Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Aww, I didn't mean to leave you out. You are getting all the shoutouts lately! One Hundred Acre Wood & The Eagles!

Yay me!!

I got another one tonight, also a TS.  Sebastian Cabot.  I loved Family Affair (that apartment was to die for), Uncle Bill (dreamy), the twins, Cissy, Mr. French, and Mrs. Beasley.  It's a shame that things ended in tragedy for some of the cast. Anyway, I also love Sebastian for his connection to Winnie the Pooh.

I also got Salt Lake City.  Genealogy = LDS = Salt Lake City.

FJ was an instaget.  I remember when my mom and I took my niece and nephews to see it when it came out. Oldest nephew, about 8 at the time, was not thrilled with our selection.  Until the movie started.  He loved it!!

Not a fan of the new champ.  Or her shawl.  It looks like it's being held together with a chip clip on the right shoulder.

Edited by lb60
Adding my dislike for the new champ. lol
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me, and I also got the TS/missed DD of embryology, Salt Lake City, Goldberg Variations, and Sebastian Cabot.

I called FJ before the clue as many of you have. Got those missed TS also.

1 minute ago, lb60 said:

Oldest nephew, about 8 at the time, was not thrilled with our selection.  Until the movie started.  He loved it!!

. How did he take what happened to Mufasa? 

• Love 4

I felt very grown up when I took my baby sister to see The Lion King for her fifth birthday - I was 11. When Mufasa died, I cried, and she didn't!

Looooved the new champ's shawl. I usually skip the interviews, but I watched hers. So I like her for that alone.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ABay said:

I do know what vocal fry is but Catherine didn't sound like she had it to me.

I agree. She sounded very nasal but, to my ears, she didn't have the throaty quality of vocal fry. I guess it doesn't matter anymore, though.

9 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I called FJ before the clue as many of you have. Got those missed TS also.

. How did he take what happened to Mufasa? 

I don't know how an 8 year old took it but I was in my 20's when I saw it an I was a wreck! And I STILL would be. I can't even stand to see CARTOON animals hurt or sad.

But I did get this FJ!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

How did he take what happened to Mufasa? 

I think he mentioned something about the circle of life.  lol  I actually don't remember his reaction to that part.  I, on the other hand, still remember being terrified of a certain scene in Bambi.  Walt was a bit of a sick f***.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ErinV said:

Were they kidding with "Singin' in the Rain" being a $1000 clue and a DD?  That was so easy.  

But it was before their time!

• Love 7

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I want to get in on the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers!! I can sort of play trombone (aka sackbutt)!

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm so poor at math and betting strategies that I couldn't even make it through the posts here discussing it. Long story short, if I were in a distant third, I'd bet zero. And that's the end of my betting strategy story.

I had to laugh when Catherine was introduced with no necklace/pendant. I'm sure she had a new one with her but Trebek's snark yesterday made her leave it in her travel bag. And there went her power to win another game. So it's Trebek's fault she lost. He's such a dickweed, making my favorite lose.

Everyone talks about vocal fry in every thread here, but I have yet to know what it is or even hear it. Catherine's voice didn't bother me at all. The new champ is on the fence with me. If she starts upspeaking her answers, she's on my "please lose" list.

Huey Long was a clue/answer not too long ago. It would pay for future contestants to study up on him.

Brown is a popular college for producing Jeopardy players. The Thespian David, College ToC Dhruv and someone this time too. The new champ? Anyway, you young'uns out there, consider Brown if you want to get on this show.

I could have rocked the 1968 TV Shows category if it had gone on for hours. I watched every show back then. You know, when there were only three channels and the stations went off the air at midnight. I even spent time watching the test pattern. So of course I got Sebastian Cabot.

Neutrinos ... I would have bet money those are cookies. They sound delicious.

I had no clue for FJ, so I'm back to normal. Normal being I never know FJ. Sure, I've seen The Lion King but it just blends in with the bazillion other Disney animated movies. I have no idea how it relates to Hamlet so that clue was no help whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My uncle was married to a Romani woman, though I never met her. My parents had stories - which were tinged with juuust a little bias against her, which given that the uncle was a con man (and served time) seemed strange to me.

You have an interesting family and great stories. You need to be a Jeopardy category.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12

Math was always my worst subject in school, so my betting strategy would be terrible.  I like the new Champ with her knitted shawl...I thought she looked nice, but I had to laugh when Alex said he wanted to learn to knit: Ha!  Regarding vocal fry: just think Kim Kardashian!

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My uncle was married to a Romani woman, though I never met her. My parents had stories - which were tinged with juuust a little bias against her, which given that the uncle was a con man (and served time) seemed strange to me.

You have an interesting family and great stories. You need to be a Jeopardy category.

Made me laugh. And then go...hmmm, maybe I've been oversharing. LOL.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I want to get in on the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers!! I can sort of play trombone (aka sackbutt)!

I can play "The Washington Post March" by heart, so we're gonna have to have a Sousa-off for first chair of the trombone section.  Other band members may want to invest in earplugs.

42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone talks about vocal fry in every thread here, but I have yet to know what it is or even hear it. Catherine's voice didn't bother me at all. The new champ is on the fence with me. If she starts upspeaking her answers, she's on my "please lose" list.

I did a little experiment with Windows Voice Recorder, demonstrating the difference between a normal voice (okay, normal for me) and vocal fry, but it's not in a format that's accepted in the Drag Files box below.  I guess my dulcet tones will remain a mystery.

47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

To me they sound like a breakfast cereal.  "Nerds love Neutrinos! The cereal that energizes your brain!"

That shawl was pretty--I don't know if the very subtle color pattern knitted in was visible unless you have HD--but boy, was she wearing it badly.  Someone should take her backstage and zhuzh her a little if she's going to wear it again tomorrow.  And then she should go.

I think we should add the Sebastian Cabot Memorial Juggling Butlers to our stage extravaganza, in honor of the late Mr. French.  Somebody here can juggle, yes?

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Sure, I've seen The Lion King but it just blends in with the bazillion other Disney animated movies. I have no idea how it relates to Hamlet so that clue was no help whatsoever.

The short version: Uncle kills father leaving son with an existential crisis who gets convinced by the ghost of his father to confront his murderous uncle. 

• Love 12

The musicians with the same name category was like embarrassingly easy. Was it written on take your child to work day and they let the kids write it because I can’t believe it was allowed.

• Love 7

Sorry to be stupid inept, but is there a place to watch past episodes?  I don't usually care when I miss one, but for some reason have a yen to watch tonight's.  I have Comcast.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I got another one tonight, also a TS.  Sebastian Cabot.  I loved Family Affair (that apartment was to die for), Uncle Bill (dreamy), the twins, Cissy, Mr. French, and Mrs. Beasley.

Yes to everything you said. Even now I can hear the theme song in my head. I adored Mr. French.

I also got Salt Lake City.  Genealogy = LDS = Salt Lake City.

Yup. I think I might have learned that from Jeopardy.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I could have rocked the 1968 TV Shows category if it had gone on for hours. I watched every show back then. You know, when there were only three channels and the stations went off the air at midnight. I even spent time watching the test pattern. So of course I got Sebastian Cabot.

You and me both. I couldn't have watched everything, but it sure seemed like it. 

• Love 7

"Neutrino" means "little neutral one."  You could probably use the name for cookies that are, say, neither totally chocolate nor totally vanilla.

If "Singing in the Rain" is before the contestants' time, how the bleep are they supposed to know about Hamlet?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I agree, his 0 bet was the right thing to do, since he was fairly back in third place.  I read the JBoard too sometimes - they really take the wagering seriously. As should contestants.

JBoard?

• Love 3

I fell behind on this show and kept thinking I'd catch up, but now it's been too long, so this was the first episode I've seen in a couple of weeks. I trust someone made an "Oh no" joke when a contestant's last name was Ono? I missed the genesis (not that I really need it) of the "Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers!" Perhaps it should be introduced with "Oh no, it's the..."

8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Sorry to be stupid inept, but is there a place to watch past episodes?  I don't usually care when I miss one, but for some reason have a yen to watch tonight's.  I have Comcast.

Not legally, but that popular video site tends to have them these days, which is surprising but true.

4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

JBoard?

https://JBoard.tv, a forum devoted to Jeopardy.

• Love 3

INeutrinos ... I would have bet money those are cookies. They sound delicious.

Guess what...

4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Try You Tube. I slept through an episode last week but was able to find it there.

Add me to the list of Sebastian Cabot fans. 

25 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

To me they sound like a breakfast cereal.  "Nerds love Neutrinos! The cereal that energizes your brain!"

That shawl was pretty--I don't know if the very subtle color pattern knitted in was visible unless you have HD--but boy, was she wearing it badly.  Someone should take her backstage and zhuzh her a little if she's going to wear it again tomorrow.  And then she should go.

I like the new champ. I thought the Poli Sci prof would have done better; that category of political books was made for him.

What is "zhuzhing"? Do you mean shush?

Neutrinos the breakfast cereal...ha! You reminded me that back in high school, we had to write our own commercials for imaginary products. One group came up with "Cerebral Cereal"--It Sends Students to Smartness. It even came in different flavors. The Math one was Apple Pi. I don't remember the rest.

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Sorry to be stupid inept, but is there a place to watch past episodes? 

On Youtube, try searching for Jeopardy and the date, e.g. Jeopardy June 13, 2018.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Ha!  No, shushing her would be a pretty serious handicap for her to overcome in playing the game  I really did mean zhuzh.  I'm assuming you didn't watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy back in its original incarnation?  Carson the fashion guy was always zhuzhing.   Zhuzhing something (or someone) is to fuss with it and amp it up and rearrange it to look better.  There's no origin info on that link, but my guess would be it comes directly or indirectly from Yiddish.

Apple Pi is a great flavor name!

• Love 10
(edited)
16 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Prettify, add sparkle, put your mark on, etc.

ETA: Just looked it up and ironically enough the only etymology I found is Romani.  (To be Yiddish it would have to use the back of the throat "ch", like chutzpah and challah!)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 7

Yeah, as soon as genealogy is mentioned, it's Salt Lake City and the Mormons. They're a great resource for that, although I have a low-level dislike for the reasons that they're into it.

I also got Future Shock and the Borscht Belt. Grossinger's is abandoned now, but nobody puts Baby in a corner.

• Love 13
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Yeah, as soon as genealogy is mentioned, it's Salt Lake City and the Mormons. They're a great resource for that, although I have a low-level dislike for the reasons that they're into it.

I also got Future Shock and the Borscht Belt. Grossinger's is abandoned now, but nobody puts Baby in a corner.

She doesn't need to be put in a corner, she's already been appropriated in (by?) the LDS records.

Edited by Brookside
not sure about the grammar
  • Love 4

Aw, I was rooting for Nick to win. That missed Bach DD had to hurt but he didn't seem to have ever heard "Borscht Belt".

For TS I got Deepak Chopra, Mitchell (sans "David" because I couldn't remember), and Sebastian Cabot. and the missed DD Borscht Belt.

FJ was an instaget, even though I've never seen The Lion King. I just remembered there was a core father/son theme.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Brookside said:

ETA: Just looked it up and ironically enough the only etymology I found is Romani.  (To be Yiddish it would have to use the back of the throat "ch", like chutzpah and challah!)

I grew up in a household with a grandmother who spoke Yiddish.  The "ch" sound isn't the only digraph used in Yiddish.  Think of "schmuck," for example.  Or "tsuris" or "putz." They all use the front of the mouth.

I think "zhuzh" was related to Romani, but it seems to have more to do with Polari, which was a slanguage created starting in the 1600s by a whole range of marginalized people and notably used by gay men in London.  There's a very interesting video interview about it, which I haven't seen all of yet, because I'm supposed to be working.  But clearly I'm more interested in some mythical music group.  ;o)

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I grew up in a household with a grandmother who spoke Yiddish.  The "ch" sound isn't the only digraph used in Yiddish.  Think of "schmuck," for example.  Or "tsuris" or "putz." They all use the front of the mouth.

You're right of course.  Was just thinking of all the over-pronounced yiddishisms out there!  I was trying to think of a sitcom episode long ago when someone was trying to pass as Jewish and totally overdid the digraphs (thanks for that new word!).  Someone on Seinfeld perhaps? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Brookside said:

You're right of course.  Was just thinking of all the over-pronounced yiddishisms out there!  I was trying to think of a sitcom episode long ago when someone was trying to pass as Jewish and totally overdid the digraphs (thanks for that new word!).  Someone on Seinfeld perhaps? 

Can't place for you, but no, don't think it was Seinfeld.

• Love 2

and the Borscht Belt

Ah, the Borscht Belt. My first mother-in-law took me there to hear Totie Fields. Anyone remember her? I cringed throughout her act, poor lady. I've never been big on fat jokes, and in my first published mystery, members of a diet club are getting killed off at goal weight. 

Anyway. . .Totie's real name was Sophie Feldman. I would think she'd take a more urbane pseudonym, like Sally Field or Totie Carson.

Rats! I jinxed Catherine. I'll have to work on my wink-winks.

• Love 8

Sorry to see Catherine go, and was really rooting for eye candy Nick. Diana was a non-entity for me, except I kept thinking about how much that shawl would annoy me across my shoulders like that. 

Surprised we didn't get a 'before your time' regarding the 1968 TV shows. 

TS I got were SLC (missed DD), Chopra, Borscht Belt (missed DD), Sebastian Cabot (another shoutout to @lb60!)  I pre-guessed Beauty & the Beast for FJ but Dr. Toothbrush correctly pre-guessed Lion King. 

6 hours ago, ABay said:

I do know what vocal fry is but Catherine didn't sound like she had it to me.

She sounded more nasally to me than anything. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Ah, the Borscht Belt. My first mother-in-law took me there to hear Totie Fields. Anyone remember her? I cringed throughout her act, poor lady. I've never been big on fat jokes, and in my first published mystery, members of a diet club are getting killed off at goal weight. 

Anyway. . .Totie's real name was Sophie Feldman. I would think she'd take a more urbane pseudonym, like Sally Field or Totie Carson.

Rats! I jinxed Catherine. I'll have to work on my wink-winks.

I remember Totie Fields. She was a regular on daytime and prime time talk shows (as well as late night) in the 60's and 70's.  I even bought her book, I Think I'll Start on Monday. Yes, the fat jokes could be cringeworthy, but in her way she was a pioneer of the fat acceptance movement. She loved to wear loud clothes with bold patterns instead of the dark colors and vertical stripes fat ladies are told to wear. Too bad her health problems--diabetes, phlebitis, heart trouble--led to her losing a leg and dying at 48. There's a strong argument against obesity right there. As for her name, if she'd been born a few decades later I think she would have been encouraged to keep her real name. It sounds like the female equivalent of Jerry Seinfeld.

4 hours ago, opus said:

Can't place for you, but no, don't think it was Seinfeld.

Speaking of Seinfeld...there was an episode where his dentist Tim Whatley (played by Bryan Cranston!!!) converts to Judaism and overdoes the Jewish jokes and the Yiddishisms. Maybe that's what @BROOKSIDE had in mind?

• Love 14

I remember Totie Fields. I didn’t come up with the Borsht Belt but said Ellenville, NY where a lot of those places were located. Ran the category Singers with the same name which meant that it was too easy. I got Salt Lake City, Sebastian Cabot (loved that show and especially his character) and Green Acres. The music to the latter is now an ear worm. I need more grandchildren because I missed The Lion King and at my age I am not going to animated G movies by myself lest I look like a perv. Add me to the list of people who were having trouble with Diana’s shawl. I would have hoped that someone backstage would have said something to her. One of the hair/make up people for instance. Nick surprised me with his bungee jump story. Over 700’...sounds scary. I thought that the highest one was in New Zealand not Africa. I suppose that will show up as an answer in a few months. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Pallida said:

If Catherine were silly enough to bet more than 4799, she's playing to not win as she increases her competition by creating an opportunity for two people to beat her instead of one person. Yes, there are times when people overwager from first and screw themselves out of a win, but it's far more likely that won't happen. Those in second place are more likely to overwager to try to beat the first place person, discounting the impact of a third place player. 

But, I'm pretty sure we aren't going to agree on this, and I'm happy to move along. I just request you don't refer to "stupid" wagers simply because someone didn't risk placement in hopes that another individual would make an irrational wager.

If his plan was to try to win, which I would think is the goal of most who go on the show, it was a stupid wager.  I agree its more likely Catherine was not going to bet that much, but it was not a huge margin ($400 or so) between what she was likely to wager and how much she would have to wager for him to win and we have certainly see stranger things than that happen. 

If he was happy coming trying to come in second place rather than third place, it was the right wager to make.  I would just never play like that if I actually made it on Jeopardy and I would think most people would not either.  I wouldn't care about 2nd vs 3rd place if there was even a small chance to win the game. 

And yes, we probably aren't going to agree on it.  It comes down to what your goal is at the end of the game.  2nd vs 3rd place would not mean anything to me.  I don't even pay attention to who ends up in 2nd/3rd place in most games. 

I knew FJ and have heard before about how The Lion King is like Hamlet, though I have always thought that to be a bit of a stretch.  Sure there is the killed father and the son returns to be King, but its not like that is unique to Hamlet or has not been done in many other variations and forms in other movies. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The musicians with the same name category was like embarrassingly easy. Was it written on take your child to work day and they let the kids write it because I can’t believe it was allowed.

I pre-guessed Sedaka/Diamond and was disappointed when they didn't show up.

I don't think I've ever met a gypsy/Roma, but I have seen the grave of the King of the Gypsies in Mississippi...the other graves around the Gypsy clan were not as festive looking - The Queen's even had MardiGras beads on it. I'm not sure what the significance of the potato is.

2011.04.22.03 King of the Gypsies.JPG

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

pre-guessed Sedaka/Diamond and was disappointed when they didn't show up.

Mine was jokingly Lennon/Legend but then they were equally as easy! The category really pissed me off!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I knew FJ and have heard before about how The Lion King is like Hamlet, though I have always thought that to be a bit of a stretch.  Sure there is the killed father and the son returns to be King, but its not like that is unique to Hamlet or has not been done in many other variations and forms in other movies. 

They are most likely also variations on Hamlet. The uncle (Claudius/Scar) who kills the father (King Hamlet/Mufasa), the son (Prince Hamlet/Simba) has trouble dealing with it and himself, and the father returns as a ghost to convince his son to confront his uncle. There's a lot of overlap there between The Lion King and Hamlet. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Kathira said:

I also got Future Shock and the Borscht Belt.

I could vaguely see the paperback cover of Future Shock in my head, but I just couldn't make out the title. I was kicking myself for missing Borscht Belt. I was trying to make an alliterative phrase with Poconos.

11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got Deepak Chopra, Mitchell (sans "David" because I couldn't remember)...

Again, I was kicking myself. A couple of days ago I had looked up David Mitchell's works (because I always think of British comedian David Mitchell when I hear that name).

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, dcalley said:

I trust someone made an "Oh no" joke when a contestant's last name was Ono?

Oh no, no one did. And no one made a joke about the guy a couple days ago, last name Downer. It was so obvious, I didn't want to be the one who did.

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

INeutrinos ... I would have bet money those are cookies. They sound delicious.

Guess what...

To quote George Takai: "Oh, my." I'm smarter than I thought I was.  And they still sound delicious.

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Just looked it up and ironically enough the only etymology I found is Romani.

Carson (!) is a GYPSY! Yeay!

Wow to the picture of the King of Gypsy's grave. Thanks for that. I know about placing rocks on a gravestone but now I have to find out about the Romani potato meaning.

Once again, a FJ category that's suppose to be about cartoon movies is really about Shakespeare.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I can't believe people who are smart enough to make it on jeopardy can be so bad at basic math and simple game theory situations. 

I know nothing about game theory.  I made my FJ bet in an attempt to end up with more than twice what the guy in third would have, hoping that the champ would get the answer wrong.  I wish to hell I'd bet nothing.  Still wouldn't have won, but I'd have ended up in second and not third.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

The assumption that 1. Catherine will bet 4401 only and 2.  Maximizing your chance to get second place by giving up completely his chance of winning, is where I disagree.   She could decide to bet more, even slightly more and he still has a chance to win. 

When you have less than half of what the contestant in the lead has, most people would bet low, figuring, usually quite accurately, that they don't have a chance to win.  It's not stupid to think that the leader isn't going to risk a big bet.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Salt Lake City, Goldberg Variations, and Sebastian Cabot

I got all of these as well.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, I never hear vocal fry either.  I liked Catherine and will miss her.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Math was always my worst subject in school, so my betting strategy would be terrible.  I like the new Champ with her knitted shawl...I thought she looked nice, but I had to laugh when Alex said he wanted to learn to knit: Ha!  Regarding vocal fry: just think Kim Kardashian!

Nope, that still doesn't help.  I guess I'm just genetically incapable of hearing it.  Which is lucky, I gather.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Add me to the list of Sebastian Cabot fans. 

I'm currently reading a book about the search for the Northwest Passage, and when I came upon the explorer Sebastian Cabot, I found myself imagining Mr. French in the Arctic.

• Love 9

When you have less than half of what the contestant in the lead has, most people would bet low, figuring, usually quite accurately, that they don't have a chance to win.  It's not stupid to think that the leader isn't going to risk a big bet.

It was not a "big bet" that was needed by the person in first place though.  It was just $400 more than what she actually bet for a chance to win, and we have certainly seen all sorts of strange betting from contestants where that just might happen.  Maybe she loves the FJ category, feels confident to bet more but then misses.  Maybe she just miscalculates.  Who knows.  But I would take a chance for a $400 swing.  I am not saying its likely, I am saying it could happen and stranger bets we have seen, so I certainly would not just eliminate myself from at least a possible win just based on what I think someone else should bet or will likely bet. 

And again it does back to philosophy, but I would play to win, don't care if I come in whichever of second or third place because no one remembers those people and its pretty meaningless.  Playing to maximize a chance to be runner up and in the process giving up any chance to win is, in my opinion, a waste on this show. 

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman said:

And again it does back to philosophy, but I would play to win, don't care if I come in whichever of second or third place because no one remembers those people and its pretty meaningless.  Playing to maximize a chance to be runner up and in the process giving up any chance to win is, in my opinion, a waste on this show. 

I played to win, but when you're weak in a category, or think you might be, it's not always a winning strategy, and it's generally a good thing to know your weaknesses and play accordingly.  And it's not about being remembered; the difference between second & third is a $1000 in prize money, which may not matter to a lot of people, but I would rather have had $2000, not the $1000 I won by betting big on what was a weak category for me.

I was, however, commenting more on the original poster saying the bet was stupid, which was an unnecessary thing to say.  And that is my last word on the subject.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Mine was jokingly Lennon/Legend but then they were equally as easy! The category really pushed me off!

I called out Cooke and Smith but knew Jeopardy wouldn't go there. That would've been good for the high-valued clue. I thought the ones they had were way too easy.

I got home from vacation last night and found out my mother, who was house-sitting for me, had deleted all the Jeopardy episodes I had recorded. It's a good thing I decided to watch not-so-legally while I was away. Otherwise, I'd be seriously considering emancipating myself. Can you do that at 45 years old?

I liked Catherine and am sad to see her go. The new champ was fine too. I must be mellowing with age because most of the contestants don't bother me the way they used to. I wasn't a David fan because of the mugging, but most of them have been fine for me. 

As far as betting strategies, I try to guess what each contestant will wager, but I'm often wrong. For the wager in question, I would've bet $0. I do admit to being weak at math: I know enough to do my own taxes, tip properly, and not overdraw my checking account. I don't know enough to calculate all the various possibilities when deciding what I would wager on the show.

• Love 9