Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/25/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I was relieved that my family and I would not be embarrassed by my old underwear.

I doubt if emergency personnel care about an accident victim's underwear.  They probably don't notice unless it's unusually gross (I mean UNUSALLY) or unusually slutty.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:03 AM, hisbunkie said:

The reason for wearing clean undies and socks in case you have an accident and need medical care is NOT because you will shame your family. It is because medical staff will see it and not give you the best care.

It's simply not true...and would be unethical and (possibly) illegal.  Just wear clean underwear because you can...and whenever you can.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I didn't see the game...the pre-game.  Were people booing DURING the National Anthem?

Yes. Many fans were booing DURING the national anthem. I presume that were booing the kneeling players, NOT the actual anthem.

19 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I doubt if emergency personnel care about an accident victim's underwear.  They probably don't notice unless it's unusually gross (I mean UNUSALLY) or unusually slutty.

One person's slutty is another person's normal underwear.  I'm just saying.......

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mrbean5411 said:

Yes. Many fans were booing DURING the national anthem. I presume that were booing the kneeling players, NOT the actual anthem.

And yet they were booing DURING the anthem. I think that was Sunny's point.

• Love 13

Like Joy had just done, Sara referred to Caitlyn as "he", realized it, said "shit", which was bleeped, though easily lip read.  As she covered her mouth after she realized what she'd said, anything else they bleeped wasn't lip readable.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, buffynut said:

Like Joy had just done, Sara referred to Caitlyn as "he", realized it, said "shit", which was bleeped, though easily lip read.  As she covered her mouth after she realized what she'd said, anything else they bleeped wasn't lip readable.

Thanks!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I've always been fascinated with people who can lip read.  (My long-time girlfriend went deaf in her late twenties & took the proactive step of learning to lip read & sign.  She ended up marrying a deaf guy & she navigated the Deaf Community very well.)  Do you lip read &, if so, is it because of deafness?

2 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

And yet they were booing DURING the anthem. I think that was Sunny's point.

I don't think that was Sunny's point at all. She just can't understand why people would be offended by people disrespecting the flag and national anthem. The people booing were booing the players NOT the anthem. When would you suggest they voice their displeasure of the actions of the players? While it could be interpreted them as booing the anthem, I'm pretty sure that anyone who is thinking reasonably would be able to tell the difference.

Edited by mrbean5411
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've always been fascinated with people who can lip read.  (My long-time girlfriend went deaf in her late twenties & took the proactive step of learning to lip read & sign.  She ended up marrying a deaf guy & she navigated the Deaf Community very well.)  Do you lip read &, if so, is it because of deafness?

No, I can't lip read at all, except for the odd word here and there. And in this case, the camera was right on her and the "bleeped word" seemed the obvious response.  I think it would be really neat to learn though. As it would to learn to sign.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mrbean5411 said:

I don't think that was Sunny's point at all. She just can't understand why people would be offended by people disrespecting the flag and national anthem. The people booing were booing the players NOT the anthem. When would you suggest they voice their displeasure of the actions of the players? While it could be interpreted them as booing the anthem, I'm pretty sure that anyone who is thinking reasonably would be able to tell the difference.

Such Irony. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, susieq147 said:
23 hours ago, Former Nun said:

One person's slutty is another person's normal underwear.  I'm just saying.......

And God help you if you are commando. :) According to my mother, the family shame would be so great, we would all have to join the witness protection program.  Growing up Catholic in a small town had convinced her that HIPPA or not, EVERYONE would find out. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, mrbean5411 said:

That may not have been her point (I don't think critical thinking is her strong point), but it could be taken that way.  Everyone understands why people would be offended by anyone's disrespecting the flag and/or the National Anthem.  I think for "disrespect," the intent must be there; NO ONE was disrespecting anything*.  Too many have misinterpreted a Black man's protest and refusal, for some reason, to read and understand his reasons.  If it had anything to do with disrespect, it was disrespect and mistreatment of his race.

Since the people booing the players wouldn't STOP--even during their defended National Anthem, that could also be taken as a sign of disrespect by "anyone who's thinking reasonably."  I wonder if they were booing with their hands on their hearts.  If the man standing next to me is BOOING (for any reason) during the National Anthem,  I'd speak up.    

*It could be said that those booing were disrespecting the players.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 17

I enjoyed the show today - more like "Joy & Friends" instead of "The Whoopi Show." Joy kinda one-upped Whoopi on the who knew Hef best conversation and I found her insight and comments more authentic. As she referenced more than once, she keeps it real with her friends and otherwise. 

• Love 8

Good long segment with Larry. Joy spoke about what a good guy/ friend  he has always been to everyone . They showed early pictures of them together as well as one with Mario Canton. 

I do not care for Megan so am wondering how she will do   I remember her showing up as a guest on Bill Maher years   ago and think her undies  would be suspect for emerency  personnel  

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I do not care for Megan so am wondering how she will do   I remember her showing up as a guest on Bill Maher years   ago and think her undies  would be suspect for emerency  personnel

Bwah, ha ha (regarding the undies).  I haven't seen her that much, but not that impressed from my limited viewing.  I actually was OK with Jed.  Don't know what the real story is with her, but I doubt it had anything to do with the Hillary inverview.

• Love 5

I'm over forty and recently had a young whippersnapper pull what Megan did. I stole the line from Bill Maher's show. My recap: the young one was supposed to know and write something about Woodstock and she said, "I don't know, I wasn't born yet." I egregiously said , "I wasn't alive during the French Revolution but I know about it." I'm an asshole.

• Love 18

Kristin Chenoweth's appearance was nothing more than a commercial for that rosacea cream Rhofade, followed by that creepy testimonial from the robotic dermatologist, followed by an actual ad during the break.  Think she's on Allergan's payroll?  Ironically, the "possible side effects" (skin reactions, dermatitis, worsening of rosacea pimples, itching, redness, and pain) are the very reason you'd be using the stuff to begin with.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Kristin Chenoweth's appearance was nothing more than a commercial for that rosacea cream Rhofade, followed by that creepy testimonial from the robotic dermatologist, followed by an actual ad during the break.  Think she's on Allergan's payroll?  Ironically, the "possible side effects" (skin reactions, dermatitis, worsening of rosacea pimples, itching, redness, and pain) are the very reason you'd be using the stuff to begin with.

They said ahead of time that she's a spokeswoman for the product.

• Love 2

I enjoyed today's show. Well, I've enjoyed this week, but especially today. With Whoopi out, these 4 are so comfortable with each other; even when they're talking about nothing in particular, I'm entertained and I can buy them actually sitting down and talking with each other in Real Life. The only problem is I find it harder to think of what to post when I like the show because there isn't as much to bitch about. ;P

It's a shame they couldn't have just let Paula have the fifth seat everyday again. I'd rather see her than Meghan McCain, but I'm going to cut my losses and be grateful we're rid of She Who Must Not Be Named.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It's a shame they couldn't have just let Paula have the fifth seat everyday again. I'd rather see her than Meghan McCain, but I'm going to cut my losses and be grateful we're rid of She Who Must Not Be Named.

Right now I'm happy with only seeing Paula once a week, as something about her bugs me. But depending on what I think of Meghan McCain, I may change my mind. LOL.

• Love 12

I wish Paula had a better political sense of humor. I thought it was hilarious when Joy said the 4 abusers of chartered flights were called to the WH and then showed 4 private planes in front of the WH. Paula took a drink of coffee or water.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoyed today's show. Well, I've enjoyed this week, but especially today. With Whoopi out, these 4 are so comfortable with each other; even when they're talking about nothing in particular, I'm entertained and I can buy them actually sitting down and talking with each other in Real Life. The only problem is I find it harder to think of what to post when I like the show because there isn't as much to bitch about. ;P

I agree, especially with the bolded part -  it reminded me of when The View first started, and it felt like a group of women who were getting together for coffee and talking about whatever was on their minds.  It seemed very authentic. 

I didn't mind Kristin C talking about the medication that worked for her Rosacea.  That also seemed real to me, and I think she's sweet.  I also got a kick out of her singing a song to her dog about obedience school.  

1 minute ago, Haleth said:

The segment with the embarrassing photos was funny. 

I wish they had explained it better.  It wasn't just embarrassing photos - Stephen Colbert pledged $1,000 for every celebrity who posted a puberty-age photo of themselves, with the money going to help Puerto Rico.  It was a way for him to increase awareness, but also have celebrities give for the cause.   Because most celebrities will also give money, at least to match the $1000 for their photo.  

I did think their discussion of the photos was funny - Joy calling out Sara and Sunny for "slutty" photos, Sara teasing back that Joy was pictured with a baby in her lap, so she may have been the real slut.  The back and forth teasing, without Jed there to one-up and out-talk, or Whoopi to roll her eyes or act superior, was pleasant and refreshing. 

• Love 13

I liked the show today too.

One thing that always confuses me is why Paula, who is only on one day a week, sits out when they are interviewing guests.  Today was really weird, because she disappeared for the KC interview, which is only one person, and then she reappeared for the interview of the two guests from Ghosted.

• Love 5

Joy  was on fire today, she was so funny.  I love her so much and especially when she is the host. Man, she takes no prisoners and ly always lets Drumpt and his swamp "get served" EVERY SINGLE DAY. Good on her.  Joy is such a natural wit. I totally adore her and want her to be my girlfriend. Snort. Paula can go back to where she came from, but I like her better than that viper Jeda blaugh blaugh. 

• Love 11

Brother I couldn't find an answer to my question and duh... Didn't hit submit just like I text  

Because it can't be said enough times, what a difference with Joy at the helm. I loved the photos and the teasing going on. If Whoopi were to show a picture she would just say how fine she was. 

Any Catholics out there? You aren't 13 at confirmation are you ?  Joy looked 10. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Any Catholics out there? You aren't 13 at confirmation are you ?  Joy looked 10. 

I'm in Joy's age group and was a very devout Catholic.  I'm sure different areas of the country had different guidelines, but in Phoenix, where/when I grew up, we didn't even have a bishop in our area.  Ours was the Diocese of New Mexico and the bishop was in Tucson...he didn't even like to travel to Phoenix (no freeways in those days).  So...the bishop came to Phoenix every two years and confirmed Catholic school kids from fifth through eighth grades (10-13/14).  I was confirmed in fifth grade...and I was ten.  We wore nice white dresses (no veils)...same type of thing we wore for First Communion and our May Procession.  Four years later, my youngest sister was confirmed and her group wore white graduation-type gowns and little red beanies.  Very cute.  TMI, I know.   

Edited by Former Nun
spelling (maybe it was typing)
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Chenoweth is such a phony.

I try to avoid that little phony...much MORE than a phony--at all costs.  My kids (middle-aged men) and I always joke that she CANNOT be on any sort of interview where she doesn't mention how tiny she is.  She's "just a peanut," etc.   She didn't fail me today.  She mentioned something about being "so little" that her feet can't touch the floor.  Hey, Sister!  Those are stools; no one's feet touch the floor.  If she is singing, she's enjoyable, but the rest is avoidable.  

I rarely watch "The Chew" but decided to take a look today.  Another of my "unfavorites" was a guest on that show: Anne Heche.   She took over so much that the segment (making salmon puffs) couldn't be completed.  She was talking and being "funny" and just over-the-top.   EGAD, I'm on a roll!

Edited by Former Nun
added dashes for drama
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I wish Paula had a better political sense of humor. I thought it was hilarious when Joy said the 4 abusers of chartered flights were called to the WH and then showed 4 private planes in front of the WH. Paula took a drink of coffee or water.

I wish Paula had remained  a "journalist" and had kept her political views to herself.  When I see her I am reminded of something she said a while ago - that she wanted to open up non-abortion clinics to keep women from getting abortions.  Once she let her personal views out, she was forever tainted to me.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Brother I couldn't find an answer to my question and duh... Didn't hit submit just like I text  

Because it can't be said enough times, what a difference with Joy at the helm. I loved the photos and the teasing going on. If Whoopi were to show a picture she would just say how fine she was. 

I think I was maybe eleven.  No veil, but I seem to remember a photo with something on my head.  Probably a lace something.  This was in the days when you couldn't go to church without your head covered, if you were female.  At Catholic school we had mass on Fridays in the gym and we had to bobby pin a Kleenex to our hair.  I liked the mauve Kleenex best.

I should note that I am a recovering Catholic.

37 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I'm in Joy's age group and was a very devout Catholic.  I'm sure different areas of the country had different guidelines, but in Phoenix, where/when I grew up, we didn't even have a bishop in our area.  Ours was the Diocese of New Mexico and the bishop was in Tucson...he didn't even like to travel to Phoenix (no freeways in those days).  So...the bishop came to Phoenix every two years and confirmed Catholic school kids from fifth through eighth grades (10-13/14).  I was confirmed in fifth grade...and I was ten.  We wore nice white dresses (no veils)...same type of thing we wore for First Communion and our May Procession.  Four years later, my youngest sister was confirmed and her group wore white graduation-type gowns and little red beanies.  Very cute.  TMI, I know.   

I would have loved the little red beanies!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, bannana said:

At Catholic school we had mass on Fridays in the gym and we had to bobby pin a Kleenex to our hair.  I liked the mauve Kleenex best.

HAHAHA!!   You're obviously younger than I am.  Our only choice of Kleenex headwear was white.  Some of the "rich" girls had little round lace things they could plop on their hair immediately.  They folded up in a small plastic pouch.  DAMN!  Now you've made me want one again (I haven't been Catholic since age 25).   We didn't have a gym (this was elementary school), so Mass was always in church and we ALWAYS had to cover our heads.   Online this is called a Small Chapel Cap or a Small Mantilla.  (Didn't know this picture would be so BIG).

MantillaSmall.jpg

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

HAHAHA!!   You're obviously younger than I am.  Our only choice of Kleenex headwear was white.  Some of the "rich" girls had little round lace things they could plop on their hair immediately.  They folded up in a small plastic pouch.  DAMN!  Now you've made me want one again (I haven't been Catholic since age 25).   We didn't have a gym (this was elementary school), so Mass was always in church and we ALWAYS had to cover our heads.   Online this is called a Small Chapel Cap or a Small Mantilla.  (Didn't know this picture would be so BIG).

MantillaSmall.jpg

I feel like that may have been what was on my head for my confirmation!  I don't have those pics, so cannot check.

Catholic school for me was late-sixties to early 70's.  Also elementary school in a really tiny town, but we had a gym.  Guess those Catholics were generous. 

There was a statue of the Virgin Mary outside the gym where we had to kneel to do our penance, such as, a 1000 hail marys.  Okay, maybe 20.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

My Confirmation was at the age of 12 or 13.  The town where I currently live is confirming 15- and 16-year-olds this November, which is the oldest I've ever seen.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Confirmation age difference according to the diocese. In my church, it was 6th or 7th grade, so age 11 to 13.  Though it can be younger or older. There's some studying involved, and it's supposed to represent when you become an adult in the church, when you achieve spiritual maturity.  

If you attended a Catholic school, you would be confirmed with everyone in your grade, and maybe another grade or two as well. It had to coordinate with when the bishop was available. It involved a lot of memorizing and classes, so it was pretty much exclusive to kids attending the Catholic school.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, backformore said:

Confirmation age difference according to the diocese. In my church, it was 6th or 7th grade, so age 11 to 13.  Though it can be younger or older. There's some studying involved, and it's supposed to represent when you become an adult in the church, when you achieve spiritual maturity.  

If you attended a Catholic school, you would be confirmed with everyone in your grade, and maybe another grade or two as well. It had to coordinate with when the bishop was available. It involved a lot of memorizing and classes, so it was pretty much exclusive to kids attending the Catholic school.

I am pretty sure I did not memorize much.  I was very good at memorizing, that got me through school and university. I don't remember having to memorize anything, and I know, if I had to, I would have been fixated.   

14 hours ago, bannana said:

Catholic school for me was late-sixties to early 70's.  Also elementary school in a really tiny town, but we had a gym.  Guess those Catholics were generous. 

We were also in Phoenix where we could play/have sports outside almost every time/day of the week.  School started in September after Labor Day and it ended in May.  I was in elementary school '46-'54 so there was no true "air-conditioning" at the time...just coolers, open doors and windows.   I spent the summer after third grade with my grandparents in Minneapolis and went to a summer play/crafts program at a huge elementary school.  They had some blacktop to play on, but they had a HUGE gym/auditorium with a stage/professional curtains.  Very impressive...but I later learned they had a lot of indoor activities because of w-e-a-t-h-e-r.

• Love 1