Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

First I’d like to say that I don’t even know what paw-paw(s) are. Fruit or berries? That ruined me from clearing the category. Drats. I got Word of mouth, auricle, and native son for the TS’s. Otherwise I did pretty well. I did have to turn down the tv more than usual. I also got a laugh when Randy guessed The Monkeys and looked so shocked that he’d gotten it right. 

Kate takes a first date to the cemetery? Uh ok. She’s right that it’s weird...quirky unless you’re visiting the ones in New Orleans (or Père Lachaise...oops almost forgot Alex would have a field day saying that. Surprised he didn’t ask if she’d ever been there). 

Yeah that was it for me with Kate.  First you are in a childrens/kids lit book club.  ANd you take a first date to a cemetery......garden.  That goes beyond quirky for me.  Just weird.  Which she admits, at least, but that makes it no less unappealing. 

Didn't get FJ.  I was stuck thinking about the Nile and the Sahara desert. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Even my dog was annoyed at Randy and gave him the white eye AND side eye. (And she's the easiest going soul ever.)

Given how much better canine hearing is compared to humans, Randy would have been absolute torture. He probably caused her physical discomfort and pain. I feel sorry for her. 

Closed captioning might be in order as long as Randy is still there both for our sake as well as hers. 

• Love 3

I didn't get FJ. I also didn't really understand it. The equator is not just in those two places in Africa. I guess it's my fault for assuming the points where the markers are were unique.

I liked the foreign translations of movie titles.

I've never heard of those Canadian twins, the sisters. Who are they?

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

To be fair, she said Mount Auburn Cemetery, which is gorgeous.

Wow, super cool place, even if it is a cemetery. Thanks for the link. That would be a much better first date than some I've had ... like to Burger King where he had a coupon. Interesting that Kate chooses the first-date place. I give her props for that. AND for bypassing the fast-food-joint dates. I'd join her book club and go to the cemetery with her. We could even trade clothes, I'm all about childish colors. But, it's not to be. Bye Kate, we hardly knew ye.

It's now 53F in Cambridge, Mass.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

I've never heard of those Canadian twins, the sisters. Who are they?

2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Tegan and Sara. I am not a diehard fan but I do enjoy many of their songs, and recognized them instantly!

The clue pertained to them singing the theme to the LEGO movie, "Everything is Awesome."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, Kate didn’t know the song “ The Lees of Old Virginia”. Heh, I do have a feeling most American history about the American Revolution, I know/remember is because of 1776 and Hamilton.

I sang out "Virginia" I love 1776.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

Wow, you called it!

Generally, I'm not bothered by a lot of contestant quirks/tics mentioned here but as soon as today's show started, I was like, "Oh no! Middle dude wrote his name quirky, doesn't have an inside voice, and is recklessly guessing. He is TOAST on the forums!"

Said the same thing to the mister.

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Kate takes a first date to the cemetery? Uh ok. She’s right that it’s weird...quirky unless you’re visiting the ones in New Orleans (or Père Lachaise...oops almost forgot Alex would have a field day saying that. Surprised he didn’t ask if she’d ever been there). 

I kind of like the idea of planning first dates with activities that would weed out the ones who'd never "get" you. Seems very efficient.

I always get Hootie and the Blowfish questions by remembering Monica on Friends - "that would be a Blowfish!"

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I always get Hootie and the Blowfish questions by remembering Monica on Friends - "that would be a Blowfish!"

Specifically ...

Rachel: Who gave you that hickey?
Monica: That would be the work of a Blowfish.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

I had to turn it off. What was with the screaming? I did see who won, so I'll pass tomorrow, too.

I had it on in an adjacent room, but was organizing my linen closet in the hallway, so I was only listening.  I quickly asked my cat, "What the hell is happening right now?" and went in to take a look.  I got a gander at the way the shouter had written his name, rolled my eyes, and went back to my project.  He didn't ruin the game for me, but he's ridiculous and I hope he's gone soon.  I hope whatever contestant coordinator let him on the show is gone soon, too.

"Africa" as a category ticked me off -- African what?  Would we get a category called "North America" or "Europe" instead?  No, it would be "North American Geography" or "European Geography."  It's like on TV shows when characters travel to a country in Europe, the country is specified, but characters visiting an African country are just said to be "going to Africa."

Speaking of African countries, I knew Uganda, but was not surprised that was a TS.  Word of mouth as a TS, however, did surprise me.  Henchman, too. 

• Love 6

Well, my hearing has finally recovered. I started my evening at a bar for an NBA playoff game where people were shouting (including me). I came home, poured a glass of wine, and turned on what I thought would be a relaxing game of Jeopardy. Then Randy came on screen. Wow. 

My gets were word of mouth, henchmen, aurical, and Maryland. I guessed center of Africa, which was not a great guess, but at least another contestant guessed it, so I don't feel so bad. 

I'll have the volume at 5 tomorrow for sure. 

• Love 6

Jesus, Randy tone it down. And quit with the guesses then the shocked! face when it's correct. It's not anywhere near as funny, cute, or charming as you think it is. I like Kate & will miss her & her cardigans, which is how I dress too. A/C is always too cold. I liked Alyssa & felt bad that Kate & Randy were too quick on the buzzer. But even with no time to complete her FJ answer she finished as high as she ever was since Randy got FJ correct & wagered enough to win. 

TS I got were Native Son, henchman, MD (guess). FJ was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush but my brain was on Alyssa's timetable. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks to comments here, I checked out Kate's clothes. LOVED her print dress with red cardigan. She was wearing what I would wear.

Me too. I think I have every cardigan sold by Target, Talbots, and even a few from Petite Sophisticate which hasn't been around for probably 10 years. 

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Cemetery lover from New Orleans here :-) 

4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Randy is extremely flamboyant. I joked to my husband that he is a "flaming straight man." He's the sort of guy who would coach the SHIT out of the high school theater department.

(I have no idea whether Randy is straight, gay, or bi, I just found him to be quite "extra" unrelated to any particular gender/sexuality expression...I don't want to offend anyone with my use of "flamboyant")

Extra is the perfect description of Randy. That & loud. 

• Love 10

BTW, I saw Taming at the Globe Theatre in London back in 2012, and it was fantastic!

I saw it in Colorado Springs (Shakespeare in the Park). What I loved was 2 actors played Kate...a guy (in drag <g>) in the first act and a woman in Act II. And it worked. Beautifully.

I was in the musical Kiss Me Kate ("I'm always true to you, darlin', in my fashion...") In retrospect, Taming was a tad chauvinistic. Ye olde hashtag: MeToo.

Jimmety Whiskers! (a 1912 ejaculation I just used in the book I'm writing). I turned the TV to mute and could still hear Randy.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Africa" as a category ticked me off -- African what?  Would we get a category called "North America" or "Europe" instead?  No, it would be "North American Geography" or "European Geography."  It's like on TV shows when characters travel to a country in Europe, the country is specified, but characters visiting an African country are just said to be "going to Africa."

Preach!

I had written a post about how RANDY! KEPT! YELLING! but it seems the site gremlins got it so I'll just co-sign everyone else who mentioned it. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and ordinarily I'd be missing my daily Jeopardy fix but not as long as Randy's around.

• Love 6

As soon as I saw how Randy wrote his name, I counted him out. Damn. Some of those guesses should have been wrong so he wouldn't have won. But if you mute/closed caption the show, how would you know when Alex is pronouncing something French?  <rolls eyes>

I was totally surprised that I ran the American history category.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, opus said:

Specifically ...

Rachel: Who gave you that hickey?
Monica: That would be the work of a Blowfish.

Thanks, I knew I could rely on someone to provide the exact quote!

5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I saw it in Colorado Springs (Shakespeare in the Park). What I loved was 2 actors played Kate...a guy (in drag <g>) in the first act and a woman in Act II. And it worked. Beautifully.

I was in the musical Kiss Me Kate ("I'm always true to you, darlin', in my fashion...") In retrospect, Taming was a tad chauvinistic. Ye olde hashtag: MeToo.

I saw the ACT (San Francisco) production on TV many years ago when I was taking the Shakespeare class. I loved the last moment in the show, where they had Kate turn her head to the audience, and wink.

• Love 2

That's the second time in a few weeks the Lees of Old Virginia have come up. Future contestants: listen to 1776.

Although...I couldn't think of the second Benjamin because I fixated on John Dickinson ("Fop!") and judge James Wilson as the other members of the Pennsylvania delegation.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

What has happened to all the normal people who used to be on this show?  I still resent the Austin Rogers effect, as I think he is partially responsible for this horrid change.  And for cripes sake, why didn't someone  in charge come out during the break  and tell him to tone down the screaming?  The fake surprise when he got it right, the ridiculous signature, the bouncing around...yikes!  If this hasn't been addressed before tomorrow's show, I guess I will go to closed captions also....

I'd like to go back to players with a pleasant, calm demeanor who answer clearly, speak normally, have a funny story (preferable about their dog, not how they met their spouse) for the chat and act graciously whether they win or lose.  Is that too much to ask?

All of this. 

All of it.

My first clue he was going to be annoying was the fact that once again we have a grown-arse man cartooning up his name.

Then HE STARTED TO TALK.

I wondered, too, why doesn't someone come out at break and tell him he's got a mic on, we can HEAR YOU.

I miss Jeopardy! of old.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

I miss Jeopardy! of old.

I grew up on Art Fleming. My how the show has changed over the decades. Yes, I’m that old! Grateful that so far my memory is good and I credit this show for a lot of that. Mental exercise. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I grew up on Art Fleming. My how the show has changed over the decades. Yes, I’m that old! Grateful that so far my memory is good and I credit this show for a lot of that. Mental exercise. 

I did, too.

Yes, it has - and so am I!

I credit this show and crossword puzzles ;)

• Love 4

Still on Doctors Without Borders -- imagine if RANDY! had said Médecins Sans Frontières in a perfect French accent (take that, Alex!), and then RANDY!'s buzzer had "mysteriously" malfunctioned ...

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

I credit this show and crossword puzzles ;)

Me too and Scrabble. I also like the game that has the dice with letters on them and you form crosswords out of them. A few people play at a time. It’s called Zip-It. My niece and I are so good at it that we have to play using only words that fit into a category, like birds or the beach. 

Be well. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

That's the second time in a few weeks the Lees of Old Virginia have come up. Future contestants: listen to 1776.

Although...I couldn't think of the second Benjamin because I fixated on John Dickinson ("Fop!") and judge James Wilson as the other members of the Pennsylvania delegation.

I could picture him, from 1776, of course. But couldn't come up with the name.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Me too. I always grumble with each new set change. But then when I watch old clips of the show I think "oh, it looks so much better now."

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I always grumble with each new set change.

When I was at a Jeopardy! taping many years ago and I was quite young, during the commercial break Trebek looked down and announced to the audience, "This carpet SUCKS." I was aghast since to my young ears, that word was the most foulest of swear words and I was highly offended. Now that I am able to watch daily, I see the carpet is long gone. But I still think Trebek sucks (most of the time anyway).

I had forgotten RANDY! will be back today until reading here. Thanks for reminding me (NOT!) you guys.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Still on Doctors Without Borders -- imagine if RANDY! had said Médecins Sans Frontières in a perfect French accent (take that, Alex!), and then RANDY!'s buzzer had "mysteriously" malfunctioned ...

That would have been golden.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and ordinarily I'd be missing my daily Jeopardy fix but not as long as Randy's around.

Safe travels, Urban, and catch up with the shows online when you come back so you are hep to all the snark here, and you can add your own. Take pictures!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, illini1959 said:

All of this. 

All of it.

My first clue he was going to be annoying was the fact that once again we have a grown-arse man cartooning up his name.

Then HE STARTED TO TALK.

I wondered, too, why doesn't someone come out at break and tell him he's got a mic on, we can HEAR YOU.

I miss Jeopardy! of old.

Randy has the personality for a show like Family Feud ("Good answer!  Good answer!") or Press Your Luck ("Come on, big money!  No whammies!"), but not Jeopardy.  

Paw paws brought back memories for me.  My 8th grade history teacher would bring them in to share with the class when her tree was producing the fruit.  She also always had a cupcake for our birthdays, we would recite the Serenity Prayer after saying the pledge, and she never failed to have a handful of colored markers in her apron to use for grading our papers with special notations and artwork.  She was a unique teacher, to say the least.

• Love 9

I knew Benjamin Rush from a Ken Burns doc about Lewis and Clark. Rush provided their expedition with these laxatives that they credited with keeping them healthy (who knows—all but one survived the entire trek and the one who died is believed to have had appendicitis). They called them Rush’s Thunderbolts. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and ordinarily I'd be missing my daily Jeopardy fix but not as long as Randy's around.

Don't worry. Wherever you go, you'll hear him.

Edited by opus
  • Love 14

I loved the last moment in the show, where they had Kate turn her head to the audience, and wink.

Oooh, perfect!

Don't worry. Wherever you go, you'll hear him.

ROFL. This is why I love this forum (I think I'll dedicate my next book to y'all).

• Love 7

Worst guess of the day? Saying Ella Fitzgerald when the answer is Fats Domino. Although at least that response didn't break my eardrums, Randy.

• Love 11

Randy was just extra extra today, wasn't he?  And extra loud, too.  It does not hurt my feelings in the slightest that he lost.  Especially with the FJ response of Saskatchewan. 

FJ was an instaget for me, so much so that I tried to overthink it, but really couldn't think of anything else it might have been.  I also got the TS of Hartford, Cenozoic, Dutch Uncle, Pride and Prejudice, and Fats Domino.  I was surprised they missed Dutch Uncle and Pride and Prejudice. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

How do you not get Dutch Uncle?  There were so many...what the?  minutes in this episode ....is this still the college tournament? 

I've never heard the phrase Dutch Uncle, so I was stumped by that one.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I've never heard the phrase Dutch Uncle, so I was stumped by that one.

According to the online Macmillan Dictionary, it's "someone who advises or criticizes a younger person in a severe way." It could be considered offensive to the Dutch, so it's not surprising if the phrase is unfamiliar. 

I didn't mind Randy that much yesterday, but he got to me today and I rooted for him to lose. I felt bad for Krishna for digging himself into such a deep hole after building that huge early lead. I don't predict a long run for Jan, but at least she's soft-spoken.

• Love 8

We are done with Randy. My eardrums hurt. He also went out of his way to exaggerate his answers. I’m very sorry that Krishna went on that downward spiral. I liked his soft spoken voice and he did run the category of spirit animals (drinks). I got Bullshot, Hartford, Argentina and Chile, Age of Innocence, War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice, and Fats Domino. I never did hear the answer (trying to lessen Randy’s impact) of who was on the currency in 1928 ($1,000 bill I think or was it $500?).  Glad tomorrow’s game has Jen and I agree with @opus that it was a very good story. 

Edited to add that FJ was an instaget. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I never did hear the answer (trying to lessen Randy’s impact) of who was on the currency in 1928 ($1,000 bill I think or was it $500?).

Non-consecutive Presidential order was the key. It was Cleveland for $`1,000.  He guessed Garfield. 

I needed the closed captioning to hear Krishna and to not have to hear Randy. 

6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

According to the online Macmillan Dictionary, it's "someone who advises or criticizes a younger person in a severe way." It could be considered offensive to the Dutch, so it's not surprising if the phrase is unfamiliar. 

Got most of the TS, expect Dutch Uncle so thanks for that as I never heard the term.  Guessed War and Peace from the use of tome in the clue. 

• Love 3

Would it be improper for me, as another (straight) woman to plant a giant kiss on Jen?  First for beating that hideous RANDY and second for her interview.  I could claim I'm French.  ?  I'm sorry Krishna flamed out.

I got bull shot, Hartford, uncle, and Fats Domino.

FJ was so easy I was sure it was a trick question but it wasn't.  I'm surprised Alex didn't slap that tool RANDY for answering Saskatchewan.

• Love 15

Can someone please  summarize Jen's story? I FF through the interviews because I suffer from secondhand embarrassment too easily to risk watching them.

• Love 8