Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Last night and tonight each of the sole male contestants were from Rochester NY.  I thought that was a weird coincidence.

I agree. Being from Rochester myself, it really stood out. I thought maybe they did the camera obscura question deliberately when a Rochesterian was on (Rochester being the home of Eastman Kodak), but I suppose they aren't in the habit of giving contestants gift categories. 

• Love 1

The judges were pretty slow to react on both of Lisa beth's corrections. I didn't know "Forever" was part of the song title but it was clear to me she left the "d" off of "Scrooged".

I got the "Our Town" DD, and for TS, Nelson and Vonnegut. That's at least the 2nd time I've seen Vonnegut be a TS. He's one of my faves so that's a bummer.

Iwo Jima immediately came to mind for FJ, since it's pretty much the only battle I can name. 

Same here. And now I know it has a volcano! #myJeopardyeducation 

• Love 7

I guess I forgot (or never knew) that Iwo Jima has a volcano. I was thinking of Mt Etna, so I said Anzio, the only Italian battle I could think of.

TSs I got were Holiday Inn and angel shark, as well as the DD of Our Town.

I'd heard of Kilgore Trout but couldn't remember the author.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Fex said:

So does everyone in the world know so much about Guernica? I just knew it was a Picasso about suffering, and kind of what it looks like.

When I was in high school, it was on display in one of the museums in New York and our photography teacher, for some reason, took our little photo class to see it. None of us had ever heard of it, but she stressed how powerful a statement it was and a museum docent gave us a little talk on it. So that's how I know Guernica. (God bless the teachers in that school; our history teacher took us to Columbia University to see Archibald Cox speak right after he was fired on Nixon's orders. She told us that sometimes history was going on right now and we wanted to see as much as we could.)

• Love 11
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To be fair, I've actually seen it in the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid while I was studying abroad but I can't attest to where others gained their knowledge about it. It's a 25 foot long mural. 

I'd love to see it! Maybe someday.

1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

When I was in high school, it was on display in one of the museums in New York and our photography teacher, for some reason, took our little photo class to see it. None of us had ever heard of it, but she stressed how powerful a statement it was and a museum docent gave us a little talk on it. So that's how I know Guernica. (God bless the teachers in that school; our history teacher took us to Columbia University to see Archibald Cox speak right after he was fired on Nixon's orders. She told us that sometimes history was going on right now and we wanted to see as much as we could.)

That is so wonderful. What luck you had such amazing teachers. You know they're special when you are writing about them on the internet however many years later!!

Tonight, the category about words with multiple meanings, I just could not keep up. I felt so dense, I couldn't get any of them... until pall came to me instantly, yet it was a TS! Good job, brain.

• Love 3

When I was in high school, it was on display in one of the museums in New York

I used to do my homework at the Donnell Library (a branch of the NY Public Library), across the street from MOMA. My school gave out free MOMA passes and my BFF and I would eat our bagged lunch in the garden and then, before we left, we'd ALWAYS visit Guernica. Can you say goose bumps? 

• Love 5

I have a daily crossword app and in this morning’s puzzle Bing Crosby, White Christmas and Holiday Inn were all answers.

I’m still surprised Holiday Inn was a TS, because that’s one of those trivia bits that comes up all the time.

I read a synopsis of the movie in a magazine recently and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've not seen Holiday Inn, either (can't stand Fred Astaire OR Bing Crosby) but I'd watch White Christmas over and over - Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney! The only way to make that better would be to add Donald O'Connor.

Sacrilege!  LOL!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The judges were pretty slow to react on both of Lisa beth's corrections. I didn't know "Forever" was part of the song title but it was clear to me she left the "d" off of "Scrooged".

It was Alex who initially accepted both wrong answers.  Boo hiss!  The judges' job is getting more difficult day by day.

• Love 5

I only watched this episode with half a brain, but I did make a note that the VIDEO DD of FLYING JETS in the category "Angels" was a no-brainer worthy of the Tournament of Pre-School Champions. But then the show redeemed itself with KILGORE TROUT! I was beside myself, I even own a copy of Venus On The Half-Shell. So, of course, it was a TS. WTH people. I thought Vonnegut was required reading for all eggheads. Side note: I googled the book and discovered it was NOT written by Vonnegut. There was much mystery around the "real" identity of Kilgore Trout, and the author's photo on the back of the book is hilarious if not mysterious. Because of that book, that's also the name I give Botticelli's Birth of Venus, it will always be Venus on the Half Shell to me. As for FJ, I said Iwo Jima, and like others, now I know it has a volcano!

As for Alex ... it's seldom I don't think he's an asshat.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Gah again Alex drives me bonkers with his “you’re too young to remember” World War II.

For cod’s sack, Alex, I’m pretty sure none of them were alive in 1865 but they knew Reconstruction!

Saying “you’re too young” to know anything is so annoying.  

I vacillated between Battle of the Bulge and Battle of Midway because the clue made me think it had to be in Japan and I never chose between either of them, which is good, because Iwo Jima never came to me.

Guess I’m just too young!

I dozed off and missed the clue, but after looking up, I can say that I probably wouldn't have come up with Iwo Jima.  Not sure what I would've said, but no guarantee of Iwo Jima.  But then again, I'm too young to remember WWII so I'm okay.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Saying “you’re too young” to know anything is so annoying.  

Agreed. It's equally annoying when someone doesn't get an answer and says "it was before my time" (speaking from trivia game playing experience). 

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Too bad they couldn't have updated their Zimbabwe clue, since Mugabe isn't president any more.

I imagine they filmed before his ouster - which was pretty recently. There's been a lot of that this year, it seems, the Tom Petty clues for one, and I've forgotten the other notable one.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I guess I forgot (or never knew) that Iwo Jima has a volcano. I was thinking of Mt Etna, so I said Anzio, the only Italian battle I could think of.

We did too. The Pacific battles were never my strong suit, so I was thinking of where a battle might be that had both a volcano and a gorge. 

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I only watched this episode with half a brain, but I did make a note that the VIDEO DD of FLYING JETS in the category "Angels" was a no-brainer worthy of the Tournament of Pre-School Champions. But then the show redeemed itself with KILGORE TROUT! I was beside myself, I even own a copy of Venus On The Half-Shell. So, of course, it was a TS. WTH people. I thought Vonnegut was required reading for all eggheads. Side note: I googled the book and discovered it was NOT written by Vonnegut. There was much mystery around the "real" identity of Kilgore Trout, and the author's photo on the back of the book is hilarious if not mysterious.

I knew Kilgore Trout was Vonnegut, but for some reason, I just couldn't connect the dots because I couldn't parse the clue.

• Love 2

Bad, boring game, and I hate when they do not clear the boards. 

I knew Lisa Beth was going to get $$ taken away for Stars & Stripes Forever and Scrooged.

My knee jerk FJ guess was Etna, but when I gave it some thought I got Iwo Jima. It was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush, but most WWII related clues are. 

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

TSs I got were Holiday Inn and angel shark, as well as the DD of Our Town.

These were my TS also, plus Boehr. 

9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I imagine they filmed before his ouster - which was pretty recently. There's been a lot of that this year, it seems, the Tom Petty clues for one, and I've forgotten the other notable one.

Al Franken, and I can't remember the other one. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I only watched this episode with half a brain, but I did make a note that the VIDEO DD of FLYING JETS in the category "Angels" was a no-brainer worthy of the Tournament of Pre-School Champions.

I got Vonnegut, angel shark, Our Town, Holiday Inn, and I caught the two mistakes that Alex missed, yet I did not get Blue Angels.  Go figure.  Sometimes you know stuff, sometimes you don't.  And so it goes!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, Toothbrush, if Dr. Toothbrush always gets WWII answers, that means he must have been alive during that time period. Right, Alex Trebek? /snark/

I will have to check the attic for an aging portrait of him, since he claims to have been born 22 years after the war ended ;-) 

• Love 8

Kate has very lovely handwriting but she sometimes says “hundret” and I’m not sure what that little hissy fit was about when there were two clues left in the Jeopardy! round.

I may have been speaking in hyperbole, but I blurted out “you all should be crucified for not knowing Shirley freaking Jackson” when that was an inexplicable TS.

I laughed when the first ad after DJ was for Farmers Insurance.

I am incredibly sure The Fug Girls would have known FJ.  I said Denmark? after dismissing Spain but didn’t think that was correct.  Which it was not.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Kate has very lovely handwriting but she sometimes says “hundret” and I’m not sure what that little hissy fit was about when there were two clues left in the Jeopardy! round.

I may have been speaking in hyperbole, but I blurted out “you all should be crucified for not knowing Shirley freaking Jackson” when that was an inexplicable TS.

I am incredibly sure The Fug Girls would have known FJ.  I said Denmark? after dismissing Spain but didn’t think that was correct.  Which it was not.

Maybe crucifixion is excessive, but yeesh! I don't blame you there.

Netherlands was another one of those things I knew, but I'm not sure why.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Fex said:
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I thought a more fitting punishment given the author would be a winning lottery ticket rather than crucifixion. 

Got Netherlands too. I remember hearing a few years ago how Queen Beatrix abdicated like her mother and grandmother did. 

• Love 14

I'm tired of Kate, her "hundret", and constantly glancing at the leader board.  On a shallow note, I liked Justin.  He reminded me of Chris Noth.

The only TS I got was Shirley Jackson.

FJ was an instaget, but I have no idea how I knew that.

• Love 7

I only got the Shirley Jackson and hooey TS. I incorrectly guessed FJ would be a Scandinavian country and therefore incorrectly guessed Sweden.

Unfortunately Justin blew his big lead with a couple of bad guesses. I was rooting for him not only because I liked him but because Kate and Remy had to read every word in the category name -- including when there was only one category left on the board -- and Remy adopted a strangely snooty pose and delivery in the DJ round.

• Love 10

I got springbok, Lawrence of Arabia, hooey, prattle, and the DD of Dr Seuss. I also thought Shirley Jackson, but I wasn't confident enuf to go with it.

For FJ, I don't know how I came up with the Netherlands. Lucky guess or some mysterious buried memory.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Spain for FJ, then thought Denmark but knew both were probably wrong.

Shirley Jackson as a TS was inexcusable.  Springbok and hooey, the other TS I got, were not quite so inexcusable.

Someone may have gotten springbok if they had started at the top of the category!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

On a shallow note, I liked Justin.  He reminded me of Chris Noth.

For some reason he reminded me of Robin Thicke.

39 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

and Remy adopted a strangely snooty pose and delivery in the DJ round.

Yes!  What was that?  A Napoleon impression?

• Love 7

I knew Lawrence of Arabia, hooey,the Persian Empire, and Shirley Jackson. I went through a phase in college where I read all her stuff, and I've read two biographies of her. The reactions of The New Yorker readers to "The Lottery" which the books quoted were both funny and disturbing. People wanted to know if lotteries like the one in the story really happened anywhere and if they could go watch. 

I wondered if they would have accepted "tittle-tattle" instead of "prattle."

I got FJ, but that was because I forgot about other European monarchies.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I hope between the Bye, Phoenecia and Robin Roberts on GMA the phrace "bye, felicia" wil finally be retired!

I'm with you, but I did enjoy the middle contestant's effort to say 'Bye Phoenicia' just like 'bye Felicia'.

The guy on the end looked just like Chris Hayes.

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I don't watch GMA. What did Robin Roberts say?

Bye Felicia!

• Love 3

I haven't been tracking my games for the past few days, but I wanted to add my name to the list of folks not enamored with the champ. For me it's her voice moreso than her game play. We are having a run of female champs, which I do like. Yes, we have had male ones in between, but I like that we are seeing more women win on Jeopardy.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Fex said:

I knew it right away, because I watch a lot of the Dutch soccer and Dutch speed skating and have read a lot about the Netherlands.  Until recently, King Willem Alexander flew as a guest pilot on a regular basis for KLM, and the royal family was frequently spotted cycling around the Hague.  I love how down to earth they are for royalty.

16 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

For some reason he reminded me of Robin Thicke.

Yes!  What was that?  A Napoleon impression?

I wondered if Remy was trying to find a more comfortable position.

• Love 3

I like it when games come down to FJ. Unless it is a contestant I really like, then I want it to be a runaway...lol Kate is not my favorite, but I do like her gutsy FJ wagers. 

The only TS I got were USSR & Lawrence of Arabia. FJ was an instaget. I remember when Queen Beatrix abdicated in favor of her son, it was big news that the country would have a king for the first time in over 100 years. 

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Hey Toothbrush, did I hear Dorian Gray mentioned tonight? Shout out!

Yes!! And true to form, Dr. Toothbrush id'd Marshall by the picture alone. 

17 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Unfortunately Justin blew his big lead with a couple of bad guesses. I was rooting for him not only because I liked him but because Kate and Remy had to read every word in the category name -- including when there was only one category left on the board -- and Remy adopted a strangely snooty pose and delivery in the DJ round.

That drove me crazy too. And there were some long-ass category names. 

18 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

On a shallow note, I liked Justin.  He reminded me of Chris Noth.

He reminded me of  a young Alec Baldwin, circa Beetlejuice 

• Love 4

I'm glad I mostly listen and don't really watch this show so I miss all the shucking and jiving and buzzer busting players. Until you guys here alert me to pay attention to someone so that person bugs me too. Like Kate's "hunert" dollar wagers. Gah. Thanks a lot yous guys.

• Love 9

If you want a "Hemingway type", what are you selling? Something to do with writing, something Cuban, something adventurous??? Then it hit me! "The world's most interesting man"! Dos Equis!! Mr. Clean?!!!!!!!!! What was she thinking?!!!!

• Love 8

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  Mr. Clean was almost as boneheaded a guess as grape for the loganberry clue earlier. 

This might have been a reasonable game if they hadn't started at the bottoms of the categories and worked their way up!  I'm glad neither of the women won just because of that behaviour.  The new champ only did that when the women started out that way -- given the choice, he generally started at the top, didn't he?  Or were they all annoying in that way?

TS I got included planetarium, Golden Eagle, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (despite never having seen an episode), and Stuart Little Dorritt. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

If you want a "Hemingway type", what are you selling? Something to do with writing, something Cuban, something adventurous??? Then it hit me! "The world's most interesting man"! Dos Equis!! Mr. Clean?!!!!!!!!! What was she thinking?!!!!

Yes, everybody knows Mr. Clean was based on Eisenhower (or so I've heard). I did not think of Dos Equis. My mind went back to the Marlboro Man, but I wondered if the show would want to plug cigarettes, even as a trivia question.

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me, too, because I watch a lot of tv and The World's Most Interesting Man gets made fun of a lot. I thought Mr. Clean wasn't a bad guess ... IF Hemingway had been bald. I rate it a higher-level bad guess than Guernica for American Gothic. LOL that a picture of a planetarium was a TS. But I also guessed falcon, not golden eagle, for that clue since I can't imagine a golden eagle, bigger (heavier) than a bald eagle, landing on someone's arm with all its force and while carrying some varmint. But that just proves what I (don't) know. 'Bye Kate. And your hundert-some dollars.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was an instaget for me, too, because I watch a lot of tv and The World's Most Interesting Man gets made fun of a lot. LOL that a picture of a planetarium was a TS.

I also happened to know that Jonathan Goldsmith was the original "Most Interesting Man in the World." Planetarium being a TS is just a fail. 

• Love 7