Type keyword(s) to search

LA To Vegas - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

This was a pretty good episode. I got a big kick out of the Uber driver and the fact that everything that came out of her mouth sounded like a driver question. Like "I need to use the restroom, is there a particular way you'd like me to go?" And offering mints and tiny water bottles to everyone. "Is the smoke bothering you? I can roll down the window." 

The Blue Apron thing was pretty funny, but unless I'm mistaken they only make meals for 2 or 4. No way that box was going to feed nine people. I get that Ronnie not knowing that is part of the joke but literally, when you order, you choose dinner for two or dinner for four. 

I'm surprised Captain Dave was self-aware enough to realize things weren't going to work out for him and Nichole's mother. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The Blue Apron thing was pretty funny, but unless I'm mistaken they only make meals for 2 or 4. No way that box was going to feed nine people. I get that Ronnie not knowing that is part of the joke but literally, when you order, you choose dinner for two or dinner for four.

But if you cook all of the stuff together, all at once...

...props to Blue Apron for being able to laugh at itself ("I'm paying to COOK this MYSELF?"  LOL).  We're a Plated family, but Blue Apron is in my good books in case we ever want a change.

• Love 4

I like that they did mention that Ronnie has friends outside of work (well, "friends" who use greyscale as an excuse to not attend her party.  But, hey, she used that to avoid their baby showers, so its all good!), but I certainly don't mind that the dinner party was basically an excuse to get all the main characters in the same room for the majority of the episode (along with Bryan, Nichole's mom, and Colin's Uber driver/date.)

I'm actually kind of curious to hear who Colin thinks is the best doctor from Doctor Who.  But I really want to hear more about Artem's screenplay.  I can see another The Room-like situation transpiring if a film was ever made.

Really enjoying the character interplay now, and how the entire cast works off one another.  Still love the little insights we're getting into the Ronnie/Nichole friendship, which mainly consist of Nichole trying to get Ronnie to get her life together.  Although, Ronnie's Taco Bell at 10:00 a.m. meals once again make me think she and Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Jake Peralta would be the best of friends.

• Love 6

I actually love the budding romance between Ronnie and the chef; he appears to adore her and it’s beyond sweet that he actually flies her airline some weekends just to see her. That being said though, he appears to have a LOT of extra time for a supposedly successful executive chef; not that this show is remotely based in reality, but that just seems rather odd overall. Hopefully those two work out and she gets to move in with a sweet guy who cooks for her and pampers her otherwise. There’s just way too much tension between her and Colin, despite the ongoing romantic tension the show keeps trying to sneak into their friendship.

Alan’s not-so-secret mancrush on Captain Dave cracks me up!! He’s gotta be the most delightfully enigmatic character on this show: is he just a goofy yet lovable weirdo, or is he merely a personal potpourri of endlessly questionable layers(bisexual aspiring dancer bowling pro with a drug problem)???

Artem directing his own warped version of “The Room”—-just imagine the possibilities!

Poor Dave just can’t catch a romantic break. Given his marital history, it’s no surprise; and he had zero chemistry with Nichole’s mom. He just needs to find a laidback bimbo who appreciates his brand of cheesy charms.

Truly digging this silly show still; it’s rare that I make a point to dial up sitcoms to watch. Hopefully it gets picked up for another season because this charismatic cast is such a hoot!

• Love 7

The two best lines were Bernard's, and both about Taco Bell:

"All of this is written on the back of a Taco Bell receipt...a 10:00 AM Taco Bell receipt"

"I enjoy food that is given out if a team makes free throws"

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, LadyKenobi said:

It’s hard for me to get invested in Ronnie and Chef Dude because they’ll inevitably be broken up for the showrunners’ insistence on a stupid running romantic angle (in this case her and Colin.)

Slide on, chile.

Yes, that's the very problem.  You just know its only short term, so I don't care much.  And I find it an odd plot choice so early on in the show.  Seems like something you would save until you know and are more invested in the main characters. 

• Love 1

I'm ready to go, after your next boyfriend. This time make it a straight one. Give me a challenge.

Does this mean that Bernard has to sleep with Alan or did Caroline finally pick a man that Bernard has no interest in.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I'm ready to go, after your next boyfriend. This time make it a straight one. Give me a challenge.

Does this mean that Bernard has to sleep with Alan or did Caroline finally pick a man that Bernard has no interest in.

I had the same thought!  That would be a fun plot line to follow.

• Love 5

I really get a kick out of the rivalry thing between Bernard and Caroline and the fact that she calls the flight crew "sky trash."

But I question the good taste of the window falling out joke, after that woman was sucked out of a window and killed on that Southwest flight last week. I realize this was filmed long before then but somebody on the network maybe should have caught that and made a last minute edit. (I'm not normally over-sensitive about stuff like that but that story was ALL over the news.)

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really get a kick out of the rivalry thing between Bernard and Caroline and the fact that she calls the flight crew "sky trash."

But I question the good taste of the window falling out joke, after that woman was sucked out of a window and killed on that Southwest flight last week. I realize this was filmed long before then but somebody on the network maybe should have caught that and made a last minute edit. (I'm not normally over-sensitive about stuff like that but that story was ALL over the news.)

I watched a lot about the story and didn't even think about it while watching the episode. Maybe because the plane was grounded, and you didn't actually see it? I think if it happened mid flight on the show, it would have been different.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

I didn’t think anything of it, either, especially since Bernard was removing the window on purpose and there weren’t any passengers on board.

I'm pretty sure Bernard said he was trying to remove a seatbelt and the window fell off.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Oh my GOD when Artem said "he's on fire like the cleft-handed children of my village" my husband and I were dying. We are so going to Hell.

I think it was "left-handed" which is even worse, since not so unusual.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think it was "left-handed" which is even worse, since not so unusual.

Oh I was wondering about that. I googled "cleft-hand" and it is a thing, so I went with it. :)

• Love 1

I liked how the resolution to the run at the craps table wasn't more tragic.  This show is full of surprises.

Since the falling-out window reference was a minor plot point, I think it just didn't occur to enough people at the network to be more sensitive.  (In fairness to the network, someone had to point it out to me.)

This was one of the better "ragtag team comes together" plots I've seen in a sitcom.  Thank you, show.  (Also, I want to take Mrs. Marketdoctor to the WedLocked escape room/chapel to renew our vows.)

• Love 7

I'm pretty sure Bernard said he was trying to remove a seatbelt and the window fell off.

Exactly, so the implication is that the plane is in such crappy condition a window can fall out just by bumping into it. Which conjures a rather frightening image of what could happen mid-air. 

• Love 2
On 4/22/2018 at 2:11 PM, LadyKenobi said:

It’s hard for me to get invested in Ronnie and Chef Dude because they’ll inevitably be broken up for the showrunners’ insistence on a stupid running romantic angle (in this case her and Colin.)

Keep the chef, write Colin off the show.  And step up First Officer Alan's role.

19 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I could happily watch every single one of Captain Dave's scenes multiple times. He has all the makings of an epic breakout character. 

Yes.  Dave watching the basketball game during landing is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I would like just one more Captain Steve sighting this season.  Dylan and Dermott work so well together.

• Love 1

I liked that they didn't do the normal "Character loses all of the money at the last minute" thing like they normally do, and Captain Dave ended up cashing out at the right time.  Of course, he's just going to use that money to buy another engagement ring for a marriage that will probably not work (assuming she even accepts), but that's Classic Captain Dave right there!

While I'm still mainly indifferent towards Ronnie's relationship with the chef, I did like how the drama over moving in with him led to more Ronnie/Nichole scenes.  I really like their friendship and how Nichole is usually the one that has to help Ronnie get her life together.

Caroline is proving to be a decent foil for Bernard.

Artem's backstory gets nuttier by the minute!

• Love 6

when I first heard about the show and saw the initial previews I thought this show was going to be incredibly stupid but it turned out to be pretty funny and even sweet at times.  Captain Dave and Ronnie have a weird relationship.  I liked where everyone ended up and that Ronnie made no choices in her life except to actually go somewhere other the LA or Vegas.

This is one of those comedies that shouldn’t work but does.  I hope it gets renewed.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is one of those comedies that shouldn’t work but does.  I hope it gets renewed.

I hope it does, but it's not looking good. I have really enjoyed too. 

On 4/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Caroline is proving to be a decent foil for Bernard.

Alan benefited from that feud too. Caroline was a lot different from Shauna Newport (Malwae-Tweep)'s character that Alison Becker played on Parks and Recreation. 

• Love 2

I'm fond of this show and the characters. Ratings haven't been great, but it's a crapshoot if it gets renewed or not. I hope it does. We have more stories and backstories to examine. Nonetheless, if this was the final ep, it ended well and had a fun run. If not, the door is open for new adventures in the air!

When Capt. Dave said he met his new gf at the pawnshop selling her ring, I knew he had hooked up with Colin's ex. A little too pat, but intriguing. It could get Colin off the hook or it could make his life (and divorce) even more difficult.

• Love 5
(edited)

I hope this show comes back. Sadly, the Cancel Bear thinks cancellation is likely:

Cancel Bear vs. FOX, week 31: ‘LA to Vegas’ will probably be grounded\

However, TV Grim Reaper says "likely renewed." (You have to scroll down to find it on the list.)

I knew the new girlfriend would be Colin's ex-wife, but it begs the question: who's watching their son while they're both in the same airport? It's kind of interesting that straight-laced Colin would hook up with (and marry) a magician's assistant.

I thought Bernard saying he would miss Ronnie if she moved sounded a little out of character, although I liked the little twist that it was Nichole he opened the door to. Given that she is presumably making some nice money, how is it that she didn't have her own apartment in the first place? I didn't even know she was living with her mother until she said Patricia had kicked her out.  

Poor Alan and his unrequited love for Captain Dave.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

Well that was a nice little season finale. I really do hope Fox gives this show a second season. It's not the best written sitcom ever but it makes me happy. There was some nice closure here too, with Bernard admitting he liked Ronnie staying with him then opening his home up to Nichole after she finally told her mother what she did for a living - and both arriving at the conclusion that they will never be honest again. LOL. Also liked that Colin put all his cards on the table with Ronnie - I hate when they drag that sort of thing out forever. 

It's kind of interesting that straight-laced Colin would hook up with (and marry) a magician's assistant.

Well, it was likely an ill-advised, drunken hookup and I could totally see straight-laced Colin thinking he needed to "do the right thing" by her. Kether Donohue plays his ex-wife, and she's a regular on the FXX dramedy You're The Worst. I wouldn't mind seeing her full time here next season, she really is funny.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

When Capt. Dave said he met his new gf at the pawnshop selling her ring, I knew he had hooked up with Colin's ex.

Me, too, and I was hoping he would go there and try to buy back his family heirloom.

• Love 2

A nice enough finale, I thought.  If the show does get renewed, I obviously suspect Ronnie will come back, but I'm curious to see what she will decided after she spends some time in Hong Kong.

Oh, Captain Dave!  You finally wise up and don't go through with the proposal to Nichole's mom, only to hook up and "fall in love" with Colin's ex instead.  Classic Captain Dave!

So, according to Artem, he's the normal one between him and his wife, and his wife is the "Artem" instead.  I really, really want to meet Artem's wife now.

Hope the show comes back, even though I'm prepared for the worst.  It may not be breaking barriers, but it has turned into a nice little show filled with characters and actors that I want to see more of.  Do it, FOX!

• Love 10

I could be wrong but I could swear they told us what Nichole's mother thought she did for a living, or possibly, that she was going to school, back in the episode where we first me her (the mother). I just don't remember what it is.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I could be wrong but I could swear they told us what Nichole's mother thought she did for a living, or possibly, that she was going to school, back in the episode where we first me her (the mother). I just don't remember what it is.

I believe she actually is a student during the week, but that wouldn't explain the weekend trips.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

58 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe she actually is a student during the week, but that wouldn't explain the weekend trips.

I thought Nichole had explained in the pilot or one of the early episodes that she made enough dancing in Vegas over the weekend that she didn't need to work another job. I never got the sense that she was a college student living at home, and that being a student was a lie she told her mother. When she helped Colin for his economics class, she said she'd like to take a class one day. 

• Love 2

I really loved the finale. I hope it's not the end, but it was a fitting enough ending, either way.

My favorite things were both during Dave's proposal. First it was Alan's devastated face as the cockpit door was closing, and then it was the slow reveal, as Captain Dave was walking down the isle, of Artem creeping behind him and watching the whole thing unfold. I didn't call it at the time, but all the faces of the entire cast, so happy and bright, even though they all knew Captain Dave was about to make a huge mistake, that was a lovely breakthrough moment for him, and for them all. A great way to end his story (and then we also had his great, wise and enlightening talk with Ronnie and the fact he fell in love with Colin's ex, both of which were classic Captain Dave moments).

I also loved Nicole, and how the actress has a very sweet way of showcasing emotion (both with Dave and with Bernard at the end there). She's wonderful and I want to see more of her.

Artem remains the best, and his wife being the Artem of their relationship is so delightfully... right. I'm glad he has found his Artem, and I hope we're all as lucky.

Best moment though? Captain Dave basing his entire opinion on Ronnie's boyfriend on a ponytail. And then, upon finding out the ponytail's gone, muttering "coward".

I loved this show very much. The cast and creators should be proud. Even if it gets cancelled, it won't have failed. It'll be one of those shows people look back on fondly.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Princess Lucky said:

I also loved Nicole, and how the actress has a very sweet way of showcasing emotion (both with Dave and with Bernard at the end there). She's wonderful and I want to see more of her.

My favorite Nichole line in this episode was when she said something about having been both an item and a bidder at a Hong Kong auction, which Ronnie largely ignored, only for Nichole to go, “You’re really not going to ask any follow up questions about that?”

• Love 18

This show just got better and better and Dylan McDermott is so perfect as Captain Dave.  I can’t quite believe he’s the same guy from The Practice.  I really hope it gets renewed and gets more attention.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

This show just got better and better and Dylan McDermott is so perfect as Captain Dave.  I can’t quite believe he’s the same guy from The Practice.

He's got such a great smile. It's so sweet and sincere, even when he's being smarmy.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

And cancelled.

Source? Last I’d read a few hours ago on Deadline, they were still discussing ways to potentially renew for a second season, including having Will Ferrell appear, as he’s an exec producer. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

Source? Last I’d read a few hours ago on Deadline, they were still discussing ways to potentially renew for a second season, including having Will Ferrell appear, as he’s an exec producer. 

On the one hand, I really want this show to come back. On the other, I don't find Will Ferrell funny at all. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 8:42 PM, thebigboot said:

And cancelled.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, MsNewsradio said:

It’s still in limbo.  It’s hasn’t officially been renewed buuuuut it hasn't been cancelled either.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3