Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thanks to watching Death Valley Days, I knew the Jack London oyster pirate story.  Starz Westerns channel usually show two episodes every weekday.  I love them, especially the earlier ones with the Old Ranger, and sometimes learn from them too.

I want to visit Harpers Ferry while we're still living in the east.  

• Love 5

Jack London didn't really want to be a writer, but it was a way to pay the bills to do all the other stuff he'd rather do. Jack London State Historic Park is a lovely little park, and I'm so very glad it was spared from the wildfires that hit the area in October.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was surprised when Alex said someone was about to make a lot of money today, but no one got it. I supposed he presumed they'd know it along with the large amounts in play. I didn't either. I guessed Tolstoy too. 

A letter naming him to the most serene order of cuckolds. So, he got a letter saying that someone is banging his wife? If that were to happen today, he would have probably found out on Twitter. Letters are a lost art form. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 9

Raise your hand if you were shocked and stunned that Alex didn't do a Borat impression reading of the "Very nice" hint in the clue about Kazakhstan.

I thought the first round of questions was SUPER easy. A picture of a bookend? Really?

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, SHD said:

Raise your hand if you were shocked and stunned that Alex didn't do a Borat impression reading of the "Very nice" hint in the clue about Kazakhstan.

I never saw Borat, so "Very nice" went completely over my head, but I figured out FJ. The dates were too early for Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, and I knew that Pushkin had been killed in a duel. I figured his death probably had something to do with being called a cuckold.

I also got Rene(e), Who Do You Think You Are?, and Salvador Dali. 

Good game! When Hermine ran that first category, I thought she would be more of a powerhouse, but everybody played well--no really Goofy Guesses and categories played mostly in order.

• Love 7

The music category that Hermine ran was so easy, I answered all the clues while I was doing chores in another room. And I'm not even a music person.

A whole category on Illinois! That ROCKS! I bet every dime I own, and then some. I killed it and got every (easy) answer, including Enrico Fermi. (Fermilab is in the west suburbs.) Laughed that Josh answered that with an accent, one upping Trebek, who got to do no accents today. DRINK!

I also got a kick out of Trebek's hesitation when Josh answered "Willis Tower" for the tallest building in Chicago. Alex, it hasn't been the Sears Tower since 2009. Get with it.

Josh raps! So totally awesome ... I mean for some guy I don't like. <wink>

Josh's $5 DD of Dali was a no brainer for me. I hate Dali's nasty mustache. But glad Josh didn't bet more. I mean: Too bad he didn't bet more.

The TS of the painting of The Sower also was a no brainer. I guess none of those players have a garden. I earned $2,000 on that TS.

Josh is now a five-day champ. Nuts, that means we'll see his waving tiger claws in the TofC. Barf on that. <sly smile and a wink>

And ... another FJ I am unable to answer. I'm a Winklevoss Loser indeed.

• Love 11
(edited)

Until tonight, I never really thought about the origin of the name Rene(e), but it makes perfect sense.

I never saw Borat, either -- can't stand Sasha Baron Cohen (who was wildly miscast in Sweeney Todd, too, BTW). 

And yes, Alex, you are indeed a fossil, even if you might not have one named after you.

I missed FJ, but I did get Salvador Dali, and The Sower.

ETA: I did say Sears Tower -- because I can never remember what it's called now, even though it has been since 2009!  Old habits die hard!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

ETA: I did say Sears Tower -- because I can never remember what it's called now, even though it has been since 2009!  Old habits die hard!

Don't feel bad. Many people still call it that, especially those who were irritated that a London insurance broker bought the naming rights. <raises hand>

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wow did Alex just say niche (rhymes with with witch) and not 'neesh'?

I laughed out loud. Seriously though - was genuinely surprised by this. He passed up an opportunity for French, and with a word that *most* people will pronounce similar to French.

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Don't feel bad. Many people still call it that, especially those who were irritated that a London insurance broker bought the naming rights. <raises hand>

I know the feeling. I am still irritated that the SkyDome is now the Rogers Centre, and that was changed in 2005.

• Love 5

No BMS for "Smith"..... 

Okay... 

Good job, Josh. I enjoy watching him play and liked his interview today. I thought all three contestants were solid. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And ... another FJ I am unable to answer. I'm a Winklevoss Loser indeed.

Once more I join you in Winkelvossness. I knew Tolstoy made it into the 20th, wasn't sure about the rest. I went with Turgenev because he was the only one (other than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky) I could remember. Puskin never crossed my mind - because he never does even though it's always f**king Pushkin! Next time, if I can remember, I'll say it, and then it will be someone else.

41 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I wonder how much Hermine hates Harry Potter.

I didn't hear the introductions, so I confused her name with Hermione in HP. It wasn't until the story section that I heard her name, smacked my head - because it was my godmother's name. Sheesh. Though to be fair (to myself), we generally called her Mina.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I also got a kick out of Trebek's hesitation when Josh answered "Willis Tower" for the tallest building in Chicago. Alex, it hasn't been the Sears Tower since 2009. Get with it.

I need to get with it, too. So it's called Willis Tower now? Good to know.

I only got the DD of Dali. Come on, Josh. No brainer!

I guessed Tolsoy for FJ. I had a feeling it was wrong, but that was all I had.

I really need to learn the difference betw Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I think I've said that a few times here. When will I learn?!?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, but the clue said "this building" was the world's tallest from 1974-1998.  It was the Sears Tower when it was the world's tallest.

• Love 13

In the movie Charly (1968) a tour guide said that the Prudential tower in Boston was the tallest building in the continental United States.  Someone asked about the Empire State Building.  The tour guide said dismissively, "Manhattan is an island."  IIRC, this was before the tall buildings in Chicago were built, so the tour guide was actually correct.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SHD said:

I thought the first round of questions was SUPER easy. A picture of a bookend? Really?

Maybe it was the lack of impression, but Mr. Pallida completely missed the Borat reference and very confidently said "ITALY!!!!" (Thinking Nice is in Italy... He's not the trivia person in this household...) 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

A whole category on Illinois! That ROCKS! I bet every dime I own, and then some. I killed it and got every (easy) answer, including Enrico Fermi. (Fermilab is in the west suburbs.) Laughed that Josh answered that with an accent, one upping Trebek, who got to do no accents today. DRINK!

Hate to burst your bubble, but he got to say some accented words in at least one clue.

• Love 1

Born and raised in Joliet, IL, so the Illinois category delighted me completely! When I was about seven, my family took our summer vacation just traveling around the state for about ten days. We even stopped ar Nauvoo (where we saw the Delta Queen paddle boat on the Mississippi, a rare sight in 1973), so I knew it was Joseph Smith and not Brigham Young. (We also headed into Missouri for a day in Hannibal—highly recommended for the Twain goodness!)

Completely whiffed FJ. I knew it wasn’t Tolstoy, since he served in the Crimean War as a young man, but blanked on another Russian writer of that time.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was on vacation when Josh became champ so I'm just now "meeting" him - and I like him a lot. Go Josh!

As someone else posted I too was thrilled to see an entire Jeff Bridges category. He's my long time Imaginary Hollywood Husband so I of course had to tweet him about it. This may be my final post on these boards because if he responds in any way I will surely die.

Today for TS I got Rene, Who Do You Think You Are and The Sower, and the missed Dali DD. I felt like Josh faked not knowing that so Alex wouldn't chastise him for betting only $5.

I'm 0 for 2 on FJ so far this week. I knew Dostoyevsky was incorrect but couldn't get him out of my head.

I did say Sears Tower -- because I can never remember what it's called now, even though it has been since 2009!  Old habits die hard!

They sure do. I still say Shea stadium and the Pan Am building and have no intention of changing!

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 9

So glad to see Josh's smiling face back again

Was he smiling? <wink> Oh darn, now he's made the TOC <wink-wink>

When I read this, I thought "What did oysters have to do with Peter Pan?" Thanks to Mystery Author for the clarification!

LOL. You're very welcome.

btw, Never smile at a crocodile.

• Love 3

I was another non-updated person who said Sears Tower. I only did so-so but got Who Do You Think You Are, and Dali. I also got crocodile (and oysters) the other night but seem to be missing the connection that Mystery Author has explained to everyone. I knew crocodile because I’ve been to Barrie’s birthplace in Kerriemuir Scotland and they have a huge hedge (that you can walk through) of a crocodile in the back yard. The town also has a statue of Peter Pan. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Driad said:

In the movie Charly (1968) a tour guide said that the Prudential tower in Boston was the tallest building in the continental United States.  Someone asked about the Empire State Building.  The tour guide said dismissively, "Manhattan is an island."  IIRC, this was before the tall buildings in Chicago were built, so the tour guide was actually correct.

Details, details. LOL

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was another non-updated person who said Sears Tower. I only did so-so but got Who Do You Think You Are, and Dali. I also got crocodile (and oysters) the other night but seem to be missing the connection that Mystery Author has explained to everyone. I knew crocodile because I’ve been to Barrie’s birthplace in Kerriemuir Scotland and they have a huge hedge (that you can walk through) of a crocodile in the back yard. The town also has a statue of Peter Pan. 

I knew the name had been changed, but Willis (Willits?) means nothing to me. Sears, on the other hand, is part of our culture.

• Love 6

Pushkin!!! I can't believe I got that. When Alex said the answer, I threw my arms up and shouted PUSHKIN!!! It disturbed the dogs. I had drawn a total blank on early Russian writers. Almost everyone is too late.  And then Pushkin appeared in my mind. I have no idea where that piece of knowledge came from.  I had to look up what he even wrote. Boris Gudenov! Eugine Onegin! It's been a hundred years since I read either of those. The human brain is a truly amazing thing.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

FYI, two of the categories last night were a tribute to Michelle McNamara and Patton Oswalt

That made me cry.

10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, but the clue said "this building" was the world's tallest from 1974-1998.  It was the Sears Tower when it was the world's tallest.

If you want to get picky about it, it's still the same height today as it was in 1974. So "this building WAS" refers to the Willis Tower, which WAS the tallest until 1998. Its name THEN was Sears Tower, which many still call it today. It is known by both names. Which is why Josh's answer of Willis Tower and Trebek's follow up of Sears Tower ARE BOTH CORRECT. I was tickled Josh answered "Willis Tower" so quickly since many don't know the name was changed. The guy is really up on his facts. My comment was about Trebek's hesitation before the judges confirmed that Willis Tower was ALSO a correct answer, not that it was a wrong answer.

Willis is a London-based insurance provider that bought the naming rights (for a lot of money) in 2009. I'm guessing most Americans think "Whatcho doin' Willis" instead of insurance when they hear the name though.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I had to look up what he even wrote. Boris Gudenov! Eugine Onegin! It's been a hundred years since I read either of those. The human brain is a truly amazing thing.

Oddly, I saw the opera Eugene Onegin by Tchaikovsky. I liked it. He based it on the works of Pushkin. I recognized the title from your answer and looked it up. I didn’t get that answer correct. Dum dum me. 

Learning everyday reading this thread. 

• Love 3

I guessed Nabokov for FJ.  After I googled Pushkin, I realized I was kind of close.  As for the other part of the question (the "Order of..."), I guess I just always thought it was a slang word from more recent times.  I'm not googling that though.  I'm sure I'll get a mess of wrong sites.  Was that the origin of the word or something?  

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I'm not googling that though.  I'm sure I'll get a mess of wrong sites.  Was that the origin of the word or something?

I looked it up for you. This is all copy/paste: "A cuckold is the husband of an adulterous wife. In evolutionary biology, the term is also applied to males who are unwittingly investing parental effort in offspring that are not genetically their own."

So I guess if the cheating wife gets pregnant by her lover, her husband thinks the resulting child is his own and raises it as such.

Word origin: "late Old English, from Old French cucuault, from cucu ‘cuckoo’ (from the cuckoo's habit of laying its egg in another bird's nest). The equivalent words in French and other languages applied to both the bird and the adulterer; cuckold has never been applied to the bird in English."

• Love 6

I just looked it up, too, but Saber pipped me to the post. (A great old phrase that should be brought back to use when people post responses quicker to you. LOL) Pushkin was strictly a lucky guess for me. I wouldn't say I actually knew it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Though perhaps not for much longer. 

Sadly.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Willis is a London-based insurance provider that bought the naming rights (for a lot of money) in 2009. I'm guessing most Americans think "Whatcho doin' Willis" instead of insurance when they hear the name though.

Thanks for giving me something to remember it. ?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

but Saber pipped me to the post. (A great old phrase that should be brought back to use when people post responses quicker to you. LOL)

I do use that phrase on these boards sometimes.  Last time I actually heard it used was on an ancient episode of Are You Being Served?

For ts's I got Who do You Think You are and What Would you Do, a couple more but I forget what they were.

Did not get FJ.  I've heard of Pushkin but always think he was an early communist leader.

• Love 3

Oh no!  Josh wins again!  *wink, wink*

We got a "good for you" from Alex about Andrew's story.  DRINK !

16 hours ago, SHD said:

Same here.  

I got Salvador Dali (DD) and propegate.

I guessed Tolstoy for FJ, too.

There are lots of buildings and places here that have new names that I refuse to use.  Get off my lawn!

• Love 9
11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was on vacation when Josh became champ so I'm just now "meeting" him - and I like him a lot. Go Josh!

You take that back!!

Nobody here likes him. <wink>

He needs to lose, asap.  <wink, wink>

Stupid tiger claw, waving Josh.  <wink, wink, wink>

Unless you're using reverse psychology.  <confused>

Anyway........

I said Tolstoy last night.  With zero confidence, I might add.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh no!  Josh wins again!  *wink, wink*

We got a "good for you" from Alex about Andrew's story.  DRINK !

Same here.  

I got Salvador Dali (DD) and propegate.

I guessed Tolstoy for FJ, too.

There are lots of buildings and places here that have new names that I refuse to use.  Get off my lawn!

I picture the day when the kids who are toddlers now will get upset when 3Com Park is renamed to SpaceX Stadium, or whatever the next big thing is.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I picture the day when the kids who are toddlers now will get upset when 3Com Park is renamed to SpaceX Stadium, or whatever the next big thing is.

Even our local sports/concert arena is on its third or fourth name, and it's not that old. I don't have a clue what it is now. That could be a good Jeopardy category, "Original Names." Like the White Sox used to play in Comiskey Park; now they play in US Cellular Field. The panache is just not there anymore. And I'm not sure White Sox fans all flocked to buying US Cellular because of the name of the ballpark. They'll just have to change carriers when the name changes again.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Oh dear Alex, "Dali", "Millet,""nuit"?  All time record for mispronounciations?

He pronounced Dali correctly. If anyone ever has the opportunity to go to the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL take it. It's pretty cool.

I got that and said Sears Tower. For FJ, I had no idea so I guessed Chekhov based on nothing. I just looked him up to see how wrong I was and it's possible that he was cuckholded but he definitely cuckholded someone else. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

If anyone ever has the opportunity to go to the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL take it. It's pretty cool.

It sure is. I was gobsmacked that the Hallucinogenic Toreador was over 10’ tall.  Also like the Ringling Museum of Art in nearby Sarasota. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

I would not have credited "The Clan" response.  It is not Wu Tang The Clan.  I know 'the' is usually optional, but in this case, including 'the' makes the response wrong. 

Agree 100 percent with this. The judging these days ... they are so strict about adding an extra letter or syllable, yet adding a word is okay. Go figure.

13 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Article about Josh, do not believe it has shown up here previously.  It explains the tiger claw. 

Wow, he's a furry. But that does explain his most excellent rap skillz.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Article about Josh, do not believe it has shown up here previously.  It explains the tiger claw. 

Bucktown Tiger returns to 'Jeopardy' to defend 3-day winning streak

Did Josh already tell us that in addition to being a network engineer he was a musician who dressed like a tiger? I seem to remember him saying something about that. I guess I never made the connection with him being an actual "furry." I'm not sure I wanted to know that. I guess everyone is entitled to a hobby. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7
(edited)

This furry reveal is hysterical. Will Trebek ask him about it today? Inquiring minds want to know. Although I guess me thinking his "tiger claws" was him miming playing the piano. So I sorta kinda got the connection. You rock, Josh!

I mean, boo hiss Josh. <wink>

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4