Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I didn't notice Rachel's hair pulling because the giggling. #icant

FJ was an instaget. For TS I got Lizzie Borden, Mohammed, and Australia. When Rachel answered "Oceania" all I could think was "...is at war with Eastasia."

Wasn't the Fisher cat question asking for a verb anyway?

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3

Rachel doesn't bother me (and when my hair was longer I had a nervous habit of playing with it so I sympathize). I'm just glad the guy on the end didn't win. He seemed almost angry a couple times when he was ruled incorrect. I thought he was going to jump over the podium. 

• Love 3

Did pretty good again today—got cars, Lizzie Borden, Australia, Mohammed, Man O’ War, Rodeo, and Custis, as well as FJ.

(Another Bloom County fan here, opus! Or, to put it another way, “Thppt! Ack!”)

• Love 1

I didn't know Martha Washington's first married name, but I wondered if that was an easy one for someone from the US.

I'm from the US and I didn't know she had any name except Martha Washington, except maybe Mrs. Washington.

Nobody has mentioned the "expeller of demons" clue for EXO and its WRONG answer: "Exorcism." I was waiting for Alex to take $$ away from what's his face.

It should have been "Exorcist." The expeller of demons is NOT an exorcism.

My hair is longish. I twist it around my first finger. I could never appear on J! You guys would eviscerate me.

Rachel must have heard yesterday's sweater comments :)

I've GOT to stop screaming at the TV screen: LIZZIE BORDEN, AUSTRALIA (whence Mr. Author cometh) 

• Love 4

Boring game, although Del's story was cute. 

TS I got were Man 'O War, Australia (how was that a TS???), 1933, Lizzie Borden, sugar coat, peaches & cream, car (no, not Speedwagon, Rachel & judges), Mohammed. FJ was in instaget.

Rachel's OK, even though she began her interview Wednesday with "so", but if she continues to win & makes it to the ToC, I think she will lose in the first round. Her knowledge base isn't bad, but her wins are more about lucky categories (I think she's run more than a few), getting lucky with DDs, weaker contestants, and the judges giving her credit for incorrect answers. 

5 hours ago, Fex said:

I didn't know Martha Washington's first married name, but I wondered if that was an easy one for someone from the US.

Not easy for me, but once Alex said it I recognized it. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

She just said speedwagon.  I'm sure she was thinking of REO Speedwagon.  Wrong band, honey, they wanted the Cars.

While I'm still in a rage over this, I wonder if the judges would have accepted the Lost Continent of Atlantis if she'd guessed that instead of Oceania for the glaciers clue.

LMAO! 

Edited by Toothbrush
5 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Wasn't the Fisher cat question asking for a verb anyway?

Yes. The clue specifically mentioned activity.  As I mentioned above, Fisher Cat is another name for the Fishing Cat at least according to Wikipedia so that is maybe why it was deemed acceptable, but it shouldn't have been. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Fex said:

I remembered it not from history classes or books but from F Troop.

• Love 2

I always thought I would have nothing for the contestant interview but I was wrong!  I also finished dead last in a 5K (walking).  Now I can apply for the game.  I thought Australia was demoted from continent status (much like Pluto, thanks NDT) although I answered anyway.  Got Man O'War (because horses are my thing), Lizzie Borden, and an incredibly easy FJ!

On 1/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, GreekGeek said:

I did too, but I couldn't think of any famous Greek novels about brothers, and then I figured out the answer from the rest of the clue. I never read much Sherlock Holmes, but I loved the movie The Seven Per Cent Solution back in the day.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:05 PM, lb60 said:

No clue for FJ.  My knowledge of Sherlock Holmes comes strictly from Elementary.  Never read any of the books.

I've never read the books, but I've watched both Sherlock and Elementary, so I got Mycroft fairly easily (though I did think of Moriarty at first). He was a bigger presence in Sherlock than Elementary.

11 hours ago, Fex said:

Continents are categorized in lots of different ways on different lists, geology or political, different school curricula, eg America vs North and South America. Given that, I thought the question was kind of unfair. But no matter the definition, Oceania was definitely wrong because New Zealand has glaciers!

My web analytics software groups Oceania as a continent (Australia, New Zealand and most of the island nations in that area). so I figured that's how she came up with it. But you are right, it's wrong in any case.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I always thought I would have nothing for the contestant interview but I was wrong!  I also finished dead last in a 5K (walking).  Now I can apply for the game.

LOL! I'm sure there's SOMETHING in my life I could talk about, but I can't think of anything. 

Got Man O'War (because horses are my thing)

I guess that was back in my brain somewhere because I came up with War Horse.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Nobody has mentioned the "expeller of demons" clue for EXO and its WRONG answer: "Exorcism." I was waiting for Alex to take $$ away from what's his face.

It should have been "Exorcist." The expeller of demons is NOT an exorcism.

Yeah, that bothered me too, but I guess the exorcism itself expels the demon, so the judges would accept that. Anyway, they regularly seem to overlook the word tense.

8 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricRaygor

AuntieL,   that reminds me of what he put on Twitter tonight.   It looks like an angry face to me. 

He seems to have a sense of humor about this. I like him more now.

I can't believe I completely blanked on Man O'War. I'm a multi-horse owner and I follow horse racing, I've been to the Keeneland yearling sales and I owned an OTT -- off-track thoroughbred, she had 53 starts -- for a number of years. I've even taken photos in front of the Man O'War statue in Lexington. I guess severe brain loss happens when one gets old. I did know Upset was the only horse that beat him though.

I've never heard of Oceania, much less that it's one of the continents. I have heard of Atlantis though!

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's de rigueur among the extension-wearing b-ettes on that *cough* show. I have long hair too, and would stab myself if I ever felt the need to "pet" it. Especially to attract a mate!

I blame the Kardashians.  Of course I blame them for almost everything (there's someone else I blame, but we're not allowed to talk about that here), so take that for what it's worth.  I also have long hair, and I wouldn't sit around compulsively petting it any more than I'd reach into my clothes and pet some other random body part.  It's creepy and bad manners.

Okay, Modrianyone, your self portrait made me LOL.

I'm the Not-Carrie Fisher.  It was mean of me to say fisher cats aren't cute.  No one's cute when hungry or grouchy.  They are cute when they're not snarling, but they're scary, too.  I'm happy my dogs never ran into one.

• Love 4

For Martha Washington my brain wouldn't let go of "Custer" even though I knew it wasn't right. At least it was close. Sort of. I knew Lizzie Borden (I've had that ditty in my head ever since -Lizzy Borden took an axe...), Australia and Muhammad.

• Love 1

As soon as I saw the Sports Upsets category, I was hoping they would include Man o'War and Upset.  It's a great story, how it happened, and it is probably the only sport upset I could ever name.  So I was happy to see it, but couldn't believe none of them had any idea.

I watched Wednesday and Thursday together, so I guess I'm the first one to day I thought FJ Thursday was very easy,  Brother plus madness screamed Vincent Van Gogh to me, who was well known for his letters to his brother, and then adding in the year, I was shocked no one got it.  But then, I love Van Gogh and I have numerous prints of several of his paintings in my home.  I've also been to see exhibits of his work many times in different cities.  (So maybe this was about my interest in the topic, rather than how easy it should have been!)

• Love 6

Rachel lucked out again by wagering zero in FJ. I agree that should have been an easy question and not a TS. Woody Allen long ago (back when he was associated with sophisticated humor and not sexual misconduct) did a hilarious spoof of Vincent Van Gogh's letters to his brother Theo titled "If the Impressionists had been Dentists."

Between this and the TS of Picasso the other day--it seems these contestants aren't very knowledgeable about art.

• Love 6

I too thought FJ was easy and was surprised no one got it. Coincidentally, just before FJ I was reading an article about the Trumps asking the Guggenheim if they could borrow a Van Gogh, but the museum instead offered a gold toilet. :D

For other TSs I got coupler, a man I didn't like, My Blue Heaven, Pearly Gates, Kathleen Kennedy, 1980, and the DD of US Senate. I ALMOST got Thoreau but blanked on his first and middle names.

I didn't know T Bone Burnett was married to Callie Khouri.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Between this and the TS of Picasso the other day--it seems these contestants aren't very knowledgeable about art.

I'm not very knowledgeable about art and I got Vincent Van Gogh. I was very surprised that was a TS.

• Love 4

I liked Rosie (despite her "look at me" wave at the intro), and was rooting for her. Rachel got lucky wagering $0 in FJ & Rosie missing it. I have to admit I am surprised that the judges did not give Rachel credit for Lhasa Apso with the way the judging has gone lately. 

TS I got were Cambridge, a man I didn't like, My Blue Heaven, Henry David Thoreau, 1980

Had no idea for FJ but Dr. Toothbrush got it pretty easily. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for not liking Rachel, but I just don't. She's playing her I'm-so-darn-cute-as-a-button card, and I don't think she's all that well-rounded. She plays about as well as I do - and I am NOT well-rounded - she just hasn't had strong competition. My 12yo pointed out the hair-playing was one of the flirting moves we recently saw on The Good Doctor, and Alex is eating it up! I was rooting for New Yorker Rosie, too. Hoping for stronger competition tonight!

• Love 11

Not only does "European Brother Madness"= Van Gogh, but for "Madness" alone there are only 2 obvious answers--Van Gogh & King George (who wasn't 19th century so could be ruled out)!!!! 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, opus said:

Silly site maintenance. I missed reading here about the show last night.

Still team Rachael.

I'm with you.  What happened to the "like" hearts?

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I ALMOST got Thoreau but blanked on his first and middle names.

I couldn't get that far.  It was on the tip of my tongue.  I was like, "That artsy, naturalist dude with three names....argh!"  

Totally got Van Gogh.  I'm surprised Alex didn't say it with the proper Dutch pronunciation.  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

What happened to the "like" hearts?

They're all the way over on the right.

Rachel got lucky last night, again.  Unfortunately.  I was rooting for Rosie, too, despite her wave at the beginning.

Van Gogh was an instaget for me.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I watched Wednesday and Thursday together, so I guess I'm the first one to day I thought FJ Thursday was very easy,  Brother plus madness screamed Vincent Van Gogh to me, who was well known for his letters to his brother, and then adding in the year, I was shocked no one got it.  But then, I love Van Gogh and I have numerous prints of several of his paintings in my home.  I've also been to see exhibits of his work many times in different cities.  (So maybe this was about my interest in the topic, rather than how easy it should have been!)

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Dammit, Rosie!  I was counting on you to rid us of Rachel.

I got coupler, Cambridge, met a man I didn't like, My Blue Heaven, and Henry David Thoreau.

I guess I'm a total idiot because I was clueless for FJ.

I didn't get it either. I did feel that I should have gotten, though.

At least I got Henry David Thoreau. And I thought Cambridge was super obvious.

• Love 1

I just did a little test and found out that you can now give yourself a like.  It feels a bit like petting your own hair.  (Except now they're saying you can see who "reacted" to your post, so I'm wondering why there's still a heart.  Do you click on the heart if you want to puke all over someone's post?  Reacting covers a much wider range of emotions, doesn't it?  And why am I asking the Jeopardy! people?  Although who better to deal with questions?)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not only does "European Brother Madness"= Van Gogh, but for "Madness" alone there are only 2 obvious answers--Van Gogh & King George (who wasn't 19th century so could be ruled out)!!!! 

George III was my instaguess, and I couldn't get past him even though I knew the timeline was off by a century.  But TBH Van Gogh would have never entered my mind anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just did a little test and found out that you can now give yourself a like.  It feels a bit like petting your own hair.  

hee

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just did a little test and found out that you can now give yourself a like.  It feels a bit like petting your own hair. 

Hah!

I got a bunch of TS last night that I forgot to add in my last post.  They include coupler, Cambridge, U.S. Senate, a man I didn't like, My Blue Heaven, and 1980.  I would like to thank Margaret Houlihan and a relatively early episode of MASH for my knowing My Blue Heaven.

• Love 5

I'm using Safari on a Mac and the "like" hearts are GIGANTIC, as big or bigger than the avatars, and on the left. At Mondrianyone's suggestion, I found I can like and unlike a post, although now I can't see if I did like a post. Before the tiny clear heart would turn solid. Now all I can see are these gigantic monster hearts. HATE THEM. I did not check to see if I could "like" myself. I also don't pet my own hair. So there's that.

The category on Will Rogers was a big win-win for me. I would have run that category, easy peasy. My mom was a big fan, so I grew up hearing all about him and then studying him and learning all I could about his life. He's one of my favorite people in history.

FJ was a complete no-brainer for me. I thought it was general knowledge that he suffered from depression and basic insanity. I mean, the guy cut off part of his ear. Plus the correct pronunciation of his name is NOT Van GO. More like Van Guggggg.

I couldn't be more disappointed that Rachel qualified for ToC. While I'd love to have her job, it's perfect for me and I love Oregon, for some reason I just do not like HER.

Gotta go ... Jeopardy is on!

p.s. Ha ha, I just "liked" this post. Lightning will strike me for being conceited.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm using Safari on a Mac and the "like" hearts are GIGANTIC, as big or bigger than the avatars, and on the left. At Mondrianyone's suggestion, I found I can like and unlike a post, although now I can't see if I did like a post. Before the tiny clear heart would turn solid. Now all I can see are these gigantic monster hearts. HATE THEM. I did not check to see if I could "like" myself. I also don't pet my own hair. So there's that.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac and the like hearts are tiny. About the same size as the lower-case "o".

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I'm using Firefox on a Mac and the like hearts are tiny. About the same size as the lower-case "o".

Same here.  And I can like my own posts, too.

ETA: But I apparently don't get notifications that I've liked my own posts.  The number by the heart increases, though.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3

I switched to Firefox to see if I could post pics of what PTV looks like on Safari. Firefox has formatting and allows quotes, which Safari does not, but everything is in 2-pt. type, impossible to read. So it's Safari for me for PTV. I use Firefox for everything expect PTV. Pic on right shows what options I have for posting a message ... basically, none. The main forum listing is also totally different between Safari and Firefox.

safariHearts.jpg.f6c3e21be7af1d75a6bb159b1d0be0f9.jpgReplyOptions.jpg.1e22fc79219453d4ac98a785dcc9a81c.jpg

• Love 1

Still team Rachael

Me, too. Mumble-mumble years ago, before I became an author during the day and server at night, I taught school. I'm glad to see a teacher, even a hair-petter like Rachel, earn money in order to supplement her skimpy salary. Go, girl!

I loved the Will Rogers category. I used him in a book and the research was lots of fun.

Lord knows I have memory glitches, but even if a Jeptestant didn't know, or didn't remember, that Van Gogh wrote letters to his bro and went bonkers, as in cut off his ear, watching Jeopardy! on a fairly regular basis, you might realize the people who write the clues LOVE Vincent V. G.

They love Picasso, too, but he didn't go bonkers :)

• Love 1

Hooray Jennifer!  After Rachel's dirty feet story, horrible Southern accent (which of course Alex loved since it was just as bad as his), and the idiotic guess of Schlitz brandy, I was even more over her than I had been.  Good grief.  Schlitz brandy.

Ahem.  I did not get FJ, having never read or seen Pippi Longstocking.  I chose Charlotte of Charlotte's Web, even though I knew it was so very wrong.  Not as wrong as Schlitz brandy, but still very wrong.  I did, however, get The Mary Tyler Moore Show, calico, gun, Wikileaks (surprising TS), Westminster, and the missed DD of usury.  I was shouting usury! at my TV, but as usual, the contestant didn't hear me.

The jellyfish on that sign looked an awful lot like sperm.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 17

Rachel is not a teacher, she is a fire lookout in Bend, Oregon. How could anyone miss Alex dwelling on that every day, multiple times per episode.

Quote: "Nope. They'd know Seabiscuit, thanks to the movie (and the book was a winner, too!)" The heck. They didn't know Man O'War, they're not going to know Seabiscuit.

I was totally irked by Alex making fun of Jennifer waving during her intro. That Austin dickhead did all kinds of crap during his intro and Trebek was fine with that. Gah. This show ...

• Love 9

Son of a seabiscuit!  (Not the horse - LOL.)  I was rooting mightily for normal Melissa.  But noooo!  We went from hair petting, cutesy Rachel to wildly waving, groin kicking, giant teeth sucking Jennifer.  Gak!

I got The Mary Tyler Moore Show, gun, Wikileaks, Cuba, Rhine, Isle of White, Palace of Westminster, and amortization.

I was clueless again for FJ.  Boo hiss.

• Love 12

Oh yeah, Cuba. That was HUGE news and happened recently. Even Trebek didn't say "It was before your time" when he read the clue -- like he did about the 60s song lyrics. Because no one listens to oldies or has/likes old albums/CDs. I said rifle instead of gun. I wonder if the judges would have been okay with that. Maybe, if I petted my hair and smiled at Trebek.

• Love 6

I use Firefox, too, saber, and I don't have a problem with tiny type and tiny hearts.  If you hold down your Control key and press the plus sign at the same time, that should magnify things on the site.  (And Control-minus to shrink it back down if you need to.)  Or just open the View menu and click on Zoom.  Neither method should magnify everything, just the site you're on.  This may be bad advice--I just noticed you're on a Mac.  Oh, well.  And I was just about to like my own post a few dozen times.  Sorry.

I said Pippi Longstocking (which I've never read) for FJ, and my husband told me I was in the wrong century, but I couldn't come up with anything better, so I stuck with it.  Many obnoxious fist pumps and steam hisses (and self-pettings of hair) after that answer was revealed.  Just when he thinks that living with me is already hard enough . . .

I got almost nothing in the sword category, though.

I'm glad Rachel is gone.

Edited by Mondrianyone
missed one small detail
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I use Firefox, too, saber, and I don't have a problem with tiny type and tiny hearts.  If you hold down your Control key and press the plus sign at the same time, that should magnify things on the site.  (And Control-minus to shrink it back down if you need to.)  Or just open the View menu and click on Zoom.  Neither method should magnify everything, just the site you're on.  This may be bad advice--I just noticed you're on a Mac.  Oh, well.  And I was just about to like my own post a few dozen times.  Sorry.

I said Pippi Longstocking (which I've never read) for FJ, and my husband told me I was in the wrong century, but I couldn't come up with anything better, so I stuck with it.  Many obnoxious fist pumps and steam hisses (and self-pettings of hair) after that answer was revealed.  Just when he thinks that living with me is already hard enough . . .

I got almost nothing in the sword category, though.

I'm glad Rachel is gone.

If I ever read Pippi Longstocking I don’t remember but I guessed that too and had a similar reaction. My SO never pays attention when I’m shouting answers at the ? so he wasn’t as impressed.

• Love 3