Type keyword(s) to search

Meghan McCain: "Both Sides" Wannabe Tough Chick

Jaded
Message added by helenamonster

You may only post about political topics as they relate to the current discussion on the show. Items from hosts' social media, speculation about their opinion on current political events, etc. are not allowed and will result in disciplinary measures.

• Start Topic

Van asks her about Joe Biden and she says OMG if he runs for Pres I am screwed, he has been friends with my father for 30 years. His son had the same cancer as her dad. She says he understands pain and trauma in a way that is unlike most people (Elsa, you should meet people in the real world, lots of pain and trauma just like what Joe Biden has endured.  She is really sheltered).  She says she disagrees with him 75% politically (really?  I would love to hear what those talking points are).  She respects him, and if he runs, she will have to quit being a "political commentator" because she couldn't say anything negative about him, it would be too hard.  Wait, Elsa, aren't you the one who embodies civility and decency?  Why would you have to be negative?  She is such a puzzle.

Van concludes by telling her she is a part of one of the greatest American families, and Elsa, in her AZ valley voice (I know, how is that possible), says: thonk yaa, Ah aam so prawd.

Edited by bannana
punctuation and grammar
  • Love 18

Thank you for the summaries @bannana. Reading them was a much better alternative to watching.

I wasn't planning on watching because I didn't want MM to ruin my Olympic watching tonight with her attitude and disposition. 

She didn't say anything we haven't really heard before. Just more nonsense and double talk.

• Love 9
Just now, Medicine Crow said:

Me too!!!  I couldn't bring myself to watch the show & from what I've read, I'm glad I didn't.

As I predicted yesterday, full of fluff and no hard-hitting questions. There was nothing of substance revealed during this interview. 

12 minutes ago, bannana said:

Van asks her about Joe Biden and she says OMG if he runs for Pres I am screwed, he has been friends with my father for 30 years.

This has been discussed so many times. I think Joy asked her on The View, then Stephen Colbert and now Van Jones. I guess they don’t have much else to ask her.

• Love 7

MM was all word salad and I think the worst part of it all was Van and his OTT introduction which was just rediculous.

IMO, I think MM hates CNN probably as much as, she says, The New York Slimes.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 7

She clearly likes this format better, with the tongue baths, and full latitude to blather on.

I was a bit surprised that she didn't say what I think she meant to say when Joy shut her down on Friday, which is that "as a Repub, she was offended" and I think her point was going to be that she was offended that the WH is covering for domestic abuse.  But then I wonder, because surely they would have covered that in the pre-meeting, so Joy wouldn't have jumped on it.  I am guessing Joy was so pissed at Elsa lecturing Joy and the audience, that she just didn't give a shit.

She def threw shade at Joy about being called a racist.  Which she pretty much admitted to when she said that Trump is ginning up the base, re race, and then she said that Repubs have to support Trump.  Why doesn't she get that point?

• Love 11

MM on Van Jones cannot, for the life of her, form a concise, coherent sentence.

There was a significant huh? word salad from her in the beginning regarding her dad and Trump and her being glad her dad did not run against Trump (?) cuz of his cancer, it wd be too hard.  I think???  Another nonsensical example re Van bringing up DACA and the lazy asses comment of John Kelly:MM says,  "I come from a border state, whether you like it or not. "  So???? 

Van then said that "on the View, they're basically implying that you're racist and the audience is mean."  Wow, even the audience got shit on.

MM is not happy that ALL Repubs are painted as racists, which takes away from real racism [sic]. She also "quoted" Jon Stewart, of all people, that: "He knows good people who are not scared of of Black men or Brown men.  They're afraid of their insurance premiums going up."  No explanation. Just weirdly disjointed comments. Even Van looked askance at that. Interesting that she didn't quote any of her beloved Repubs. 

No shade on Joy. She mentioned Sunny's fear for her son at the Trump  shithole comments which opened her eyes to some of the pain of racism. 

Mercifully, Van interrupted her monologues several times to clarify/ask another question/scratch his head. Van also french-kissed her ass totally in the intro and welcome saying she embodies, "decency,  civility, and sanity much needed in the country today".  Who is he talking about?  Mother Teresa is on the show? 

She, I mean, actually her dad, got a few smatterings of applause here and there. 

The gist of the conversation was 90% "your dad", "your family", "my father",  and 10 % abt MM. She used the terms,  tribal and incindiary, repeatedly.

When asked what conservatives need to do,  MM waffled and kept saying Trumpism is the way it is and did not think it would go away. Even Van was sad that she's accepted the status quo. For someone who rabidly defends the Repubs on the View, she kind of threw them under the bus.  MM also said her dad was the third most hated Repub WITHIN the party. Jeff Flake is #1. IDK if they mentioned #2. 

Superficial note: her dress highlighted her back fat above her spanx and there were many shots of her back to focus on Van.

Sorry that this summary is out of order; I was trying to listen and take notes. Strange, subdued, Trump-thumping performance, although her slippery grasp of the English language was evident.  

Edited by Tosia
It was hawd to watch and even hawder to understand. .
  • Love 11

When Van Jones played that clip of Meghan’s dad taking away the microphone from the lady who called Obama an Arab, saying John McCain was standing up for “the best of America,” it made me think of Antonio Sabato’s comments on The View and how Meggy didn’t join Sunny and Joy in challenging his claims that Obama is a Muslim. Van Jones talked about courage on his show and in that moment on The View, Meggy showed how much courage she lacks. I know we’ve discussed this ad nauseum on the actual thread about that segment but that’s all I could think about as the clip played.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, bannana said:

She says it is challenging to learn how to speak to the most extreme liberals she has ever met in her life (oh, FFS, really?). TBC

And she had said on Colbert, that she never knew people could be as liberal as Joy. 

Clearly, Meghan's world contains only people who think just like her.   Because Whoopi and Joy are not "extreme" liberals, by any means.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, bannana said:

I was a bit surprised that she didn't say what I think she meant to say when Joy shut her down on Friday, which is that "as a Repub, she was offended" and I think her point was going to be that she was offended that the WH is covering for domestic abuse.  But then I wonder, because surely they would have covered that in the pre-meeting, so Joy wouldn't have jumped on it.  I am guessing Joy was so pissed at Elsa lecturing Joy and the audience, that she just didn't give a shit.

Yeah, it would be great if she was offended that the White House was covering for domestic abuse.  I'm afraid, though, that she was offended "as a republican"  that all republicans are being judged for the actions of a few.  which brings me to...

2 hours ago, Tosia said:

MM is not happy that ALL Repubs are painted as racists, which takes away from real racism [sic]

Like domestic abuse, racism is a real problem.  But it's not just about the hardcore violent racists.  The real problem in the republican party is that policies are based on racism, and the republicans are only too happy to look the other way, to ignore the racism, which is the same as endorsing it.  Just  like the treatment of women.  the problem isn't JUST the Repubs who beat women, the REAL problem is that people in power are OK with it.   Trump is a racist and a misogynist.  But the issue is that people around him accept that as the new normal. 

Meghan feels people called her a racist?  I'm not sure anyone did.  Some Republicans are racist.  Others are OK with allowing racism to go unchecked. Meghan only saw the offense in trump's words when someone (Sunny)  who isn't white explained it to her.  so yeah,  she's racist. 

Or - In better words: 

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, backformore said:

And she had said on Colbert, that she never knew people could be as liberal as Joy. 

Clearly, Meghan's world contains only people who think just like her.   Because Whoopi and Joy are not "extreme" liberals, by any means.  

I would like to hear Meghan's definition of liberal.

• Love 11

Regarding the racism discussed  on the View and Van Jones: You said it so much better, backformore.

I hope someone gets a chance to school MM on this topic because she is clueless, like most entitled white people.  I think Van saw that too, but he wants to play both sides (parties) for the show, and let her blather on.  

When the View discusses racism again, and they will, I wonder if Joy will bring up bystanders in Germany during, WWII who didn't question the treatment of Jews. She knows her history.  

Van was effusive and enthusiastic  in his praise of the second guest,  Eagles football player,  Melvin Jenkins,  who is proactive in working with law enforcement for social justice. Too bad MM wasn't on WITH him. It would have been fucking AWESOME to watch MM's head explode as Melvin explains racism and the real reasons why football players kneeled during the national anthem. 

MM just doesn't get it.  As other posters said before, she takes the View comments personally and gets pissed. And then her brain stops processing to go into defense mode. This is why MM is horrible on the View. Not that she is a "lone Republican", because we know that Ana does a fine job. 

Someone needs to ask MM WHY--if she's not a racist or does care abt domestic abuse--that she is going along with deranged Trumpism.   It would have to be Sunny or Whoopi because her immature pea brain has relegated Joy's comments to immediate  tween snotty retort/eye roll.  I wonder if Joy reminds her of her mother. 

Edited by Tosia
It's trying to have to explain the basics of inequality to entitled white girls determined to hang onto their privilege.
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Tosia said:

MM on Van Jones cannot, for the life of her, form a concise, coherent sentence.

She can't & not just on Van Jones.  How is this idiot a commentator??  How?  How?  Oh, daddy?

10 hours ago, bannana said:

She clearly likes this format better, with the tongue baths, and full latitude to blather on.

She DOES like to be admired!

10 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Thank you very much, @Bannana. I was not going to watch her tonight..

Thanks from me, too.  Don't have the stomach to look at her (on The View, either).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Someone needs to ask MM WHY--if she's not a racist or does care abt domestic abuse--that she is going along with deranged Trumpism.   It would have to be Sunny or Whoopi because her immature pea brain has relegated Joy's comments to immediate  tween snotty retort/eye roll.  I wonder if Joy reminds her of her mother. 

Yes.  If Meghan finds so much of what Trump stands for and endorses how can she support him?  It's a legitimate question.  

And it's interesting to me that she said her dad bemoans the tribalism that has taken over politics but she uses that term in what sounds to me in a positive way.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Yes.  If Meghan finds so much of what Trump stands for and endorses how can she support him?  It's a legitimate question.  

Pedophiles?  Wife beaters?  When is enough enough, Meghan?

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, Orillia said:

That was the best ass kissing I've seen in a long time. I thought Van was about to nominate her for sainthood.

I watched too and agree with what everyone has said, and was coming here to say just this.  What was Van told?  Or is he really able to look past what we see and think she is all that.  Did he ever watch a few episodes of The View?  Oy.  She is a pretty woman and needs a new stylist.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Wow. I've lost a lot of respect for Van Jones.

He was close to redemption but he's shown himself to be a true flip-flopper & someone why says what he thinks people want to hear.  Too bad ... I really liked him!!!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

He was close to redemption but he's shown himself to be a true flip-flopper & someone why says what he thinks people want to hear.  Too bad ... I really liked him!!!

It's really too bad, I wonder what caused this change?

• Love 2

What I don't understand is how or why this Meghan McCain girl is making her rounds on the talk show circuit. What has she done that makes her opinion important at all? The only reason people like Stephen Colbert and Van Jones are interviewing her is because her last name happens to be McCain.

Also, I don't think POC want to hear what a privileged white girl thinks about racism.   

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

What I don't understand is how or why this Meghan McCain girl is making her rounds on the talk show circuit. What has she done that makes her opinion important at all?

The problem with Meghan is that she is boring & humorless.  Very disappointing that Jones & Colbert and giving her a forum.  She brings nothing.

• Love 10

The ratings have been steadily rising season-to-season since Joy Behar came back in 2015 and they put a relatively stable panel in place, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. But it's not because of you, Meghan, sorry!

Edited by TheGreenKnight
* For some reason I wrote 2018.
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The ratings have been steadily rising season-to-season since Joy Behar came back in 2018 and they put a relatively stable panel in place, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. But it's not because of you, Meghan, sorry!

THIS. Plus, that's The Washington TIMES. 'nuff said.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Meghan retweeted this yesterday from a Washington Times article:

After outspoken conservative Meghan McCain joined "The View," ABC's daytime talk show notched its best ratings in three seasons.

Can anyone confirm this?

It seems really tacky to toot your own horn.

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I think a lot of viewers are watching now for Mt St Meghan to erupt. Bigly.

I recall a few years ago, watching in anticipation of a Bitsy meltdown. It's a similar situation now. 

I rarely watch in real time, though. I can't sit through all those ads.

• Love 7

MM is exposing her self- centeredness bolstered by her last name. 

IMHO, I don't think her nasty temperament and un-civil,  ill-mannered rudeness to those who disagree  should qualify as sparks, but very weak attempts to defend the indefensible with deflection via personal attacks. 

Horrible human being. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Why is Meghan McCain referred to as Elsa ?

There was a story (unverified, I believe) that staffers at The View behind the scenes call her The Ice Queen because she's a cold person.  Meghan tweeted about it with a line from Frozen "The cold never bothered me anyway."

After all of Meg's defense of Mike Pence this week, I really want to shake her.

One of her very best, ride-or-die BFF's (I know, she's got so many) is a GAY MAN! I haven't heard Clay Aiken's opinions on Pence, but would she suggest Clay meet with him, knowing how Pence feels about people who are LGBTQ? If so, she sucks as a friend.

• Love 14
22 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The ratings have been steadily rising season-to-season since Joy Behar came back in 2015 and they put a relatively stable panel in place, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. But it's not because of you, Meghan, sorry!

She's probably trying to become a legend on The View - in her own mind, anyway. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

The thing that makes no sense about Meghan’s comment is that Whoopi is just as liberal as Joy. The only different is Joy is more vocal about her parsianship.

They are both vocally anti-Trump.  And they both espouse so-called liberal perspectives.  So I think it is odd that Elsa finds Joy to be the most extreme liberal ever.

• Love 4

Reference to producers calling MM Elsa appeared in an article in The Daily Mail:

Meghan's demeanor has also caused her to gain a reputation on set with producers secretly referring to her as 'Elsa,' the lead character from the film Frozen, as a play off the fact that everyone finds her cold and distant from her colleagues and the staff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5059447/Meghan-McCain-micknamed-Elsa-Frozen-View.html#ixzz576B9j0yN

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 4

I didn't see most of today's show, but after reading the highlights, OMG, WHY IS SHE KISSING UP TO MIKE PENCE??!!1??. Maybe she's hoping to be member of his cabinet someday, but her constant sucking up to him is disgusting. And it's not just recent. she's been defending him since the day she started appearing on the show.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

I didn't see most of today's show, but after reading the highlights, OMG, WHY IS SHE KISSING UP TO MIKE PENCE??!!1??. Maybe she's hoping to be member of his cabinet someday, but her constant sucking up to him is disgusting. And it's not just recent. she's been defending him since the day she started appearing on the show.

I think Meghan's husband has a lot to do with this. 

• Love 7