Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

I watched the Sister Wives vacation and then the Roloff vacation. It's as if they went to two different places. I know editing plays a role, but damn. One family that's supposed to be sooo happy vs one going through a divorce. It was like day and night.

• Love 3

And to be fair, Matt was actually griping that Wharton wasn't likely to consider someone with Jeremy's so special attributes because all Wharton and schools like Wharton care about is how people look on paper after being tested academically. Which, if Jeremy wasn't, at the time, merrily failing tenth grade because no one, including Matt, really gave two shits about school. At one point, Amy was actually suggesting they put Jeremy in an easier school. Matt also always harped on how he never went to college, that he went for one semester and it was a waste of his time, and how he went to the school of hard knocks and look how he turned out. It's also very clear in how Matt handled Jacob's expulsion from Faith, that he had little respect for education and schools.

I also note that Matt will throw down how he spent "his entire childhood" in hospitals when his off the cuff postings get citing for grammar and spelling - see, these things are only taught during the time he missed and since he missed them, and he was in the hospital suffering, anyone who draws attention to it is a monster ripping on a poor dwarf. When Matt is at fault, there's always an excuse that revolves around his being a dwarf and being mistreated for it, and he's the victim.

• Love 7

Oh my gosh! Matt said they should all make a pack not pac(t) to get together every year for family vacation. I was screaming at the TV at that one. I swear they are doing this to get more attn.? Can they really not know some basic words, especially when they are written so clearly and simply in black and white on paper? I'd rather hear Amy botch parmeseon cheese! Have we ever heard her attempt Worcestershire sauce???

• Love 2
On June 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Absolom said:

Ratings for 6/7: 1.133 M viewers and a .31 rating.

I enjoy seeing these numbers, but sadly, I am ignorant of what would be considered a good number. Could you give an example of what is considered great, and what is considered a number that could get a show canceled?

• Love 2
On June 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM, autumnh said:

Listening to Amy talk, she always sounds self defeating and sounds like she has self esteem issues..and then I realize...well duh..she was married to Matt!

I was initially going to speak to Amy's whole air of 'defeatism', but then I felt the same way. After reading through all the Matt wants, Jer and Auj want, Amy wants, I feel exhausted (and defeated)! And we haven't even figured out what Jacob and Molly and Zach want.

But then I realized, Matt and Amy have only themselves to blame. Bottom line, they are too young to have their kids sizing up how much it will cost to get rid of ma and pa. There is no reason for them to be worried about a legacy , etc.  The property is of interest to the networks if little people continue to operate it, and last time I checked that meant Zach. SO sell the damn land, split the cash between Amy and Matt and yes, if either of them feels like sharing some of the wealth do so... but that's it. Time for the kids to make their own way and name in the world. 

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've heard other semi-educated people say "Parmesian."  Given her atrocious grammar and pronunciation, I think Amy just doesn't know any better.

Maybe she just doesn't care what the Grammar Police think.  I'd love it if she used odd words and phrases deliberately to annoy them!

From what I've read Amy has reconciled with Jacob (I'm not sure if Matt has) and has visited him and his Significant Other twice in  the last few months.  Jacob never wanted to be on the show -- as a kid, he had no voice in the matter; now that he's an adult, he can say "Thank, no thanks".  It looks like Molly is more interested in selling crafts and defending anti-gay comments than being on the show.  If they both said, "we're done", it might explain the "whole family" comments.

Edited by jhlipton
Molly and Jacob
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Chalby said:

I was initially going to speak to Amy's whole air of 'defeatism', but then I felt the same way. After reading through all the Matt wants, Jer and Auj want, Amy wants, I feel exhausted (and defeated)! And we haven't even figured out what Jacob and Molly and Zach want.

But then I realized, Matt and Amy have only themselves to blame. Bottom line, they are too young to have their kids sizing up how much it will cost to get rid of ma and pa. There is no reason for them to be worried about a legacy , etc.  The property is of interest to the networks if little people continue to operate it, and last time I checked that meant Zach. SO sell the damn land, split the cash between Amy and Matt and yes, if either of them feels like sharing some of the wealth do so... but that's it. Time for the kids to make their own way and name in the world. 

True, Matt and Amy are too young for their kids to be thinking about a legacy. Even though Matt claims he won't live to a ripe old age, you never know. Amy may live and be active for a very, very long time yet. Jer does need to figure out something besides the farm to support himself -- he could be looking at a "Prince Charles" situation, waiting around for his legacy.

A thought occured to me when Matt was talking about buying more property so that he could have a nicer house -- was he thinking to install Jer and Auj in the double-wide and employ Jer as some kind of farm overseer?

Also, I too cringed every time "whole family" was said on vacation. Couldn't they at least mention that the other siblings couldn't make it, but that it was nice to take a trip with the twins and their spouses? They wouldn't even have to mention them by name, but they didn't have to repeat " whole family" again and again.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Chalby said:

I enjoy seeing these numbers, but sadly, I am ignorant of what would be considered a good number. Could you give an example of what is considered great, and what is considered a number that could get a show canceled?

Good would be 2 M or more viewers per episode. 4 M per episode would make people at TLC ecstatic. Fair is around 1.5 M per episode.  Getting cancelled soon is around 800 to 900 K viewers per episode.  Those are rough guides and vary season to season and with production costs.  So far TLC has cancelled every show that I've noticed that was consistently going 750 K or fewer viewers per episode.  They've cancelled some at higher numbers that were older shows probably due to production costs since they're usually higher on older shows.

• Love 6
On June-30-16 at 9:14 AM, Adiba said:

If the Roloffs had been an average, non-reality tv family, I would not have the opinion that their children are entitled to any part of the farm as an inheritance or as a gift. Also, if the kids have trust funds due to their participation in show or if they have been given " start- up" money as adults, I would say that that is fair.

However, to expose your children's lives on Tv for your own profit without putting money in trust or intending to leave them some kind of inheritance in remuneration is unethical, imo. (again, no legal basis for this, just my opinion.)

Where has it ever been said that Matt and Amy do not intend to leave their children an inheritance? Who else would they leave an inheritance to, if not their children? However that is completely different than the children - namely Jer - feeling that he should be handed over the farm while his parents are very much alive. Amy and Matt are in their early to mid 50s so have many years ahead of them yet where they will need finanaces to support their retirement years.

I have read several sites that stated that TLC does pay minor children on reality shows and the pay goes into a trust. So they have been compensated at least somewhat for appearing on the show. And of course now as adults Jer and Zack are being paid (and presumably Tory and Odd). I have no idea what the farm is worth, or Matt and Amy's net worth but one would think that whatever the children might inherit after their parents are gone would be a great deal more than if they had never been on a reality show to begin with and were merely operating a farm in Oregon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Where has it ever been said that Matt and Amy do not intend to leave their children an inheritance? Who else would they leave an inheritance to, if not their children? However that is completely different than the children - namely Jer - feeling that he should be handed over the farm while his parents are very much alive. Amy and Matt are in their early to mid 50s so have many years ahead of them yet where they will need finanaces to support their retirement years.

I have read several sites that stated that TLC does pay minor children on reality shows and the pay goes into a trust. So they have been compensated at least somewhat for appearing on the show. And of course now as adults Jer and Zack are being paid (and presumably Tory and Odd). I have no idea what the farm is worth, or Matt and Amy's net worth but one would think that whatever the children might inherit after their parents are gone would be a great deal more than if they had never been on a reality show to begin with and were merely operating a farm in Oregon.

No, I was not saying that they were not going to leave the kids anything--I meant IF they did not or IF nothing was given in remuneration to the kids for their participation on the show ( the show started when they were all minors) it was just my opinion that that would not be fair.  I have no idea for fact what is and is not in Matt or Amy's wills,lol-- nor do I know what has or has not been paid to the Roloff kids for appearing on the show.

I don't believe TLC pays minor children for participation in reality shows, but I could be wrong. IIRC, the Gosselin kids were not paid anything separately.  

Of course, now that the kids all are adults, it is up to them to either negotiate a contract for participation or refuse to appear on the show.

Out of all "reality" shows I've seen, I think this show has the most redundancy as far as dialogue. It drives me bananas. In every single episode they say THE EXACT SAME THINGS worded a teeny bit differently each time. Amy and Matt are particularly guilty of this.

"We're so excited to go to Hawaii. I'm so glad everyone is going to be together." 

Next scene: "We're so excited the whole family together is here in Hawaii."

Next scene: "I'm so excited to go (fill in the blank) here in beautiful Hawaii and it's so great because the whole family is here."

Next scene: "Hawaii is so beautiful and I'm so excited that we could make this trip together."

Next scene: "This Hawaiian vacation is so amazing and we're so excited to be able to share it as a family."

and on and on and on. Take any subject...Thanksgiving, the divorce, etc. and they rehash the same sentiment a skillion times throughout the episode. Lots of talking, saying nothing. Even Real Housewives have a larger vocabulary and range of thought (gasp!). 

• Love 5

The Gosselin kids and the Honey Boo Boo kids were never paid separately.  What happened with the Gosselins is the state of Pennsylvania passed a law and that forced the parents to set up trust accounts and a small percentage of the proceeds of the show was put into trust for all the children.  It worked out to maybe 3% of the proceeds per child.  Plus the parents could use the money in trust for all or any of the children's health, education, or welfare needs.

June basically lied about having trusts for the girls.  She set up bank accounts that she controlled and took money out to spend on the girls.

I would say the Roloffs seem to have used money from the show to benefit all the kids.  College seemed to be on offer for anyone who wanted it.  They had plenty of cars, friends, parties, clothes, food, etc.  I don't think I ever heard anyone really want to stint on things for the kids. 

Yeah, no one from TLC has ever spoken *on the record* and said that the kids on their reality shows all have trust funds established by TLC for their wages. Absolom is correct - the whole issue of payment came up BECAUSE it became concerning that the Gosselin kids were being whored out. LBPW and Jon and Kate Plus 8 started at about the same time. If TLC didn't set up trust funds for wages for the Gosselins, or the Duggars or the Honey Boo Boo kids or any of the other families, and if no one at TLC is willing to say "I'm John Smith, I work at TLC and we made certain all child reality stars were set up with trust funds" (and no one at TLC is willing to say this on the record) then I think it is fair to say that Matt and Amy Roloff were not required to put aside any money for the kids out of the checks that were written to them in the name of R6 Productions.

That said, I do think it's possible that the Roloffs put aside money for each kid. They're just unwilling to discuss it so it can't be assumed until they do. And they probably won't.

I don't think any of the Roloff kids went to school in welfare box clothes while Matt and Amy lived high on the hog... but I also don't think the money earned was split evenly six ways. A lot of the money earned went into the farm and stuff for Matt and Amy. The new property, the completely rebuilt mcmansion, yes the double wide, the various cars, the pool, the sport court... some of this was tradeouts but some of it was Matt and Amy spending show money.

• Love 4

In theory I agree - but they are happily accepting a pay check as they display their conflicts over their financial arrangements so they don't get to get up on that privacy high horse over whether or not they will sell the farm or hand it over to one of their four children is too private for people to be talking about.

If they don't want people talking about it, then perhaps they shouldn't get on national tv and discuss their private financial arrangements. There's a reason no one here knows how my mom and dad plan to disperse their home to their children, and it's because I don't make a point of discussing it publically. (I think mom and dad's current plan is to set fire to the place as they die to spite us all)

I mean, the entire episode was about how the farm is a financial asset and what they are considering for it. If they don't want to answer questions, no one can make them, but it's unreasonable of the Roloffs to air their dirty laundry in public and then act totally outraged that people are discussing their private financial arrangements.

• Love 7

I disagree . The farm is highly visable as a set for the show. Discussing one single asset does not mean they have to divulge  any thing else  especially items belonging to adult offspring.

• Love 1

No one is demanding the Roloffs answer questions, and the Roloffs certainly can't be forced to answer questions. But we do have every right to discuss it. Especially since they *are* putting it out there.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Although they don't have to discuss it, I would like to see the final divorce decree, out of curiosity.

There is a link to the divorce decree HERE.

I find it very interesting that Molly was given what is apparently her car but also given the debt associated with the car. Not that they are required to pay for any child's car, but they seem to have paid for the twins' cars. There's also no mention of a car for Jacob. Given Jacob's age, I would have expected to see a mention of a car for him.

• Love 1

If Jeremy and Audrey truly want the farm they should "quit playing in Bend"...move back to the farm and work under Matt and Amy and prove themselves worthy.  I'm sure Amy would love to have Jer and Audrey back in the house and Matt would be ecstatic to have his buddy back in town full time.  

• Love 3

I'm really not understanding what the twins want. Zach said he wants nothing to do with the farm, only to bring his kids over there to play in the future when he does have kids. Jeremy wants the farm so he can do what his dad has always done which is to be the boss and "idea man" with the employees doing most of the work?  So does that mean Zach and Tori are going to be content getting nothing? Or are they saying Jer can buy them out when the time comes? If that's the case, I agree with Matt. It's a disaster waiting to happen. 

Oh, and the wives need to keep their mouths shut a little more about the Roloff fortune. Jerk and Odd have only been married a year, Zach and Tori even less than that. It's way too soon for them to be interjecting their opinions. And I agree that if Jeremy was really interested in running the farm, he would be there now, along side his dad, learning everything he can about handling the business. 

• Love 10

Given the relationship Zach and Tori have I think she's just supporting his position.  I think Oddj is looking at the future property settlement.

I think Zach's position is that he wants Sully and his kids to be able to run around and have the adventures he had as a kid but isn't interested in running the farm. Jer seems to see the fun and power of running the farm without seeing the responsibility and pressure Matt has dealt with all these years. Before the show the farm was struggling, and I expect it will again without someone crop oriented to run it. Jer seems to think TLC will continue filming forever, but if they get one or two solid hits the Roloffs will be history.

• Love 5

I don't want to be supercritical of the marriage of Jer and Auj because I think ANY marriage has its rocky moments. That said, what I will say is that a) I don't think they are helping themselves by intentionally shining a light on their marriage and essentially inviting public comment and b) I find it concerning that they seem to have a constant refrain of how they are *fighting* and *battling* for their marriage to last. Marriage isn't a war, and I wonder if this mindset is creating tension.

• Love 10

What bothers me is their inference while with their parents that they are smarter and they see the Roloff parents as failing at marriage. I was married for almost twenty years and had two sons from that marriage that have turned out to be great humans. I can still talk to their father anytime i need to about the kids or even other family and have maintained relationships with extended family. 

I dont consider my marriage a failure due to it not lasting fifty years. ..but maybe I'm a positive person. It happened. .there was so much good that came out of it and we can all still be in each other's lives. 

Those two experts need to stfu.

It hurts their parents and it is unnecessary.

While watching the twins weddings,  I actually felt for both Amy and Matt. Bittersweet moments watching your children get married while yours was ending,  I'm sure. 

• Love 12

Good thing I'm not a Roloff.  If my gate needed a new lock on my gate, I'd just want a new lock.  I really wouldn't want the hassle of building a new gate.  I wouldn't like every minor repair turned into a big project.

• Love 3

A guest at Matt's stag party says to Zachary, "Hey, I saw you got a new gate."   God, these people are boring.  And, why is Bill at Matt's beck and call?  Is he Matt's AA sponsor?

• Love 1

I think all the farm talk is just for the show. Concerning any inheritance, any SERIOUS discussion about the inheritance is done in private and takes into consideration ALL of Matt & Amy's children. All these things that go on might have some basis in reality but are probably all blown out of proportion so that the episodes are "about" something.
 I think Molly & Jacob will not be excluded on anything in real, untelevised life.

I'm not into tatoos, but Amy's turned out really pretty.

• Love 2

Amy's tattoo artist did a good job, but I hate "Four + more".  Really hate it.  I also hated the paint on Matt's cabinets, but at least that's easily removable.  ;)

The reactions to Amy's tattoo idea were funny - Audrey kept looking at the camera like "WTF??" and Zach just looked like he wanted to die. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I'm glad Amy got her tattoo, if that's what she wants.  I'm also glad she got it since it seemed to annoy Matt so much.

Just watching now.  Seeing Matt's look of disgust at the mention of a tattoo made me wish Amy got full sleeves and also a huge back piece!  Haha

• Love 11

Ugh, another week of listening to Matt gripe about having to live in a "DW". It's starting to piss me off. What a snob. As for the remodel, the floors are nice, but the cabinets are hideous. Every time they show his "DW", I can't help but remember how be used to complain about Amy's housekeeping. Well, now Amy's house is cleaner than his. What do you have to say to that, Matt?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Good thing I'm not a Roloff.  If my gate needed a new lock on my gate, I'd just want a new lock.  I really wouldn't want the hassle of building a new gate.  I wouldn't like every minor repair turned into a big project.

It needed major repair. When Zach was pushing on it the fence part was swaying. I'm betting the original 2 x 4s were rotting. It needed what it got.

8 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

A guest at Matt's stag party says to Zachary, "Hey, I saw you got a new gate."   ...

He's Zach's neighbor. That's what neighbors talk about.  I just walked over to my neighbor's house over the weekend to talk about her new landscaping.

• Love 1

It needed major repair. When Zach was pushing on it the fence part was swaying. I'm betting the original 2 x 4s were rotting. It needed what it got.

I think it's more the level of sheer overdone ridiculous emphasis that made the gate drama a bit stupid. I mean, I agree it needed to be repaired but I question whether this was a "omg call Jeremy and have him drive three hours to spend the weekend to fix the gate" situation as it was portrayed. And they had to rebuild the door, refinish the door and of course ceremoniously use the silly "marriage brand" that was a signature of the Roloff Farms weddings... If they're going to do a project, then do a project, this was a big blah molehill that never even came close to being the mountain they were acting like it was. Its stuff like this that makes it very clear they aren't actors and they are staging stuff for the cameras.

He's Zach's neighbor. That's what neighbors talk about.  I just walked over to my neighbor's house over the weekend to talk about her new landscaping

Right but he's Zach's neighbor in Portland, out at Matt's newly remodeled double wide (and considering its what, two years old, and they're planning on dumping it, isn't that just literally pissing money away?) and this is all he can talk about? And since when was Zach's neighbor now invited to the stag parties at Matt's place? He's not Matt's neighbor

• Love 2

I said it before after hearing Matt complain about his "DW"...if you don't like it, then build yourself a damn house!  I think he mentioned building something eventually.  If he hates it so much, Matt should have made sure he included something in the divorce paperwork that he will be able to build a home on the property.  And the two of them should work out where, how large &  how it will be paid for (Matt's personal $$ vs. farm income vs. TLC cash).  If this show goes on another season, I don't want to hear the next verse in Matt's "I Got the Double-wide Blues" ballad.

The painted cabinets didn't look so bad IMO, but that look wouldn't work in my house.  The floor looked nice too.  But like ZoloftBob said, it seems like a waste of money to do much more fixing up if he's going to move out of it.  I guess there's always the chance one of the Roloff kids Who Shall Not Be Seen or Named could use it down the road when they finish college - if they want to return.  The good Lord knows Jer(k) and Odd would never live in "a trailer" if it were offered. I wouldn't be surprised if/when they return to the farm those two would expect to be in the "big house".  I have a feeling every time Odd walks into Amy's kitchen she is silently calculating how long it would take to rip out the LP-sized counters and cabinets and retrofit them to her height (and how to keep this show going long enough to have TLC pay for it).

• Love 2

I love that Amy is so much lighter now. She really seems to be enjoying her life for the first time in a long time.

Molly has expressed on past episodes that she has no intention of moving back to the farm.

I'm really tired of Poor, Pitiful Matt.

• Love 7

Did you see Jer’s face when Zack was telling him Dad was renovating the dw?

Jer was thinking “shit, how am I gonna take the farm if Dad is still living on it??”

He wants that farm all to himself.

• Love 5
On 6/27/2016 at 8:32 PM, AZChristian said:

Or even, "I'm 26 and married, how am I going to put a roof over my head.  And I have 3 siblings who have as much right to expect a share of this farm as I do."

We're far from wealthy, but have tried to live sensibly with what we have.  We've told our kids that our new goal in life is to die with just enough money in the bank to pay off the Visa bill from our last vacation.  There's life insurance, but neither of our kids are expecting us to leave them set for life.

Remember, these are Reality TV Spawn.  They  are used to trips, houses, and all of life's extras and niceties to be paid by their network Sugar Daddy.  Let's be frank, all of the "business ideas" and even the concept of their property as a "farm" are an Olympic-size stretch.  A farm, a working farm that is a business, doesn't just grow pumpkins for a seasonal tourist-stop and crank out pumpkin salsa (ech), produces and has people who actually work on it.  Matt's dreamy castles and mini-churches make for good TV, and that is the cash cow.  Even his jobs- dabbling in adaptation kits for dwarves (were there other business ventures?) and Amy's job as a daycare teacher/soccer manager are not going to support that property, not by a long shot.

Jeremy et al are used to being carried by the viewers of this show.  And expect to reap lifelong benefits from it.  Sorry, but it just isn't that lucrative for Jer to retire off of in 40 years.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

I love that Amy is so much lighter now. She really seems to be enjoying her life for the first time in a long time.

Molly has expressed on past episodes that she has no intention of moving back to the farm.

I'm really tired of Poor, Pitiful Matt.

On 6/29/2016 at 0:36 AM, PlygPigs said:

- Jeremy and Audrey need to face the facts on the finality of his parent's relationship. No, most divorced parents don't go on vacation together. Yours wouldn't either if they didn't have a tv show. It's business.

- Speaking of Jer and Auj, they were lying through their teeth about being glad it wasn't them invited onstage at the luau. Yeah right, attention whores.

- Matt actually made sense for once when he said it's easier to split money than land. 

- Molly and Jacob don't exist.

- It was so sad to hear Amy say she'd probably be alone the rest of her life. She's not that old, and she has a lot to offer. Girl needs to start thinking positively!

When I watched the last episode earlier today,  a sponsored commercial/PSA played during the show,  something like "Matt and Amy Roloff....  On Raising Teenagers" ( Matt and Amy do sort of a talking head set to music and clips of the kids). Amy has on a little makeup, a white leather jacket,  and has a very flattering haircut,  similar to her usual but more modern/fresher.  She looks lovely in the commercial, very soft and pretty, and probably the best I've seen her look.  Good for her; Matt-less Amy wears it well. 

• Love 8
(edited)

The most amusing thing about JerOdd taking over the farm is that Jer seems to have forgotten or be oblivious to the whole reason the family has a reality show in the first place. A couple of epis back he talked about how the public would be interested in seeing the farm being handed down from one generation to the next just because of the Roloff name. He seems to feel that JerOdd is so special that their taking over the farm is enough for TLC to continue the show. No little people required. Good luck with that Jer.

At least Tory has a career and Zach a job. JerOdd appears to just be coasting back and forth from wherever their home is to mooch off either set of inlaws and built a gate in order to make some TLC cash. I do not see enough ambition in either of them to be able to run the farm for a weekend, let alone take it over. I wonder if Matt and Amy are embarassed by the Golden Couple's lack of drive? I know I am.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 8
(edited)
23 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Right but he's Zach's neighbor in Portland, out at Matt's newly remodeled double wide ... and this is all he can talk about? And since when was Zach's neighbor now invited to the stag parties at Matt's place? He's not Matt's neighbor

I'm not sure that was all they talked about. It was just a passing comment.

Edited by Ina123

Jacob Roloff slams the show on Instagram.  

I get comments on here all the time about how people ‘miss me on the show’ or telling me I should ‘do a few more episodes’ with the family; I’m posting this to say that that will never happen. For the sake of ‘the episode’ and ratings I’ve seen a lot of STORYLINES drawn up (loosely) about our lives, and when I was standing here, behind the scenes and watching it from an outside perspective I just couldn’t stop laughing. Laughing at how hard the producers have to try to get us to follow the talking points, and at how ridiculous the talking points are.

• Love 13