Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Like others, I got Death on the Nile, Life on the Mississippi, and cypress, as well as the DD of Arthur Miller. I also got tulip, but I admit I first blurted out parrot, I think I had a parrot tulip stuck in my head for some reason.

I got FJ, but I'm not sure I would have gotten it if 'animated' hadn't been in the clue.

I'm sorry to see Happy Craig go so quickly, but Denise seems like a good player.

• Love 3

Here I come along to admit that I missed FJ. I got stuck on the year part and didn't think about The Lion King at all. I thought that was the year Aladdin came out. Turns out I was wrong. Aladdin was the first Disney movie that I ever saw, and I'm pretty sure I saw it in 94. Must've been a Blockbuster rental. Lol. I don't think I've ever seen Lion King.

I'm just not a Disney fan and never have been. My parents always said Walt Disney was racist. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's one of those things that's stuck with me. 

I got Ronald McDonald, Death on the Nile, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Baal, and Arthur Miller. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Starting with Ronald McDonald -- given a BMS for McDonald with fast food in the clue, how could Craig not have gotten the Ronald part?

That was hilarious. And how did no one ring in after his Mac McDonald?

I'm proud of myself for getting a football question right. I know the Cowboys play in Arlington, but I am mystified as to how!

• Love 3

I thought the ark question should have gotten a BMS.  I know Noah's Ark is in Genesis, but I do not know if Christie knew that, since she wasn't required to say Ark of the Covenant. Or maybe it was Kit Ark.  Ark Carson?

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I thought the ark question should have gotten a BMS.  I know Noah's Ark is in Genesis, but I do not know if Christie knew that, since she wasn't required to say Ark of the Covenant. Or maybe it was Kit Ark.  Ark Carson?

I thought so too.  It was an incomplete answer.

• Love 4

I was wondering about her ark answer. Noah's ark is what I came up with, even though I was pretty sure that was in Genesis. I didn't realize there were building instructions for the Ark of the Covenant in the Bible. (Cubits always make me think of Noah's ark.) She definitely should have been asked to BMS.

4 hours ago, teebax said:

Here I come along to admit that I missed FJ. I got stuck on the year part and didn't think about The Lion King at all. I thought that was the year Aladdin came out. Turns out I was wrong. Aladdin was the first Disney movie that I ever saw, and I'm pretty sure I saw it in 94. Must've been a Blockbuster rental. Lol. I don't think I've ever seen Lion King.

That's funny because I was thinking about the first movie we took our son to, which was Aladdin. He was born in 1990, so for a second I thought I was misremembering and we had taken him to see The Lion King. But, no, it was Aladdin (1992). My son was surprisingly well-behaved (for once) for a 2-yr old.

• Love 2

Just watched a full week of shows.  Good champions.  Come-from-behind guy won because of his large DD wager.  I'm not sure why so many contestants don't have more faith in their own knowledge and bet bigger on DDs.  Also, it was nice to see a Sports category get all the way through (I swept it), though how in the world was Hit By Pitch the highest dollar question?

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm just not a Disney fan and never have been. My parents always said Walt Disney was racist. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's one of those things that's stuck with me. 

I don't know if he was, but I think a case can certainly be made for it from some of his films. I'm not a Disney fan (though I've seen more than my share), mostly because one or both parents are generally dead (memorably killed off on screen in the Lion King).

3 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought so too.  It was an incomplete answer.

I know - I got the benefit of it. I shouted out "ark" (meaning Noah's arc - stupid, I know) then realized that the measurements were too small, but when they accepted the answer, I was - okay then. I'm good. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Yay Denise! I love her because she's calm, cool, and collected but also capable of a genuine smile.

I only got one TS - It's the real thing - and the missed DD, Arthur Miller (a wild guess because I'm not familiar with the play).

FJ took me a couple of seconds because my mind jumped to Jumanji for some bizarre reason. 

My folks were similar, but even moreso about the Little Rascals. I wasn't allowed to watch it and when I was old enough to watch in my own home, as you say, it's stuck with me and that show makes me really uncomfortable. It's interesting how our parents can both teach and condition us to such a degree.

• Love 2

So many of those Disney films, like Song of the South, were perfectly acceptable at the time they were made, just like Steppin Fetchit, and "feet, do your stuff" was okay too. Times have changed, so yeah, those old Disney features are def racist today. They were racist back then, too, we just didn't know that word yet. When I was in grade school, The Three Stooges were off limits, not because they were racist but because all the little kids were going around saying "Nyat nyat nyah" and poking each other in the eyes. I wish the Stooges would be a Jeopardy category, I'd run it for sure.

• Love 6
On 12/16/2017 at 5:15 AM, teebax said:

I don't think I've ever seen Lion King.

... *GASP!* (Sorry.) (And Walt might have been racist (and he definitely was a jerk), but if he was, he was long dead by this generation of the company. Disney in the 90s was awesome, and The Lion King is totally worth your time, especially the Broadway production/tour if you ever get the chance to see it.) (And there goes my allotment of parentheses for the day.)

LK was kind of a gimme though for FJ; I think even leaving out the animated bit would've still been pretty easy for most people.

I always think of "the real thing" as a much later Coke slogan than 1969, separate from the Hilltop singing ad. I remember them using in the 90s, so it must've made a comeback at some point. Cracked up though at the guess of "I'd like to teach."

The ark thing bothered me too, especially since they were such sticklers about Ronald McDonald.  I wonder how many times inconsistent BMSing has ended up mattering in the final outcome.

• Love 5

My parents always said Walt Disney was racist. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's one of those things that's stuck with me. 

He definitely was. He was also anti-Semitic. I know this for a fact because my dad's dream was to be a Disney artist. He was hired then fired, when Walt found out Dad was Jewish.

• Love 3

I'm impressed you got them all! But I agree about "East of Eden". I know nothing about it,

Hmmm... E of E was my favorite Steinbeck, but I thought many people might have seen the movie. Not because it was such a great movie (the screenplay ignored Steinbeck's true meaning of the novel: Can Cal triumph over his own wickedness? His father uses the Hebrew word "Timshel"),  but because it was James Dean's first major film role, along with Rebel (both were released in 1955).

• Love 4

Guernica?!!!!! I thought "Art" & "Farmhouse" were synonymous with "American Gothic"! The only reason this wouldn't be a Teen Tournament (or Kids) gimme is that they would know it's the painting of the farmer & his sister but not know the name of it. And "Evergreen" does NOT deserve a BMS to get "Perennial". They are completely different things (I think "evergreen"=tree & "perennial"=flower).

• Love 24
8 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I thought "Art" & "Farmhouse" were synonymous with "American Gothic"!

It was an instaget for me, I certainly didn't get it from figuring out the clue, but it's the only painting about a farm I know of.

• Love 10

I know almost nothing about art and got FJ immediately, so it must've been easy. The way he would guess wrong then shake his head and shrug was driving me nuts. I was like STOP GUESSING. 

I got the bowling TS, but then again I bowled on my college team, because I was so sexy and cool. /sarcasm 

• Love 8

Well, hell.  Of the three, Kate was my least favorite.  I *could* like her if she'd start at the tops of categories, but alas.

I admit, it took me a second for FJ, but I was distracted by something shiny on another website.

I got Skylab, Versailles, was shouting perennial! at the former champ, poppies (in a Wicked Witch voice), and camera obscura.

• Love 12

Because my favorite champs are all being One and Dones and Twos and Throughs (TM me!), I'm back to just listening to this show with one ear and not caring all that much who wins. But I couldn't believe the center guy, who finds the DD in the center of a category HE IS RUNNING, and he freaking beats a whole whopping $800? WTH, Player? Don't these people watch this show before coming on? And yeah, when did an evergreen become a perennial? According to Wikipedia: "an evergreen is a plant that has leaves throughout the year, always green." And didn't any of these people watch The Wizard of Oz? I mean, poppies folks. How simple was that picture clue? (Not simple enough I guess.) Yes, I'm still sick. And cranky.

• Love 13
35 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Guernica?!!!!! I thought "Art" & "Farmhouse" were synonymous with "American Gothic"! The only reason this wouldn't be a Teen Tournament (or Kids) gimme is that they would know it's the painting of the farmer & his sister but not know the name of it. And "Evergreen" does NOT deserve a BMS to get "Perennial". They are completely different things (I think "evergreen"=tree & "perennial"=flower).

Right. This had no business being a FJ clue. It's a top level $200 / $400 regular clue. Ben, I suppose, bet presuming the question would be too obscure considering such a broad category and everyone would get it wrong. 

Guernica? Because obviously a painting depicting a 1937 bombing event in the Spanish Civil War would have been painted in 1930 based on an 1880s farmhouse window from a Sears catalog. Fail.    

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But I couldn't believe the center guy, who finds the DD in the center of a category HE IS RUNNING, and he freaking beats a whole whopping $800? WTH, Player? Don't these people watch this show before coming on?

No kidding. You could see him kick himself for not going bigger in the Phillip K. Dick category. AT even told him he's in a distant third. Hello, this is your time to get back in this! Combined with not knowing "American Gothic" he deserved to lose. 

• Love 10

American Gothic was an instaget for me.  I have seen it many times at my quaint little local art museum (the Art Institute of Chicago).  I got Skylab (1979 headlines: "IT'S FALLING!") and, of course, Bowling.

With the Dick category, the adolescent in me wanted to see Darrell Hammond in full Sean Connery garb read a clue or make a cameo.

• Love 11

DrScottie, your Guernica comment also made me laugh. Because nothing says Sears catalog like people dying in a Spanish civil war. Either Guernica is the only painting this guy could name or else he was trying to impress us with his (lack of) knowledge. Either way: Fail. But it's made for some great posts here.

• Love 6

I didn't really get a chance to do the math but would Denise have won had she bet her full amount? I didn't understand her wager. Was Kate's wager enough if Denise had bet everything? It just seemed off to me but I don't have a DVR so I can't go back to take another look.

Edited by burner
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

The mister, who doesn't generally talk back at the show, said indignantly,  "Evergreen isn't a BMS, Evergreen is just wrong!"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And didn't any of these people watch The Wizard of Oz? I mean, poppies folks. How simple was that picture clue? (Not simple enough I guess.)

Well, the poppies in The Wizard of Oz were different poppies, not California poppies.

I hate to say it, but I'm glad Ben didn't win. He was bugging me with his wild guesses and saying the complete name of the categories. 

I got perennial and poppies, as well as FJ. Instead of Skylab, I said Spacelab. Doh. And I couldn't come up with Günter Grass's name. The name that came to me was Hermann Hesse, which I knew was wrong, but at least it was alliterated.

• Love 6

Kate was such a pill throughout this game, IMO. Hope she's gone soon.

Add me to the perennial vs. evergreen train. For TS I got poppies, Gunter Gräss(sp?), and camera obscura. FJ was an instaget; I didn't remember the window in the painting but somehow got there from Sears+farmhouse.

Guernica? Because obviously a painting depicting a 1937 bombing event in the Spanish Civil War would have been painted in 1930 based on an 1880s farmhouse window from a Sears catalog. Fail.

THIS.

The only thing I'll give Ben credit for was he matched Alex' "you're in a distant third" snark with "yeah I know" snark. I wish more contestants had the presence of mind to do that. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

DrScottie, your Guernica comment also made me laugh. Because nothing says Sears catalog like people dying in a Spanish civil war. Either Guernica is the only painting this guy could name or else he was trying to impress us with his (lack of) knowledge. Either way: Fail. But it's made for some great posts here.

I like your theory. He couldn't come up with the answer, and said to himself "just write down a painting, any painting" At least it was in the right decade - I'd say that was pretty close for an art question.

• Love 3

At least it was in the right decade

LOL right decade.

Guernica? GUERNICA? If they ever have a category of "Dumb J! answers", that'll be on it!

Mr. Author: "That woman Kate has the worst voice!"

Me: "Don't be snarky. She probably has a speech impediment and is overcompensating."

• Love 3

I'm surprised I didn't notice anything about Kate to bug me. I guess Ben hogged all my attention.

9 hours ago, Fex said:

He couldn't come up with the answer, and said to himself "just write down a painting, any painting" At least it was in the right decade - I'd say that was pretty close for an art question.

I guess sometimes it's better not to write down anything.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It's true, whenever the dude was like "I'll take Dick for $800," I was all "you're overpaying."

I watched this episode with a (new) friend, and was busy playing backgammon at the same time so wasn't paying full attention... however, I cracked up during the run of this category. I actually stopped the pvr, rewound, and played it again to make sure I heard it correctly. Yep. He said what I thought he said... and my mind went 'there'. Can't leash my naughtiness.

This morning, over coffee, I burst out giggling - for no reason, other than I could hear those words in my head. I inflated it to be, "I'll take Dick for $2,000!"

J! is such a gift in so many wacky ways.

Edited by Bliss
  • Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

When in doubt about a playwright, pick Arthur Miller.

I picked Eugene O'Neil instead.  Phooey.  And I stupidly missed the George Clinton VP answer - and I make jokes about VP P-Funk! 

• Love 2

Well, at least Guernica is a painting. So there's that. I just checked tv schedule for tonight and Austin is going to be on "The Year: 2017" on ABC. WTH, why him and why not Buzzy, who freaking WON the TOC, or Cindy or anyone but that douche. I was thinking about going to a movie tonight and now I def am going to be gone.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

LOL right decade.

Guernica? GUERNICA? If they ever have a category of "Dumb J! answers", that'll be on it!

It was the right decade. 1930 vs 1937.

So does everyone in the world know so much about Guernica? I just knew it was a Picasso about suffering, and kind of what it looks like.

I knew FJ because I somehow knew American Gothic was named after the windows. I probably learned that from Jeopardy, which is why this is my favourite tv show :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, at least Guernica is a painting. So there's that. I just checked tv schedule for tonight and Austin is going to be on "The Year: 2017" on ABC. WTH, why him and why not Buzzy, who freaking WON the TOC, or Cindy or anyone but that douche. I was thinking about going to a movie tonight and now I def am going to be gone.

Maybe they'll actually mention all of them and show clips or something, but they (for some reason) thought he was the only name worth promoting?  I mean, he was also on GMA with Michael Strahan for an interview.  So, maybe it's just an ABC flub up.  

2 hours ago, Fex said:

It was the right decade. 1930 vs 1937.

So does everyone in the world know so much about Guernica? I just knew it was a Picasso about suffering, and kind of what it looks like.

I knew FJ because I somehow knew American Gothic was named after the windows. I probably learned that from Jeopardy, which is why this is my favourite tv show :)

I guessed FJ because they mentioned a farmhouse.  I thought I would be wrong and I couldn't remember what the windows looked like.  So, if I was playing, it would have just been a lucky guess.

• Love 2

I think Lisa Beth got a raw deal. If Alex had just left her hanging instead of jumping in with "Forever," she might have realized in time that her answer was incomplete.

I was yelling "Jack Johnson," but the fictionalization had him as Jefferson.

• Love 12

Gah again Alex drives me bonkers with his “you’re too young to remember” World War II.

For cod’s sack, Alex, I’m pretty sure none of them were alive in 1865 but they knew Reconstruction!

Saying “you’re too young” to know anything is so annoying.  

I vacillated between Battle of the Bulge and Battle of Midway because the clue made me think it had to be in Japan and I never chose between either of them, which is good, because Iwo Jima never came to me.

Guess I’m just too young!

• Love 13
57 minutes ago, LadyintheLoop said:

I think Lisa Beth got a raw deal. If Alex had just left her hanging instead of jumping in with "Forever," she might have realized in time that her answer was incomplete.

I totally agree.  Although she did deserve to lose the money for "Scrooged".

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

For cod’s sack, Alex, I’m pretty sure none of them were alive in 1865 but they knew Reconstruction!

Well, one of them knew Reconstruction.  Our champ apparently thinks "antebellum" means after the war instead of before the war. 

Too bad they couldn't have updated their Zimbabwe clue, since Mugabe isn't president any more.

Oh, and with Bacillus subtilis, the b in subtilis is silent -- just like in the word subtle, Alex.

I got Holiday Inn -- it was just on TV this weekend -- Bordeaux (a wild guess), pall, Our Town (come on, Stage Manager!), and angel shark.  I have owned angel fish, so obviously knew that wasn't an angel fish.

Iwo Jima immediately came to mind for FJ, since it's pretty much the only battle I can name.  I did try to think of a named battle in Italy, but couldn't, and so stuck with Iwo Jima.

Terrible game tonight, but at least Kate started at the tops of categories.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Fex said:

To be fair, I've actually seen it in the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid while I was studying abroad but I can't attest to where others gained their knowledge about it. It's a 25 foot long mural. 

21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Gah again Alex drives me bonkers with his “you’re too young to remember” World War II.

I'm guessing he means within living memory. He was alive during WWII, but he was a young child born in 1940. Still the point stands that living memory is not a necessity for knowing certain information. 

• Love 3

I got completely sidetracked and didn't put the show on until FJ.  I've read a lot of WWII history over the years.  I knew it was a battle in the Pacific, and I thought Iwo Jima had a volcano on the island, so I went with it.

• Love 2