Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Monday's bunch wasn't impressive but they sure didn't piddle around - they barked out the questions and answers like they were being timed - which they were of course but so many regular J! contestants poke around like they have all day.

I won't bother writing down my ts's either; I did notice that St. Paul was a ts last night and also last week - I write down my ts's on the outside of my sudokus and saw one from last week had St. Paul on it.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Monday's bunch wasn't impressive but they sure didn't piddle around - they barked out the questions and answers like they were being timed - which they were of course but so many regular J! contestants poke around like they have all day.

I won't bother writing down my ts's either; I did notice that St. Paul was a ts last night and also last week - I write down my ts's on the outside of my sudokus and saw one from last week had St. Paul on it.

Yes!  As soon as todays game started I remembered that.  I left the room and I can still hear whoever that middle guy is.  

Think I'll start DVRing and reading here first to see if I really want to watch!

• Love 2

Tonight's game was less bad than last night, but only because they kept the pace up and seemed to know more answers than they missed.  But at the same time, tonight's game was worse because they ALL STARTED WITH THE HIGHEST VALUE CLUES.  As we all know, that is my biggest Jeopardy! pet peeve -- not starting at the bloody tops of the bloody categories. 

Had to think about FJ for a second, but got it with enough time left to write it down. 

• Love 16

I knew the board jumping would get the goats of some PTV friends. Today's jumping around was worth an entire herd of goats.

Either that Oklahoma guy on the left was extra EXTRA tall, or his standing box got stuck on "high." He also was a weaver, which I'll forgive him for on account of he's NOT QUITE old enough to know better.

Trebek during the interview: "Good for you."

Me: "Drink!"

The AP Journalism category was right up my alley as an AP writer/editor.

I got Arizona and John Hughes but can't remember any others, including FJ. It's all gone from my memory bank.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The AP Journalism category was right up my alley as an AP writer/editor.

I'm a former sports writer (or a recovering one, depending on your perspective.) It's no wonder you and I get along so well on the boards. I ran that one too and was surprised the contestants seemed to be avoiding it. I assume they're all news readers since you have to be up on current events to do well on the show.

I did not keep track of my gets. I'm not being cocky, there are just too many in these tournaments, other than the Tournament of Champions, during which I spend most of time looking up answers I've never heard of!

I was impressed that Alex pronounced Prescott correctly. They're picky about that up there, although not nearly as picky as Louisville, KY, residents are about pronunciation of their beautiful city. I used to travel there on business quite a bit, and I started to pronounce it with two syllables, which seemed to keep me out of trouble.

Anyway, I thought it was a better game than Monday, but the starting at the bottom was making me a little stabby. I don't know if the other two took their cue from Thatcher, which is an unusual first name by the way, or if they would normally play that way too. We'll see a lot of it in this tournament, so I may as well get over it. Of the three, I liked Dhruv the best, but I thought it was funny he didn't get to ring in on the Brown clue.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Trebek during the interview: "Good for you."

OMG. I think that's the Trebekism that bugs me the most. It's like he's not really listening. "And then my mother died." "Good for you."

I got the TS of John Hughes. This before-their-time really made me feel old.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I ran that one too and was surprised the contestants seemed to be avoiding it.

Even most old (cough) people don't know what AP means, and combine that with "Journalism" and it's a foreign planet these days I guess.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I was impressed that Alex pronounced Prescott correctly. They're picky about that up there, although not nearly as picky as Louisville, KY, residents are about pronunciation of their beautiful city. I used to travel there on business quite a bit, and I started to pronounce it with two syllables, which seemed to keep me out of trouble.

I missed the Prescott pronunciation. I've been there but didn't have occasion to say the city name to anyone so was not aware. (Thanks for the warning tip though!) But I'm down with the Louisville speak having also been there many times for business as well as passing through on the way to Lexington horse country. My publisher used to irk the heck out of me by telling me I was going to "Looollvlle" like he had a mouth full of corn pone and grits. Gah.

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

OMG. I think that's the Trebekism that bugs me the most. It's like he's not really listening. "And then my mother died." "Good for you."

This made me nose-snort and LOL at the same time. Well done Peeaye!

39 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

OK, I've replayed it 5 times.  Dhruv clearly said "anomynous" source instead of "anonymous"!

Yeah, I heard that too.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

How did they not catch that?  And would it have made a difference in the outcome of the game??  

I think it's the difference between guaranteed as a semi-finalist or in as a wild card. If Dhruv was deemed incorrect and Thatcher responded correctly, he would have prevented the runaway presuming everything else played out the same. If Jordan got it, Thatcher would have ended with exactly half of Dhruv's total and could have forced a tie breaker. 

Given this is early in the tournament, it doesn't really matter with respect to whether they make it to the next level as Thatcher went big in FJ and a score of $21,599 is good enough for finishing in the top four for non-winners. I don't foresee four out of the next six non-winning contestants ending with more than Thatcher's. Jordan's $12,399 might be close, but an amount like that usually holds up.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t realize the tournament was filmed so recently! They had a clue about the Oscars which were on March 4!

It was supposed to be filmed in January but they moved it to give Alex more time to recuperate from his surgery.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Even most old (cough) people don't know what AP means, and combine that with "Journalism" and it's a foreign planet these days I guess.

Since it's a college tournament, my first thought was that it was Advanced Placement Journalism (like the class), not Associated Press Journalism (the organization).  The first clue in the category cleared that up for me though.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Since it's a college tournament, my first thought was that it was Advanced Placement Journalism (like the class), not Associated Press Journalism (the organization).  The first clue in the category cleared that up for me though.  

I had the same thought and also didn't realize it was Associated Press until the first clue. 

• Love 3

What is it with FJ and cabinet departments lately?  This is the second time in two weeks they have had that specific category for FJ. 

Who was the champion a few years back that was really good and would just breeze through his choices right after his answer, would barely wait for alex to say "correct"?  Dhruv could easily be his son.  He was very good.  Helped however that he found all 3 DJs

Was I the only one uncomfortable with him having a college shirt on that said "Brown" when he was clearly the.......well, you know, the "more tan" skin colored contestant?  And then to add to it they had the brown clue he didn't get?  I know, its his college, but still, uncomfortable all around. 

In addition to "good for you" from Alex, you can add in any time a contestant starts their interview portion with "soo........."  2/3 last night. 

OK, I've replayed it 5 times.  Dhruv clearly said "anomynous" source instead of "anonymous"!

How did they not catch that?  And would it have made a difference in the outcome of the game??  

Wheel of Fortune is actually pickier than Jeopardy in many ways.  The other night a contestant said "Flamen-go" instead of "Flamen-co" in reference to the dance, they counted it wrong.  He lost like $10K or something over it.  And he was truly upset about it.  But he did say it wrong.  Pat even said they went back during the break and reviewed his answer and he didn't say it correctly. 

The board jumping on a normal game annoys me but I can overlook it since some may think of it as some sort of strategy since they may not get to all the clues

Since I found out on the tournaments they finish all the clues, it really annoys me.  And last night all the contestants were doing it

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Was I the only one uncomfortable with him having a college shirt on that said "Brown" when he was clearly the.......well, you know, the "more tan" skin colored contestant?  And then to add to it they had the brown clue he didn't get?  I know, its his college, but still, uncomfortable all around.

Since he chose to go to Brown University, and they all wear school colors, nope, it didn't make me the least bit uncomfortable. I felt a little sorry for him that he didn't get the clue, he's in for a ribbing. If, on the other hand, this were a skit show - and they assigned the color to the person of color, then I would find it uncomfortable at a minimum.

I did have a discussion about how Brown's colors were unimaginative, and wouldn't it have been fun if they'd chosen a different color against expectations.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I had the same thought and also didn't realize it was Associated Press until the first clue. 

I guess I didn’t take the AP courses in school (I don’t think we even had them. What year did they generally start?) as my first thought was Associated Press. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I guess I didn’t take the AP courses in school (I don’t think we even had them. What year did they generally start?) as my first thought was Associated Press. 

I write/edit to AP Style and have regular debates about AP vs. Chicago Style with other editors/writers. I never thought it could be anything but Associated Press. I think only journalism students would take an AP course, not "regular" English majors. Now I'm wondering if the race horse AP Indy was owned by a newspaper.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I never even noticed so did not give it a thought, and am not uncomfortable now that it's been pointed out. I just don't see any reason to be. If the show assigned the shirts, then yeah, that could be a problem. But the kid was wearing the shirt of the school he chose to go to. Now if there only was a college named Dumb Ass University. I could assign that shirt to some people I know. And not be uncomfortable about that either.

However, I'm not one to notice race or care about it, and many times I'm sort of stunned when someone points it out.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Now I'm wondering if the race horse AP Indy was owned by a newspaper.

No, he was named for an auto race track in Japan:

The successful bid came from Tomonori Tsurumaki, who named the colt in honor of his recently-opened Nippon Autopolis, where Tsurumaki hoped to host a Formula One (Indy Car) event.

• Love 4

That "PRE-REC" category confused me at first.  Alex explained it "Each correct response will be a word that appears in the dictionary before REC."  I kept thinking "ANYWHERE before REC?"  I mean, any word that starts with A - Q would qualify.  They didn't make it clear if they would be RE words, or just R words, did they?

Edited by SHD
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

We had them at my high school, and I'm class of 1990. I don't remember Journalism being offered as an AP class, though. It's something I would've taken since I was on the school newspaper staff.

• Love 3

I think AP was just meant to be a play on Advanced Placement/Associated Press.  You know, to keep the academic theme going in the category titles.

57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I write/edit to AP Style and have regular debates about AP vs. Chicago Style with other editors/writers. I never thought it could be anything but Associated Press.

Chicagooooo!!!  That's what we use in the Big Six publishing industry.  I mostly like Chicago style, but I despise the Chicago Manual, which was clearly designed to be as unhelpful as possible and manages to weasel out of addressing any difficult questions.  Or maybe they just hate fiction, which of course is what I work on.

I never even noticed so did not give it a thought, and am not uncomfortable now that it's been pointed out. I just don't see any reason to be. If the show assigned the shirts, then yeah, that could be a problem. But the kid was wearing the shirt of the school he chose to go to. Now if there only was a college named Dumb Ass University. I could assign that shirt to some people I know. And not be uncomfortable about that either.

At least he wasn't wearing a Ball State shirt.

ETA:  Re the Pre-Rec answers.  They definitely did not explain it well, since it could be anything from A to Reb (unless I missed something in the explanation).  But the answers weren't all Re- words.  I remember "raptor" was one--there might have been another.  So kind of a fail in specificity.

Edited by Mondrianyone
one more thing
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Chicagooooo!!!  That's what we use in the Big Six publishing industry.

I recently did the design/layout for a book done in Chicago Style. I had to not read copy because I wanted to edit everything to AP.

31 minutes ago, SHD said:

That "PRE-REC" category confused me at first.  Alex explained it "Each correct response will be a word that appears in the dictionary before REC."  I kept thinking "ANYWHERE before REC?"  I mean, any word that starts with A - Q would qualify.  They didn't make it clear that they would be RE words, did they?

Yeah, I totally was clueless about that category. I could answer most of the clues but the name of that category gave me absolutely no help. (I just can recognize raptors.)

25 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

At least he wasn't wearing a Ball State shirt.

This totally went over my head. Big "Duh" to me.

Thanks, Moose, for the AP Indy info.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

ETA:  Re the Pre-Rec answers.  They definitely did not explain it well, since it could be anything from A to Reb (unless I missed something in the explanation).  But the answers weren't all Re- words.  I remember "raptor" was one--there might have been another.  So kind of a fail in specificity.

I thought that I heard Alex give an explanation about it falling in the dictionary between the Pre-Rec letters. Nothing specific or having to use those as prefixes. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought that I heard Alex give an explanation about it falling in the dictionary between the Pre-Rec letters. Nothing specific or having to use those as prefixes. 

I "checked the tape" - what I wrote was an exact quote of his explanation.  As Mondrianyone noted above, I was wrong in that they weren't even all RE responses because "raptor" was one.  But they were all "R" words, weren't they?

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, SHD said:

I "checked the tape" - what I wrote was an exact quote of his explanation.  As Mondrianyone noted above, I was wrong in that they weren't even all RE responses because "raptor" was one.  But they were all "R" words, weren't they?

I stand corrected. My memory (no not memorex, the tape) was wrong. Speaking of...I’m glad a lot of you do have these shows on DVR so that we can get things straight. I can’t be the only person whose memory gets a little iffy at times! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

LOL! You are obviously someone who pays attention and listens. Go figure! Or, to quote Trebek: "Good for you."

ETA: Well, I guess not. Okay then. Still, you pay more attention than I do, obviously, so there's that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Can these people not stand still?  And oy with the buzzer flailing, too!  Not to mention that the voices of two of them went into registers only dogs can hear during the interview segment.  Can y'all tell I wasn't a fan of this game? 

BTW, middle guy, it is not Daylight SavingS Time, it's Daylight Saving Time -- I was disappointed that he wasn't dinged for that. 

I went through all the shuttle names I could think of, and chose the correct one for FJ, though I'm not sure how or why.  I also got chords, Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, Memorial Day, and one of my favorite books, Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Alex said genre!  Drink!

• Love 11
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Wheel of Fortune is actually pickier than Jeopardy in many ways.  The other night a contestant said "Flamen-go" instead of "Flamen-co" in reference to the dance, they counted it wrong.  He lost like $10K or something over it.  And he was truly upset about it.  But he did say it wrong.  Pat even said they went back during the break and reviewed his answer and he didn't say it correctly. 

Then he got the next round, 'Phrase', which was "What just happened?"  Even Sajak was laughing at that.

I'm skipping the tournament this time. Too many people beginning their stories with "So..."

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

BTW, middle guy, it is not Daylight SavingS Time, it's Daylight Saving Time -- I was disappointed that he wasn't dinged for that. 

I went through all the shuttle names I could think of, and chose the correct one for FJ, though I'm not sure how or why.  I also got chords, Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, Memorial Day, and one of my favorite books, Island of the Blue Dolphins.

You are certainly right about the full form of DST, but the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary says "called also daylight saving,daylight savings, daylight savings time, daylight time." Adding the s does not change the meaning unlike the gangster vs. gangsta issue so that's my guess as to why it was deemed acceptable.  

Knew it was Challenger instantly and got the others except for Island of the Blue Dolphins.

1 minute ago, DrScottie said:

Adding the s does not change the meaning unlike the gangster vs. gangsta issue so that's my guess as to why it was deemed acceptable.

Just because it's acceptable, doesn't make it right.  Or me happy about it!  :)

• Love 10

It's a stupid concept anyway. Pick a time and stick with it. Changing the clocks messes up too many people's body rhythms. Not to mention the cats don't understand why they're getting fed either an hour earlier or an hour later than usual.  I remember "Lion Country Safari" in Florida where an elephant attacked the caretaker 'cause he was an hour late with the food.

• Love 16

All I heard on the radio, over and over, and on tv news, over and over, when the time changed last month was it's daylight SAVING time. Period. End of story. If I am to believe all those journalistic professionals that is.

Trebek during interview: "Good for you."

44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Alex said genre!  Drink!

Yes! I'll drink to that!

Only one president was a former actor so the flotus being an actress was pretty much of a no brainer. Although in this case, it was a not-in-brainer. It's not like Reagan was Before Their Time. Or was he?

News flash: Today I learned it's the CN Tower in Toronto, not the CNN Tower. Someone hand me the Dumb Ass University shirt.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember "Lion Country Safari" in Florida where an elephant attacked the caretaker 'cause he was an hour late with the food.

Don't hate me because I found this funny.

• Love 9

I apologize in advance for being an insensitive ass if that kid who won today has a terrible neurological disorder of some kind, but as my Mother used to yell at us, "Hold the hell still!  You act like you have St. Vitus dance!"

I knew everyone here would be thrilled when Alex got so say genre!

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Don't hate me because I found this funny.

Never could hate you Lady. You are just too dear and a fellow equestrian at that. 

Edited to add that my comment was probably diseased English but I only have a BS in Science. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Only one president was a former actor so the flotus being an actress was pretty much of a no brainer. Although in this case, it was a not-in-brainer. It's not like Reagan was Before Their Time. Or was he?

News flash: Today I learned it's the CN Tower in Toronto, not the CNN Tower. Someone hand me the Dumb Ass University shirt.

Would you believe I said "the wife of the president who was an actor" and couldn't pull the name "Reagan" out of my brain? I also failed to pull "Eleanor" out of my brain in time. That's what getting three hours of sleep does to me.

At least you have heard of the CN Tower! I sat next to someone on a plane once flying from Orlando to Toronto and she had never heard of the CN Tower before. She was in her 30s.

• Love 5

I got Nancy Reagan, HBO, clamp/champ, French and FJ Challenger. It was the sub that I knew the name of, which made the other two fall into place.

Tufts kid got burned on the first DD and then bet  cautiously after that. He could have won if he bet more for FJ, but I can understand betting conservatively and going for at least the wild card slot. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

For FJ,  I said “it can’t be Challenger”. So jokes on me! 

Now if you had said "What is it can't be Challenger?" you'd be golden.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

For FJ, I was trying to remember all the Shuttle names, which I couldn't do, but I settled on Enterprise. A second before the music ended, I thought, "No! It's Atlantis!" Not only was I surprised that I was wrong, but also that the answer was Challenger. 

TSs I got were Lucy Hayes, Nancy Reagan, and HBO.

• Love 4

I just watched the first three eps.  I was most impressed with Dhruv.  Seems like a really smart kid.

I ran the baseball save category and got a bunch of TSs (Average, 16-bit, and Esprit de Corps, to name a few).  I pre-called Rosencrantz & Guildenstern on a DD, too.  I love when that happens.

• Love 3

I haven't enjoyed these first games so I think I'm bowing out for the tournament. Wake me up when regular Jeopardy returns. I just can't enjoy all the TS that a presumably intelligent college student should get right. 

I'm pretty sure I have enjoyed the college tournaments in the past, so maybe I'm just cranky this week. 

• Love 9

Chicagooooo!!!  That's what we use in the Big Six publishing industry.  I mostly like Chicago style, but I despise the Chicago Manual, which was clearly designed to be as unhelpful as possible

THIS! As an author---and Senior Editor of a major publisher---I totally agree.

And now we come to "in·ter·jec·tion":

1]  an abrupt remark, made especially as an aside or interruption...

2]  an EXCLAMATION, especially as a part of speech, e.g., ah! or dear me!

Mr. Author, free-lance editor and author (of 20 Harlequins) and I were really happy they gave "exclamation" to the Girl Whose Voice Scared My Dog.

• Love 4