Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Sal's Dead

A dead body is discovered in the store on Halloween, throwing Glenn and Dina into a panic, and confusing the shoppers. Meanwhile, Amy and Garrett get into big trouble using a dating app on Jonah's phone.

They outdid last year's episode with the costumes.

Amy as Selena made my year. And her nametag said Selena, heh. I was about to roll my eyes when Kelly said she thought she was J.Lo, then remembered she played her in the Selena movie, so technically she was right. And went right back to the eyeroll at the Selena Gomez line.

Dina WOULD wear the same costume as last year.  I loved Mateo's adorable milkman costume! And Glenn as the cowardly lion! Brett in lederhosen! Jonah out-doing his own pretentiousness, although I didn't think it was as clever as last year's Brexit.

Nice touch bumping off Sal, another background character who had some lines but was by no means likeable. So gross! If they redid the building, why on earth was Sal still stuffed in there? Are they trying to say that a year has passed since the tornado? I'm confused.

Love that Cheyenne is learning special effects makeup. While I do like that Cheyenne and Mateo are paired up a lot, I really want them to be matched with others sometimes. I love Jonah/Mateo and Amy/Cheyenne.

The gag with the clown jumping at the customer had me rolling. As did Amy and Garrett freaking out at Kelly stabbing Jonah.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Sile said:

What the hell have they done to Amy?  Character assassination might be too mild of a term.

I think they've escalated her meddling up a notch, but overall I personally think they're being consistent with her characterization. Amy DOES stick her nose in where it doesn't belong or screws up to the point where it gets way out of hand. Like:

1. Hiding Marcus' thumb in the guacamole

2. Spreading the rumor that Sandra was pregnant/going to have an abortion

3. Chastising another employee for using a fake accent to sell salsa, then using one herself and forcing everyone to watch a video on racism

4. Getting Myrtle sexually harassed because she takes it upon herself to fix her up with that other old guy

I like that they make her screw up a lot. She is the straight man of the show, and usually it's a thankless role, but once in a while they make her the cause of the problem and it all comes down to the fact that she's just a busybody at heart, but still cares about her coworkers.

• Love 10

So that was a flashback episode, right? Otherwise why, as @EarlGreyTea points out, why would Sal's body still be in there after a tornado destroyed the store which was then rebuilt? Just because the show lampshades it by having Jonah suggest that the foot they found was Sal's doesn't make it all ok.

I have no issues with them making Amy flawed and even unlikeable, but my god, what boring flaws this whole will-they-won't-they shit brings out. I wished we had just gotten 20 mins of Garrett debating if he likes candy corn, or Cheyenne doing awesome gruesome makeup on kids, rather than the cliched Jonah/Amy drama. Fuck, or don't fuck; just be done with it.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 9

Garrett's assessment of candy corn being like eating a candle was great.

A costume is like a bathing suit, something you wear until it's threadbare?

I like that Cheyenne is kind of finding her competence. She was such a ditz before, but it looks like they're maturing her a bit, which makes sense given her age. Yet she still feels totally in character. She was at least the more reasonable person in that conversation with Dina, though that's damning with faint praise.

• Love 2

I wasn't under the impression that they re-built the entire store, just a significant portion of it that was damaged by the tornado, and Sal was found in an undisturbed area. But I obviously could be wrong.

Loved the episode, even though I could see the Jonah/Kelly twist coming from the minute Amy started texting her. And I liked Amy's Selena hair so much more than her regular hair, haha.

I could eat candy corn all day. Sometimes, I do...

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

I wasn't under the impression that they re-built the entire store, just a significant portion of it that was damaged by the tornado, and Sal was found in an undisturbed area. But I obviously could be wrong.

I re-watched the last bit of the season finale (it was still on my DVR). Most of the store was damaged, but there were some untouched parts. The wall next the Restrooms was still visible and intact and that's where Sal was.

Superstore posttornado.jpg

• Love 13
3 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I like that they make her screw up a lot. She is the straight man of the show, and usually it's a thankless role, but once in a while they make her the cause of the problem and it all comes down to the fact that she's just a busybody at heart, but still cares about her coworkers.

It's not the meddling and busybody stuff, it that she's becoming so mean.  My problem is that it seems that she no longer cares about her coworkers. 

Last week, she drew Myrtle's name, said it out loud and then announced a do-over.  Then she gets all the "losers" excited about a bowling date and turns them down because she only wants to hang out with the popular crowd.  Then she abandons her safety buddy Sandra to catch up with said crowd.

This week she refuses to give Jonah back his phone several times.  Which isn't the point, it's that she does it in dismissive ("I'm still playing") and demeaning ways.  She takes away the new girl's lunch hour and then decides the best course of action is to get her fired.  And it's not done in a "ha, ha" or rhetorical way, but dead serious.  She's just becoming downright cruel as opposed to 'straight man/dorm mom" that she's been portrayed as thus far.  Maybe America just can't play mean and deadpan in a fun way like Colton Dunn.

Speaking of new girl, isn't she the actress that played Alan's chiropractic assistant on Two and a Half Men?  

Edited by Sile
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Sile said:

Speaking of new girl, isn't she the actress that played Alan's chiropractic assistant on Two and a Half Men?  

Yup. That's her. Kelly Stables

20 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What was Garrett's costume?

King Jaffe Joffer (James Earl Jones) from Coming to America. 

joffer.jpg

• Love 13

Sal falling out of the wall was probably the best visual gag of the night, followed by the guy Dina thought was the coroner tossing his body into the graveyard setup. 

It's not the meddling and busybody stuff, it that she's becoming so mean.  My problem is that it seems that she no longer cares about her coworkers. 

Hmm - I recently re-watched the pilot and I can't see any difference in Amy whatsoever. She's  always been pretty cold and distant from her co-workers.

• Love 2

I love the Halloween costumes they come up with every year. They just get better and better (especially Jonahs super pretentious ones) every year. 

The visuals in this episode were making me laugh my head off. The clown jumping out at people, the body showing up, and Glenn continuously announcing that people shouldn't go near the body as more and more people run past to get towards the body. 

Of course the thing about being undocumented that would upset Mateo the most would be being unable to post those Instagram pictures of the wing of a plane to signify a vacation. I think theres an actual law requiring everyone on a plane to do that now. 

Seriously, whos foot was that?!?!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Sal falling out of the wall was probably the best visual gag of the night, followed by the guy Dina thought was the coroner tossing his body into the graveyard setup. 

Hmm - I recently re-watched the pilot and I can't see any difference in Amy whatsoever. She's  always been pretty cold and distant from her co-workers.

Newbie to these threads although I have been a watcher of the show since season one. 

I don't really see a difference much in Amy either. 

The scenes with Sal's body were the best. The dumping of the body in the graveyard setup was hysterical. 

• Love 5

No cops to come deal with a body that could have been a homicide? Coroners deal with the body AFTER the police do their investigation. 

No Sandra this episode, so I’m a little worried for her.

Jonahs “disappearing bee” costume was ironic, since I happened to be talking  with a beekeeper literally three hours ago and he assured me that the bee population has recovered well. And he’s been in the business 40 years, and he said the bee population has always been cyclic. I’m guessing Jonah doesn’t realize this though.

• Love 3

Bees are in decline in a rather dramatic fashion. It's not just cyclical. The scientific consensus is akin to the consensus on climate change in that it's not at all controversial or disputed. There may be a beekkeeper here or there who is in denial about this, but that's an outlier. Jonah may be humorless, but he's not wrong on the facts.

I think they did have an investigation re Sal, because they knew he had been there a year, and that he had starved to death. I can't remember if they showed it or not, but Dina seemed to have quite a bit of information about the story, so I don't think it was just her speculating.

• Love 12

I know this is a sitcom and I shouldn't overthink it, but how the hell did Sal starve to death without yelling for help? Those walls aren't soundproof, especially if he had a hole in the women's bathroom. Also he would have dehydrated long before he starved to death. Either way, I did enjoy the customers thinking the body was a Halloween prop.

• Love 3

neuromom: I was going to concur with @possibilities, but a search on "colony collapse disorder" pulls up a link to the EPA that says the percentage of disappearing hives has indeed dropped somewhat. It's still higher than it was, though.

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 1

I also got the impression from the episode that the cops had already been there when the body were initially found, concluded he got stuck in there himself peeping and that's who told them to wait for the coroner. So, police stuff was offscreen.

• Love 3

So far we've had an ep called 'Brett is dead" (where he was alive) and Sal's Dead ( who really is dead) are we going to get another ___________ is dead ep before the season is out?  Maybe the owner of the foot?  And by the way, was Sandra even in this ep?  I don't remember.

Given all the IRL news about sexual harassment,  I love that in the end, Sal died because of his pervy behavior with no one really missing him.

It is so funny about cultural references.  I immediately knew who Garret's costume was because everyone I know has seen 'Coming to America' and even hearing the term 'Sexy Chocolate' makes me giggle, but would have never picked out Amy's.  I don't know anything about Selena except J. Lo played her in a movie.

Of course 'Slutty Cop' on Dina loses some of the slutty.

Finally, I have not been the biggest fan of Mateo's.  I think the first ep I really liked him was the Tornado ep.  But I am enjoying his pairing with Cheyenne.  They work off each other very well together.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, wendyg said:

neuromom: I was going to concur with @possibilities, but a search on "colony collapse disorder" pulls up a link to the EPA that says the percentage of disappearing hives has indeed dropped somewhat. It's still higher than it was, though.

You are probably right! But, just in my little microcosm of the world, it does do my heart good to hear any local beekeepers or farmers give me any GOOD news. I live in a big agricultural are in a part of the country that provides large amounts of the food supply to the rest of the country. After seven years of drought, I’ll take any good news I can get!

• Love 2

Garrett's costume was the best!  

I like Mateo and Cheyenne scenes.  They are always so "out there", but funny at the same time.

The clown scaring the customers = priceless!  

I see a difference in Amy. Before she used to be a busybody, etc, but she was always still kind of in the professional zone.  This season, she just seems to be very immature.  

• Love 4

The stuff with Sal's body was absolutely hysterical, but I couldn't help but think that if a store found a dead body then the store would either be evacuated and closed or that section of the store would be closed off.

And I love that Cheyenne made someone up as Dame Edna against their will.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

And I love that Cheyenne made someone up as Dame Edna against their will.

Between that and Elias allowing the leak to keep dripping on him in a previous episode, I hope he doesn't explode at some point.

10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Of course 'Slutty Cop' on Dina loses some of the slutty.

But that's the costume that kicked off Diana's and Garrett's relationship last Halloween! I'm surprised neither if them referenced it, especially Garrett. Maybe he was drowning his memories in candy corn!

• Love 1

Garrett's right about candy corn.  Even I can't tell whether it's good or bad, but I eat it anyhow.

The clown scene scared the crap out of me.  It was still hilarious nonetheless, especially when the customer punched him.

Amy talks about dressing up as a ninja, and in the next scene somebody is wearing a ninja costume, LMAO!

I liked the father being the baby and the baby being the adult.  That was cute.

Yeah, Amy is just being downright mean to her coworkers.  I'm guessing when she officially becomes a couple with Jonah, it'll stop.

• Love 2

Easily the funniest episode this season. Mateo has another stand-out episode as does Kelly, who hasn't had much love so far.

Also Amy's hair in certain scenes is absolutely hilarious.

Edited by MBMM
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Utpe said:

Garrett's right about candy corn.  Even I can't tell whether it's good or bad, but I eat it anyhow.

It's delicious up until the point it's sickening.  And it's hard to tell when that happens because I can literally be loving it, eat one more and then feel like I'm sick and it's disgusting. 

• Love 5
On 10/29/2017 at 7:22 PM, Utpe said:

The clown scene scared the crap out of me.  It was still hilarious nonetheless, especially when the customer punched him.

Amy talks about dressing up as a ninja, and in the next scene somebody is wearing a ninja costume, LMAO!

I liked the father being the baby and the baby being the adult.  That was cute.

Yeah, Amy is just being downright mean to her coworkers.  I'm guessing when she officially becomes a couple with Jonah, it'll stop.

I am totally not for Amy and Jonah getting together......but I think the new chick and him should date and have workplace tension ;o)

The whole dead body thing creeped me out. That's one thing I don't like to see, ever.

Wouldnt a body decomposing for a year look a lot worse? and wouldnt the smell be unbearable? and the flies? and the rats? okay, I'm graphicing myself out here. ugh.

Also, I LOVED The Exes and am so glad to see "Eden" getting work.

OMG that stabbing shocked me!! I didnt realize it was a gag for a minut there. whew.

• Love 1