Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

As sad as IW was talking about it in the threads is a relative joy after the endless debates in the Civil War and The Last Jedi thread!

Lol. I read the whole Civil War thread a couple of weeks ago and it was kind of a slog. No Last Jedi though, I haven't seen it yet and I have to stay unspoiled.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

PS: I was spared by Thanos, that's why I'm here in the forums.

I wasn't spared.  Thanos dusted me not once but twice.

I am in the forums as I decided to resurrect myself as I am sure many of the characters (if not all) who were dusted will be resurrected as well.

• Love 3

A lot of us felt passionately about what happened in Civil War, particularly as a followup to Winter Soldier.  There wasn't much in IW to really feel passionate about (unless it's the 'who's fault was it' discussion)... just sad.

If anyone is curious, here is the screen time breakdown:

Also, Avenger!Ducks!!

• Love 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Also, Avenger!Ducks!!

I'm glad Gamora was the second most screen time. I thought Zoe Saldana  gave a great performance and was the emotional core of the movie.

A lot of us felt passionately about what happened in Civil War, particularly as a followup to Winter Soldier.  There wasn't much in IW to really feel passionate about (unless it's the 'who's fault was it' discussion)... just sad.

Yeah and what is there to be passionate about is fun, nerdy, geeky stuff. Like I could have a dorky discussion about "Which Infinity Stone could beat another if two people only had one?" Maybe it's like "Rock, Paper, Scissors" where only the Reality Stone can beat the Time Stone but only the Mind Stone can beat Reality?

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 5/10/2018 at 5:31 AM, Jeebus Cripes said:

In the scene in which Peter and Tony first meet, Peter says, "Where's Gamora?" to which Tony replies, "I'll do you even better: who is Gamora?"

Then, despite the heated standoff, Drax cuts in, asking, "I'll do you one better: Why is Gamora?" They revealed Bautista completely ad-libbed the line, prompting Markus to recall, "OK, you're very good at your job."

On 5/9/2018 at 1:57 PM, VCRTracking said:

What part did he improvise?

Joe Russo: I think what was scripted was, “I don’t feel so good,” and, “I’m sorry,” and everything in-between is Tom.

So, “I don’t want to go,” was his?

Joe Russo: Yeah. And the emotional level to which we pushed him to, that was really just us just saying, “You’re a child and you don’t understand.”

Good lord, how are these people so good at this?!? Perhaps the funniest and almost certainly the saddest moments in the film were ad-libbed!

(Wasn’t there also a post earlier in the thread that said the two Chrises ad-libbed the “haircut?”/“stole my beard?” exchange because they thought that was something two guy friends would say after not seeing each other for a while?)

I can only assume that is one of the benefits of having this kind of shared universe. You get multiple go-rounds for actors to get good with their characters and with each other, so when there are new situations and/or characters to bounce off of, they’re comfortable and confident and you get great stuff because of that. Drax is a unique kind of dude, lol, and this is Bautista’s third time around with him. This is also already the third time Tom Holland has played Spider-Man in this universe and worked closely with RDJ. I gotta think that can lead to these kinds of pay-offs.

I have to honestly say, Tom Holland sooooo impressed me with Peter’s last scene, even before I knew a lot of it was ad-libbed. He really is a GREAT Peter Parker, and it should have been so tough to deal with the third flippin version of the character in like 15 years, but I love him.

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

It's weird how it doesn't FEEL like Okoye or Bucky or Cap only got so little screentime. I'm thinking it's because whenever they did show up it felt like a "moment" and something to push the story forward. Heimdall was onscreen for 45 seconds (!) but those seconds were so impactful. They really balanced (as all things should be) this movie well.

I hate 3D but I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D next week before Deadpool 2 takes all of their screens. I'm obsessed with this movie.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

It's weird how it doesn't FEEL like Okoye or Bucky or Cap only got so little screentime. I'm thinking it's because whenever they did show up it felt like a "moment" and something to push the story forward. Heimdall was onscreen for 45 seconds (!) but those seconds were so impactful. They really balanced (as all things should be) this movie well.

Yeah, I thought they did a great job of making what time those that had under 5 minutes had, meaningful.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I did find the thread interesting but I admit my eyes would glaze over when the accords were discussed in detail. But yeah there doesn't seem to be much more to discuss about IW except spec about what will happen next. But I do have a question. When Peter showed up in the park when Tony was fighting, Tony said "Where did you come from?" and I thought Peter said "The future." Is that what he said?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, festivus said:

I did find the thread interesting but I admit my eyes would glaze over when the accords were discussed in detail. But yeah there doesn't seem to be much more to discuss about IW except spec about what will happen next. But I do have a question. When Peter showed up in the park when Tony was fighting, Tony said "Where did you come from?" and I thought Peter said "The future." Is that what he said?

It sounded like "The future" to me too the first time I watched. Second time I heard "Field trip" and I think the rest was "to MOMA!" meaning the Museum of Modern Art. I'll have to wait until the blu ray for the subtitles.

18 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

t sounded like "The future" to me too the first time I watched. Second time I heard "Field trip" and I think the rest was "to MOMA!" meaning the Museum of Modern Art. I'll have to wait until the blu ray for the subtitles.

Thanks. Well curse my old lady ears, I thought he said "the future" but "field trip" sounds more likely.

22 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

It sounded like "The future" to me too the first time I watched. Second time I heard "Field trip" and I think the rest was "to MOMA!" meaning the Museum of Modern Art. I'll have to wait until the blu ray for the subtitles.

I heard MoMA.

• Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, festivus said:

He said "field trip". Peter then references this again when he said to himself "I should have stayed on the bus". He got his friend to distract the rest of the bus while he sneaks off the bus. Also fun fact, Stan Lee was the driver.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Finally saw this - I like to wait until the crowds thin out.  Very impressive just because of the pure scale of the thing, and yet it still held together.

I thought Thor stole the movie - well, it was Thanos' movie really, but of the good guys, I thought Thor stole it.  Just like the Hulk stole the first one.  Giving him a little humor makes a huge difference.

The deaths were impactful, but why did it take Spider-Man so long to die?  Everyone else seemed to go a lot quicker.

My favorite lines were Thor calling Rocket "Rabbit" and Groot "Tree", Quill asking if Footloose was still considered the best movie of all time, and Spider-Man answering "It never was".  And Groot saying "I am Groot" and Cap responding "I am Steve Rodgers".

I have to admit I am surprised I have little clue about how they are going to resolve all this.  Hopefully that topic isn't taboo here?  Obviously Captain Marvel is going to have something to do with it, and most likely the power of the Infinity Gauntlet.  To be honest, I never really quite "got" Captain Marvel, not even the old version that died cancer.  I much preferred Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer when it came to "cosmic" heroes.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

The deaths were impactful, but why did it take Spider-Man so long to die?  Everyone else seemed to go a lot quicker.

Somewhere online someone speculated that it was because a) Spider-Man has spider sense, so he felt it coming before he actually started disappearing, hence "I don't feel so good" and b) he has a healing factor so his body was trying to repair the damage, making it take longer. But really it's to hurt us. And Tony.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

Somewhere online someone speculated that it was because a) Spider-Man has spider sense, so he felt it coming before he actually started disappearing, hence "I don't feel so good" and b) he has a healing factor so his body was trying to repair the damage, making it take longer. But really it's to hurt us. And Tony.

There is also rumor that Tom Holland improvised his "death" and the brothers keep it in.

4 hours ago, blueray said:

He said "field trip". Peter then references this again when he said to himself "I should have stayed on the bus". He got his friend to distract the rest of the bus while he sneaks off the bus. Also fun fact, Stan Lee was the driver.

The funniest part is that Ned didn't pay attention to Peter, he saw the space ship and simply reacted like a nerdy kid....we're all going to die, cool!

29 minutes ago, Raja said:

There is also rumor that Tom Holland improvised his "death" and the brothers keep it in.

Not a rumor, Russo Bros out right said he added the "I don't want to go" line

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not a rumor, Russo Bros out right said he added the "I don't want to go" line

Nice improvisation.  Fits the fact that he was the youngest of the heroes and hadn't lived much of his life yet.  

It occurred to me that it took him so long to die so that he could get his lines out.  And because he was probably the most popular hero to die, although Black Panther has to get a mention after that film's massive box office!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

because he was probably the most popular hero to die, although Black Panther has to get a mention after that film's massive box office!

I think Black Panther's death was quick because it was intended to shock/surprise. I remember watching that scene and, thinking Okoye was going to dust...especially after seeing M'Baku survive. I was shocked when T'Challa dusted, I even gasped at that scene.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Nice improvisation.  Fits the fact that he was the youngest of the heroes and hadn't lived much of his life yet.  

It occurred to me that it took him so long to die so that he could get his lines out.  And because he was probably the most popular hero to die, although Black Panther has to get a mention after that film's massive box office!

The fan theory is he had enough time because his Spider Sense was warning him.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think Black Panther's death was quick because it was intended to shock/surprise. I remember watching that scene and, thinking Okoye was going to dust...especially after seeing M'Baku survive. I was shocked when T'Challa dusted, I even gasped at that scene.

I think that they should have had Okoye or either Shuri going to dust. We saw everybody deal with T'Challa's presumed death in Black Panther. It would have been different to see T'Challa deal with one of their deaths.  How would that affect him and his decision to help the outside world. Had they not taken in Vision, to protect him. Wakanda would have been safe from Thanos.  Plus, in the comic books, Shuri was killed by Proxima midnight and T'Challa went to the astral plane to get her.   I am hoping that when Shuri is pushed to take the mantle of Black Panther, it is revealed that Bast has rejected Shuri because she has T'Challa, and is keeping him safe and fortifying him to take on Thanos.

There has been a backlash over T'Challa's death in the movie. The writers are defending their decision by saying that they treated T'Challa's death like everybody else's.. That pissed me off even more.. T'Challa is the only Black superheroe that we have and you kill him off...This is why you need diversity in the writing room...

• Love 1
(edited)

Like everyone else in that they want Avengers 4 to be original MCU  and comic book Avengers plus Captain Marvel with the all of big characters already on the schedule for sequel movies minus the rabbit, going to dust. I  think folks are being over critical for creative choices needed to make part 2 after the year long intermission 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 6

I watched SMH. I don't think there was any scenes where Peter mentioned "spider sense." Also, he got caught in costume by Ned and Aunt May, so maybe he doesn't have that.

M'Baku didn't fade? So if T'Challa is gone, and Shuri got wiped out off-camera . . . M'Baku would be able to run Wakanda. Man, that's gotta be a mixed blessing.

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I watched SMH. I don't think there was any scenes where Peter mentioned "spider sense." Also, he got caught in costume by Ned and Aunt May, so maybe he doesn't have that.

M'Baku didn't fade? So if T'Challa is gone, and Shuri got wiped out off-camera . . . M'Baku would be able to run Wakanda. Man, that's gotta be a mixed blessing.

Peter didn't mention it but in Infinity War his hair stands on end alerting him to look up and see the starship before anyone else on the bus. It is just from 60 years of comics and 8 big movie appearances he doesn't have to mention it anymore than we need to see the spider bite or Uncle Ben getting shot again.

I  am pretty sure Shuri will be part of the scientific team with Rocket, Banner and Stark come Avengers 4.  Depending upon how the MCU is fixed in Avengers 4 the political fallout from the  Wakandan army suffering more than the rest of the world would be a jumping off point for Black Panther 2.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, Macbeth said:

I wasn't spared.  Thanos dusted me not once but twice.

I am in the forums as I decided to resurrect myself as I am sure many of the characters (if not all) who were dusted will be resurrected as well.

Thanos dusted me at least 6 times, both on the PC and my phone. I have never been spared. Dude really wants me dead!

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I couldn't remember if M'Baku survived.  Glad he's still around. I really dig that guy.

1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think that they should have had Okoye or either Shuri going to dust. We saw everybody deal with T'Challa's presumed death in Black Panther. It would have been different to see T'Challa deal with one of their deaths.  How would that affect him and his decision to help the outside world. Had they not taken in Vision, to protect him. Wakanda would have been safe from Thanos.  Plus, in the comic books, Shuri was killed by Proxima midnight and T'Challa went to the astral plane to get her.   I am hoping that when Shuri is pushed to take the mantle of Black Panther, it is revealed that Bast has rejected Shuri because she has T'Challa, and is keeping him safe and fortifying him to take on Thanos.

There has been a backlash over T'Challa's death in the movie. The writers are defending their decision by saying that they treated T'Challa's death like everybody else's.. That pissed me off even more.. T'Challa is the only Black superheroe that we have and you kill him off...This is why you need diversity in the writing room...

Are Sam and Rhodey chopped liver? I understand why T-Challa was dusted. They were going for deaths that would leave people shook. Anyways, I highly doubt he'll stay dead. No way in hell Spider-man and Black Panther stay dead when they're only one film into their own franchise.

• Love 2

I guess as a spectacle it was fine. As a movie, not so much. I'm underwhelmed and annoyed at the same time. I don't blame the Russo brothers for the massive amount of stupid in this movie. It was the same writers that did Civil War, a movie filled with stupid writing just to get the conflicts and action scenes going, so I should have expected nothing to be better in IW.

What was done to Gamora in this movie (and really her whole MCU run) pissed me off so much. Between the fridging, the total OOC-ness and the retcons of her backstory and GOTG1...I don't know what was worse. And to top it off, an abused child gets to tell their parent 'abuse is NOT love' only for the movie to say 'yes it IS'. Lovely message. Guess I should have expected that since that's how how the MCU rolls (see also Peter Quill/Yondu).

Peter Quill gets worse with every movie. Apparently having a stable family for 4 years and being in a relationship with arguably the most adult and responsible (until this movie) Guardian, hasn't made him grow up even in the slightest. The opposite seems to be the case. And the less said about the fiasco on Titan the better.

Nebula apparently didn't grow up either. Everyone knew that her 'go alone to kill Thanos' strategy was nonsense 4 years ago (in movie time). And why where she and Quill just standing around on Titan doing nothing while all the other were busy trying to get the glove off?

The Avengers risking their lives, half the universe and T'challa the death of all his people for a freaking Android is the kind of stupid that is baffling. They had 2 years to 'back up' Vision, should have send him to Wakanda when they took Bucky there. Rip out the damn stone and destroy it. Shut up Captain America with your 'not trading a life for anything' crap that already destroyed plenty of lives in Civil War. There is a bigger picture to consider, Jesus.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I saw it as more of clearing the stage of the new guard.  T'Challa and the rest of the newcomers will have multiple opportunities to do their thing in the future but A4 is probably the last time the original group will be anything more than supporting characters (like Tony in Spider-man) or cameos.  So it's time to get the newbies out of the way and let the folks with expiring contracts do their thing before the actors get to head off into the sunset and look forward to not spending all of their time in the gym.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

No way in hell Spider-man and Black Panther stay dead when they're only one film into their own franchise.

Sony still owns the movie rights to Spider-Man,  no way they sign off on Marvel permanently killing him off.

MVPs for me were definitely Thor (who's usually my least favorite Avenger) Dr. Strange  (I fell for him when he called Tony a douchebag) and Scarlet Witch (that's a baaaaaaaad lady!)

I was mostly annoyed with The Hulk being too scared to come out

It didn't occur to me until after I listened to a podcast discussing the movie that all of The Avengers are still alive...I thought the deaths resulting from Thanos using the stones was supposed to be random ?Clearly the endgame requires that particular team whole to work...otherwise, there's no reason Black Widow should still be alive lol

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

He doesn't mention it but clearly has it. My take is that in both Ned and May he wasn't endanger, they are his best friend and his aunt. I think he eventually would be able to detect that someone is in the room or coming, but he hadn't mastered this yet. Peter is still new to his powers.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

I think he eventually would be able to detect that someone is in the room or coming, but he hadn't mastered this yet. Peter is still new to his powers.

He's also still a kid and still growing, so I could see his powers also growing and developing over time, as he changes physiologically.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought it was clear that Peter had spidey senses and understood them when he was on the bus with his head down and they showed the close up of the hair on his arms standing up.  He looked at them with alarm and knew immediately to look outside for trouble. 

ETA:  I don't know how I missed it, but @Raja made this point before me.  Sorry! 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I thought it was clear that Peter had spidey senses and understood them when he was on the bus with his head down and they showed the close up of the hair on his arms standing up.

Yeah, it's clearly developed to some extent in IW, but didn't seem to be in SMH.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Raja said:

Peter didn't mention it but in Infinity War his hair stands on end alerting him to look up and see the starship before anyone else on the bus. It is just from 60 years of comics and 8 big movie appearances he doesn't have to mention it anymore than we need to see the spider bite or Uncle Ben getting shot again.

I  am pretty sure Shuri will be part of the scientific team with Rocket, Banner and Stark come Avengers 4.  Depending upon how the MCU is fixed in Avengers 4 the political fallout from the  Wakandan army suffering more than the rest of the world would be a jumping off point for Black Panther 2.

If the deaths are reversed, doesn't that mean that the Wakandan army will be safe, as well.  Plus, half of the populations of the countries on earth and beyond were wiped out by Thanos.  I assume that whatever happens in Avengers 4 will be part of Black Panther 2. It will be interesting to see, if T'challa gets any blowback from his subjects, for opening Wakanda's borders. Despite their technological advancements, Wakanda is very deep in it's traditions with the Black Panther, as the center of it's society. T'Challa is the absolute ruler of Wakanda.  There is no democracy.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

If the deaths are reversed, doesn't that mean that the Wakandan army will be safe, as well.

I think that will depend on what exactly is undone by the time shenanigans.  If it's just the Snapture (love that) that is undone (which is what I suspect will end up happening, give current information), the Wakandan fighters still took heavy losses before that happened. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Wynterwolf said:

I think that will depend on what exactly is undone by the time shenanigans.  If it's just the Snapture (love that) that is undone (which is what I suspect will end up happening, give current information), the Wakandan fighters still took heavy losses before that happened. 

I think that makes sense, if the fallout is the heavy loss of the army.  It could impact what will happen in Black Panther 2.  Even so, I doubt the Wakandan people will rise up against T'Challa. Their army, like any army, has been trained to die for their country.  It could be what pushes T'Challa to free W'kabi from prison. I doubt he had him killed for treason. He had the power to do so.

2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Even so, I doubt the Wakandan people will rise up against T'Challa.

Yeah, definitely agree.  I think the country would have understood the circumstances and would have supported T'Challa' choices.  

2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm interested to see who takes power in Wakanda immediately, following the dusting. Shuri or M'baku?

That's a good question, but I wonder if we will even see that.  That's part of the issue for me with trying to speculate (which I usually enjoy the hell out of)... I usually need some sort of frame work to extrapolate from, but here there's basically nothing that is set up.  Just that time travel will be involved (which makes literally anything possible), and the Snapture will be undone, either in part or in it's entirety.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, anna0852 said:

I'm interested to see who takes power in Wakanda immediately, following the dusting. Shuri or M'baku?

I could see Shuri refusing the throne and M'baku taking it as King. The problem will be that there is no Black Panther, to protect the country, since Killmonger  destroyed the heart-shape herb.  Unless, Bast grows more. 

I hope that Nakia is pregnant. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I saw it as more of clearing the stage of the new guard.  T'Challa and the rest of the newcomers will have multiple opportunities to do their thing in the future but A4 is probably the last time the original group will be anything more than supporting characters (like Tony in Spider-man) or cameos.  So it's time to get the newbies out of the way and let the folks with expiring contracts do their thing before the actors get to head off into the sunset and look forward to not spending all of their time in the gym.

I agree with this--it's not a coincidence that all of the characters earmarked to be in the next-gen Avengers group (as well as all the Guardians except Rocket) got dusted while the original team miraculously all beat the odds. With Steve, Natasha, Thor, and Bruce all together on Earth with Clint presumably just a phone call away (unless he got dusted, I suppose, but somehow I doubt that...), they just have to find a way to Tony and the original band will be back together. I do suspect Marvel has set up A4 as one big last send-off for the core Phase 1 characters before they phase at many of them out, turn them into supporting/cameo characters, or just have them feature in standalone movies that aren't really relevant to the next slate of Avengers team-up movies (if a Black Widow movie ever actually happens, for example, I could see it being a standalone; Marvel, you would get SO MUCH of my money if you did a standalone Steve/Nat/Sam/Wanda movie about them being on the run and fighting bad guys).

Which is fine with me--this movie was too much Spiderman and Dr. Strange, too little Cap and Black Widow for me, so I welcome a clearing-of-the-decks for the original team one last time. It's funny to think that we haven't seen them all truly together since Age of Ultron!

Whoever coined the "Snapture," you are a GENIUS.

It was the same writers that did Civil War, a movie filled with stupid writing just to get the conflicts and action scenes going, so I should have expected nothing to be better in IW.

I didn't realize that the same writers did CACW and IW, but that explains a lot about this movie.

• Love 1
(edited)

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Crushes $200M China Bow To Cross $1B Overseas; #5 WW Release Ever On $1.6B+

Avengers: Infinity War crushed it in China this weekend. With a $200M (RMB 1.266B) debut, the Disney/Marvel movie becomes the 2nd biggest industry three-day bow (local currency) behind The Fate Of The Furious. That helped push the Anthony and Joe Russo juggernaut across the $1B mark at the international box office with $1.059B to date. The estimated global cume through Sunday is $1,606.8M.

The worldwide figure makes Infinity War the biggest MCU title ever, passing The Avengers. The superpowered threequel is now the No. 5 global release of all time.

The worldwide weekend was worth a staggering $343.1M which was mega-fueled by China where the Avengers collected enough stones to already exceed the entire runs of The Avengers, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3. They also rep the No. 9 western release of all time in the Middle Kingdom after just three days.

Elsewhere the movie was No. 1 again domestically and No. 1 in the majority of offshore markets. Cap’n’crew’s overseas total further moves them to No. 5 on the all-time international release chart.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

...they just have to find a way to Tony and the original band will be back together.

I think they have already solved how to get Tony back to Earth. Didn't Nebula call someone and told them to meet her on Titan just before she left Thanos' ship? So it probably won't take long till they are all back together.

I didn't realize that the same writers did CACW and IW, but that explains a lot about this movie.

I thought it was common knowledge. Guess not. But it's the same writers, yes. Which for me spelled nothing good but probably not for others, seeing as CW is beloved by most.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 2

Markus & McFeely also wrote CA: The First Avenger & CA: The Winter Soldier so they can write a cohesive screenplay. CACW & IW are what happens when you cram too many characters into a film. You end up with set/action pieces tenuously strung together at the expense of character development/exploration.

38 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

This movie was also very much a Part I (despite their protestations), so I won't be able to fully judge it until we see Part II.  It was never intended to stand on it's own.  

If Feige, the Russo brothers etc. hadn't spend all of this time insisting that the movie is it's own thing, that's it's not Part 1 of a 2-parter, then I might agree. But since they did, the movie has to be judged as a self-contained story and not a Part 1. Can't have it both ways IMO.

4 minutes ago, Smad said:

If Feige, the Russo brothers etc. hadn't spend all of this time insisting that the movie is it's own thing, that's it's not Part 1 of a 2-parter, then I might agree.

Heh.  They lied.  ;-)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Wynterwolf said:

Heh.  They lied.  ;-)

Then I can sue them for false advertisement. Yay me. So clearly, it is it's own movie and should be judged as such.

25 minutes ago, scriggle said:

You end up with set/action pieces tenuously strung together at the expense of character development/exploration.

Isn't that how it should be for a huge cross over like this? They had 16 solo movies to do character development and exploration.  I'm fine with the big cross over being mostly action. The fact that they got as many character moments as they did is impressive. 

• Love 14
(edited)

It was certainly a discrete 2 1/2 hour chunk of time and can be judged as such.  But I have a feeling that we need what happens in Ant Man and the Wasp, and Captain Marvel to inform what happens in A4 when we come back to what happens next from IW.  If there is a 5 year time jump, then I can understand them 'advertising' this as a separate entity, but it's still a piece of an ongoing narrative, much like any other multi-part movie series about the same characters. 

And for me, CA: The First Avenger is now one of my favorite movies in the MCU, but I didn't think much of it when I first saw it.  My feelings about it took a complete 180 after seeing CA:WS.  Now I pretty much view CA:TFA, CA:WS and CA:CW as a trilogy, but that's my personal view.  I strongly suspect my feelings about this movie will also be dramatically impacted after I see AM&TW, CM and A4.  Right now I just feel like they pressed a big ol' pause button and we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  YMMV.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3