Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

A minor point, but I also thought it was........'risky' I will say this time.......for Diana to even answer the final question before FJ. 

She had 27600 and second place was 10800.  There was one 2000 clue left. 

If she answers wrong and Katherine got it right, she falls to 25600 and Katherine goes to 12800, exactly half, so she could have been caught in FJ. 

Even if she just sits there and does nothing and Katherine gets it right, she is still at 27600 and Katherine at 12800, she is still too far ahead at the end. 

In the end did not matter.  And maybe she was ABSOLUTELY sure of that answer and the $2000. 

• Love 6
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Trey said:

Diana Hsu: 29600-9000=20600 (2X = $44,601)
Adam Manning: 8600-8599=1
Katherine Pisarro-Grant: 10800-6401=4399

Got it. So if Katherine had bet it all and been correct, she would have had 21,600 which would have beaten Diana's miss and total of 20,600. That would have been way cool.

And DrSpaceman has a great point about not answering a question when the closest competitor can't catch you even if they are correct.

I'd have to have you guys explain it to me if I ever get on this show and, of course, lose. An ex boyfriend would get furious with me when I would consistently beat him at cards by just playing what I wanted to and not using "strategy," something he prided himself on. (He was a loser! Ha ha.)

15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight’s band menu is posted on our band thread. Spanish theme tonight. 

Oooooh, my FAVORITE! Now I have to go investigate "our" band thread!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight’s band menu is posted on our band thread. Spanish theme tonight. 

Yum, Tapas.  (Actually, I'm not really sure what that would consist of since I've never had it/them, just heard about it on Food Network.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Especially given Trebek's "It's a runaway, she can't be caught" comment.

Maybe she had a Sean Connery moment. "Can't be caught? Screw you Trebek. We'll see about that!"

• Love 10
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

You guys are really peaking my curiosity!

Could you all reign in the misused words, please?

Good game tonight. I like Deirdre, and her response of "I know, so proud!" when Alex commented that she must watch a lot of TV after she ran that Single Moms category was great. It's kind of another pet gripe of mine--implying that viewers spend too much time in front of the tube. It's possible to pick up things about TV shows without watching them, simply because they're so much a part of the culture.

I got sewing machine, Edward Albee. and Tudor (missed DD). I should have known FJ because it was more of a church calendar question than geography. I came up with Pentecost Island (which does exist).

• Love 10

I completely blanked on FJ tonight.  I knew it wasn't Madagascar, but couldn't for the life of me think of any other islands off the coast of Africa, and also couldn't remember what on the church calendar is 40 days after Easter.  I guess I should have paid more attention back in the day when my parents made me go to church (and Sunday school!) every week.

I only got the missed DD of Tudor, and that was a guess.  My brain let me down tonight -- I should have gotten sewing machine and Albee, but they were lost in the neural folds.

I guess Jon's skit as a kid was prophetic after all.  It didn't bother me that he lost -- I mostly just wanted him to step up the pace a bit.  I like the new champ... for now.

• Love 6

Well, I guessed Sao Tome for FJ - which is at least a Portuguese-named island off the coast of Africa with a religious meaning (St Thomas). Never heard of Ascension island but I would have assumed FJ would have been a Portuguese name. I googled the island and it could just as easily be described as "off the coast of South America". It's in the middle of the Atlantic.

• Love 6
(edited)

I like Deirdre.  Mainly because her jacket was in better alignment throughout the game than Diana's sweater. It really is the little things with me.

Tonight was the first time in a long time where I didn't get anything.  No TS.  No FJ.

<feels stoopid> 

;-)

Edited by lb60
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Good game tonight. I like Deirdre, and her response of "I know, so proud!" when Alex commented that she must watch a lot of TV after she ran that Single Moms category was great. It's kind of another pet gripe of mine--implying that viewers spend too much time in front of the tube. It's possible to pick up things about TV shows without watching them, simply because they're so much a part of the culture.

I got sewing machine, Edward Albee. and Tudor (missed DD). I should have known FJ because it was more of a church calendar question than geography. I came up with Pentecost Island (which does exist).

I wish they had pointed out Deidre's dad in the audience. I hate when Alex mocks contestants for pop culture knowledge. Another pet peeve is when he acts shocked when women know about sports.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I want to have Deirdre's babies.

LOL!  I love her!  If Diana the Smug had won, I might not have watched on Monday.  I can only take so much.

I got sewing machine,  Edward Albee, and Tudor (Diana's missed DD, which I didn't scream at the TV because I didn't want her to hear me).

For some strange and unknown reason, FJ was an instaget.  I have no idea where, or why, that was stored in my brain.  I've always thought of it as being closer to South America, too, @secnarf.  Maybe whatever map or globe I've seen it on was out of whack (that's a technical geographical term ?).

52 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It's possible to pick up things about TV shows without watching them, simply because they're so much a part of the culture.

I ran that TV category, too, and I've never watched half of those shows.

14 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I wish they had pointed out Deidre's dad in the audience.

Me too!

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

LOL. I sea what you did their.

19 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I want to have Deirdre's babies.

I said, "Eww, nasty" when I read this. Now I see you have competition from Carpe. You go girls. Have at it.

I don't even remember tonight's game, except that I didn't know FJ. I went through all the islands off Africa and none of them fit the clue. I googled Ascension Island and it completely disappeared when I reduced the map enough that Africa would show up. How in the world that Portuguese explorer found that little dot all alone in the ocean is pretty amazing.

18 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate when Alex mocks contestants for pop culture knowledge. Another pet peeve is when he acts shocked when women know about sports.

THIS. We'd all pass out if we added those two items to our drinking game.

• Love 8

What was that thing Diana guessed for Monaco instead of principality? Something like "dutchy"? Is that even a thing?

For FJ, I was like..."Is there a Lent Island?" Forty days the wrong way.

The past few days have had good players. I like the new champ.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, SHD said:

What was that thing Diana guessed for Monaco instead of principality? Something like "dutchy"? Is that even a thing?

lol...i said easter island...i'm off to the corner now!  i knew i was wrong but at least i thought i was cute.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SHD said:

Duchy: 
noun, plural duch·ies.
the territory ruled by a duke or duchess.

i like the new champ, as well!  I also liked Diana, though...didn't see her as smug ;-)

• Love 10
(edited)
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I know!!  That bugged me.  Its Daylight SAVING Time.  As any fan of VEEP knows thanks to Gary Cole.  Its neither plural nor possessive

There was another one as well where the same contestant added an 'S' to a title and they also accepted it, I forget which one now. 

Turns out I was wrong on the other one

I think the song was The Ballad of the Green Beret, but it is Green Berets, plural, which is what the contestant said. 

I just guessed on FJ tonight based on the 40 days and got it right.  Though if they count off for spelling I might has missed it.  Asencion. 

Also guessed on Tudors for DD.  Only English one I could think of for that time period, seemed about right

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Turns out I was wrong on the other one

I think the song was The Ballad of the Green Beret, but it is Green Berets, plural, which is what the contestant said. 

I did the same thing.  I could have sworn Green Berets wasn't plural in that song.  I can remember the name of some obscure island in the Atlantic but not the correct name of a song I've listened to 5,867 times.  Boo hiss.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Duchy: 
noun, plural duch·ies.
the territory ruled by a duke or duchess.

Example: The Duchy of Grand Fenwick in The Mouse That Roared.  Before your time?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Driad said:

I got Tudor. 

I think you mean Toooooooooooo-derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  At least that's what Alex gave as the answer.

Alex, Jon didn't mis-speak when he gave an incorrect answer, he was wrong.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I like Deirdre, and her response of "I know, so proud!" when Alex commented that she must watch a lot of TV after she ran that Single Moms category was great.

I liked her before she said that, but I loved her after.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

Ascension Island is east, Lent is west. :p

I did get FJ. Because of my sister's Catholic churchgoing, I was able to remember Ascension being after Easter. The first thought, however, was Ascencion, which I suppose could be in the Portuguese. I connect Ascension Island with WWII, and googling I see that I'm right, but where I heard of that I have no idea.

For missed clues, I only got Albee and Tudor.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Example: The Duchy of Grand Fenwick in The Mouse That Roared.  Before your time?

Yes! It WAS before my time, so I am totally excused for not knowing it, because there's no way I could know of it unless I was around exactly when it was released. That's how movies work!

• Love 12
10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For some strange and unknown reason, FJ was an instaget.  I have no idea where, or why, that was stored in my brain.  I've always thought of it as being closer to South America, too, @secnarf.  Maybe whatever map or globe I've seen it on was out of whack (that's a technical geographical term ?).

Ascension Island was an instaget for me, too. I'm pretty sure I've only heard of it in the comic strip Sherman's Lagoon. What does that say about me?

I loved the father/son category and the Canadian category. Frustrating that they saved those for last, and we didn't see all the Canadian clues.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I googled the island and it could just as easily be described as "off the coast of South America". It's in the middle of the Atlantic.

I was going to post this but you beat me to it:)

FJ was an instaget for me, based more on religious calendar than on geography; but I have heard of Ascension Island.

I got sewing machine and the missed DD of Tudor.

I too was hoping they would get to finish the Canadian history category but they did not. I don't know why they added "drop the puck" to the clue about the national anthem - it made me think of Stompin Tom Connors' The Hockey Song. And they play the national anthem at other sports games too.

I had nothing against Diane but I am glad Deirdre won.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, opus said:

Cool. One Day at a Time  question tonight. Would never have gotten it from the right side photo though. That's after my time.

I stumbled upon the One Day at a Time reboot and loved it so much I binged both seasons in one weekend. It's sharply written, and Rita Moreno is amazing, as always. I highly recommend it. 

My only gets were sewing machine, Columbia, and Albee. I missed FJ. 

• Love 7
On 6/13/2018 at 11:48 PM, Mystery Author said:

Ah, the Borscht Belt. My first mother-in-law took me there to hear Totie Fields. Anyone remember her? I cringed throughout her act, poor lady. I've never been big on fat jokes, and in my first published mystery, members of a diet club are getting killed off at goal weight.

I remember her - and I remember that book description hmm...

On 6/13/2018 at 11:58 PM, Toothbrush said:

@lb60Sorry to see Catherine go, and was really rooting for eye candy Nick. Diana was a non-entity for me, except I kept thinking about how much that shawl would annoy me across my shoulders like that.

I loved the shawl - I've never seen anything hand knitted that was that fine and delicate. But hated the way she wore it and the damn wooden peg she used to fasten it.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:18 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I need more grandchildren because I missed The Lion King and at my age I am not going to animated G movies by myself lest I look like a perv.

Was an older mother, so I did see The Lion King with my kids. It was pretty good. I stopped watching them after we didn't have to take the kids to them any more (but they still go to them all the time - so apparently there are plenty of adults in the audience).

On 6/14/2018 at 7:51 AM, DrScottie said:

They are most likely also variations on Hamlet. The uncle (Claudius/Scar) who kills the father (King Hamlet/Mufasa), the son (Prince Hamlet/Simba) has trouble dealing with it and himself, and the father returns as a ghost to convince his son to confront his uncle. There's a lot of overlap there between The Lion King and Hamlet. 

Not to mention Scar ends up with Simba's mother, like Claudius ended up with Gertrude. It was an instaget for me - because I knew both the play and the movie.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:56 AM, proserpina65 said:

Nope, that still doesn't help.  I guess I'm just genetically incapable of hearing it.  Which is lucky, I gather.

Maybe if you saw a video (or heard a recording) of the same person, saying the same thing in a non-fry manner and then fried up. Anyone out there up for looking for such an example? Could be the next Laurel/Yanni phenom. I thought her fry was fairly mild, and didn't hear it until it was pointed out.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:05 PM, opus said:

And I wondered if for Springsteen they'd accept "Who is Bruuuuce!!"

My husband wondered if they'd accept "The Boss."

On 6/14/2018 at 7:14 PM, Kathira said:

I noticed that, too. But now that "savings" has been accepted as right even on Jeopardy, I think the battle is lost.

The battle will be over when they finally end that abomination! (speaking, she says mildly, as someone who takes medication that is time sensitive and is screwed twice a year because of it)

On 6/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, forumfish said:

Did the "Don Juan" clue refer to the Byron work, or that by Molina? 'twould make a difference in the pronunciation.

Thank you! I couldn't remember which was which, but I knew there were two different pronunciations.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:24 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, bummer. I missed last night's show, as I had to go to the hospital for a "sleep study." How the hell are you supposed to have a representative night's sleep in a strange room and strange bed with electrodes attached everywhere? I may never get that damn goo out of my hair. After all that, AND missing Jeopardy!, they'd BETTER find out what's wrong with me.

I've often thought about getting a sleep study, but thought the things you point out wouldn't help. Plus (if I may be so crass) what happens if you need to get up and go to the powder room?

On 6/15/2018 at 6:53 AM, Mystery Author said:

Editor as well as author here. I'll reluctantly accept hopefully but not "they" as a singular! And I prefer eyes stay on faces, thus won't accept trailed, pierced, followed, swept (the room) and, especially, "dropped" (where they could get stepped on). Not that I remember, but Stephen King --- on page 257 of 11-22-63 --- had his character drop his eyes to the desk, and a couple of paragraphs later, same character picked his eyes up off the desk. Heh.

As my daughters have pointed out to me, we already use "they" as a singular in certain sentence formations (don't ask me to give examples, I'm a writer not an editor, dammit!). In any case, its use as a singular is becoming more prominent as some transgender (and LGBTQ) folk are using it as their preferred pronoun. So we need to get used to it.

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I ran that TV category, too, and I've never watched half of those shows.

Heck, I was out of the country with no American TV in 1968, and ran the category.

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Also guessed on Tudors for DD.  Only English one I could think of for that time period, seemed about right

The Tudors are the one royal family I happen to have a good feel for the dates. Well, starting with Henry the Eighth, of course.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I stumbled upon the One Day at a Time reboot and loved it so much I binged both seasons in one weekend. It's sharply written, and Rita Moreno is amazing, as always. I highly recommend it. 

My only gets were sewing machine, Columbia, and Albee. I missed FJ. 

51 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Netflix's One Day at a Time has been on my list for a while. I need to get to it.

I do know a bit about the Netflix remake, like it's about a Cuban family and Rita Moreno is in it (although the part I wrote about not recognizing the actress in the photo, that was true). I also know everyone who talks about it and writes about it loves it, and from the original series, Mackenzie Phillips has appeared on the new show, and Michael Lembeck has directed an episode.

Edited by opus
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, opus said:

I do know a bit about the Netflix remake, like it's about a Cuban family and Rita Moreno is in it (although the part I wrote about not recognizing the actress in the photo, that was true). I also know everyone who talks about it and writes about it loves it, and from the original series, Mackenzie Phillips has appeared on the show, and Michael Lembeck has directed an episode.

Yes, and the single mother is a veteran, and the show (like the original) deals with a lot of social issues as they impact the family. But in a funny, and touching, way. Rita Moreno is a treasure. I may be wrong, but I think they are pretty much using the same set design as well.

• Love 4

I had sewing machine thanks to Schoolhouse Rock - Mother Necessity (and, like the champ, I've watched a lot of TV in my life):

"Elias, can you help me with my sewing?
Mother dear, I'll fulfill your fondest wishes
Elias, how?
This machine I've made will keep your sewing really flowing
In fact, we'll keep the whole nation in stitches, ah!"

• Love 5
On 6/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, bummer. I missed last night's show, as I had to go to the hospital for a "sleep study." How the hell are you supposed to have a representative night's sleep in a strange room and strange bed with electrodes attached everywhere? I may never get that damn goo out of my hair. After all that, AND missing Jeopardy!, they'd BETTER find out what's wrong with me.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've often thought about getting a sleep study, but thought the things you point out wouldn't help. Plus (if I may be so crass) what happens if you need to get up and go to the powder room?

I had a sleep study done a number of years ago.  I was monitored throughout the night, and there was a call button so if I needed anything, like to get up to go to the bathroom, I could.  Turns out I have sleep apnea, waking an average of 20 times an hour.  Getting the C-PAP has improved my life so much.  PW, I hope they are able to help you.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I may be wrong, but I think they are pretty much using the same set design as well.

Re: One Day at a Time, I've seen several of the new episodes, and they're pretty good.  I think the set is quite a bit different.  For her "bedroom," "Grandma" (Rita Moreno) has a curtained off room.  The kids are a boy and a girl, instead of the two girls Ann Romano had.  It's on my list to continue to watch.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I had a sleep study done a number of years ago.  I was monitored throughout the night, and there was a call button so if I needed anything, like to get up to go to the bathroom, I could.  Turns out I have sleep apnea, waking an average of 20 times an hour.  Getting the C-PAP has improved my life so much.  PW, I hope they are able to help you.

Same.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Trey said:

I was going to post this but you beat me to it:)

FJ was an instaget for me, based more on religious calendar than on geography; but I have heard of Ascension Island.

I got sewing machine and the missed DD of Tudor.

I too was hoping they would get to finish the Canadian history category but they did not. I don't know why they added "drop the puck" to the clue about the national anthem - it made me think of Stompin Tom Connors' The Hockey Song. And they play the national anthem at other sports games too.

I had nothing against Diane but I am glad Deirdre won.

The "drop the puck" made me think of Hockey Night in Canada...except I was 100% sure Calixa Lavallee didn't write that one!

Too bad they didn't finish the category.

• Love 3

Watched it online today after having been preempted by a special election primary candidate debate. Voting in primaries is important and these upcoming mid-term elections are even more so, but stay away from my Jeopardy! Do get out and vote, though...

I got the Tudors, and that was pretty much it. I said Asuncion for the island, which I wonder if they would have accepted. Probably not. It is an island, but it's in the South Pacific, not the South Atlantic. 

5 hours ago, SuperCam1 said:

Love Deirdre's story about her father being on Jeopardy doing the Fleming era and nice that her father was there to watch her win on Jeopardy.

I was also glad that Deirdre won. That was a nice story and it would have been a tiny bit sad if she lost.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I said Asuncion for the island, which I wonder if they would have accepted. Probably not. It is an island, but it's in the South Pacific, not the South Atlantic. 

Probably would not have been accepted unless you misspelled it Asencion:)

• Love 5
On 6/15/2018 at 9:53 AM, Mystery Author said:

Editor as well as author here. I'll reluctantly accept hopefully but not "they" as a singular! And I prefer eyes stay on faces, thus won't accept trailed, pierced, followed, swept (the room) and, especially, "dropped" (where they could get stepped on). Not that I remember, but Stephen King --- on page 257 of 11-22-63 --- had his character drop his eyes to the desk, and a couple of paragraphs later, same character picked his eyes up off the desk. Heh.

LOL the following quote, especially "mute point."

They as singular still doesn't sound right, but when you look at situations where you need a pronoun for when either you don't know the gender, or the person doesn't identify as one of the accepted genders, I'm not sure what a better option is.  His/her and he/she seem pretty awkward.  Willing to listen to opinions. And yikes, hopefully I won't need to pick up any eyeballs.

• Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

They as singular still doesn't sound right, but when you look at situations where you need a pronoun for when either you don't know the gender, or the person doesn't identify as one of the accepted genders, I'm not sure what a better option is.  His/her and he/she seem pretty awkward.  Willing to listen to opinions. And yikes, hopefully I won't need to pick up any eyeballs.

In terms of unknown gender I think I'd go with "they". Like investigating a murder "They stabbed the victim here and then they dragged him over there". And who knows, maybe I'd luck out and there turned out to be two murderers.

Edited by opus
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, opus said:

In terms of unknown gender I think I'd go with "they". Like investigating a murder "They stabbed the victim here and then they dragged him over there". And who knows, maybe I'd luck out and there turned out to be two murderers.

Not sure I want to face a situation where I have to decide which is luckier, two murderers, or an editor.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, opus said:

As an editor, I would rewrite your sentence: "The victim was stabbed here (pointing to location, not body part!) and then dragged over there." Even better: "The victim was stabbed in the garage, then his body was dragged to the alley." I would never use "they" and I always rewrite when freelancers submit articles written in such a way.

I watched One Day at a Time with Ann Romano when it first aired. I've recently seen some of the reruns on ME-TV and I have to say, Schneider was/is totally a creepy stalker perv. I can't even watch now without wanting to call the cops on him and his porn 'stache.

3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I know it’s a different spelling but I was hoping she had answered Caan  ala  Star Trek  “Caaaaaannnnnn!!!”

That would have been totally AWESOME!

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've used they as a singular pronoun for years.  It doesn't take long to adopt, it's understood by the listener/reader, and it doesn't require a new word.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 13