Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Here's a clip from the fall

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFloXCb3Zs

That whole thing sure looked fake.  First words out of someone's mouth should have been, "Call 911!!!!"

I remember thinking that he was drunk and passed out. I figured they knew he'd come around eventually once the liquor wore off.

• Love 6

From Wikipedia:

"In 2003, Roloff agreed to enter an alcohol diversion program after being charged with driving under the influence. The arrest stemmed from an incident in which Roloff swerved his vehicle off the road and into a ditch. Upon his completion of the program, the charges were dropped.

On June 19, 2007, Roloff was pulled over by Washington County Sheriff's Deputy and charged with DUI. The deputy claimed that Roloff was driving outside the travel lane after leaving a bar parking lot. Roloff claimed that he had difficulty controlling the SUV because it was fitted with smaller pedal and brake extensions for his wife, and that he had dropped someone off in the bar parking lot.

Roloff pleaded not guilty to the DUI charge. A witness stated that the bar parking lot was used as a meeting spot and that he did not see Roloff drinking that night. Judge Donald LeTourneau acquitted Roloff on the DUI charge and dismissed the case due to jury misconduct and inability to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. Judge Le Tourneau also stated “I have found Mr. Roloff credible in this case." The trial was the subject of the season opener of Little People, Big World on March 3, 2008, and its conclusion on March 10, 2008."

============

Now, can we discuss Amy's wine glass in hand during every episode?

• Love 4

There is too much wine and whine on most reality shows.  I have heard about Matt's drinking problems, and suspect drugs...didn't his favorite long-time farm hand get busted for drugs as well as being illegal?  

Amy...I have no idea but she likes her wine.

• Love 3

Every dinner out, even while his DUI case was pending, Matt was there alcoholic beverage in hand.  It would not shock me if he drank and drove since he has seemed to do so on the actual show.  Amy, too, frequently has a glass of wine.  It seems a staple of their lives.

• Love 3

I have heard about Matt's drinking problems, and suspect drugs...didn't his favorite long-time farm hand get busted for drugs as well as being illegal?  

Yes, Camerino was found with two baggies of coke. Also, in Matt's first book, he acknowledges experimenting with coke.

I figured he was drunk, too, and that this was not an uncommon event.  That would explain the lack of response from everyone.

Yeah, everyone was a wee bit nonchalant about Matt with the oh so fragile health collapsing unconscious.

Every dinner out, even while his DUI case was pending, Matt was there alcoholic beverage in hand.  It would not shock me if he drank and drove since he has seemed to do so on the actual show.  Amy, too, frequently has a glass of wine.  It seems a staple of their lives.

I love alcohol. I'm probably going to have a glass of wine after I finish writing this. If Matt and Amy, and frankly Jer who always has a glass in hand on the show, and Auj, who has only toned it down since being prego and who was always wine glass in hand, want to drink? It's legal in this country, and they are adults.

If any of them get in a car loaded, no sympathy here. Personally I hate that "aversion" shit - Matt drove drunk in 2003 and basically got a hand slap for breaking the law and not giving a shit.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The rule is not that hard, Amy:

• Darlene and Brad invited Chris on their boat.
  • Darlene and Brad invited me on their boat.
  • Darlene and Brad invited Chris and me on their boat.

That's how I was taught to check my grammar. Try saying it by dropping one. You wouldn't say, "Darlene and Brad invited I on their boat," so don't say, "...invited Chris and I on their boat." Even if you reverse it, it works. "Chris and I went on their boat" not "Chris and me went on their boat." You don't say "Me went on their boat." It's "Chris and I went..." After awhile, as a kid learning this way, it just becomes natural. I've been with very well educated people who mix it up. Drives me crazy.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

From Wikipedia:

"In 2003, Roloff agreed to enter an alcohol diversion program after being charged with driving under the influence. The arrest stemmed from an incident in which Roloff swerved his vehicle off the road and into a ditch. Upon his completion of the program, the charges were dropped.

On June 19, 2007, Roloff was pulled over by Washington County Sheriff's Deputy and charged with DUI. The deputy claimed that Roloff was driving outside the travel lane after leaving a bar parking lot. Roloff claimed that he had difficulty controlling the SUV because it was fitted with smaller pedal and brake extensions for his wife, and that he had dropped someone off in the bar parking lot.

Roloff pleaded not guilty to the DUI charge. A witness stated that the bar parking lot was used as a meeting spot and that he did not see Roloff drinking that night. Judge Donald LeTourneau acquitted Roloff on the DUI charge and dismissed the case due to jury misconduct and inability to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. Judge Le Tourneau also stated “I have found Mr. Roloff credible in this case." The trial was the subject of the season opener of Little People, Big World on March 3, 2008, and its conclusion on March 10, 2008."

============

& in many of the scenes she looks as if she has had several glasses of wine. 

• Love 2

I imagine production encourages alcohol consumption. It lowers inhibitions, loosens tongues, and, in some cases, brings out the worst in people.  

On 7/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, AZChristian said:

When their is a handcuff dangling from her wrist as she lifts the glass of vino to her mouth, there will be something to discuss. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:
On 7/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, AZChristian said:

From Wikipedia:

============

& in many of the scenes she looks as if she has had several glasses of wine. 

While the DUI was pending, it seemed as though the film crew was a bit over Matt Roloff. That was when the sheer number of bottles of wine and beer were visible in most shots. I remember Matt's office, Matt's home office, and the kitchen being particularly hot spots. Since there's such limited access to his office (and Amy seemed to stay out of the home office as well), those can all be reasonably attributed to Matt. The kitchen I will grant you was probably a lot of Amy's bottles if not 50/50 for both of them.

1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

When their is a handcuff dangling from her wrist as she lifts the glass of vino to her mouth, there will be something to discuss. 

What she and Chris do off-camera is their own business.  ;-)

• Love 16
(edited)

I watched a couple of clips from back when the trial was going on and I was so shocked at how different Amy looked. I had forgotten how put together she used to look. Granted, she was still working back then and had to look presentable and it was what...9 years ago? Now she just looks so weathered and disheveled to me. 

Edited by Shmoopaloop
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, KateHearts said:

" Darlene and Brad invited Chris and I on their boat. "

Guess I know where Zach gets his stellar grammar skills.

Thank you.  Some people think it's always correct to write "and I" no matter what.  It's so bad that when I correctly use "and me" I always worry that people will think it's wrong.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Honey said:

Thank you.  Some people think it's always correct to write "and I" no matter what.  It's so bad that when I correctly use "and me" I always worry that people will think it's wrong.

But if people who "think" you're wrong ARE wrong, don't sweat it.

• Love 2
On 7/6/2017 at 7:29 PM, AZChristian said:

But if people who "think" you're wrong ARE wrong, don't sweat it.

You're right.  I shouldn't care what the ignorant people think anyway.

• Love 2
On 7/6/2017 at 4:19 PM, Shmoopaloop said:

I watched a couple of clips from back when the trial was going on and I was so shocked at how different Amy looked. I had forgotten how put together she used to look. Granted, she was still working back then and had to look presentable and it was what...9 years ago? Now she just looks so weathered and disheveled to me. 

Being in a relationship with megalomaniac Matt sucks the life out of you. Unless Caryn uses the family money for cosmetic procedures we'll see her age and disintegrate before our eyes. 

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

According to Matt Molly's being married on the farm. He and Caryn are flying back from Maui to plan.....

I guess the registry puts where they live, and not where the wedding will be.

"Here are the wedding registries for:Molly Roloff and Joel Silvius

Getting Married Saturday, August 5, 2017 in Washington"

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

From Matt's facebook:

Going to give this famous Mai Tai from the Maui monkey pod a try. Oh boy. !!! Those of you that know me .... know that Wailea Maui is like my home away from home.

Sounds like someone is trying to make it sound like he doesn't drink constantly. Oh boy!!! A mai tai!!! At one of the most popular restaurants in the town that is his home away from home !!!  Like he's never been there and had one of those before !!! 

Oh boy !!!

Just cut the shit Matt.  You're on vacation, have a drink already.  Nobody cares.  Just don't try to make it sound like it is some kind of wild novel experience that is a completely new thing to you.  Everybody knows better. 

And for god's sake take an uber home this time, please! 

20106553_10155214829937529_1484115159460699647_n.jpg

• Love 6

He *might* just never have tried their particular style of mai tai. There's a lot of signature drinks out there.

I wonder how Molly feels about Daddy Matt and Sidepiece Caryn planning her wedding...

12 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

He *might* just never have tried their particular style of mai tai. There's a lot of signature drinks out there.

mmm-hmm lol

I have the feeling Matt can tell you what the signature drinks are in every bar on Maui. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MegD said:

Robin Williams said it best. "Mai Tai, Polynesian for 'dumb fuck'."

I've never heard that Robin quote!! I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple months and that is one drink I can remember. Suggestions for tasty drinks with umbrellas brought poolside by oiled young men?  

• Love 1

If you want to get blasted try a Zombie.  They are actually quite tasty, especially if they are made with good, fresh juices.  But no more than two within a 6 hour period.  We want you back here posting and not passed out in some Hawaiian drunk tank ! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

I've never heard that Robin quote!! I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple months and that is one drink I can remember. Suggestions for tasty drinks with umbrellas brought poolside by oiled young men?  

There are no bad drinks with umbrellas brought poolside by oiled young man.  

• Love 9

Thanks for the drink  suggestions, making notes  in my phone. 

Am I remembering a hawaiian vacation where Matt left because he's was Not participating in what family  was doing?  And wanted to get backstage to work. It was years ago. He was a stick in the mud. So now it's his second home. 

He left the Utah "dude ranch" vacation early and the "float down the Mississippi " vacation early (and that one he also pointedly skipped the early part of the trip that involved Amy seeing her family) but he's generally stuck out the Hawaii vacations.

I think I recall the one you're thinking of tho - the kids were relatively young and Matt was increasingly annoyed that he was expected to be a parent and do things with the kids per Amy and was also annoyed that Amy had her own ideas of what the family would be doing. He was also a complete pill on the Costa Rica trip for similar reasons.

Basically Matt loves Hawaii (and travel) when Matt is allowed to do exactly what Matt wants. If Matt has to follow anyone else's agenda other than his own, then Matt hates travel and it takes so much out of him (and he'll make an awesome "pity me, I'm the martyr" puss face as he whines) and all Matt wants is to spend his life on his go-kart on the farm. 

Until two weeks later when he is jetting off to the Caribbean or Hawaii by himself. Then he's all fucking smiles. 

That's why I don't have a lot of patience for the folks who take Matt's side in his "I get so tuckered out, I'm worn out! Amy doesn't understand I'm dying! I just want to be on the farm, travel is too hard for me...." whining because Matt loves to travel when he's allowed to do exactly as he pleases and doesn't have the family in tow. Someone who didn't like to travel wouldn't have a passport stamped with a variety of exotic locations just within the last year. 

• Love 12

That too, Absolom especially after he was quite the bitch about how *he* was the team manager and the team was gonna go it alone without the DAAA because you know, Matt's leading this bitch!

Only to dump it all on Amy because he preferred playing with Jer-Bear. As I recall, he gave utterly NO FUCKS at all that he didn't organize a room for his two younger children... it was more important to play with Jeremy than get Molly and Jacob beds for the night. As I recall, stupid "All the things Amy does are useless and shitty things that Matt hates, Amy DOES NOTHING!" Amy Roloff dealt with that particular episode of Matt not giving a shit. 

I'm just really done with the "Pity poor Matt" party when it comes to the farm and to travel. When he doesn't want to do a trip, oh Jesus Christ travel is such a fucking misery to him and no one cares that he's in misery! And all he wants is to be on the farm, from morning till night, when on a trip he doesn't want to be on, all Matt wants and pines for is to plant himself into the farmland and be Matt the pumpkin farmer, bless him and his pain filled horror of a life traveling!

But as soon as Matt wants some fucking attention, Matt hates the farm and wants to sell it! The farm is misery! He's rather abandon the family and head to Hawaii and only show up for grandbabies because he's done with all the work and struggle and misery that is the farm....

I've actually seen in different places an an argument that before the show, Matt was working himself into a lather traveling for his software job before the show and Amy was you know, doing *nothing* but raising the kids so Amy is quite the bitch for demanding Matt travel when he's so horrified by it.

So, while I do think there's a bit of a fair argument in there in that Matt was providing the family a living by working and was giving up time with the family in order to provide. I'm not unfair.  That is a sacrifice. But honestly I doubt being home alone with 4 kids under ten for days and weeks was stress free and carefree and I really dislike the narrative of how Matt had force himself into hated travel (when this topic comes up, Matt always hates being away from his precious farm) because you'll forgive me but... that what you have to if you make the judgement call to have children. You have to work to support them. I'm willing to bet Amy wasn't happy in those early years to essentially function like a single mom, and you know what else? I have friends and coworkers who work and support four kids... and they don't have to travel at all! And the work we do? A little person could get - we have several little people at work. Matt made the choice to work a job that involved travel. 

I suppose, to wrap this up, I'm just tired of the pity party that is Matt Roloff. When he wants pity, he lays it on and people lap it up and don't question the "I hate travel and love the farm!" vs "I hate the farm! I'm casually jetting off to Hawaii and I've got a zillion United miles to blow on casual trips!" that he tells almost in the same breath. 

• Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Basically Matt loves Hawaii (and travel) when Matt is allowed to do exactly what Matt wants. If Matt has to follow anyone else's agenda other than his own, then Matt hates travel and it takes so much out of him (and he'll make an awesome "pity me, I'm the martyr" puss face as he whines) and all Matt wants is to spend his life on his go-kart on the farm. 

I think you could substitute a lot of things for Hawaii/travel in your statement and it would still be true. It's Matt's way or else.

Edited by MargeGunderson
Spelling
  • Love 5