Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Many of the White House pets have written books, as (I think) has the official mouser house cat at 17 Downing St. to name a few. Definitely enough for a category. 

It's not the White House, but Vice President Pence's family has a rabbit named Marlon Bundo and Pence's wife and daughter wrote and illustrated a book about him. Given the VP's stances on gay rights and support of conversion therapy, John Oliver took the opportunity to have his team create their own version wherein Marlon Bundo is a rabbit who wants to get married to another male rabbit.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

It was a good thing she did though, because I think she missed it. Wasn't that the Catch-22 one? The clue might have been obscure but it had "catch" in it at least once as a hint, which gave it away for me. Maybe she's a children's librarian, or some other specialty, like law or medicine, so she doesn't know the more common authors. Also, she seemed pretty young so maybe it was "before her time."

I looked up the clue - "Catch as Catch Can" is a posthumous collection of stories by this real-life WWII bombardier.

Yes, although I don't really believe in "good thing since she missed it" - she didn't make the bet with the benefit of hindsight. It's like a member of an orchestra betting $400 on a classical music category, or a doctor on a medical category. There is always the possibility it will hit a blind spot, but have some confidence in your job description. And since the category was a broad "Male Authors", there was no reason to think that a children's librarian or whoever would be less likely to know it.

As for the clue itself, yes, the repetition of "catch" plus WWII plus bombardier were plenty of tease-outs to arrive at Catch-22. 

• Love 3

I'm glad Skyler didn't win -- she kind of had a smug smirk every time she had a right answer.  Not a great fan of Jeffrey, but better him than Skyler.  But I also said Hera for FJ.  I was hoping it would be more of a currency category and not a mythology one. 

We got at least one enthusiastic Good for you!  And I enjoyed the "Miscellaneous" category, although I thought the last clue should have been "sorry".

TS I got included Disney princesses, iridescent, Jackie Collins (what has she done to her face?), and O Pioneers!

• Love 8
(edited)

I liked all three contestants again today...but I'm glad Jeffrey won...he's humble, but not in a phony way and he's gracious to his competitors...and I don't see Harvey Weinstein at all ;-)

Edited by Kimmmmmm
Spelling
  • Love 10

I was screaming at FJ. The Euro.... Europa! The continent is named after her. Of course it helps that I remembered the moons of Jupiter (Zeus in Greek mythology). 

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

TS I got included Disney princesses, iridescent, Jackie Collins (what has she done to her face?), and O Pioneers!

I was shocked they missed Disney princesses. I didn't realize that she had guessed O Pioneer, but I had it right. As for Jackie Collins, she might have been battling breast cancer at the time of that photo but sadly she lost. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

As for Jackie Collins, she might have been battling breast cancer at the time of that photo but sadly she lost. 

Clearly I have not kept up with all the things -- I had no idea.  Chemo would explain a lot.  Now I feel like a schmuck for saying anything about her appearance.  But at least I knew who she was.

• Love 3

Congrats to Jeffrey.  He's growing on me and I don't see Weinstein either.  He does remind me of a character actor.  I can see him in my mind but can't think of his name.  This is going to bug me for hours.  Count me in on the Smug Smirking Skyler dislike.

I missed the first couple of minutes but I got Jackie Collins (they had a picture, for goodness sake!), omnibus, and O Pioneers!

FJ - Euro > Europa wasn't too difficult to figure out.  

• Love 13
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Jackie Collins (what has she done to her face?)

I'm guessing Jackie Collins had a lot of "work" done as she was in that circle of people. Sort of like so many movie stars who can't move their faces but think they look great. RIP Ms. Collins.

46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I enjoyed the "Miscellaneous" category, although I thought the last clue should have been "sorry".

"Sorry" is an answer in J6 today. Oh ... SPOILER!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

He does remind me of a character actor.  I can see him in my mind but can't think of his name.

Michael McKean! Best In Show, Waiting For Godot, Spinal Tap, For Your Consideration:

JeffreySchwarz.jpg.b3c06aea9c46284ca79d4b8b138eb8fa.jpgmckean.jpg.dd55de1854eaa930e8a870b4f5e997bf.jpg

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It's not the White House, but Vice President Pence's family has a rabbit named Marlon Bundo and Pence's wife and daughter wrote and illustrated a book about him. Given the VP's stances on gay rights and support of conversion therapy, John Oliver took the opportunity to have his team create their own version wherein Marlon Bundo is a rabbit who wants to get married to another male rabbit.  

I ordered the John Oliver book within an hour of the announcement of it on his show. It is an adorable book and proceeds go to charity. Win win!

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Close @saber5055, but that's not who I'm thinking of.  Michael McKean is also brilliant in Better Call Saul.

He always reminds me of George Kennedy, stature-wise but also vocally a bit.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was thinking of this guy, John Doman.

A new actor for me, even though I have watched/own all seasons of The Wire and Oz. Never have seen Gotham though. Thanks for making me aware of him!

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I see that.  I loved him in The Wire.

I was also seeing this guy, John Getz.  Apparently he's in Scandal, but I know him from Bosch.

latest?cb=20130429023442

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

235px-Doman.jpg

Carmine Falcone! (Gotham). But I don't really see Jeffrey.

• Love 2

OK, Jeffrey's closer to Michael McKean than Harvey Weinstein. It's funny how much he looks like these guys. He's a very typical "New York" looking guy. Even Alex thought he looked like he should be a private investigator. He has a classic gumshoe look. I liked Skyler, but Jeffrey is growing on me.

I'm going to have to turn in my classics credentials. I also said Hera for FJ. In retrospect, Europa should have been obvious. Oh well.

• Love 6
(edited)

I liked Skyler. I don’t know what you guys mean by “smug,” she just seemed happy and pleasant. 

It’s nice when the contestants actually have a personality and don’t play as if they’re robotic drones.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 5

I too am glad Smarty pants Skyler didn't win. Yay Jeffrey!

My TS were Jackie Collins (surprised no one knew her) and Love & Rockets (one of my fave bands). FJ I had no clue Europa was a goddess who had some of Zeus' kids (#myjeopardyeducation) so I wild guessed Hera even though I figured it was wrong.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I liked Skyler. I don’t know what you guys mean by “smug,” she just seemed happy and pleasant. 

It’s nice when the contestants actually have a personality and don’t play as if they’re robotic drones.

Maybe she just has Smiling Smug Face (though I didn't see it),  just as I have Resting B*tch Face.  I thought she was very pretty and wanted her to win.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4

I didn't get smug from Skylar, but she did have a smirk that could make her seem that way. My sister-in-law has the same smirk & she is not at all smug, so maybe I was giving Skylar the benefit of the doubt. Resting Smug Face, it is. 

TS I got were Disney princesses, Jackie Collins, Oh Pioneers, Rockets. I said fluted instead of fluting (Skylar's missed DD), so I wonder if I would have been given credit. I was pleasantly surprised that the judges followed the wording of the iridescence clue, & did not go back & reward MaryAnn or Skylar for their wrong answers. 

No clue for FJ, but it was so obvious when the correct answer was revealed. 

• Love 7

I've known of John Getz ever since he was Neil, the Architect, on Another World.  Yes, I'm THAT old.  I don't see McKean in the current champ, but, yeah, Segal would work.

Europa wasn't a goddess - just another one in a long line of Zeus-Human Woman liaisons. (If I recall my Greek mythology.)  It's one of the few TS I actually got.

• Love 3
(edited)

Geez, I don't know why you guys didn't get Europa given we were shown her picture. I mean, we got Jackie Collins, boa, fox, daffodil ... wasn't the pic of Europa a dead giveaway?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I missed most of the game because stupid, useless (but expensive) satellite dish can't work in bad weather.  I got only the bit until first commercial and last few clues in DJ.  But I managed to get two ts's, omnibus and Oh Pioneers.

I said Hera for FJ; head smack when the answer was revealed.

I liked what I saw of Skyler, she seemed confident and like she was having a good time.  Also liked her hair-do.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Geez, I don't know why you guys didn't get Europa given we were shown her picture. I mean, we got Jackie Collins, boa, fox, daffodil ... wasn't the pic of Europa a dead giveaway?

Not to me. At first glance I thought it was David’s head (Michelangelo's) but I knew that wouldn’t have been correct. Then I read the clue slowly and Europa dawned on me. In enough time to write it down. 

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Not to me. At first glance I thought it was David’s head (Michelangelo's) but I knew that wouldn’t have been correct.

LOL! It did look like David's head now that you say that. Three snaps up for you for answering correctly.

The veterinarian lady who is going to sail the world lives about 1-1/2 hours from me. Not that that means anything to anyone. Even me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! It did look like David's head now that you say that. Three snaps up for you for answering correctly.

The veterinarian lady who is going to sail the world lives about 1-1/2 hours from me. Not that that means anything to anyone. Even me.

It means something to me. I root extra hard if a contestant is from where I live, or even a place I used to live. I assume most of us do the same, although I wonder if boardies from large cities well-represented on Jeopardy feel the same.

I also root hard for contestants in my profession, teaching.

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, teebax said:

It means something to me. I root extra hard if a contestant is from where I live, or even a place I used to live. I assume most of us do the same, although I wonder if boardies from large cities well-represented on Jeopardy feel the same.

Ditto. 

I was rooting for the teacher -- Claire Bishop -from Lexington, KY (where i used to live) during the tournament.  I was rooting for Virginia from this past week because she is a geriatrician.  I work in aging research, so obviously, I work with a lot of people in the geriatrics population and the geriatric/gerontology profession.  

On the season-long competition shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, The Apprentice, MasterChef), I tend root for those who are from where I live or used to live, those who work in medicine, fitness/PT, or nutrition, or those who served in the Armed Services (until those players show their true colors and end up being snakes or rats, which happens sometimes on those shows).  If it's a celebrity version, I tend to cheer for them based on the charities for which they are playing.  Suicide prevention tops the list.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Michael McKean! Best In Show, Waiting For Godot, Spinal Tap, For Your Consideration:

And his very best thing: Better Call Saul. He was amazing. 

Because "Euro" was in the clue, I thought "Europa" couldn't possibly be right but it was all I could come up with

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Because "Euro" was in the clue, I thought "Europa" couldn't possibly be right but it was all I could come up with

That's what I thought, too.  But then I remembered that they show pictures of poppies when the answer is "poppy."  So I went with Europa.  Never underestimate the writers' penchant for stating the obvious.

Michael McKean also hosts Food: Fact or Fiction on the Cooking Channel.  He's adorable in that context as well.  And I learn all sorts of fascinating things that I then immediately forget.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, teebax said:

I do the same. I also root for contestants with my name (although I did have to break my rule for dancing drumsticks Jennifer) or a family member's name. I usually root for military servicemen/women, teachers, and contestants with alliterative names. 

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Michael McKean also hosts Food: Fact or Fiction on the Cooking Channel.  He's adorable in that context as well.  And I learn all sorts of fascinating things that I then immediately forget.

I will have to look for that. Sounds interesting. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, teebax said:

I root harder for someone from my whole country! I love it when there's a Canadian contestant.

3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

That occurred to me, too, but the word "fittingly" in the clue made me stick with it. I didn't actually know who Europa was, just that she got a moon named after her.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Fex said:

I root harder for someone from my whole country! I love it when there's a Canadian contestant.

Me too, unless they do something really awful:)

• Love 3
(edited)

after rewatching the game I think I was just having a bad day yesterday cause Skyler did'n come off smug at all and just seem happy to be there. 

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Jeffrey.  He's growing on me and I don't see Weinstein either.  He does remind me of a character actor.  I can see him in my mind but can't think of his name.  This is going to bug me for hours.  Count me in on the Smug Smirking Skyler dislike.

I missed the first couple of minutes but I got Jackie Collins (they had a picture, for goodness sake!), omnibus, and O Pioneers!

FJ - Euro > Europa wasn't too difficult to figure out.  

I though FJ was misleading. The clue said some of Zeus's children and I thought Europa only gave birth to IO.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought Europa only gave birth to IO

Not the mother of Io. According to wikipedia: After arriving in Crete, Europa had three sons fathered by Zeus: Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Sarpedon, the three of whom became the three judges of the Underworld when they died.

I'm copying a link to the wikipedia page for Europa, since there's a genealogy chart for Zeus & various lovers/offspring that I can't link to/copy directly, in case anyone is interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(mythology)

• Love 3

I was dreading the 1990s Novels category, but somehow managed to know all three and ended up mad that they didn't get to the last two clues.

My only TS was Love & Rockets.

Guessed Hera for FJ figuring it was probably wrong.  I was right on being wrong.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, opus said:

Well, at least we know who Jeffrey looks like now.

Brad Pitt?  I don't see that, or Will Ferrell, either. 

I am sad they didn't finish the turtles category.  I liked the clues we did get to see! 

I kind of wanted the drinking game guy to win -- he could come play with us, although our rules are a bit different. 

FJ was not an instaget, though I did get it in time to write it down.  The first president I thought of from California was Reagan, but I have no idea if he was born there, and really have no idea where he died.  The only other one I could think of was Nixon, and I picked him (that's the first time I picked him for anything!) in the end.

The only TS I got that I wrote down was Hong Kong.

• Love 8

Once again I suspect the producers read this website!  Thought of you all when Alex started his "You look familiar...".

For some reason, Nixon popped into my head instantly for FJ, and I was sure it was wrong.  Darn near fell over when it turned out to be the answer.

• Love 7
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The first president I thought of from California was Reagan, but I have no idea if he was born there, and really have no idea where he died. 

Reagan was born in Tampico, Illinois, a very small town about 40 minutes from where I live. He died in California. The CEO where I worked at the time took off to attend. Sometimes one can't help but know some things.

I guessed Eisenhower. Texas/DC.

Tunia has a new look! Nice.

51 minutes ago, opus said:

Well, at least we know who Jeffrey looks like now.

I did a LOL at Trebek talking about this. Turns out we were all wrong.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11