Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/16/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jan Levenson said:

I think it’s worth noting that Meghan McCain was absent from the interview with Woody Harrelson.  As I watched the interview, for some reason he kept reminding me of something related to John McCain.  Then I remembered that he played Steve Schmidt in the movie Game Changer.  Meghan McCain has talked about her disdain for the film on a number of occassions... here for instance:

But I just found her absence to be very apparent.  Isn’t Julianne Moore on The View this week?  She played Palin in the film, so I would be very curious to see if Meghan suddenly is backstage for her interview as well. 

(Happy first post ever to me.)

Welcome aboard!!!

• Love 6

I'm still floored over Meghan today, sigh.

But did want to say why did she point out yet again something about being there to fight with Joy? I think Joy has been nice to her, and not particularly combative. And yet another R scared to death of Whoopi. LOL.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I'm still floored over Meghan today, sigh.

But did want to say why did she point out yet again something about being there to fight with Joy? I think Joy has been nice to her, and not particularly combative. And yet another R scared to death of Whoopi. LOL.

Why are they so scared of Whoopie? Joy is so nice and does not yell or demean people.  It goes to show you that people take kindness for weakness. I used to love it how Paula used to challenge Whoopie. Whoopie would lose her mind and it was glorious...lol

• Love 11

Meghan McCain was absolutely correct about America hitting an all time low with respect to politicizing the death of a soldier.  She was in no way schooled today. She remained cool and collected as the congress woman ranted and raved. While I understand her grief, her method of displaying was inexcusable. America is so divided and it is really sad to see that bipartisanship is completely dead. It’s all about party over policy. On BOTH sides. It’s truly a shame.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Jan Levenson said:

I think it’s worth noting that Meghan McCain was absent from the interview with Woody Harrelson.  As I watched the interview, for some reason he kept reminding me of something related to John McCain.  Then I remembered that he played Steve Schmidt in the movie Game Changer.  Meghan McCain has talked about her disdain for the film on a number of occassions... here for instance:

But I just found her absence to be very apparent.  Isn’t Julianne Moore on The View this week?  She played Palin in the film, so I would be very curious to see if Meghan suddenly is backstage for her interview as well. 

It is not unusual for two   panel members  to sit out an interview  when there are two other guests on the panel.  

• Love 1

I thought MM handled the congresswoman very well. And I actually thought MM's comment was valid because I thought the same thing when the news broke. I don't think the congresswoman had any business discussing the private phone conversation with the media. When the media inquired, as the media is required to do, she should have said "that was a private conversation between Mrs Johnson and the President."

BTW, I noticed that the congresswoman never referred to Mrs Johnson by name. She referred to her as mother, the wife, she, and the widow. Never her name.

Also, she lost her cool and had come off very unprofessional, in my opinion. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Fannysue said:

It is not unusual for two   panel members  to sit out an interview  when there are two other guests on the panel.  

No, it would be far too crowded, plus I've seen Whoopi and Joy sit out.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

I don't understand why MM wants to fight with Joy. This is the second time she's poked at Joy. 

Because her only real value is in combatting someone else. She's not interesting or likable enough just showing up as herself like Sara, Joy, or Sunny are, imo. Which is probably another reason she mentions her father all the time.

4 hours ago, Fannysue said:

True, but most of the time they have everyone there for the interviews. Not that it's conducive to a good interview to have 5 people asking questions while the guests' heads whip back and forth like they're watching a tennis match. Personally, I was glad they booted her out for Harrelson and Reiner considering she ruined the Dolly interview Monday.

• Love 7

The Congress Woman brought up some very good points that have never been addressed - why were these men attacked, why no support, and why was one man found after the others. Yes, she did venture into hysterics, but she's not the only one raising questions about what happened. 

And I think MM was out of line scolding the audience.  the president was called out for telling a lie, the audience cheered.  MM can disagree, but she's not winning any favors by scolding people who come to the show.  Maybe if she says something particularly smart, the audience will cheer for her. 

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Because her only real value is in combatting someone else. She's not interesting or likable enough just showing up as herself like Sara, Joy, or Sunny are, imo. Which is probably another reason she mentions her father all the time.

True, but most of the time they have everyone there for the interviews. Not that it's conducive to a good interview to have 5 people asking questions while the guests' heads whip back and forth like they're watching a tennis match. Personally, I was glad they booted her out for Harrelson and Reiner considering she ruined the Dolly interview Monday.

I liked that interview, she said something lovely to Dolly, while talking about her father, and his struggles right now. Sarah looked like she had whipped into little house on the prairie, that dress, oy vey! 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, backformore said:

The Congress Woman brought up some very good points that have never been addressed - why were these men attacked, why no support, and why was one man found after the others. Yes, she did venture into hysterics, but she's not the only one raising questions about what happened. 

And I think MM was out of line scolding the audience.  the president was called out for telling a lie, the audience cheered.  MM can disagree, but she's not winning any favors by scolding people who come to the show.  Maybe if she says something particularly smart, the audience will cheer for her. 

They did, when she spoke about women ( in the workforce), big applause.

Just now, TheGreenKnight said:

Well, as a Dolly fan myself, I'd rather have heard Dolly speak than Meghan talking about herself.

I love Dolly, but if she's anything like the rest of us, and knows of Meghan's father, maybe she liked hearing what MM said.

1 hour ago, orangeiguana said:

My heart goes out to the congresswoman, as she knew the late soldier. But holy cow, those were some hysterical histrionics! Is that how she comports herself on the house floor? It also sounded -- and I sure hope I'm wrong -- like she was a bit drunk, especially since she wouldn't shut up when it was time to go to break.

I know, right. Some weird looks around the table..

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Megan McCain got owned by the congresswoman from Miami.  She tried to shame her for calling out the President and the congresswoman put her in her place.  She has had a long relationship with the young man who died. So, she had every right to speak up about the phone call. Megan will not last long on this show.  She looked like she wanted to cry afterwards. lol

Maybe that's where she was during the interview at the end. I have to say today really exposed her for having no compassion whatsoever.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Maybe that's where she was during the interview at the end. I have to say today really exposed her for having no compassion whatsoever.

I guess I didn't see what you did, oh well. I'm not a fan of Joy she's snide and often comes across as stupid. Each to our own.:)

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Why are they so scared of Whoopie?

I'm sure there's an element of fear because Whoopi is an icon (with a bad temper), but I think it's also they want to be part of the Cool Kids Club.  You can see how important celebrities greet Whoopi so warmly when they come on, I think the young panelists want to be able to brag that they are a Friend of Whoops too.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7

Now some of Joy's jokes may be tired and stupid, but I don't find Joy herself to be stupid. She's pretty well informed. I cannot say the same for Meghan. This is the person who said she didn't have an opinion about Vietnam (I think it was) because she hadn't been born yet, and Paul Begala came back with he hadn't been born during the French Revolution, but he knew about it. From the past week and a half, I am seeing that she's decided, no matter what, she's going to stick to her party talking points/lines and disagree with Joy, Sunny, Whoopi on EVERYTHING political.

Whoopi is also an ignoramus at times. But she also has moments where what she says comes from a place of knowledge and experience.

Based on what Rep. Wilson said, about the soldiers not having good weapons, what caused them to be killed, why it took over 48 hours to find them. I do agree, that as it looks right now, the death of all these soldiers in Niger, is 45's "Benghazi." And based on the clips the show aired yesterday, he just doesn't care about what happened. 

Meghan can disagree and criticize Rep. Wilson all she wants, as host, she can do that--but to scold the audience? Again, is she aware of who her audience/viewers are? If they want to boo and hiss, they have every right; if they want to clap and cheer, they can do that too.

I'm glad a clip of the segment was sent to me, as my affiliate had to cut into the show due to a shooting here, so the show returned as the segment was ending.  And though I was in the kitchen cooking, I listened to the interview with Harrelson and Reiner and LOVED it. LOVED their frankness. Reiner is always such a joy. It's hard to remember he played "Meathead" so many moons ago!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
because getting facts correct is important.
  • Love 18

I would  never use the word stupid to describe Joy.  When she talks about things that require more than just her view she usually has the statistics, sources or whatever to back it up.  She might say things some people don't like but she never IMO says anything that would be considered stupid.

And I can only speak for myself but if I'm at a talk show and a host says something I like or dislike I'm going to show how I feel.  Isn't that what an audience is for?

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I would  never use the word stupid to describe Joy.  When she talks about things that require more than just her view she usually has the statistics, sources or whatever to back it up.  She might say things some people don't like but she never IMO says anything that would be considered stupid.

And I can only speak for myself but if I'm at a talk show and a host says something I like or dislike I'm going to show how I feel.  Isn't that what an audience is for?

She knows nothing about the country I live in. In fact Elizabeth corrected her a few times, that's why I find her stupid, saying stupid things about a place she doesn't know. I'm not a fan of her humour either. Its just how I feel, no biggie..I still put up with her, over the one that dresses like a homeless person..:) 

Happy Thursday..

27 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I agree, susie.  Over the years I have found Joy to be quite studious, level headed and seems to be quite grounded. I enjoy listening to her and find her to be funny. 

As for Meghan and how she acted yesterday, still not impressed. I don't find her genuine at all and I think she is only there to play a role. It will be interesting to see how long she lasts there.

• Love 19

gotta be honest. I am no fan of Trump AT ALL. but Whoopi needs to go as moderator. I'm tired of her saying "that new Whitehouse president" "you know who" "the new man" ok Whoopi it was cute the first few times we get it!!!! She would be better in a panelist role. Fridays with Joy are the only time there is a genuine intelligent discussion. not to mention Whoopi's self righteous "HAVE YOU NO SHAME SIR" before even getting verified information whether trump said it or not. coming from the lady who wanted to keep defending Cosby until he was proven guilty FFS. She's just not fit as moderator. ugh sorry. and I thought Meghan attacking Wilson was harsh but she was clearly frazzled and put into a tough spot. she didn't want to be another trump basher conservative like Navarro or Wallace bc it would lose her credibility with republicans and while I disagree with that, I do think she added some nice calmness to the table and let everyone take a deep breath..

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm glad a clip of the segment was sent to me, as my affiliate had to cut into the show due to a shooting here, so the show returned as the segment was ending.  And though I was in the kitchen cooking, I listened to the interview with Harrelson and Reiner and LOVED it. LOVED their frankness. Reiner is always such a joy. It's hard to remember he played "Meathead" so many moons ago!

If you're on Twitter, Rob Reiner is a great person to follow, as is his dad Carl Reiner.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Bmarsh said:

gotta be honest. I am no fan of Trump AT ALL. but Whoopi needs to go as moderator. I'm tired of her saying "that new Whitehouse president" "you know who" "the new man" ok Whoopi it was cute the first few times we get it!!!! She would be better in a panelist role. Fridays with Joy are the only time there is a genuine intelligent discussion. not to mention Whoopi's self righteous "HAVE YOU NO SHAME SIR" before even getting verified information whether trump said it or not. coming from the lady who wanted to keep defending Cosby until he was proven guilty FFS. She's just not fit as moderator. ugh sorry. and I thought Meghan attacking Wilson was harsh but she was clearly frazzled and put into a tough spot. she didn't want to be another trump basher conservative like Navarro or Wallace bc it would lose her credibility with republicans and while I disagree with that, I do think she added some nice calmness to the table and let everyone take a deep breath..

What a great post, thankyou..you said it much better than I could. 

2 minutes ago, backformore said:

If you're on Twitter, Rob Reiner is a great person to follow, as is his dad Carl Reiner.

I finally caved and did create a Twitter account and I do follow both him and his father! So, I wasn't paying attention, but what were they talking about on Tuesday after the whole Chris Hemsworth and bare feet thing? They were all laughing and joking. I missed it.

Meghan was RUDE!   They're talking about soldiers who died, and MM decides -  oh no, we're going to stop  this discussion, and go to the main point - veterans health care!  I want to USE THIS MOMENT to talk about what I want to talk about, JOY!  

Yes, veteran health care is important.  BUT - she was saying SHE had difficulty with talking about fallen soldiers, therefore the discussion is over?  

• Love 19
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now some of Joy's jokes may be tired and stupid, but I don't find Joy herself to be stupid. She's pretty well informed. I cannot say the same for Meghan. This is the person who said she didn't have an opinion about Vietnam (I think it was) because she hadn't been born yet, and Paul Begala came back with he hadn't been born during the French Revolution, but he knew about it. From the past week and a half, I am seeing that she's decided, no matter what, she's going to stick to her party talking points/lines and disagree with Joy, Sunny, Whoopi on EVERYTHING political.

Whoopi is also an ignoramus at times. But she also has moments where what she says comes from a place of knowledge and experience.

Based on what Rep. Wilson said, about the soldiers not having good weapons, what caused them to be killed, why it took over 48 hours to learn that there was a fifth soldier, Johnson, to be found, I do agree, that as it looks right now, the death of all these soldiers in Niger, is 45's "Benghazi." And based on the clips the show aired yesterday, he just doesn't care about what happened. 

Meghan can disagree and criticize Rep. Wilson all she wants, as host, she can do that--but to scold the audience? Again, is she aware of who her audience/viewers are? If they want to boo and hiss, they have every right; if they want to clap and cheer, they can do that too.

Not to be contrary, but I thought three were pulled out immediately & Johnson was the fourth!!???

• Love 4

I do have to say, Sarah looked good today.  I like her hair and makeup looking more natural.  and the highlight/lowlight, blended blonde coloring in her hair is  much more flattering than the YELLOW!!  that Meghan is sporting. 

• Love 9

That chick did not look like Melania. The nose is different and the lipline. She wore the glasses all day and into the night? ANd the way he introduced her was weird,. "This is my wife, Melania, standing right here." And the  woman just nodded.  I cant believe I am agreeing with whoopi

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I'm tired of the two sides, both sides  thing too. 

Me too. Off camera MM did say she was talking with Sunny, about something to do with the military. We didn't get to hear all of that conversation though, which is fine.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ari333 said:

That chick did not look like Melania. The nose is different and the lipline. She wore the glasses all day and into the night? ANd the way he introduced her was weird,. "This is my wife, Melania, standing right here." And the  woman just nodded.  I cant believe I am agreeing with whoopi

Yes. I thought it was a ridiculous conspiracy story, until I heard how he introduced her.  Parents of young children recognize that pattern of lying by over-explaining. The "standing right here," was like saying "my real wife, not a body double, believe me."

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

Yes. I thought it was ridiculous until I heard how he introduced her.  Parents of young children recognize that pattern of lying by over-explaining. The "standing right here," was like saying "my real wife, not a body double, believe me."

Exactly. That's how I took it. The "standing right here" part is what flagged it for me... well.. and the different face.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

My 89 year old mother detests Meghan McCain.  She detests her voice, she detests the way she dresses, she detests what she has to say, and she detests that she gets to talk on and on without interruption.  Did you notice Whoopie actually apologizing to her for interrupting her?  And then they let her talk on and on without saying anything except to shade Joy?  Does she have it in her contract that she's allowed to talk forever without being talked over?  This is not going to go well.  Either she leaves after 13 weeks, or Joy will be going.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

Sorry, MM, but you can't be on this show and trash Joy. You would do well to watch how calmly she handles discussions and backs up her ideas with facts.  The lady reads at least 3 newspapers each morning - she mentioned the Wash. Post, NY Times and one other I can't remember as each day reading.  She's well read and articulate, whatever you may think about her humor.  She is in no way stupid.  You are heading into Jedi territory where you just keep blathering and let no one else in on the conversation.  Calm down and let others get a chance....

But MM watches cable to prepare for the show! She said so herself yesterday! ;)

• Love 11