Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

Just now, BusyOctober said:

My friend’s sister owns a pretty good sized (very respected and sought after) catering company.  She has several box trucks outfitted with refrigerators and heating ovens for events on farms or in historic buildings without kitchens.  I went to 2 events she catered and the food was not only delicious, but served at the appropriate temperature with no problems… Prime rib was piping hot, shrimp cocktail was chilled and sorbet was just right semi-soft/frozen consistency.  Of course she runs a professional company and employs professional chefs and servers, so she gives her clients a great experience.

Who knows what kind of caterers Amy/TLC will have for the Grand Celebration of the Century. If Amy’s Little Koapectate Kitchen is handing any of the food prep, I hope the guests have the nearest hospital programmed into their GPS.

Kaopectate Kitchen. OMG I'm dying! 😅

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

My friend’s sister owns a pretty good sized (very respected and sought after) catering company.  She has several box trucks outfitted with refrigerators and heating ovens for events on farms or in historic buildings without kitchens.  I went to 2 events she catered and the food was not only delicious, but served at the appropriate temperature with no problems… Prime rib was piping hot, shrimp cocktail was chilled and sorbet was just right semi-soft/frozen consistency.  Of course she runs a professional company and employs professional chefs and servers, so she gives her clients a great experience.

Who knows what kind of caterers Amy/TLC will have for the Grand Celebration of the Century. If Amy’s Little Koapectate Kitchen is handing any of the food prep, I hope the guests have the nearest hospital programmed into their GPS.

Omfg…. Kaopectate kitchen!!!

too funny!! 😂😂😂

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I love how Tori and Zach are so over Amy’s immature, Bridezilla attitude toward this wedding.  I could feel Tori trying to not eye roll over all Amy’s “MY a wedding” BS.

Zach's expressions when Amy was asking Jackson to be in the wedding were killing me. He's SO over her nonsense. Tori at least managed to try to be polite about her thoughts. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
On 8/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Amy and Chris's place - they have picked best man and maid of honor and are having the two over to try the specialty drinks. But they've lost the recipes for the Seabreeze and the Cosmo and like, I think those are on Wikipedia. The producers are all "does Amy

Ikr!  I'm thinking, uhhh there's this thing called Google on the internet.  There's probably millions of recipes for those drinks. 😏

And of course Chris had to passive aggressively shame Amy on losing the paper with the drinks they picked out on it.  🙄 

Oh yea....and as far as I'm concerned, you can never have enough cheese.  Hoarding or not, lol.   Better to have some go bad than not having the perfect cheese on hand at all times 🧀     jmo

Edited by suev3333
Added on a thought
  • Love 4

If Chris is that concerned about cheese hoarding, he should just bring Matt a cheese plate the next time he goes to the DW.  I bet Amy would never buy cheese again.  Forget about sinks or closets, I think Chris might need his and hers refrigerators. FWIW I’m pro-mucho cheese.

I do find it interesting the “fights” on the show revolve around cheese and completely mundane drink recipes.  Either it really is so easy or this is a powder keg waiting to happen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

In earlier seasons, when her parents visited.  He'd walk around with an ever-present drink in hand making snide, sarcastic remarks about Matt and his projects.  Nasty attitude!  And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

This isn't actually accurate. Amy's Dad first shows up in Season Two, Episodes 13 and 14, A Roloff Thanksgiving 1 and 2.  He did arrive with what looked like a soda beverage bottle. I stopped and started it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a wine bottle, and it wasn't. This was the first episode

The actual walk around the farm was in the second episode. The walk did not include him carrying any beverages at all. No slurring in his well aimed barbs about maintenance.

At one point he is holding a crushed red Solo cup. As he heads up the porch, he's clearly picked up some trash. No beverages, no drinking. 

He also 1) was clearly playing to the cameras on the walk around, playing the demanding in law and b) wasn't wrong with how ratty some of the areas of the farm looked. 

This episode, the second part, is also the only time we see Matt's sister. She and Molly are clearly related. Likewise Jeremy and Amy's brother. 

ETA - I'd also says Amy looked a lot more put together in this much earlier episode. 

Also there was wine at the actual dinner.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

JMO…. The Jackson worship was funny/cute at first but now it’s starting to sound like a cult… he walks in like he owns the place probably isn’t the best thing for him.

it’s good to encourage him and praise him when he deserves it but this over the top adulation is starting to sound ridiculous and more importantly I don’t think it’s preparing him for the reality ahead of him…. Other people aren’t going to fall all over themselves and act like he’s running the show and he’s the Man!

He’s gonna be shocked when reality hits him between the eyes, not only will he not be the Man but he’ll probably be bullied, teased and have to try twice as hard for recognition and respect. 

5 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Agree.  It's bad enough when grandparents do it, but that's kind of their prerogative.  The parents are supposed to be the reality check; not falling all over themselves laughing at every word he (barely) says.

I agree it’s ok to boost Jackson’s self-esteem like when he’s helping with the flowers or the chickens.  He will need confidence, and I’m not sure what age is the appropriate age to have the LP talk with Jackson.  It’s one of the few times, Amy showed some real insight when she was explaining the height talk with Caryn.  

However, everyone doesn’t need to fawn over him, especially when he exhibits bad behavior.  Jackson will probably have it even harder in many respects than Zach because, in the early episodes, Jeremy seem to give Zach a built-in friend circle initially. I do wonder if some of Zach’s campsite clearing is the beginning of giving Jackson an opportunity to make part of the farm “his” to invite potential friends over to help build his confidence/alleviate potential bullying.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

This isn't actually accurate. Amy's Dad first shows up in Season Two, Episodes 13 and 14, A Roloff Thanksgiving 1 and 2.  He did arrive with what looked like a soda beverage bottle. I stopped and started it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a wine bottle, and it wasn't. This was the first episode

The actual walk around the farm was in the second episode. The walk did not include him carrying any beverages at all. No slurring in his well aimed barbs about maintenance.

At one point he is holding a crushed red Solo cup. As he heads up the porch, he's clearly picked up some trash. No beverages, no drinking. 

He also 1) was clearly playing to the cameras on the walk around, playing the demanding in law and b) wasn't wrong with how ratty some of the areas of the farm looked. 

This episode, the second part, is also the only time we see Matt's sister. She and Molly are clearly related. Likewise Jeremy and Amy's brother. 

ETA - I'd also says Amy looked a lot more put together in this much earlier episode. 

Ay caramba!

• LOL 6

Not being mean here about Amy's stature, but wouldn't it have been better for Amy to try on flower girl dresses to act as her wedding gown? Some of those dresses are quite pretty; I'm not speaking about a 2 year old's fashion. Wouldn't those dresses been full length on her? The proportions would have looked better and less alterations.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I think her issue is length, not proportion. I think she’s got a woman’s proportion,  short length.  Perhaps those flower girl dresses wouldn’t fit up top. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, zenme said:

I think her issue is length, not proportion. I think she’s got a woman’s proportion,  short length.  Perhaps those flower girl dresses wouldn’t fit up top. 

Yeah. look at Ember - about Amy's height and the actual flower girl. Amy has an adult middle with short stubby arms and legs. She's not going to fit into a child's dress. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

She would have to get a girls X size or husky, whatever they call it these days.  I think Amy already had a gown made for herself.  I bet the shopping trip was just for show.  We all know she wants to look perfect that day.  No way she is buying an off the rack dress and having the length cut down so much that it ruins the dress.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

If Chris is that concerned about cheese hoarding, he should just bring Matt a cheese plate the next time he goes to the DW.  I bet Amy would never buy cheese again.  Forget about sinks or closets, I think Chris might need his and hers refrigerators. FWIW I’m pro-mucho cheese.

I do find it interesting the “fights” on the show revolve around cheese and completely mundane drink recipes.  Either it really is so easy or this is a powder keg waiting to happen.

As Oprah used to famously say, "When you fight about the socks, it's never about the socks."

11 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Did Amy say "worldwind" again??   ☺️😆

🤐

TLC's own Mrs. Malaprop.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Well, he always seems to have a drink in hand in his photos now (you can research that, too); maybe to make up for lost time!  Someone on Previously TV hilariously always referred to him as "Amy's drunk dad," so I assume there was a reason.  And drunk or sober (drunk would actually be preferable), he was nasty and insulting to Matt at every opportunity.

12 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Zach's expressions when Amy was asking Jackson to be in the wedding were killing me. He's SO over her nonsense. Tori at least managed to try to be polite about her thoughts. 

Why is Amy so OTT and fake-sounding around her grands?  It's like she's trying too hard.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, zenme said:

The dresses actually fit her perfectly except for the length.  I would suggest cocktail-length (some brides, especially for second weddings and vow renewal -- another TLC staple -- wear those), hitting just above the knee; that would be the perfect floor-length for Amy, I would think.

I'm not so sure she wouldn't go off the rack; remember: she's cheap!  But she also doesn't seem to mind wasting food, so maybe she's just selectively cheap.  

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 6

I'd honestly suggest rewatching the episodes. It was pretty spot on. Also I've seen every episode and Gordon has never appeared intoxicated nor does he appear holding alcoholic beverages more often than anyone else. Point - in the same episode Matt's mom was drinking wine, but if I called  her Matt's drunk mom, would I be accurate?

Eta: Gordon also said some really kind things about Matt in that episode. The older episodes aren't the hatefest that people think they are. Frankly the show was a lot more watchable.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I only remember Amy's dad during the Thanksgiving episode.  He was not very nice.  I don't care enough about the show or the family to research and rewatch in order to prove someone wrong.  I don't care if something gets exaggerated.  It's all for fun!

12 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

If Chris is that concerned about cheese hoarding, he should just bring Matt a cheese plate the next time he goes to the DW

Chris complaining about too much cheese on hand is probably one of the reasons Amy said she pays the food bill.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Whereas I like being accurate. To each their own. Gordon wasn't wandering about drunk with a glass of alcohol in his hands as he inspected dilapidated structures and called them dilapidated.

For the record, I'm sure if I just made something up out of whole cloth like "Matt was drunk, holding a whiskey bottle slapping Caryn in the face" then I wouldn't get a 'no one cares about accuracy, this is just for fun response.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 4

I just watched the last episode. Amy's arm and hand flapping is irritating, and seems to be getting worse. She looks like a freaking T-Rex flapping it's arms around. I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

We all have our pet peeves.  Mine is when she falls into that masculine way of walking and talking.

She likes to think she's a real badass, when mostly she's just an ass, in more ways than one.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Well Zach is probably one of the most self absorbed know it alls on the show...he always has a smirk on his face about something so it wouldn't be a complete episode if he wasn't being a little snot about something. Tori doesn't like Amy...it seems kinda obvious....but she'll still ask her to babysit and will gladly eat any food Amy makes and brings over to them. 

• Love 5

I waver with Zach. Sometimes it seems like he's matured and then sometimes he's thd same old lump on a log.

I don't think Tory dislikes Amy but I do think the wedding drama gets super old, and the angst over moving got old. 

• Love 5
On 8/4/2021 at 12:18 AM, zenme said:

Anyone else see Lilah ding her head on the table? Poor baby. It happens, but I felt bad for her. 😔

I actually was appalled at how Lilah was totally ignored...she was plopped down on the dirt/gravel while Mom and Dad oooed and awwed over how great Jackson is. It was absoloutely stunning how no one knelt down and picked her up, except for Amy, who picked her up several times and hugged her. She hit her head and no one noticed...and they are wanting another child? Really? Yet Jackson picked up a flower pot and it was a major big deal. Honestly, this kid is getting an over inflated ego and poor little Lilah is destined to always be the second banana that Grandpa ignores and Mom and Dad barely even pay attention to. She's such a sweet little thing...I feel sorry for her and the way she's just relegated to being second fiddle to a big brother who dominates in every way possible and has the full attention of all the adults in his life.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

Matt's a hoarder. Yes yes, these statues were "used for pumpkin season" as a sort of weird 'look we have dinosaur sculptures' thing, but the barns are filled to the brim with prior pumpkin season ideas and things that can't be gotten rid of because he got a deal on them at auction. There's a barn loaded with multiple wooden chairs.  He considers it all necessary. That farm will be a nightmare to clear out. 

Yeah, I was kinda like "If I can order it at Chili's, then its probably not a secret recipe. 

I feel like Tory shares my opinion that its just not that big of a deal. I also liked how she discussed letting Zach participate. Personally I think Chris should spend less time playing with Matt and more time making up his mind whether he's participating or not. 

The horse and Bigfoot were also stored in the barn, we saw them. 

Probably not that much if its taken this long for Chris to get a peak inside the log cabin.

Hopefully everyone learns to tone it down a little. He's probably a good kid but constantly hearing how awesome he is can be a problem. Look at Jeremy for an example of that.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, MrBuhBye said:

Does Amy think she discovered the Cosmo?  I guess Matt was too cheap to spring for HBO 20 years ago.

Just torch it.

Do all log cabins have those giant gaps between logs?  Could get a bit drafty and/or wet.

I was thinking the same thing about the cabin...a real log cabin has a sealant put in between the logs called "chinking". Maybe Matt will be doing that...if not, all kinds of issues can arise besides cold weather, snow and rain, including...insects, snakes, mice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, zenme said:

Those dresses she tried on looked terrible on her...even if she were a 5'4" it would be inappropriate. They were made for a much younger woman...too much flounce and lace. Ball gowns do not work for her size and frame. She almost needs to have someone design and make something for her that is age appropriate for a second wedding. She really is carrying on like she's 28 years old and getting married for the first time. Tone it down honey!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10

I’m not sure what age is the appropriate age to have the LP talk with Jackson

Hopefully, it will be a gradual discussion, like when parents talk to their kids about sex.  You give them age-appropriate information when it comes up.  I have a disabled daughter and we never had "the talk" about her disability.  She has basically known all her life and just got more details as she grew up.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

For the record, I'm sure if I just made something up out of whole cloth like "Matt was drunk, holding a whiskey bottle slapping Caryn in the face" then I wouldn't get a 'no one cares about accuracy, this is just for fun response.

Everyone is entitled to post what they want, do it!

1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

We all have our pet peeves.  Mine is when she falls into that masculine way of walking and talking.

She is not feminine at all!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Hopefully everyone learns to tone it down a little. He's probably a good kid but constantly hearing how awesome he is can be a problem. Look at Jeremy for an example of that.

I was thinking the same thing about the cabin...a real log cabin has a sealant put in between the logs called "chinking". Maybe Matt will be doing that...if not, all kinds of issues can arise besides cold weather, snow and rain, including...insects, snakes, mice.

Matt chinked the cabin.  He posted a photo of it, and it was posted here.  Matt knows what he's doing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Matt chinked the cabin.  He posted a photo of it, and it was posted here.  Matt knows what he's doing.

Good to hear..no one said he didn't know what he was doing...someone just commented on the space between the logs and I explained what is usually done to fix that.

• Love 2
Just now, BrownBear2012 said:

I'm surprised the moderator hasn't taken that down...that poor child has enough to deal with in life let alone people's cruel comments on the Internet.

Agreed! The comment brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Lilah is such a beautiful girl! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

Mine is that cute little baby talk, "Hi, I'm Amy in Amy Roloff's Little Kitchen", which she sometimes says several times during a video. 🙄

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Mine is that cute little baby talk, "Hi, I'm Amy in Amy Roloff's Little Kitchen", which she sometimes says several times during a video. 🙄

"...please suscribe..."

• LOL 7

Nothing about Amy's current lifestyle suggests she's *needing* money. She may want the security of more money coming in thru venues other than the show and she's obviously attempting to build a social media empire so oc course she's going to want people to subscribe.

Even my church podcast does it, which kind of amuses me. ;)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I'm sure she doesn't need the money, but she's always asking people to subscribe on YouTube.  Why does she do this?  So she can brag about all the fans she has? 

I don't know, but that's when her baby voice is at its worst!  And it kills me that she leaves the "b" out.

• LOL 3
23 hours ago, floridamom said:

I'm quite surprised that Amy didn't ask her only daughter to be her matron of honor. Is her father going to walk her up the aisle?

I’m surprised she didn’t include Deb in the bridal party since wasn’t it Deb’s prodding that caused Amy and Chris to meet up supposedly at the paint night although they didn’t really hook up there, it lead to his invitation to the pool party.  I thought she’d have Lisa and Deb up there with her, but I guess Deb has played her part with the wedding dress shopping *and wedding drink debacle.

*It was Lisa at the drink debacle 😂 

Edited by Irate Panda
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Maybe her man likes baby talk and that is why she does it

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Was Deb at the drink tasting?  Thought it was just Lisa and the best man.  I also thought she might ask Molly to be her matron of honor.  

You are right it was Lisa and her husband and the best man and his wife. 

• Love 2