Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 11/13/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday:
Whoopi Goldberg's birthday with a performance by Andra Day, Common and Baltimore's Cardinal Shehan School choir; Jenifer Lewis (ABC's "black-ish"; author "The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir"); "Whoopi's Favorite Things"

Tuesday:
Mary J. Blige ("Mudbound"); "View Your Deal" with hottest items at affordable prices

Wednesday:
Comedian and filmmaker Hari Kondabolu ("The Problem With Apu")

Thursday:
Tyler Perry (author, "Higher Is Waiting"); John Ridley ("Let It Fall")

Friday:
Bob Saget ("Zero to Sixty")

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like Common and Andra Day and a few of the other guests this week.

And Meghan McCain actually spoke out against Trump, wow. I mean she didn't say his name but when they were talking about his comments over the weekend about our intelligence agencies being "political hacks," she clearly was bothered by it. 

I still can't believe this man, the President of The United States, was in another country badmouthing our intelligence agencies and saying he believed Putin when he said he didn't interfere with our elections. How embarrassing.

I love Common and I was so happy that he won an Oscar for his music years ago with John Legend. I refuse to watch the show due to the movie star's birthday today.  I will read about the show on here..

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I love Common and I was so happy that he won an Oscar for his music years ago with John Legend. I refuse to watch the show due to the movie star's birthday today.  I will read about the show on here..

I love Common, too! 

Yeah, the birthday episodes are kind of annoying. I get why they do them but still.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'll be DVRing Tuesday's episode.  Mary J. Blige is getting huge Oscar buzz for her performance in the movie Mudbound.

Interesting, maybe I will as well...

Yeah, the birthday episodes are kind of annoying. I get why they do them but still.

I don't, say happy birthday and move on! 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

Whoopie is an egotist and I don't need to see everybody give her a tongue bath..

Yeah, everyone kisses her behind. She's legendary and I like her but sometimes when they're sucking up to her I just roll my eyes.

5 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

Interesting, maybe I will as well...

I don't, say happy birthday and move on! 

LOL I mean I guess they do those episodes to show appreciation for the hosts and I get it, but maybe they should cut it down to just one segment when it's someone's birthday. Even that would probably be annoying but it'd be better than an entire episode.

• Love 3

I like Whoopi and have since her Broadway show when I first saw her (video).  I have no problem with her.  

I hate birthday shows but this one has had come content so far. I am only a few minutes in though.    

I will tell you what I don't like beyond MM is the guy who signals the audience to scream and oh and aw over products, food on the table included.  All shows have that person but this show is over the top in audience reaction.  

• Love 4

I enjoyed the performance with Andra, Common, and the kids. In fact most of the show was fine except for the commercial for Whoopi's tacky sweaters.  I'd still like to know how much Whoopi donates to charity with the sales of the sweaters. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6

When Whoopie was giving away the products she was showing and got to her $90 sweaters, I honestly thought she was going to skip right over the give away part.  I wonder if the gift cards given from Zappos's need to be spent on her nasty sweaters.

• Love 1

Didn't they tease that they were going to talk about Louis CK's apology?  They only managed the one topic I think, and it was pretty much Elsa having a meltdown.  I don't know why this bothers her about Trump but so many other things she ignores or invokes whataboutism.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I like Whoopi and have since her Broadway show when I first saw her (video).  I have no problem with her.  

I hate birthday shows but this one has had come content so far. I am only a few minutes in though.    

I will tell you what I don't like beyond MM is the guy who signals the audience to scream and oh and aw over products, food on the table included.  All shows have that person but this show is over the top in audience reaction.  

Oh I like her, too. Maybe it's just the birthday shows in general that annoy me.

I agree about the audience screaming. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

And Meghan McCain actually spoke out against Trump, wow. I mean she didn't say his name but when they were talking about his comments over the weekend about our intelligence agencies being "political hacks," she clearly was bothered by it. 

So this is the hill she's going to die on? Not the number of times he's denigrated and insulted her father? Alrightythen.

• Love 10

Knock me over and call me Josephine. I not only agreed with Meghan about how scary it is that Trump is sucking up to the world's dictators (and alienating our allies), but I admired her passion. Maybe weekends at home are good for her?

• Love 8

I agreed also, but it's a no brainer, no? To be shocked and angry at what he's been doing since before he was even the nominee, let alone President? What she was saying was nothing new. And maybe I'm in the minority, but where was this passion and anger for the deaths of the children that were killed at Sandy Hook? The church in Texas last week??? Methinks Daddy must have sat her down and had a talk with her.

And I LOOOOVE Jennifer Lewis!!!!

"There ain't no SHAME in my GAME!"

"I've been EVERYBODY'S MAMA except Joy Behar!"

"What about Whoop? Forget about Whoop. Buy my BOOK!"

??????

• Love 14
6 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I agree about the audience screaming. 

It seems that a lot of afternoon shows (geared toward women) do this.  What are they thinking with regard to their audience?  Does it make the hosts & guests feel good?  Does the studio audience feel as though they are going to have a real treat?  The screaming doesn't psych me up in the least, & I really resent being taken for a moron.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I agreed also, but it's a no brainer, no? To be shocked and angry at what he's been doing since before he was even the nominee, let alone President?

It seems like a no-brainer to me, and you, but the way Meghan went into Total Jedidiahesque Rapid-Fire Deflection Mode™ the day the indictments linking the current administration to Russia came out, I was truly shocked by her today, in a good way. I think maybe Dad talked to her about being on the wrong side of history if she continues down the path she was on. There's being a lifelong Republican, and there's being willfully obstinate.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, useryikes said:

It seems that a lot of afternoon shows (geared toward women) do this.  What are they thinking with regard to their audience?  Does it make the hosts & guests feel good?  Does the studio audience feel as though they are going to have a real treat?  The screaming doesn't psych me up in the least, & I really resent being taken for a moron.

Clapping seals. That's what we call them, well trained when the applause sign comes on..

• Love 4

One of the reasons that women are happier than men at being single is when it is the result of divorce. Men usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to divorce. They lose their house, their kids and have to pay alimony and/or child care payments. How many women would be happy if this happened to them? This definitely is a contributing factor to men's dissatisfaction at being single which nobody ever seems to mention.

Edited by mrbean5411
  • Love 3

I confess I still don't "know much about" Meghan - and I have the same "Why HER?" reaction many of you do as to her "achieving" a seat on The View except that she is Daddy's Little Girl. I just don't understand her Point of View, and her rambles and rants that intertwine her FEELINGS about being "left out" or whatever don't help. Sounds immature. Maybe I'm dense. I did guess a glimpse into what makes her tick when she was so dismayed at the allegations against - was it Moore? and she was all - "Oh, Joy you must LOVE this." And she alluded to the "heroes" she grew up admiring - the Bushes? Her father, I'm sure. It sounded like this was the FIRST TIME she had ever heard of Hanky-Panky on the Right. Joy tried to set her straight. This has been going on since forever!!

I think she put her father and all her heroes on a pedestal a long time ago, and in her mind, this was linked to being Republican and/or Conservative. In her mind, being on the Right means being right - right-minded, and that includes a strong dose of morality thrown in. She had built up mere mortals into something more. And when your heroes end up looking just as low-minded as those "looser" liberals on the Anything Goes Left, it starts to chip away at the pedestal you put under your heroes. I remember growing up and having the wool removed from my eyes, and hearing about neighbors who weren't the nicest people after all, friends who weren't friends, Priests or other religious figures that were caught doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they preached. Having your trust in someone broken. Learning about hypocrisy. Being disillusioned. Being more skeptical about what comes out of people's mouths, and watching their actions more.

Perhaps Meghan is having her eyes opened a bit more to the ugly underbelly of human nature, and it is not a political issues, unless you claim YOUR party is the Morally Superior Party. I have lived long enough to see plenty of Bad Behavior on all sides. 

I guess I just decided I don't like Meghan on The View based partly on her relative inexperience with Life. She is, as Regis Philbin used to say, The Young One.

I'd rather have ANY ONE of the frequent posters here be the fifth seat!!

• Love 17

Did everyone catch the expressions on some audience members when they learned they were going home with catnip-marijuana?   Like "I don't have a cat, WTF am I going to do with that?"

And, I was waiting for everyone to win what is really whoopi's favorite thing - that blue-,grey scarf.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeanius said:

Perhaps Meghan is having her eyes opened a bit more to the ugly underbelly of human nature, and it is not a political issues, unless you claim YOUR party is the Morally Superior Party. I have lived long enough to see plenty of Bad Behavior on all sides. 

She also made it sound like she was unhappy with what she thinks is the "new" Republican party.  If you are unhappy with what they now stand for then why are you defending them?  Plenty of people leave their party when "their party has left them".  But if MM wasn't touting the ole party line would she even get any attention?  She is following in Elisabeth Hasselbeck's footsteps of being the blond Barbie on the View.  Pull her string and she will say whatever the GOP needs her to say.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh darn, you mean I can't buy  Whoopie's trash can scarf on The  View website? Damn it.  I guess I will have to settle for one of her thrift store fat men's sized christmas sweaters instead.  Barf. 

Aren't you the lucky one...lol

13 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I think maybe Dad talked to her about being on the wrong side of history if she continues down the path she was on. There's being a lifelong Republican, and there's being willfully obstinate.

I'm wondering if her dad had a talk with her, too. Maybe someone other than her dad. Already on today's show she's said some things I agree with (shocker!). I haven't noticed many eye-rolls or any attitude towards Joy. Given how cold, dismissive and whiny she's been for the past couple weeks, this is a sigh of relief.

Side note: Has anyone noticed that she added "Ice Princess" to her twitter profile?! Elsa! :D

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 4