recently; so much going on! There's speculation time travel will have to come into play to deal with this thread by Thanos to the universe! I'll be patient and wait for it to hit Cable unless someone buys the disc for me! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

I only wonder how Steve and Tony get back together after Cap almost killed him at the end of "CW?" You can say he only disabled Iron Man, but he had no way of knowing if he'd switch Tony off for good!

I don't understand

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't understand

True enough I only saw clips of "Civil Wars" on You Tube, but I do seem to remember ….

Spoiler

...a battle between Cap and IM trying to deal with the Bucky situation and him killing Tony's parents! IM was trying to get at the "Winter Soldier" and Captain America was trying to protect him! Tony wouldn't stop and Cap smashed his chest plate disabling Iron Man! Didn't that happen? He might have died which is all I was saying! How do you go back to being best buds? ;-) 

24 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

True enough I only saw clips of "Civil Wars" on You Tube, but I do seem to remember ….

Hide contents

...a battle between Cap and IM trying to deal with the Bucky situation and him killing Tony's parents! IM was trying to get at the "Winter Soldier" and Captain America was trying to protect him! Tony wouldn't stop and Cap smashed his chest plate disabling Iron Man! Didn't that happen? He might have died which is all I was saying! How do you go back to being best buds? ;-) 

Capt smashed the power source for the Iron Man Suit, Tony wasn't in danger. The suit has it's own power source, that happened at the end of IM3.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Capt smashed the power source for the Iron Man Suit, Tony wasn't in danger. The suit has it's own power source, that happened at the end of IM3.

Thanks! More immersed in DC Universe! Avengers and X-Men have sucked me in with their movies over the years! Unfortunately DC hasn't been able to match them even though I still find them entertaining! The reboot of Batman with "Batman Begins" was almost a religious experience! Everything about it took me back to my childhood, reminiscent of gladiator movies talking about honor with that great music! ;-)

• Love 2

Okay, so here are my thoughts after three re-watches. I don't know which I would put first, but Infinity War is right up there with The Avengers, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and Thor Ragnarok for me.   

I have always despised Loki, but the moment that he says "Odin's son" and looks at Thor is difficult to watch. I desperately hope that he and Heimdall return somehow.

The Tony/Spider Man/Strange/Wong/Kinda Bruce fight with Thanos' minions should have been shorter. I would have prefered to get more of Tony and Bruce's reunion, talking about what they had each been through over the last two years. They really sold me on the Tony/Peter mentor relationship. Peter's surprised reaction to Tony's improvements to his suit with the nano technology was fun as were his pop culture references. I still don't like Strange and agree with Thanos' minion that he is a "vaguely irritating person." 

I am interested in how Bruce and the Hulk reconcile their differences. I have always thought that Bruce needs to accept that the Hulk is part of his persona if he is going to have any happiness. Now it seems the same thing has to happen with the Hulk.

Pirate Angel, urr Thor's scenes with the Guardians are hysterical. Watching the movie, I couldn't figure out why he was calling them, "morons," now I realize it is because that is what Rabbit, urr Rocket called them. Nice to see Rocket reaching out to Thor. I cracked up when Thor said what else could he lose, and Rocket muttered, "I could lose more." Bwah. Teaming up Pirate Angel, Rabbit, and Tree was genius. I hope that we get to see Peter Dinklage's character again.

I love that the first scene of Wakanda is accompanied by its theme. Steve emerging out of the shadows and Thor's arrival in Wakanda are still two of the best "hero" moments.

The ending where the Avengers lose to Thanos and some of them disintegrate into dust is heartbreaking. I still think that they all come back (including Gamora) with a time jump to the past and a reset. My only doubts are about Loki and Heimdall. Their deaths might be permanent. 

What did Scarlett Johansson do to her forehead? She looked so odd.

I hope that Ross was dusted or dies a hard death. He is so freaking annoying.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

Three things that occurred to me on rewatch:

Was I the only one who thought it would be more interesting for Avengers 4 if there had been 2 or 3 ways to win? 

Loved the hug between Banner and Tony.

Loved Bucky's reaction to seeing the arm: equal parts dread, worry, and something that felt like resignation to me.

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

What did Scarlett Johansson do to her forehead? She looked so odd.

I know! I thought it was the hair but isn't she a natural blond? Was it the forehead? The eyebrows?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3

Just watched the commentary, and a couple interesting points were made about Thanos. One is that his people ignored his horrible idea and died, but that doesn't mean his plan would have saved them. The other is that Thanos is a sociopath with messianic tendencies, and that's why his plan makes no sense if you think about it logically. They specifically mention that it would be possible to use the gauntlet to multiply the available resources, but this idea would never have occurred to Thanos.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I know! I thought it was the hair but isn't she a natural blond? Was it the forehead? The eyebrows?

I think that she had an eyebrow/forehead lift because her forehead looked weird and tight. Hollywood.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, supposebly said:

Loved Bucky's reaction to seeing the arm: equal parts dread, worry, and something that felt like resignation to me.

It was so well done. Bucky does not want to fight, he does not want that life anymore but he'll step up and do what he has to. It was a good scene for the character going forward.

I saw the movie at the theater twice so when I watched at home yesterday since I knew everything that was going to happen, I just concentrated on the performances. Everybody was on their A game for sure. I think I was most affected by Tony though, RDJ is just so damn good. Second probably Tom Hiddleston, that one face he made towards Thor just hit me straight in the gut.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, supposebly said:

Loved the hug between Banner and Tony.

I loved it also. I have always considered the Avengers to be "work friends" who socialize occasionally, but I thought Infinity War cemented their bonds of friendship and established nascent ones. 

1 hour ago, festivus said:

I think I was most affected by Tony though, RDJ is just so damn good. Second probably Tom Hiddleston, that one face he made towards Thor just hit me straight in the gut.

Although Tony had that intense emotional moment when he found out that Bucky killed his parents in Civil War, I think that Infinity War was Tony's most emotional movie from start to finish and that RDJ played the hell out of it. I was struck that the movie starts with Tony hoping that Pepper is pregnant which indicates to me that he meant it when he said that the nano technology was a precaution. He was clearly ready to settle down and have a family with Pepper, only for Thanos to disrupt all his plans. I can only imagine how tortured Tony will be if Pepper has been dusted.

I don't share the love of Tom Hiddleston, but the way Loki said "Odin's son" and the expression on his face when he looked at Thor as he walked to his certain death was well done. It captured Loki's love, sadness, and regret for his anger and jealousy. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

I was struck that the movie starts with Tony hoping that Pepper is pregnant which indicates to me that he meant it when he said that the nano technology was a precaution. He was clearly ready to settle down and have a family with Pepper, only for Thanos to disrupt all his plans. I can only imagine how tortured Tony will be if Pepper has been dusted.

I watched Spider-Man right after Infinity War and this time I was really struck by the father/son theme Tony and Peter had going on. I agree with you on Tony's state of mind at the beginning of IW which is one of the reasons he breaks my heart so much in this movie. He wants that life now but he's always known this day was coming for Earth, it's always been there for him. You can even hear it in "I'm sorry, Earth is closed today", it's funny sarcastic Tony with that panic coming through. RDJ is the best.

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

And finding out that everyone involved credits RDJ for the guy-wrenching emotion of Peter’s dusting - he really is the heart of the franchise.

"Mr. Stark? I...I don't feel so good."

I foolishly thought I'd be safe watching it on DVD with my laptop's small screen, but even Loki getting killed got to me. I have to keep reminding myself that they'll probably reverse most of it, that this isn't another Rogue One where everyone dies, but it feels like it's already been a whole year since I first saw it.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Just watched the commentary, and a couple interesting points were made about Thanos. One is that his people ignored his horrible idea and died, but that doesn't mean his plan would have saved them. The other is that Thanos is a sociopath with messianic tendencies, and that's why his plan makes no sense if you think about it logically. They specifically mention that it would be possible to use the gauntlet to multiply the available resources, but this idea would never have occurred to Thanos.

When does it ever seem like a sane individual involved when they crave dominion of everything? When I was a kid, the biggest villain may have been Davros of "Doctor Who" fame! Multiple times he put all of creation in jeapardy to have the satisfaction that his creation of Daleks would rule supreme! Things like this just never made any sense to me unless it was benefiting more than one's self! Thanos willing to eliminate his own daughter just to acquire that power showed he had to be as insane as feasibly possible! It seems as if every generation has to find someone or something willing to sacrifice the ultimate love to acquire a goal, but not sure where else we can go after Thanos? Normally systematic treachery like Soran's in "ST Generations" was crazy, but it didn't put the fabric of time in jeapardy as Thanos appears to have done in "IW!" ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I loved it also. I have always considered the Avengers to be "work friends" who socialize occasionally, but I thought Infinity War cemented their bonds of friendship and established nascent ones.

I loved that IW continued the Steve/Sam/Nat (with Wanda as the tag-a-long lil sister) family arc that's been in motion since CATWS, but I hate that their reunion(s) with Bucky were excised from the final cut of the film.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 7

Can’t lie, a Nat/Steve/Sam/Wanda movie about their life as a roving strike team is WAY more interesting to me than any upcoming Marvel movie except maaaaaybe Captain Marvel. They should seriously consider spinning those four off into their own little line.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Dee said:

I loved that IW continued the Steve/Sam/Nat (with Wanda as the tag-a-long lil sister) family arc that's been in motion since CATWS, but I hate that their reunion(s) with Bucky were excised from the final cut of the film.

Yeah, they left Sam and Bucky while the rest went up to see Shuri and I was wondering what were they talking about down there. "So you like goats, then?" or "Who did your man-bun for you when you only had one arm?" This is info I need to know!

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, festivus said:

"Who did your man-bun for you when you only had one arm?"

Shuri, obviously. ;-)

More seriously, for all the talk of how little screen time Steve got with Bucky, why wouldn't Barnes have gone with Team Cap after being out of cryo? Fine, he doesn't really get along with Sam, but the look on his face when T'Challa brought the replacement arm out to his little farm was this amalgam of tired, scared and "Enough, already!' I think if the whole thing with Thanos hadn't been happening, he'd have been quite happy to crawl under his bed and stay there until it was over, but he stepped up mostly because Steve needed his help and Rogers has done so much for him. Just an interesting contrast, since I really do think he wants to be done with fighting forever.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Shuri, obviously. ;-)

More seriously, for all the talk of how little screen time Steve got with Bucky, why wouldn't Barnes have gone with Team Cap after being out of cryo? Fine, he doesn't really get along with Sam, but the look on his face when T'Challa brought the replacement arm out to his little farm was this amalgam of tired, scared and "Enough, already!' I think if the whole thing with Thanos hadn't been happening, he'd have been quite happy to crawl under his bed and stay there until it was over, but he stepped up mostly because Steve needed his help and Rogers has done so much for him. Just an interesting contrast, since I really do think he wants to be done with fighting forever.

I got the feeling that Bucky, who came of age when everybody in the world was drafting soldiers, just saw it was Wakanda's turn. And owed it to them for fixing him.

• Love 6

One aspect of Infinity War the Russos failed at, was the complete lack of Rhodey's reaction to Tony's disappearance.

As much as Marvel tries to pair Tony in insta-relationships with random white boys (Bruce, Stephen), Rhodey will ALWAYS be Tony's best friend.

Rhodey joking around while Tony vanishes into space fighting aliens is unbelievable imo.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Shuri, obviously. ;-)

For sure. Shuri's hair is awesome.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

One aspect of Infinity War the Russos failed at, was the complete lack of Rhodey's reaction to Tony's disappearance.

As much as Marvel tries to pair Tony in insta-relationships with random white boys (Bruce, Stephen), Rhodey will ALWAYS be Tony's best friend.

Rhodey joking around while Tony vanishes into space fighting aliens is unbelievable imo.

That's a good point. I hope we get some good interaction in A4.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I cracked up when Thor said what else could he lose, and Rocket muttered, "I could lose more." Bwah. Teaming up Pirate Angel, Rabbit, and Tree was genius. I hope that we get to see Peter Dinklage's character again.

Yeah, that was a great team up, I loved it. Thor's Norse Epic style mixed with the madcap space hijinks of the Guardians was a match made in space heaven. You could tell how much fun the actors and writers were having mixing and matching so many characters from around the franchise, and just letting them interact and fight against/with each other. That scene is also super sad in retrospect, considering Rocket lost literally everyone to Thanos and the Snappening. Ouch

I watched this again to see if it still held up now that I know whats going to happen, and have gotten over the "holy crap, this is IT!" immediate nerdgasm of seeing all of these characters together on the big screen, and its still a really good movie, still one of the best in the MCU. Its a mix of me being impressed that this isnt a total clusterfuck (so many moving parts in this movie, so many characters, so much going down) and a part is just amazed that its really just a great movie. It is also significantly darker on re-watch, knowing how it all ends. There are funny parts, but it takes itself VERY seriously, from the horrifying ending to its heart crushing ending.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I'm glad the Russo's didn't try to cram everything in IW (like Rhodey and Tony's friendship). We know it's there, we know that Rhodey and Happy (who had an awesome cut scene! Seriously, how do you cut Jon Faverreau who started this darned thing in the first place?!) are Tony's ride-or-dies. We got a whole A4 coming up to explore the stuff that didn't get into this one.

Like Thor and Banner simultaneously reading them all the riot for what happened in Civil War. And getting Nat and Clint on screen together again. And the better-be-there-I'll-riot-if-it's-not reunion between Thor, Korg, Valkeryie and the Asgardian remnent.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, festivus said:

Yeah, they left Sam and Bucky while the rest went up to see Shuri and I was wondering what were they talking about down there. "So you like goats, then?" or "Who did your man-bun for you when you only had one arm?" This is info I need to know!

I saw an interview with Seb Stan and Letitia Wright, and apparently Seb actually wondered how Bucky would do a man-bun with one arm! They came up with "the kids did it". It's a totally adorable interview, btw.
As far as the arm goes, my headcanon is that of course there's no way it took Shuri two years to make an arm (time between Civil War and IW). We're also not 100% sure how long Bucky's been out of cryo, my guess is about 18 months? Anyway, so Shuri's offered the arm before, because even if one is not a super soldier, having an arm comes in handy (haha). But, Bucky's refused it, he would rather live simply and having the metal arm reminds him too much of being the Winter Soldier. So when they bring the arm to him, he knows this is serious business, they wouldn't ask it of him if it wasn't. 

• Love 12

Yeah, simply by virtue of the limitations of the medium, they're going to have to leave a couple of movies worth of material on the cutting room floor.  What might be cool though, is that if instead of doing deleted scenes, they could use that unused material and do mini arcs with things that happened while the main action was going on.  Release it online, or have it as a feature on the DVD...   

5 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

So when they bring the arm to him, he knows this is serious business, they wouldn't ask it of him if it wasn't. 

Yeah.  I think they would have had to do extensive testing and tweaking on the arm to get it right, so I think that would have been a long-ish process.  But I think Bucky views the arm as a weapon, and with the goats, he didn't need it, particularly when he already has enhanced strength.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

I saw an interview with Seb Stan and Letitia Wright, and apparently Seb actually wondered how Bucky would do a man-bun with one arm! They came up with "the kids did it". It's a totally adorable interview, btw.

Oh that's funny, that's what I said to the family after we watched Black Panther, that the kids did it. The family thought I was funny anyway. ;) I'll have to look for that interview.

Yeah I was trying to think of what Sam would say to Bucky after not seeing him for a while. I took the goats thing from what he said to T'Challa about cats in Civil War.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, festivus said:

Yeah I was trying to think of what Sam would say to Bucky after not seeing him for a while. I took the goats thing from what he said to T'Challa about cats in Civil War.

The Russos made Sam & Bucky friends due to Stackie's real life chemistry; so Sam would've been happy to see Bucky.

Mackie even did a bunch of takes where Sam playfully teases Bucky about his (lack of) trigger words but the scenes were left out of the film.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Dee said:

The Russos made Sam & Bucky friends due to Stackie's real life chemistry; so Sam would've been happy to see Bucky.

Mackie even did a bunch of takes where Sam playfully teases Bucky about his (lack of) trigger words but the scenes were left out of the film.

You beat me to it. The arm presumably was not the problem, it was the Soviet Hydra brainwashing that had to be solved least another Zemo turned Bucky into his human terminator.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Raja said:

The arm presumably was not the problem, it was the Soviet Hydra brainwashing that had to be solved least another Zemo turned Bucky into his human terminator.

Per the tie in comic, the issue with the trigger words was solved early on by Shuri while he was still armless, and while Steve, Nat and Sam were out hunting for alien tech being used by terrorists.  Seb had talked about Bucky being in a situation where he was trying to figure out who to trust, and the others were wary of him, but obviously none of that made it on screen.  

• Love 1

Per the tie in comic, the issue with the trigger words was solved early on by Shuri while he was still armless, and while Steve, Nat and Sam were out hunting for alien tech being used by terrorists.  Seb had talked about Bucky being in a situation where he was trying to figure out who to trust, and the others were wary of him, but obviously none of that made it on screen.  

OK, I now wish Infinity War was a trilogy so they could fit all this in! Are there more deleted scenes than the (three?) I think I've seen. 

2 hours ago, Dee said:

I did not know that. I wish I could see those takes.

Per the tie in comic, the issue with the trigger words was solved early on by Shuri while he was still armless, and while Steve, Nat and Sam were out hunting for alien tech being used by terrorists. 

This one I did know, I bought the comic.

So my personal headcanon is that Sam and Nat totally started doin' it while they were out hunting alien tech and that's where the awkward comment came from. They also spied on Steve and Bucky's video chats hence the man-bun comment. (Hunting alien tech can get boring dude. Can't be doin' it all the time) This will be my canon until A4 comes and proves it wrong.

Here's an article about the trigger words scene:

Even though Sam sympathizes with Bucky, he still gives him a hard time, although in a much more light-hearted manner. In the scene where they reunite, Sam asks if they need to be worried Bucky will snap someone’s neck if they say a random trigger word like “baloney sandwich,” “eggplant,” or “Rancho Cucamonga.” (Note that directors Joe and Anthony Russo had Mackie try out different, ridiculous trigger words in each take, so there’s no telling which one will wind up in the final cut of the movie.)

... or none of them will.  :-(

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, festivus said:

I did not know that. I wish I could see those takes.

This one I did know, I bought the comic.

So my personal headcanon is that Sam and Nat totally started doin' it while they were out hunting alien tech and that's where the awkward comment came from. They also spied on Steve and Bucky's video chats hence the man-bun comment. (Hunting alien tech can get boring dude. Can't be doin' it all the time) This will be my canon until A4 comes and proves it wrong.

I need to see Shuri getting exasperated with Steve calling every day asking if Bucky is awake yet, how he is, etc. Then once he is awake, calling to talk to him and she has to walk out to the goat farm and get him. "It's your boyfriend again!"

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Dee said:

The Russos made Sam & Bucky friends due to Stackie's real life chemistry

Sam literally told Bucky that he hated him in Civil War, and I'm pretty sure he meant it. I'm sure Sam would be nicer now that more time has passed since Bucky (as the Winter Soldier) tried to kill him but I wouldn't say they were friends. 

Edited by JustaPerson
40 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Sam literally told Bucky that he hated him in Civil War, and I'm pretty sure he meant it. I'm sure Sam would be nicer now that more time has passed since Bucky (as the Winter Soldier) tried to kill him but I wouldn't say they were friends. 

In fairness, the scene you're referencing is the one where Peter has just incapacitated both Sam and Bucky with his webs, and Bucky gripes, "You couldn't have done that sooner?" about using Red Wing to carry Peter away. I wouldn't say they were friends either, but I think they're both past "Could you move your seat up a little?" "No."

• Love 4

From the article about the trigger words conversation:

The actors revealed that when their characters eventually reunite, their determination to beat Thanos will inspire them to leave the past behind and cut each other some slack. 

So yeah, I do think that the Russos have tried to imply pretty heavily that Sam and Bucky haven’t seen each other since the disagreement at the airport (though I think it’s also possible, given how the tie in comic was done, that Bucky could have been with Steve when Steve got them all out of The Raft, but it’s squishy), but it's been two years, so it seems like it's more about the unknown rather than any real dislike or distrust. 

Plus the fact that Bucky calls himself “semi-stable” seems to imply that he doesn’t think he’s 100% safe to be around in a fight, but that the circumstances warrant the risk, so any concerns Sam may have are reasonable.  It's also the first time we’ve seen on screen (and possibly at all) where Bucky has fought an enemy with the intent to kill since Steve broke his programming, and it’s possible that he hasn’t had to kill anyone since the Triskelion battle.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Sam literally told Bucky that he hated him in Civil War, and I'm pretty sure he meant it.

Except Sam's remark is said with absolutely NO venom, after they've both just finished mutually saving each other from the overzealous kid in the footie pajamas AND immediately after Bucky teases Sam (which he does with no one else during the course of the film INCLUDING Steve) about Sam's timing re: Redwing.

So I'd say it's safe to say Sam & Bucky quickly grow into frenemies in Civil War, and are straight up friends by the time Infinity War rolls around imo.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

So yeah, I do think that the Russos have tried to imply pretty heavily that Sam and Bucky haven’t seen each other since the disagreement at the airport

It's possible that article was written prior to the multiple drafts the script went through, because it's never made clear in the film, or, ircc, the comic, that Steve visited Wakanda alone.

Edited by Dee
8 minutes ago, Dee said:

because it's never made clear in the film, or, ircc, the comic, that Steve visited Wakanda alone.

True, that was my take from Sam not knowing how to get into Wakanda through the security illusion when they were first flying in.  It was my impression that it was the first time he'd been there, but there could certainly be another way in that Steve would have know about.  

I don't think IW was implying Sam didn't know how to get into Wakanda imo.

The protective dome that covers Wakanda's capital, doesn't cover the entirety of Wakanda.

And from what's been shown Bucky was only in the capital city for cryo/re-programming and to greet the Avengers when they arrive during IW.