Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: My Funny Valentine

• Start Topic

I'd forgotten that Victor left Val (half) ownership of the house.  That's one of those revelations that is suuuuuper creepy when you revisit after learning about Victor. 

Kelly is the worst.  She has no concept of relationships existing before her.  She's also so used to successfully turning people against Val with nothing more than her say so that she can't handle it when it doesn't work.  Tom has known Val a long time.  He knows her better than he knows Kelly AND he knows her better than Kelly does.  Val doesn't have to give him a big speech about why she needs his support with Abby coming to town because he already knows.  I don't blame Kelly for wanting to know what's going on, that's natural, but Val calling her old friend for help doesn't mean she's manipulating him (and I'll argue that Kelly's been far more manipulative than Val overall including this scene where she tries to manipulate Tom not to help a friend even though Kelly would expect everyone in her life to drop what they're doing and support her should she call them). 

• Love 4

Unfortunately, it is true that even in 1997 there were some total squares on college campuses, at least, in small-town Minnesota. Especially amongst the sorority girls. I had a friend who lived with three other girls in a house. My friend smoked weed with us over at our house, down the street. She knew they didn't like it, but they seemed to have a don't ask/ don't tell policy. Friend got braver, and smoked a bowl in her room. The other girls freaked out and said they were moving out and called her parents. They were actually crying, like real tears and we were all like whaaaaaaaaaat. My friend ended up moving out and into another, more appropriate apartment with another of our friends that was looking for a roommate. We are all fine now as 43 year old adults. We also had a friend, huge Phish kind of guy, who dated a sorority girl. She would make a big show of leaving the room and being a huge bitch whenever we would smoke pot in front of her. She often argued with us about how it was "illegal" and that is why it offended her so much. She would double down with "The government outlawed it, and we should follow what the government said because they know what is best for us." So then we would remind her that she was under 21 yet enjoyed drinking alcohol like the rest of us, and her response was that "alcohol was legal!" And yet, our friend dated her for far longer than you would expect.

• Love 1

Welp, I was that naive college student... I went to a local band show my freshman year of college. I asked my suitemate with whom I'd attended, "What's that smell?" She incredulously told my innocent self that is was pot. I was 19, and still to this day never smoked the devil's lettuce. I also didn't drink until I was almost 22. My excuse is that I grew up sheltered in a Southern Baptist family.

• Love 1

Um, add me to the list of non-smokers... and to make it worse, I grew up in CA.  I just somehow had the stench of nerd/narc all over me that anyone who did it just didn't invite me. I never even tried it until I was in my late 20's.  And... the one time I did, it was to celebrate this amazing job interview I aced and then... that Monday I got offered the job!  The only catch, had to pass a drug test.  I didn't do enough and therefor passed.  However that was the first/last time.  I have no judgment on it though at all.

I forgot how much I hate the part of Val begging Kelly not to take Tom.  This really makes me hate the writers.  If Tom isn't really into Kelly and both are using each other to make Val mad/jealous, then why bother?  Why does Kelly have to be a "saint" and "let Tom go" (home to bone Val).  I do LOVE LOVE LOVE how Tom wouldn't tell Kelly the dirt about Val.  Kelly is so quick to betray secrets (like telling everyone about Val's dad's suicide). 

And if your BF has kept an ENGAGEMENT ring he bought for another girl, you need to run away, now.

• Love 3

Val's mom looks a lot like Kelly.  How about THAT for a soap opera twist?

Yeah, and looks nothing at all like Val. I love the concept of former primetime soap opera queens coming back to be the parents of the niners. Worked out awesome with Stephanie Beacham playing Dylan's mother. But Michelle Phillips was the wrong choice for this. Maybe Michele Lee would have been better. And where the hell is Donna Mills? She could have been in here somewhere.

17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Welp, I was that naive college student... I went to a local band show my freshman year of college. I asked my suitemate with whom I'd attended, "What's that smell?" She incredulously told my innocent self that is was pot. I was 19, and still to this day never smoked the devil's lettuce. I also didn't drink until I was almost 22. My excuse is that I grew up sheltered in a Southern Baptist family.

But did you start crying and shaking and call the parents of your fellow 19 year old adults that were indulging in the devil's lettuce and threaten to get them arrested? If not, then you were far from this level of naivete.

11 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m sorry but I kind of love when Val makes Brandon pick up her mom at the airport and he’s like “I always liked your mom” and she’s like “okay have fun on that drive then, bye!”

Haha me too I love that Val uses Brandon's kiss-ass boy scoutness against him.

I buy that Steve would not have done pot before. I went to Snooty Rich Asshole Day School in the 90s, and pot was considered too down market. Booze and coke were the substances of choice. I can see Bev-Niners having a similar attitude.

• Love 2

David was almost there with his speech to Donna when she came back from her walk, but agonizingly stopped short of the natural conclusion.

Also in the User Submitted Technology 5, I was waiting for "Val or Abby gets an Uber from the airport."  

Edited by Cekrypton1

The weed stuff aside (my thing about that was, forget the fraternity, Steve shares a home with Valerie so being that scandalized about it seems weird), I still don't understand why Steve and Dick are suddenly BFF.  Are we supposed to forget that they met when they were fighting over Claire?  Isn't Dick supposed to be a smarty-pants who wouldn't really have much in common with Steve?  It's weird.

Also, did we need the flashback to Brandon proposing to Kelly?  I feel like anyone hanging in on season 7 of this show would already know that.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

The weed stuff aside (my thing about that was, forget the fraternity, Steve shares a home with Valerie so being that scandalized about it seems weird), I still don't understand why Steve and Dick are suddenly BFF.  Are we supposed to forget that they met when they were fighting over Claire?  Isn't Dick supposed to be a smarty-pants who wouldn't really have much in common with Steve?  It's weird.

Also, did we need the flashback to Brandon proposing to Kelly?  I feel like anyone hanging in on season 7 of this show would already know that.

The writers and people behind the scenes needed the flashback so they could fill some time, even if it was only 2 minutes, they needed it. 

• Love 2

My mom and stepdad smoked weed so my teenage/college rebellion was to be totally straight laced.  No pot, no partying, no going to clubs.  I didn't even drink until I was 24.  Nowadays, I enjoy a glass of wine or beer in the evening, but I've still never tried pot.  My mom also sold makeup at one of the department stores at the mall and gave makeovers so I, of course, was a total tomboy/slob and never wore makeup.  

Anyway, this run of 90210 episodes are so bad.  So very, very bad.  Thank you, Sarah, Tara, and Dave, for bringing the fun!

Fellow Southern Baptist here. I was the same way. Didn't know what I was smelling. Never smoked it. I don't remember how old I was when I had my first drink, devil's brew as my grandmother called it, but it was later in college.

Love "devil's lettuce".

3 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

For the record, I've never smoked weed either, but it's my impression that I was and am a total outlier! Greetings, fellow nerds!

People are always astounded that I've never toked up because "You're so granola/a hippy/liberal/godless!"

others who could have played Abby Malone:
1. Morgan Brittany
2. Victoria Principal
3. the gal who shot JR (brunette)

my mid blanks on others from Dallas, Falcon Crest or Dynasty-- I loved watching those as a kid!

#3 is Mary Crosby (Bing's daughter). She played Colin's sugar momma.

• Love 1

Add me to the nerd brigade...

18 hours ago, lefawn said:

My mom and stepdad smoked weed so my teenage/college rebellion was to be totally straight laced.  No pot, no partying, no going to clubs.

Same here, except it was my dad.  I still knew PLENTY of people who smoked and partied so I wasn't scandalized.  I remember freshman year of high school I caught the bus with a very popular junior who had to wake and bake every morning.  One morning he offered me some and I declined.  Surprisingly, he was very cool about it, went about his business and never gave me any shit about it.  

I know this isn't about the episode where Kelly has to make a choice between Dylan and Brandon, but since I just watched it on soap I have to comment. In what world would you be dating someone seriously for a year, and then admit to that boyfriend that you've been offered a trip around the world with his best friend and you are thinking about going? And then in the end, she chose herself even though Brandon never did anything bad to her, and has been there for her through the crazy cult and so much more. But the second Dylan knocks on her door and says they were together in a past life, she gets so easily influenced into being with him. I don't understand how no one, especially Brandon ever said to her, " Kelly, you know you're in a relationship with ME right? "... Kelly made it seem like she was dating neither of them at the time and she just had to choose between the two... how about you, um, choose your actual boyfriend. And the best part of the Kelly hypocrisy was that about 3 episodes before this one, Kelly ripped Brandon and everyone else a new one for all men being cheaters and " why can't anyone be faithful?"... Fast forward a couple episodes and Kelly is cheating.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

And then in the end, she chose herself even though Brandon never did anything bad to her, and has been there for her through the crazy cult and so much more. But the second Dylan knocks on her door and says they were together in a past life, she gets so easily influenced into being with him. 

This right here. She just got out of a CULT, but apparently this other magical thinking bullshit is reasonable. Wow. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, lefawn said:

Anyway, this run of 90210 episodes are so bad.  So very, very bad.  Thank you, Sarah, Tara, and Dave, for bringing the fun!

Sadly, they don't get any better after this. Maybe the 5 year anniversary episode, but once Val leaves there is no reason to continue.

• Love 1

I agree with after Val left, the show took a big hit. There was no other character like her on the show, and she acted her part really well with being a schemer and manipulator. Gina just didn't work for me. Val was bad half the time but there were also times where she was good and likable. Even when she was bad, she was likable at times. Gina just was not likable at any moment during her time on the show.

• Love 3

Gina was just extremely good looking with great hair- so she was taking that part of Brenda that we missed.  But I just felt sorry for her.  Kelly is a bitch to her (surprise) and Gina's story is awful and her genealogy is a total exercise in suspending one's disbelief. 

I still don't' get why Brandon would keep the ring- through Susan AND Tracy?  Just fucking return it... and how did he get the credit score high enough to buy that ring?  Jim didn't co-sign for it, right? I can just see old Brando signing up for those stupid credit cards they have in college (where you get a free tshirt) and running over to the German jewelry store and maxing it out. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Gina just was not likable at any moment during her time on the show.

Ugh, Gina was the fucking worst. Val could be an asshole sometimes, but you always kind of understood why. But Gina was an asshole all the time and for like no reason. And don't even get me started on what the writers did to Dr. Martin's character during the Gina years.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I still don't' get why Brandon would keep the ring- through Susan AND Tracy?  Just fucking return it... and how did he get the credit score high enough to buy that ring?  Jim didn't co-sign for it, right? I can just see old Brando signing up for those stupid credit cards they have in college (where you get a free tshirt) and running over to the German jewelry store and maxing it out. 

Brandon told Dylan after the "I choose me" that he had 5 years of payment lined up on the ring.  Why he kept it all of that time, even after Val "recovered" it from Ginger at Kelly's boring birthday party and embarrassed him about it, is beyond me.  I guess we could give the writers props for some continuity in that they never showed him with the ring after that until now, so why not make it a big plot point now?  I'm grasping at straws and clearly smokin' crack since the writers sucked at continuity for the most part.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:44 PM, MerBearStare said:

And don't even get me started on what the writers did to Dr. Martin's character during the Gina years.

Exactly. I didn't understand why the writers went there with Dr. Martin. He never gave off the impression that he'd doink Felice and Bobbi. It doesn't make sense. 

I just want to chime in and say while Michelle Phillips is no Meryl Streep or anything, the scenes she has with Tiffani Hyphen Name are the only ones in the show right now that don't seem like they were filmed during a carbon monoxide leak. I remember Danny Drennan being like, "can this just be the Val And Val's Mom Show?" It would be really over the top and soapy but it would still probably be better than any of Donna's anything.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2017 at 7:53 PM, Cekrypton1 said:

Something about the Tracy gifs in this Visual Aids made me realize that she could have been cast as a young Carol Potter/Cindy Walsh in a flashback ep and been very believable.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. Carol Potter is very pretty, IMO and while Tracy can pull off cute, she's not really pretty ... obvi MMV but I just think, despite the mom jeans and the business suits to take your daughter to the doctor, she was such a pretty lady (remember the 20th anniversary  episode where Dumb Brenda got engaged to Dumb Stuart?).

But then, I generally find Tracy boring af and vanilla with no beans so...

I vote Morgan Brittany as Val's mom! But Victoria Principal would've worked too, as I recall, she also had impressive boobage. 

On 9/28/2017 at 4:44 AM, MerBearStare said:

Ugh, Gina was the fucking worst. Val could be an asshole sometimes, but you always kind of understood why. But Gina was an asshole all the time and for like no reason. And don't even get me started on what the writers did to Dr. Martin's character during the Gina years.

This! They always tried to humanize her, but it never worked. She was illegitimate! She grew up (gasp) working class! She has an ED! but she was such a jealous, snipey, bitter bitch that I really had no sympathy for her. And when they had the Val 2.0 storyline where she chased after Dylan while he wasn't really into her... yawn. She's not even on the show yet and I already hate her. And yea, way to ruin Dr. Martin, show. It was always a nice dynamic between him and Felice - he had a heart and she was always a snobby bitch, but to find out he was a cheater who basically turned his back on his daughter (I mean, why was she poor? why didn't he pay for her expenses and education? Or maybe he did and I just forgot because I never rewatch these shows).

On 9/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Kelly made it seem like she was dating neither of them at the time and she just had to choose between the two... how about you, um, choose your actual boyfriend.

IKR?! Kelly was always the one who treated cheating like a mortal sin, but when it was her doing the cheating (or helping someone cheat - see SOD), then it was "complicated." Fuck that noise. I remember when Brandon cheats with Ella or whatever her name was (next season?) and when Kelly found out she was all "you're a monster! how could you?! you're evil!!" And I was like, um, really, Kelly? A monster? Like when you messed around with Dylan during the SOD and lied to your best friend for months about what you did during that same summer? Or when you basically ran around making out with Dylan all over LA while you were supposedly in a relationship with Brandon? But all that's okay because you and Dylan rode stage coaches together in the Wild West? STFU.

Oh, Tracy, honey. Time to bounce. Life lesson should be learned at this point. Doesn't she have a real girlfriend who can tell her it's time to grab a couple of pints of ice cream and get under a blanket and in front of some good late 90s trash TV and forget about him? And his reaction... just staring at her like a a fucking doofus. Ouch. Why don't these people ever have friends outside of the Gang? How cheap are these producers?... wait, don't answer that ...  Brandon is the worst and the t-shirt in bed for a 22-year-old man after having sex with his girlfriend? Really? Did Jason have some sort of hang up? He did the same thing when he was high on U4EA with Emily and he put a jacket on over his shirtless body. It's funny when you think about all the times on the show where the girls are in bras or or bikinis or spaghetti straps - hell even Steve showed his pepperoni nips - but Jason just would not go there.  It's also funny to think that  in a mere 10 years or so from these episodes male actors would have to get super-ripped on TV. 

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, Klaw said:

Did Jason have some sort of hang up?

Maybe he was like Sarah Jessica Parker on SATC, where she had a clause in her contract that got her out of being naked. 

I'm getting a bit ragey right now thinking of how smug Kelly is when Brandon dumps Tracy but says that he/Kelly should wait a day to hook up since he has a tv station staff meeting and it would look bad for Kelly to join him.  I think they were trying to show that Kelly was all horn-doggy for him but she just looked like a smug bitch instead.

• Love 1