Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The menu for tonight’s band practice includes hummus, a charcuterie platter, potato chips with onion dip, brownies and lemon cookies. I’ll be bringing an espresso machine for those who’ll need a pick me up. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The menu for tonight’s band practice includes hummus, a charcuterie platter, potato chips with onion dip, brownies and lemon cookies. I’ll be bringing an espresso machine for those who’ll need a pick me up. 

Oh, man, now you made me look up "charcuterie." I suppose it'll be a J clue soon, so "good for you," Mindthinkr. I'll take that espresso now, please.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was going to bring a two-four to the practice but remembered this is a high end orchestra so will bring some fine red wine - merlot's good, isn't it? I love a charcuterie platter - I googled some just now, just to look at them.

I did not do too well in last night's game.  I got a decent amount of answers but no ts's.  Did not get FJ although I just recently read The Lion King book I picked up for my grandson.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

I called out Cooke and Smith but knew Jeopardy wouldn't go there.

Sam Cooke is permanently on my top five list of all time favourite male singers.

• Love 4

I was finished with all three contestants after they missed Springsteen!  Springsteen!!  <smacks forehead> Yet another shoutout for me. 

To me, Diana comes off as smug.  Therefore, I want her off my tv.  

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I always think of British comedian David Mitchell when I hear that name.

Love him, and it's generally agreed by intelligent, red-blooded men that he's the luckiest man in the world.  (I'm female and heterosexual myself, but totally appreciate the viewpoint.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I was finished with all three contestants after they missed Springsteen!  Springsteen!!  <smacks forehead>

Agreed.  He couldn't possibly be before their time! I got that and Tokyo, but said Libra for FJ, thinking perhaps the knot indicated the top of the scales. 

I wonder if they would have accepted Adele Dazeem instead of Idina Menzel?

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed.  He couldn't possibly be before their time! I got that and Tokyo, but said Libra for FJ, thinking perhaps the knot indicated the top of the scales. 

And I wondered if for Springsteen they'd accept "Who is Bruuuuce!!"

• Love 9

"Cut the cheese." Who else did a LOL?

Fat bicycles are all the rage now. And Trek is being sued by Chris Farley's family for naming it's fat-tire bike The Farley.

WHAT! Trebek pronounced "Don Juan" as "Don WHAN" instead of "Don JOO-whan" as he has always done in the past. Is that the real Trebek or an imposter?

This was taped before the Tonys, of course, but Springsteen got TONS of social media attention after those awards.

I got the TS of Tokyo, although I've forgotten the clue.

I was positive FJ was Sagittarius, because the archer and all that. I figured those bow strings had to come together in a knot somewhere. I guess the key was knowing where Alrescha is. Which obviously I don't. But Sag is my sun sign so I was sticking with it.

• Love 8

I’m kind of sorry that Adam lost. He was fast and was trying to get through all the categories quickly. I thought Diana looked pretty drab tonight. I got Tokyo, Springsteen, indigo (Roy G. Biv) and Nautilus (which was built near Saratoga Springs! N.Y. -go figure...miles from water) It was one of J. Rickover’s pet projects. I did get FJ but it helped that I am one! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Green salad here, and homemade vinaigrette.

(Pet peeve coming up:  people on Food Network, please stop pronouncing vinaigrette as "vinegar-ette".  It makes my teeth itch.)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Sounds good. My menu for band practice or the green room is different from what I’m actually making or eating for dinner. I’m a pretty good cook. Requests are always welcome. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought Alex was rude to Diana after Final Jeopardy. She won more in one night than some people make in a year.

No kidding. Trebek needs to be reminded that what he drops on lunch at Spago's is more than what some people make working 40 hours a week for a year. He's such a jackass about what people win/don't win on this show, like he gets a bonus if people win more than X amount.

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m kind of sorry that Adam lost. He was fast and was trying to get through all the categories quickly.

Yes, he was much appreciated by me.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

indigo (Roy G. Biv) 

This never makes sense to me as I always just want to know who Roy G. Biv is.  I grew up with Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.  (Sorry about the caps for prepositions, but you get the point!)

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Brookside said:

(Pet peeve coming up:  people on Food Network, please stop pronouncing vinaigrette as "vinegar-ette".  It makes my teeth itch.)

I just took a couple minutes saying "vinaigrette" out loud to myself to figure out how I say it. And of course, because I read your pet peeve, each time I say it, it sounds a little different. I'll just point at it and say "that's tasty" instead of naming it!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Pallida said:

I just took a couple minutes saying "vinaigrette" out loud to myself to figure out how I say it. And of course, because I read your pet peeve, each time I say it, it sounds a little different. I'll just point at it and say "that's tasty" instead of naming it!

Salad dressing also works. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I like Diana, and I'm glad she won today, especially after her DD wagering. So many women (I'm purposely using women instead of female because this is Jeopardy, where women is an adjective) contestants wager so timidly it frustrates me. Keep it up, Diana. Cut the cheese had me howling! 

BTW, did any of you catch her wagering error?i think she miscalculated what twice of Katherine's score would've been? Considering our recent discussion here that really jumped out at me. 

The only TS I got was the final. I was trying to think of signs with two of something, and pisces was my first thought. I consdiered gemini, but pisces made more sense. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Thanks for the compliment.  I think we can safely say that everything will be delicious.  (And I'll be happy to give you your two minutes back when we meet.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I was finished with all three contestants after they missed Springsteen!  Springsteen!!  <smacks forehead> Yet another shoutout for me. 

Same here.  I really, really dislike smug Diana.  I was rooting for Adam, because Denver, and he was businesslike and was plowing through those clues trying to catch up.

I, of course, got Springsteen and I got bicycle.

I got FJ because my mother's sign was Pisces.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

WHAT! Trebek pronounced "Don Juan" as "Don WHAN" instead of "Don JOO-whan" as he has always done in the past. Is that the real Trebek or an imposter?

I know!  Is he sick or something?  Maybe that brain surgery (or whatever it was he had) removed JOO-whan from his memory.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of Tokyo, although I've forgotten the clue.

30 Seconds Over______. I'm not sure what the category was - something about rock songs. I didn't recognize the name of the singer. I guessed it from the movie. Also got Springsteen and put for dough. FJ really was a stumper for sre. I guessed Virgo. I thought maybe tying the knot, the virgin getting married, but I knew it was wrong. That it was two fishing lines tied together didn't occur to me.

I like the champ. She's an aggressive bettor, which I always like to see. Also, she's a sci-fi girl and we need to stick together.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Same here.  I really, really dislike smug Diana.  I was rooting for Adam, because Denver, and he was businesslike and was plowing through those clues trying to catch up.

I, of course, got Springsteen and I got bicycle.

I got FJ because my mother's sign was Pisces.

I know!  Is he sick or something?  Maybe that brain surgery (or whatever it was he had) removed JOO-whan from his memory.

Or Alex could have been replaced by a host from Westworld! 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

No other DST pedants here?  They accepted daylight savingS time for  daylight saving time?  Never mind, I'll just go back to my driver ed class...

I noticed that, too. But now that "savings" has been accepted as right even on Jeopardy, I think the battle is lost.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, teebax said:

BTW, did any of you catch her wagering error?i think she miscalculated what twice of Katherine's score would've been? Considering our recent discussion here that really jumped out at me. 

Yes, Diana bet too much in final!  If Katherine had doubled and got it right, Diana would have lost by $1,000, as Diana got it wrong.  Alex even pointed out that Diana had a runaway and had a lot of room to bet.  Katherine, unfortunately (like her better than Diana), got the response wrong, and did not bet enough to win on the off chance that Diana did what she actually did, bet too much in final and get it wrong. 

DrSpaceman's point is proven correct in this case.    I thought more people would be talking about this.  It didn't end up mattering, but the point is that someone with a runaway game bet enough to lose the game if wrong, as she was. 

I also do not think Alex should point out runaways.  We know, we can see it, the contestants can see it, he should not point it out as maybe the person in the lead does not see it.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 8
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I noticed that, too. But now that "savings" has been accepted as right even on Jeopardy, I think the battle is lost.

I know, I know... I've come to accept "Hopefully", and "they" as a singular, so ...

Edited by SoMuchTV
Commas matter!
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know, I know... I've come to accept "Hopefully" and "they" as a singular, so ...

Irregardless, I'm glad to see you made a 360 degree turn on that. It's a mute point.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

"Cut the cheese." Who else did a LOL?

Me! Me! 

TSs I got were Toyko and Springsteen, which I got only because of watching The Tonys.

For FJ I first said Lyre, then thought there was no knot in that, so I guesses Diana/Artemis because of her bow. Oh well.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I can’t stand smarty pants Diana either. I really hope Diana continues to win, wink-wink.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Damn that John Travolta -- I couldn't remember the woman's name in time because of his foolishness!

For TS I got armed and Springsteen, and like others above thought FJ was Libra. 

I remember Totie Fields being on the Merv Griffin Show (or maybe Mike Douglas?) when I was a kid. When I learned her leg was amputated I was freaked out. It seemed so strange that such a happy lady would have no leg.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Yes, Diana bet too much in final!  If Katherine had doubled and got it right, Diana would have lost by $1,000, as Diana got it wrong.  Alex even pointed out that Diana had a runaway and had a lot of room to bet.  Katherine, unfortunately (like her better than Diana), got the response wrong, and did not bet enough to win on the off chance that Diana did what she actually did, bet too much in final and get it wrong. 

DrSpaceman's point is proven correct in this case.    I thought more people would be talking about this.  It didn't end up mattering, but the point is that someone with a runaway game bet enough to lose the game if wrong, as she was. 

I also do not think Alex should point out runaways.  We know, we can see it, the contestants can see it, he should not point it out as maybe the person in the lead does not see it.

If she had lost because of it this board would've crashed the PTV servers. I like her, but it would've been funny to see her lose that way just to read the reactions of our amazing posters here. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, teebax said:

As he usually does, Trebek prefaced his response to the runaway person (Diana) with "who could not be caught." Well, she could have thanks to her bonehead wager. 

It didn't happen this time, but can any of us recall someone blow a runaway lead (besides Cliff Clavin)? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 12

OMG Diana's FJ wager! She was lucky as hell that Katherine answered incorrectly also. Adam would have probably won a game or 2 without Diana the machine as an opponent. I really liked him, and knew that @CarpeDiem54 was rooting for him too. Diana's 2 DD wagers of exactly the amount she was ahead bugged me for some reason. Like, she didn't want to give it any thought, although based on her FJ wager, that could be the case. But all in all she doesn't bother me. 

TS I got were Armed Forces & Bruce Springsteen. No clue for FJ so Dr. Toothbrush & I each went with our zodiac signs, and he got lucky since he is a Pisces. 

Nutella must be included on the craft table. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said the same! 

• Love 7

The Lion King from yesterday was an instaget.  I got all of the music TSs, and the golf one ("putt for dough").

Not a fan of the champ's condescending tone or Clavinesque betting in FJ.

If vocal fry is what I think it is (a lower, croaky sound as though the voice was breaking a little bit), I'm a fan.

• Love 3

Old song, verse 1:
Tell me why the stars do shine.
Tell me why the ivy twines.
Tell me why the sky's so blue,
And I will tell you just why I love you.

Verse 2, traditional version:
Because God made the stars to shine,
Because God made the ivy twine,
Because God made the sky so blue,
Because God made you, that's why I love you.

Verse 2, scientists' version:
Nuclear fusion makes stars to shine.
Tropisms make the ivy twine.
Rayleigh scattering makes sky so blue.
Testicular hormones are why I love you.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

They accepted Daylight Savings Time.

I know!!  That bugged me.  Its Daylight SAVING Time.  As any fan of VEEP knows thanks to Gary Cole.  Its neither plural nor possessive

There was another one as well where the same contestant added an 'S' to a title and they also accepted it, I forget which one now. 

• Love 2

Oh, bummer. I missed last night's show, as I had to go to the hospital for a "sleep study." How the hell are you supposed to have a representative night's sleep in a strange room and strange bed with electrodes attached everywhere? I may never get that damn goo out of my hair. After all that, AND missing Jeopardy!, they'd BETTER find out what's wrong with me.

• Love 9

I've come to accept "Hopefully", and "they" as a singular, so ...

Editor as well as author here. I'll reluctantly accept hopefully but not "they" as a singular! And I prefer eyes stay on faces, thus won't accept trailed, pierced, followed, swept (the room) and, especially, "dropped" (where they could get stepped on). Not that I remember, but Stephen King --- on page 257 of 11-22-63 --- had his character drop his eyes to the desk, and a couple of paragraphs later, same character picked his eyes up off the desk. Heh.

LOL the following quote, especially "mute point."

Irregardless, I'm glad to see you made a 360 degree turn on that. It's a mute point.

• Love 5

I could care less.

You guys are really peaking my curiosity!

I'd be happier about getting a FJ that Alex said was a tough one if astronomy weren't right in my wheelhouse. Took a few seconds, but thought of it in plenty of time to write it down; fortunately, Pisces is no Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

I would have liked to have seen the champ's reaction if she had lost last night. She sure tried her best to pull off a Claven. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I agree. It goes against my notion of good sportsmanship and is dismissive of the two contestants. They deserve Alex's unbiased support for all contestants through the bitter end.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

No Jeopardy last night or tonight due to the stupid US Open.  Pooey!

One word: YouTube.

A poster here put up a hidden spoiler before yesterday's game saying to pay attention to the FJ wagers. Even with that tip off, I couldn't follow the wager (non) strategies nor make it through any discussions of the same here. My brain already hurts.

And you mean there are strings in the Pisces constellation? I even looked it up and don't see strings or a knot.

I feel amazingly stupid today. But I did LOL at Kathira's "Irregardless, I'm glad to see you made a 360 degree turn on that. It's a mute point." So I'm not totally ready for the grave yet I guess.

• Love 8
(edited)
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

A poster here put up a hidden spoiler before yesterday's game saying to pay attention to the FJ wagers. Even with that tip off, I couldn't follow the wager (non) strategies nor make it through any discussions of the same here. My brain already hurts.

That was me.  I will try to put the betting mistake into a hopefully simple sentence.  The player going into final had a runaway, but bet too much (by $1,000), so that the player in second place, if she had bet everything she could and got it right, the player with a runaway would have lost if she got it wrong.  Turns out nobody got it right and player in second place going into final did not bet everything she could have bet. 

Another way of putting it, the player with a runaway had to actually get final correct in order to win if the player in second had bet everything and gotten final correct.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

One word: YouTube.

Buffering, unfortunately.  I don't watch much stuff on the computer because it drives me crazy.  I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thanks Bazinga. I should have written down everyone's scores and then the bets, then I could have (might have!) seen that. But once the bets are revealed and totals changed, I forget what everyone had. But yes, that could have been a Cliff Clavin Moment. It would have been pretty cool if it had happened, the second-place person winning. Especially given Trebek's "It's a runaway, she can't be caught" comment.

35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't watch much stuff on the computer because it drives me crazy.

LOL. My computer monitor is bigger and has better resolution than my tv. Plus it doesn't drop reception when the wind shifts.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
(edited)

Here are the scores, going into and after FJ. (borrowed from Jboard)

Diana Hsu: 29600-9000=20600 (2X = $44,601)
Adam Manning: 8600-8599=1
Katherine Pisarro-Grant: 10800-6401=4399

I didn't even notice her error until someone pointed it out here.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4