Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

And every other foreign word that gets thrown at him.  He really went to town on "bocce" in the interview segment last night.  Even the ancient Italian guys I used to watch playing in Little Italy didn't give it that much old-country spin.  (The word, that is, not the ball.)

I noticed that too, Mondianyone. I was waiting for the contestant to pronounce it "in a regular way,"  but he never did. But yeah, Trebek really took "bocce" to task for being a foreign word. He knows how to punish language, that's for sure.

• Love 4

I missed Aaron Burr, but then again, history is second on my "I am an idiot in this category" with geography being first.  I said "Easter Parade" instead of Macy's Thanksgiving.  At least I was in the right season.  I do not remember the Got Milk? commercial.  And I loathe and despise "A Wrinkle in Time."  There.  I said it.  I'm tired of Rob so will await news here that he is gone.  The only he does that bugs me is starting in with the $600 clues, but that's enough. 

• Love 3

I got to see Jerry Orbach in the original production of Chicago - still one of my top ten theater memories. 

I saw him on Broadway in Carnival, one of my top ten theatre memories (another was Streisand in Funny Girl). I think Carnival was Jerry's Broadway debut, but I saw him off-Broadway in The Fantastics (he was fantastic as El Gallo).

Which brings back personal memories of The Fantasticks. I played The Girl almost a whole summer in a dinner theatre venue.

For years I hated "Soon It's Gonna Rain." I love the song now and oft sing it in the shower.

Especially it there's a drought.

Someday I'll tell y'all about The Sound of Music :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Yay Seinfeld! The only reason I knew about Papaya King!

That's why I knew it! I couldn't put my finger on it.

I knew when there was a video category that'd be Rob's first pick. I have no idea why he likes those video categories so much, but he's on the show and I'm watching from home, so what do I know?

My gets were the Aaron Burr DD, Oliver Wendell Holmes, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Gandhi, Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, ebook, and FJ in an instaget. I liked the Common Bonds and TV Show quitters categories a lot. I like when they come up with categories I haven't seen and they ended up being fun. I still miss "Those Darn Etruscans" though.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well not because of Oprah, but I think you are right, in a way........

Those type of categories I would bet they have to finish, since they do seem to be paid ads.  Does anyone know if a category like that has ever been left unfinished?

From here on out players should just leave those to the end

I think that's been asked here before (maybe it was you?), but I couldn't resist an "all powerful Oprah" joke.....

>chaos in the control room, with an unchosen Oprah video clue hanging in the upper right corner <

Associate producer: We're out of game time.

Panicked producer: I have a family and career to think of! RUN LONG! RUN LONG!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

As soon as the They Quit the TV Show category was announced, I said, "David Caruso." 

Actually, we figured Shelley Long and Mandy Patemkin (I know wrong spelling) twice

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

As soon as the They Quit the TV Show category was announced, I said, "David Caruso." 

Actually, we figured Shelley Long and Mandy Patemkin (I know wrong spelling) twice

I thought of McLean Stevenson.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Alex's "Easy come, easy go" comment, along with some other snarky, off-the-cuff remarks and saying a curt "Nope!" when a contestant says the wrong answer instead of the more polite "No" lead me to wonder about his recent surgery.  These are still episodes filmed prior to his surgery, correct?  Symptoms of a brain clot can include personality changes, confusion, and other non-physical manifestations that can occur days or weeks before a diagnosis is made or more acute symptoms are present.

I just recently started watching the show again a few months ago (thanks to the benefit of having a DVR to record while I'm at work).  I seem to recall a much more polite, civil, positive Alex Trebek in previous years.  Could these subtle changes be the result of his brain clot or is he just being a bit of a jerk lately?

Alex is fine. Seriously. When you've lived his life and walked a mile in his shoes then feel free to criticize the man. Otherwise it's just internet noise.

23 minutes ago, whinewithwine said:

Finally, my favorite category, and Alex gives the OK to "When I Saw Her Standing There".  Don't mess with my Beatles, y'all.

After (correctly) ruling against "Hey Brother Can You Spare a Dime" yesterday!!!! There's no "when" in the title, it's a wrong answer, judges.

How did no one get Nottingham, especially with the extra time to think afforded by the wrong guess of Sherwood?

• Love 17

I watched the February 21, 2018 episode and I know what I said Monday, but it was another bad game.  The guy had part of the toliet paper holder in his pocket. Ok, in some ways this better than singing the alphabet backwards, because I could see it being true the spring rod for a toliet paper rack makes a better practice buzzer. It might be a helpful for tip for future contestants. But actually bringing the spring rod in! Is it from his house or the Jeopardy men's room?

Also I hate that Rob goes in to final Jeopardy unopposed. I think I would feel that way no matter who the champion was. I like closer games than that.  

• Love 9

Nottingham.  Not. Ting. Ham. They should have known it right away even without the bad wrong answer of Sherwood Forest.  That was super surprising.

Ok.  If you see a picture of a civil rights leader, and he’s not MLK or John Lewis, and even if you don’t know what he looks like, the answer will be Medgar Evers.

Hey.  Alex.  You never know, Rob could go crazy and wager two grand and be wrong and the lady bet it all and be right and then she wins so you would look pretty foolish telling her before FJ that she was going home in second place.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, GreekGeek said:

Speaking of Aaron Burr--who remembers the Got Milk? commercials with someone trying to say his name through a mouthful of peanut butter?

I love that ad so much!  ANY time I hear the name Aaron Burr I always mentally say it like the guy did.  It’s not possible to not do that.

• Love 21

I've been picking on Rob for his anecdotes, so I want to give him credit where credit is due. 

When Alex said the thing about Rob couldn't lose before Final Jeopardy, Rob had the grace to look uncomfortable and not gloat.  I think better of him for not gloating.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 11

God, Bryan, SHUT UP with the idiotic guesses!  I guess it's the Sheriff of Sherwood Forest now?  Ugh.  And, like several of y'all have said, how how how is it possible that no one else rang in with Nottingham?!?!?!

Of course I got Nottingham, and I also got camellia, Glass Castle, baths, and Tuscany.  I said Isak Dineson instead of Karen Blixen -- I wonder how that would have been ruled?  I mean, it is the same person, after all.

And I did a giant forehead slap for FJ.  Sadly, I have the Mel Gibson movie to thank for all of my knowledge of that place (and it really was a good movie), but I just could not come up with the name.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I said Isak Dineson instead of Karen Blixen -- I wonder how that would have been ruled?  I mean, it is the same person, after all.

I did the same thing. I also wonder how it would have been scored. I got baths, Nottingham, Tuscany, camellia and Gallipoli. 

• Love 5

I would like to see the wrinkle in time where we go back to yesterday's game and have Damien not bet it all on his DD (or be right on his DD) and then move ahead of smiley Rob and win the game.  I'm so tired of Rob starting in the middle and I hate runaways.  

• Love 11

After (correctly) ruling against "Hey Brother Can You Spare a Dime" yesterday!!!! There's no "when" in the title, it's a wrong answer, judges.

I wondered the same thing, but I think the difference is that "When" is in the lyrics of "I Saw Her Standing There" but not "Hey" in "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime."

I agree about the Nottingham TS, and I was also surprised nobody came up with Cardiff. There aren't that many cities in Wales that are common knowledge.

Loved the Classical Architecture category, but I wonder if they would have accepted porch rather than portico.

I felt bad for Bryan; always nice to see a stay at home dad. I hope his daughter doesn't tease him too much over his weak performance.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I watched the February 21, 2018 episode and I know what I said Monday, but it was another bad game.  The guy had part of the toliet paper holder in his pocket. Ok, in some ways this better than singing the alphabet backwards, because I could see it being true the spring rod for a toliet paper rack makes a better practice buzzer. It might be a helpful for tip for future contestants. But actually bringing the spring rod in! Is it from his house or the Jeopardy men's room?

The thing is, they both acted like the toilet-paper holder was an original idea.  But wasn't Alex Jacob the first player to say that's what he used to practice buzzer technique?  Credit where credit is due.

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I said Isak Dineson instead of Karen Blixen -- I wonder how that would have been ruled?  I mean, it is the same person, after all.

I said both and was then pretty surprised that the one they wanted was her real name, Blixen, which was much less known than her pen name.

1 hour ago, whinewithwine said:

Finally, my favorite category, and Alex gives the OK to "When I Saw Her Standing There".  Don't mess with my Beatles, y'all.

Maddening.

• Love 11

WTH with Rob being applauded for his "cleverness" of using a toilet-paper holder as a practice buzzer when Alex Jacobs, you know, the 2015 ToC CHAMPION, told us that same thing during one of his many interviews. Holy crap, Trebek, you freaking can't remember that? Because I sure can. And so did Rob, which is where he got the idea to begin with, I'm guessing. Alex not only won more than $150,000 in his seven appearances, he also pocketed $250,000 (well, before taxes) from winning the ToC.

According to Ken Jennings' book, he used his child's stacking rings post for his practice buzzer.

Edited to add: Mondianyone beat me to it about Alex Jacob's practice buzzer.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11

Ugh. R?B.  Again.  I guess poor Bryan's brain got clogged up with his hair gel.

21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:
minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did the same thing.  It would have been accepted if we'd answered When Isak Dineson.  The judging on this show enrages me.  New Jeopardy theme song - Hey, judges can you be consistent, when you're sitting on your asses?

I got Cardiff, Nottingham (WTF!?), Windsor, Medgar Evers, colannade, and Tuscany.

I was totally clueless for FJ.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I felt bad for Bryan; always nice to see a stay at home dad. I hope his daughter doesn't tease him too much over his weak performance.

It's not like he had much chance of winning anyway, but not being around for FJ is embarrassing. He might have known Gallipoli. I figured it out after remembering the Greek suffix for city.

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Cardiff, Nottingham (WTF!?), Windsor, Medgar Evers, colannade, and Tuscany.

Got those except for Medgar Evers. How did they miss Nottingham? 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I guess poor Bryan's brain got clogged up with his hair gel.

I noticed his hair toward the end of the episode and wondered if it was just soaked with flop sweat from his tanking so badly. But no ... I looked up his picture on the Jeopardy! website and yeah, mega gel. A little hair spray will keep that 'do in line, Bryan, or try "A Little Dab'l Do Ya." Not a whole tube. (Not that it matter now. But still ...)

21 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was totally clueless for FJ.

If they had only mentioned the Mel Gibson movie ...

31 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's just great minds, under great fruit hats, thinking alike.  ;o)

100 likes for this, Mondianyone. If only we could still do that!

• Love 4

Alex thought he was so clever with his Welsh accent, but completely missed the pronunciation of Llanelli.

I had a good night tonight!  Helps that I grew up in the UK.

Nottingham, Cardiff, Windsor, camellia, baths, Karen Blixon, Glass Castle, colonnade, Gallipoli.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said Isak Dineson, too. When Alex said Karen Blixen, I was very surprised -- I had forgotten that was her real name.

And I did a giant forehead slap for FJ.  Sadly, I have the Mel Gibson movie to thank for all of my knowledge of that place (and it really was a good movie), but I just could not come up with the name.

I had no idea. I saw Gallipoli many many years ago. I obviously hadn't paid attention or have simply forgotten, but I didn't know where Gallipoli was. I always think it's in Australia. Duh.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Loved the Classical Architecture category, but I wonder if they would have accepted porch rather than portico.

The answer was colonnade. I don't think porch would have been accepted since it doesn't necessarily have columns.

I think all the TSs I got were Nottingham, camellia, baths, and colonnade. I couldn't remember Medgar Evers' name. A crossword puzzle I worked recently even had that as an answer, and I kept thinking it was Medgar Evans.

I haven't read The Glass Castle, but a couple of days ago I saw some of the movie, including the part where she's driving and sees her mother picking thru a dumpster.

• Love 2

Our ABC shown here is out of Asheville, NC, and the first half of the show was pre empted due to coverage of Billy Graham's death.  It started at Double Jeopardy.

A couple of days late,  but on Monday , I was thinking of fun things to do with my nieces and nephews,  and thought of doing the alphabet backwards . I remember a contestant on Jeopardy did it once,  and lo and behold , Rob did it that night. 

Eta: I do agree with y'all it was not necessary for the show that night or that special.  All the kids are ten and younger.   

I don't mind Rob. 

Edited by halfpint ingals
Add a little info
  • Love 2

Alex Jacob's twitter talks about Rob and the toilet-roll holder, and has a video clip. He also mentions Bryan finishing in the minus, and Bryan checks in with his own twitter reply if you follow the thread. Interesting reading. Check it out: @whoisalexjacob

• Love 2

The long weekend threw me off so I had to binge watch all 3 of this week's shows and I find myself triply(??) annoyed.

4 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

3 hours ago, Fex said:

How did no one get Nottingham, especially with the extra time to think afforded by the wrong guess of Sherwood?

First this. There must be something in the fine print that says "no matter how we rule, you will deal" because otherwise the affected players should be raising hell on social at very least.

Hey.  Alex.  You never know, Rob could go crazy and wager two grand and be wrong and the lady bet it all and be right and then she wins so you would look pretty foolish telling her before FJ that she was going home in second place.

And THIS. Rude af. Especially since, with the amount he wagered, if Rob hadn't been correct, she would've won. I would pay money to see the look on Alex's face then.

And Rob. Tired of him and his runaways and the way too easy DDs that get him there. I FF through the interviews so I only heard him singing "Ayyyyyy" and not the whole alphabet. I had no idea what he was doing but Alex's reaction confirmed it was something pretty corny.

It's sad no one knew Medgar Evers with the mention of his wife's name AND a photo.

FJ was an instaget. I met a group of Australians at Gallipoli and got an intense but very informative WW 1 tutorial I'll never forget.

Fingers crossed tomorrow Alex will tone down the nasty and Rob will get the boot!

• Love 5

I felt bad for Bryan, but then he started making stupid guesses. Did anyone catch what he wrote beneath his name? I <heart> <some drawing> I kept forgetting to pause the recording, then erased it before checking. 

Rob should have definitely given Alex Jacobs credit for the toilet paper roll spinner idea. 

TS I got were Nottingham, Windsor, Camellia, Medgar Evers, The Glass Castle, baths (Bryan's missed DD). Kristy's Jimmy Hoffa DD was crazy easy. I had no idea for FJ.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:51 AM, Toothbrush said:

On another day, the judges may have accepted John's answer of "Hey brother can you spare a dime". They do tend to be more strict with actual titles, but the correct answer was a part of his answer.

Only took the judges 24 hours to prove my point about their inconsistencies. Well done judges <eyeroll> 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The answer was colonnade. I don't think porch would have been accepted since it doesn't necessarily have columns.

Right, I forgot the answer they were looking for was colonnade. But the picture was of a stoa, which the dictionary defines as "a classical portico or roofed colonnade," and elsewhere the Greek word is translated as "porch."

• Love 1

I thought of McLean Stevenson.

Me, too. AND I added Larry Linville just to be safe. Also yelled out, "Shelley Long! Charlie Sheen!"  Never thought of Patinkin.  Or Caruso. Can't stand Caruso, so he's never on the tip of my tongue, but I have a whole bunch of Patinkin CDs; you'd think I remember him.  (I once saw a movie with him and Glenn Close and I couldn't stop laughing at the "gender bender" names.)

I totally (sort of) blanked on the place called Gallipoli, but figuring "polis" was Greek for city, I went, shrugging, with a city in Ohio - Gallipolis. I wonder if the inconsistent judging would have deemed me correct.

• Love 4

Another thing Rob does that bothers me is sticking with a category no one knows the answers in. I hate watching contestants stare at the board. Pick a different category, jackass! What also helps is starting at the top to get the feel of the category. I've been rewatching Monk on Amazon, and I keep thinking about how much Adrian Monk would hate Rob. 

I had Cardiff, Nottingham, Windsor, Medgar Evers, The Glass Castle, and Tuscany. I didn't know FJ. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, teebax said:

What also helps is starting at the top to get the feel of the category. I've been rewatching Monk on Amazon, and I keep thinking about how much Adrian Monk would hate Rob.  

Yes, there have been many times where starting at the top helps greatly, but sometimes it's not really necessary. Still, I am irked that he starts every single category at the exact middle. I have to say that it's working for him.

Agree about Monk. I don't know how Adrian would react. Certainly HE would start at the top and probably at the first category, but would he advise Rob to rethink his method? Would he freak out? Poor guy. I miss him. (I loved the show at the beginning, but the last couple of seasons weren't my favorites.) 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Me, too. AND I added Larry Linville just to be safe. Also yelled out, "Shelley Long! Charlie Sheen!"  Never thought of Patinkin.  Or Caruso. Can't stand Caruso, so he's never on the tip of my tongue, but I have a whole bunch of Patinkin CDs; you'd think I remember him.  (I once saw a movie with him and Glenn Close and I couldn't stop laughing at the "gender bender" names.)

So, just Stevenson and Linville.  Did Wayne Rogers kick your dog or something? :P.        Seriously, MASH in general, was my first thought as so many of its main players left for so-called greener pastures.  Caruso was my next thought because such a big deal had been made of it by the media at the time.

There is no "Well" in the title of The Beatles' song!  The judges' decisions--or non-decisions--are infuriating lately.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

So did I, along with Suzanne Sommers.

17 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

Ticked me off.

17 hours ago, Fex said:

The mister, who generally leaves the loud comments to me, said "that is bull....!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

So, just Stevenson and Linville.  Did Wayne Rogers kick your dog or something? :P.        Seriously, MASH in general, was my first thought as so many of its main players left for so-called greener pastures.  Caruso was my next thought because such a big deal had been made of it by the media at the time.

There is no "Well" in the title of The Beatles' song!  The judges' decisions--or non-decisions--are infuriating lately.

Don't forget about Gary Burghoff (Radar)! 

The contestant said "When" not "Well," but you're right that neither word is in the title.

• Love 2

Nothing like an impending deadline to spur spurious creativity.  I stole @CarpeDiem54's idea for screwing with a Beatles title and wrote some verses.  I didn't get as far as a bridge, so there's at least that to be grateful for.  If I'm not welcome back here, I totally understand.  Sung to the tune of "Hey Jude":

Hey Judge, your ruling's bad
Take a moment and go reverse it.
You ruled just the opposite yesterday,
And here on the board, we sure did curse it.

Hey Judge, don't let us down,
All you need are the fundamentals.
Then stick to them with some consistency,
And we won't be such damn judgmentals.

Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, Ca-meuuu
Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, au jus
(And so on.  Rodang. Good for you.)

• Love 22
6 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I had a bad day yesterday—only got Cardiff, Medger Evers, Nottingham, bathhouses, and Gallipoli.

Your bad day was still better than the players'.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Still, I am irked that he starts every single category at the exact middle. I have to say that it's working for him.

If you don't look at the teevee, it won't bother you at all. It works for me.

I yelled "Pernell Roberts!" when the Left TV category came up. Adam Cartwright riding off of the Ponderosa was a HUGE news story back in the day, no actor ever did that, and he only had a few roles after he left Pa, Hoss and Little Joe behind. One was playing "Trapper John, MD," Wayne Rogers be damned.

Of course, you young 'uns wouldn't know about the Cartwright boys. As Trebek would say, "It was before you were born." Ha ha!

I'm pretty sure Trebek knows what each player writes for FJ, so any catty/snotty (take your pick) remarks are already in his head. He'll never get bit in the butt after answers/bets are revealed. It's been too obvious too many times that he knows what everyone writes.

10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, Ca-meuuu
Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, au jus
(And so on.  Rodang. Good for you.)

Okay, this made me LOL, especially the Ca-meuuu(ooo). You guys are the best.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Alex Jacob's twitter talks about Rob and the toilet-roll holder, and has a video clip. He also mentions Bryan finishing in the minus, and Bryan checks in with his own twitter reply if you follow the thread. Interesting reading. Check it out: @whoisalexjacob

He also sings the alphabet backwards! ahhh! This is like the weird thing a guy does on a date and you're like "who does this?" and then you find it's a trend that some guy started and now they a lot of them do it because it worked. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I yelled "Pernell Roberts!" when the Left TV category came up. Adam Cartwright riding off of the Ponderosa was a HUGE news story back in the day, no actor ever did that, and he only had a few roles after he left Pa, Hoss and Little Joe behind. One was playing "Trapper John, MD," Wayne Rogers be damned.

I forgot about Pernell. I do remember how huge that was. I was young, but it wasn't before my time. ?

• Love 6