Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/25/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Any Catholics out there? You aren't 13 at confirmation are you ?  Joy looked 10. 

I had my Confirmation in Pennsylvania in 5th grade. I've found that southern areas wait until high school; my dad was in the military scheduled to transfer mid school year and we waited to move so that I could get my Confirmation instead of waiting another five years. Here in my area of Virginia, they wait until 10th grade. I think their reasoning is that if they wait until later, the kids will stay in religious education longer (most stop when they finish Confirmation). I wore a red robe over a regular dress. The only time I wore a white dress was for my First Communion in 2nd grade. 

• Love 1

Joy lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn as a child as did I..  We received communion in 2nd grade and we all wore white dresses and white veils.  At that time,  we received confirmation  in 5th grade and the girls wore a white robe and the boys wore red robes over their clothes.    When I saw Joys picture it looked to me as a communion picture because of the white dress and veil which is  worn only  for communion not confirmation..

• Love 2
On 9/29/2017 at 10:09 PM, backformore said:

If you attended a Catholic school, you would be confirmed with everyone in your grade, and maybe another grade or two as well. It had to coordinate with when the bishop was available. It involved a lot of memorizing and classes, so it was pretty much exclusive to kids attending the Catholic school.

We did have a lot of memorization and practice.   We probably rehearsed the entire thing on three different days.  Things had to go off without a hitch because we couldn't waste the bishop's time.  A nun usually played the part of the bishop...sitting on a chair in front of the altar.  She "tapped" us on the cheek...a mere touch...each time, but we were reminded the bishop might "slap" our faces, to remind us we were soldiers in "the army of Christ."  I barely got a tap; some boys said they were slapped.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, Former Nun said:

It's simply not true...and would be unethical and (possibly) illegal.  Just wear clean underwear because you can...and whenever you can.

Former Nun- of course it's not true. That's the point... we were all told these nonsensical stories by our matriarchs, some of which we passed on.  We know it makes no sense but the craziness is sometimes hard to break away from. 

4 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

That's the point... we were all told these nonsensical stories by our matriarchs, some of which we passed on.

That wasn't everyone's point; some truly believe the underwear myth and claimed here to perpetuate it.   I'm 77 and heard the guideline, but my mother didn't tell us.  She just wanted to make sure we always saved a nickel (and then a dime) to use a pay phone in an emergency.

• Love 1

So I just zipped through the week and it’s sooooo niiiiiiiice and refreshing not to pull my hair out and just listen to women talk and give their opinions without any euphemisms and refusal to OWN your opinions.

I admit I’m shocked that no one corrected Whoopi about getting the date for when African Americans could vote.

But I have noticed something about Paula when they’re discussing politics-whenever Joy or Sunny are criticizing the current administration, she always ALWAYS uses the “But Obama” to justify the wrong doings of the four who spent OBSCENE amounts of money to fly.????

• Love 4

I went to Catholic school, and made my first holy communion in 2nd grade, and confirmation in 3rd grade. We wore red lace things like in the pic above and white dresses and shoes and socks. I remenver becoming a "soldier for Christ" via confirmation.  Recovery takes a long ggggg time for us Catholics. 

Love that Jed is gone.  Hated her rabid delivery and lies. 

• Love 1

I did my first communion when I was seven, however, I never made it to first confession or confirmation.  When the priest came into our religion class to teach us about confession he told us that we needed to confess our sins to a priest so he could tell god.  I could not understand why I needed a priest to act as a "middle man" between me and god.  If god knows EVERYTHING he would already know what I did and if I was really sorry, therefore, I did not need to tell a priest .... anything. Besides god would know if I was lying and I could tell a priest anything I wanted and they would not know the difference.  I really dug in my heels on the issue and I started the other kids to question this practice.  My mother was furious with me, because I was not asked back to class. :)  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I did my first communion when I was seven, however, I never made it to first confession or confirmation. 

Totally different order than when I grew up.  Confession came first, then communion followed by confirmation.  One would go to confession on Saturday, then to mass/communion on Sunday with a clean slate.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I did my first communion when I was seven, however, I never made it to first confession or confirmation.  When the priest came into our religion class to teach us about confession he told us that we needed to confess our sins to a priest so he could tell god.  I could not understand why I needed a priest to act as a "middle man" between me and god.  If god knows EVERYTHING he would already know what I did and if I was really sorry, therefore, I did not need to tell a priest .... anything. Besides god would know if I was lying and I could tell a priest anything I wanted and they would not know the difference.  I really dug in my heels on the issue and I started the other kids to question this practice.  My mother was furious with me, because I was not asked back to class. :)  

I used to get so nervous at confession when I was in elementary school that I used to go blank and not be able to think of anything to confess. So...I made up sins to confess. #defeatedthepurpose

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Aileen said:

I used to get so nervous at confession when I was in elementary school that I used to go blank and not be able to think of anything to confess. So...I made up sins to confess. #defeatedthepurpose

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been one month since my last confession. I disobeyed my parent three times, I lied two times.

I was dumbfounded by the idea that I was suppose to remember everything I did wrong, and keep a count.  So I went with that. It wasn't really a lie, it was an estimate. After a while I realized it was probably a lie, so I started adding another lie to my confession, to cover the lie at the previous confession.

Catholicism gives people obsessive compulsive disorder.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8

I'm glad I didn't have to worry about all that stuff when I was young. There was a lot of family drama don't get me wrong. I think having to worry about things described by most of you about Catholicism especially as a kid in addition to everything else would have driven me off the deep end.

8 hours ago, backformore said:

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been one month since my last confession. I disobeyed my parent three times, I lied two times.

I was dumbfounded by the idea that I was suppose to remember everything I did wrong, and keep a count.  So I went with that. It wasn't really a lie, it was an estimate. After a while I realized it was probably a lie, so I started adding another lie to my confession, to cover the lie at the previous confession.

Catholicism gives people obsessive compulsive disorder.

I only went to confession once in my life. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing and never did it again. I was a kid and I found it very intrusive.  Plus, I came from a Catholic country. However, I do like Catholic mass.  I am no longer a practicing Catholic, but, if I have to go to church, it has to be a Catholic one.. I guess being raised in a Catholic country left an indelible mark..lol  The Protestant Church has made inroads in my native country, but, Catholicism still has a lot of influence...They are very powerful...

11 hours ago, Aileen said:

Me too!!!!! I figured the priest wouldn't believe me that I had been good or better behaved.  How fucked up is that? ????? 

Seriously, mostly I fought with my siblings, and lie to my parents abt who broke the whatever or made a mess and didn't clean it up,  but we didn't cuss in grade school or take the Lord's name in vain (God dammit....I FLOVE when Colbert yells it), or steal, except for a comic book once and gum once), or commit adultery, or covet my neighbor's wife, etc..... so it was hard to think of a variety of sins to confess.  

I used to get dizzy staring at the confessional screen trying to decipher the priest behind the screen. Boring, useless guilt. That's Catholicism. 

• Love 4