Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Family Ties

• Start Topic

letter-c.png

I thought for a while this one had promise, and it was the episode that would make me think this show is- finally- back on track.

...but the ending felt rushed and the pieces again fell a little too easily into place for President Mary Sue.

I'll give the show this much- at least Mary Sue now has to deal with his son's frustration that he "can't have a normal life". Which I guess means that Mary Sue wasn't all victories this week...but Leo lamenting the loss of his "normal life" should have been a S1 storyline.

Heck, the family having to adjust to their new reality should have been addressed in S1. So add that to the list of storylines this show has completely glossed over.

The Case of the Week was a retread of a very real political story. The 2016 Turkish coup against President Recep Tayyip Erodgan was very real and almost successful. In the aftermath, Erodgan arrested thousands of army officials and judges and put them on (show) trials for treason and basically used the coup as an excuse to expand his power, which came after a Turkish referendum earlier this year.

Erodgan very pointedly fingered Fetalleh Gullen, who's a Pennsylvanian, as the coup's ringmaster (all the coup participants were Gullenists), but Gullen- who I think is right- stated Erodgan staged the coup as an attempt to increase his own powers. An anti-Erodgan demonstration greeted the Turkish President when he visited the U.S., and a member of Erodgan's security detail came under fire for shoving a protester.

Just like Leo did.

So invoking Leo was a twist on that plot and one that worked for a while- this is the best I've seen Tanner Buchanan all series- and it put the President in a really tough spot. For a while I thought he'd actually extradite Nuri Shahin and we'd again see the President forced to make a really tough decision. Then the President decided to use Shahin as leverage and, while it worked, the conclusion still felt rushed and forced.

I'm also not sure a dictatorial-minded Fatih Turan would give one whit about an election he'll do everything he can to rig, if not find a way to outright cancel. Turan had no reason to give in, I'm not sure why he did.

In any case, this battle with Turan could have easily taken a few episodes. It was certainly that complex.

As for Hannah's case- perhaps I should have figured the aide with the "surprise reveal she's a lesbian" (which was a bit of an eye-roller in of itself) was the one who killed the British official and not Cornelius Moss, because Moss was being set up way too easily as the culprit. Oh well- great to see Moss again, even if it was brief. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

• Love 7

I'm still waiting for the moment where Chuck snaps and punches Damian in the face. I thought tonight would do it. Damian'is leaning over his shoulder eating chips. That's just rude and an invasion of personal space. He's also with the woman he's had the hots for and he shows little to no appreciation for what he does. You know it's coming. 

2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

As for Hannah's case- perhaps I should have figured the aide with the "surprise reveal she's a lesbian" (which was a bit of an eye-roller in of itself) was the one who killed the British official and not Cornelius Moss, because Moss was being set up way too easily as the culprit. Oh well- great to see Moss again, even if it was brief. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

I'm glad it wasn't Cornelius Moss too. I didn't think it was him either, but he didn't do himself any favors by obstructing the investigation. 

• Love 11

During the previews of this episode shown moments before it began and therefore out of context, I LOLed when Kirkman/Keifer roared about the Turkish president messing with Kirkman's family, "He has no idea what I'm capable of!" because it made me think, "I guess Turkey's Prez has never seen 24."

But then during the previews for next week, I just sighed at the line about "could be the worst event since 9/11" since this meant to me that the show really has de facto retconned that the initial premise of the show was that the capital and the congress were blown up.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I LOLed when Kirkman/Keifer roared about the Turkish president messing with Kirkman's family, "He has no idea what I'm capable of!" because it made me think, "I guess Turkey's Prez has never seen 24."

Kiefer yelling is one on the few times this show comes alive.

I’ve decided that the first few Seasons of VEEP and DS occupy the same universe. On VEEP we never see the POTUS, and on DS we never see the VEEP.

• Love 5

At this point, I am actively rooting for something bad to happen to the First Lady and First children. They need to be off the show ASAP. My family and I hooted with laughter when it was revealed that Leo's girlfriend was a plant - that was awesome!! And Leo is just NOW realizing that his life will never be normal? Seriously? 

No follow up on Emily and Seth's kiss. Which is alright, I guess. Why must everyone be paired off like Noah's Ark? 

I'm glad Moss didn't kill that woman and I hope he's back soon, I like him and I like the relationship he has with the President.

• Love 5

but Leo lamenting the loss of his "normal life" should have been a S1 storyline.

It took Leo this long to get his face out of his phone?

I'm still waiting for the moment where Chuck snaps and punches Damian in the face.

Who are Chuck and Damian? If you refer to characters by the actors' previous roles, please provide some context for viewers who did not see the previous shows.

I LOLed when Kirkman/Keifer roared about the Turkish president messing with Kirkman's family, "He has no idea what I'm capable of!" because it made me think, "I guess Turkey's Prez has never seen 24."

I said, "Here's your hacksaw, Jack."

• Love 7

I thought this episode was just awful. The First Family bores me to tears, and the fact that the girlfriend was a plant was just all kinds of ludicrous. And they just stroll into a protest with their SS protectors? Sure, totally plausible. I can't stand Hannah and the Brit - they just don't seem a fit, and the actress who plays Hannah actually acts very badly when she has scenes with him. Still can't stand Lyor. I may be out. Just too tedious.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Driad said:

It took Leo this long to get his face out of his phone?

Who are Chuck and Damian? If you refer to characters by the actors' previous roles, please provide some context for viewers who did not see the previous shows.

I said, "Here's your hacksaw, Jack."

Chuck and Damian are the two helping Hannah on this show-Those are  the current names of their characters

• Love 4

I actually liked seeing Leo again, Tanner was the best he’s been all season imo (and the thing with his girlfriend was interesting (not saying he should be a main cast member or anything, just thought he was good last night) 

glad president moss wasn’t actually involved. I wasn’t expecting that ending. Again just too many storylines moving too fast, wish they would stop that

The most interesting thing is seeing the First Lady dig herself deeper and deeper into a hole. Feeling like she’s somehow been connected to this all along and just playing dumb. Would make for a good plot twist if she did

Like other people have pointed out Im waiting for Chuck to loose it on Damian

The Hannah and Damian scene..? That came out of nowhere; I don’t know if there’s real chemistry between them. Give chuck a shot and send Damian back where he came from

cant wait for next weeks episode

• Love 4

This show is really becoming boring, which is too bad. I will say this, I totally enjoyed the Jack Bauer "son of a bitch" moment. That was almost worth the stupid story line.  I only watch it because I am in love with Kiefer Sutherland. ? I wanted this year to be great for Kiefer, damn it! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

@shapeshifter and @Driad can come over to my house to watch next week's epsiode.

I'll be there!  Red wine OK?

During the commercials we can write a fanfic in which Jack Bauer has a nightmare that he is suddenly POTUS.

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I've never trusted FLOTUS and would be delighted if she's been bad all along.

You won't mind if we throw a few items at your TV, right?

• Love 2
On 11/16/2017 at 6:20 AM, shapeshifter said:

But then during the previews for next week, I just sighed at the line about "could be the worst event since 9/11" since this meant to me that the show really has de facto retconned that the initial premise of the show was that the capital and the congress were blown up.

Yup. I actually stopped watching after the first episode this season but caught that line when turning on the news. How can he say with a straight face that it could be the next 9/11 when he's only in office because of what essentially WAS the next 9/11???

• Love 10

I really enjoyed this episode. It was running on all cylinders, though I agree with those who thought the Turkish plot could have arced through a few more episodes.

Loved seeing the Bauer in Kirkman come out. Glad that Moss wasn't the killer, and, yeah, if I were Chuck, I'd have been all "back off with those chips, dude." I felt bad for Leo, though they've left the "I don't have a normal life" realization a little late. I still want Kimble!

• Love 1

I was all set to hate this episode, given that one of the storylines would revolve around the son.  But I actually liked it, and felt it was one of the better episodes this season.  Kirkman needs to get his angry on more often.  I sort of wish it had happened in a semi-public forum, or where he could be easily overheard, so other people would realize that he's not always the mild mannered doormat president. 

I thought the premise behind the son's girlfriend being a foreign plant was a bit ridiculous.  Yeah, she's a kid, but I would assume anyone who would have that close access to the President would have some sort of background check done before being let into the Oval Office.  

So now they can shut the kids back in the closet for the next 4-5 episodes. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I thought the premise behind the son's girlfriend being a foreign plant was a bit ridiculous.  Yeah, she's a kid, but I would assume anyone who would have that close access to the President would have some sort of background check done before being let into the Oval Office. 

I thought it was ridiculous that a kid would be a spy.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought it was ridiculous that a kid would be a spy.

Really? When she went to the bathroom, I thought she was planting a bug or something.

Ridiculous by real life standards, maybe, but utterly predictable for TV.

• Love 1

Oh, hey, Leo's back for a bit.  Talk about a character I wasn't exactly clamoring for his return.  Actually, he wasn't as bad this time around, but I still rolled my eyes over how his "assault" and his girlfriend managed to be connected to the Turkey conflict.  Of course the whole thing was pretty silly, but it at least led to Kiefer Sutherland yelling at people, which is really one of the best things about this series.

So, the whole ambassador death thing ended up being a simply case of her assistant being in love with her and jealous that she wouldn't return her feelings.  Talk about taking "she's just not into you" way too hard!  At least Moss was innocent, even if he really didn't do himself any favors with the secrets and dodging.  Hope he isn't gone for too long since Geoff Pierson is awesome (then again, the show has pretty much done away with Hookstraten.)

Damian/British dude is actually coming off like an asshole over the way he treats Chuck/computer guy.  But of course he's sticking around in order for him and Hannah to continue to have sexy times.

I swear, the noisy reporter Seth/Kirkman had to deal with looked almost just as young as the one over on CBS' Salvation.  It's like they're going straight from high school to the press core.

Is Adan Canto busy doing something else too, because it feels like there has been way less Aaron this season, which does not make me happy.

Anytime they go to Alex and her mother's story, I just walk away wondering why am I suppose to feel like Forstell is the bad guy here.  By all accounts, it doesn't look like it's personal or he's trying to make a name for himself, but just doing his damn job with the facts that he is given.  But the way it's framed and written, I feel like I'm suppose to think he's a dick.  Which, yeah, nine times out of ten, Reed Diamond characters are, but there is always that exception!

Taking a break next week for Turkey Day, and it looks like they're hoping more people will watch after by having an episode that has a lot of shooting and blowing shit up.  Why not, I guess?

• Love 2
On 11/20/2017 at 0:56 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Which, yeah, nine times out of ten, Reed Diamond characters are, but there is always that exception!

Even Det. Kellerman turned out to be bad....He is the American James Frain...

I am so frustrated with this show right now. It was flawed last season, but it had so much potential. This season it's hardly the same show. Dropping Aaron/Emily made no sense. Dragging Secretary Moss into Hannah's storyline was stupid. Not sure how I feel about Damian or the fact that Hannah and him are suddenly together. There is a congress, why is there still no vice president? The last several episodes have been so boring.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, paigow said:

Waiting until First Lady & Her Mother are written out....

If only real life difficult people could just be "written out"—but then I guess there's only room for a select few on a mission to Mars. So I wonder where they're planning to stash the FLOTUS and the FMILOTUS? Won't the show get canceled before that actually happens?

No cancellation. The actress got a better role on a different show...she is definitely being written out. Kiefer [as producer] killed off his TV wives / girlfriends throughout the many seasons / days of 24. Connie Britton is the only survivor that comes to mind....

ETA: Audrey Raines suffered the most...Jack tortured her husband - who was eventually killed - tried to rescue Jack in China and was turned into a catatonic zombie for her trouble...had a full recovery...THEN got killed....

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2

Finally...the show has added the secret ingredient, the magic actor...that it needed all along...a whiny, entitled, annoying teen!
The show has followed the brilliant lead of The Affair which has the reigning star of whiny teens...Whitney.
The Prez's son has a long way to go, but there is a lot of room for him to act like an idiot and spread headaches all over the script.

I'm reading these posts because I tried watching this season but didn't even make it thru the first episode.  It wasn't the same show, and the plot was boring.  Immediately took it off my scheduled DVR.  I loved the first season and couldn't wait to see it again, only to be really disappointed.  So, after reading about the episodes, doesn't seem like I missed much.