Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: My Brother's Keeper

Drogo
  • Start Topic

One more question (I'm just full of them today, aren't I?) - I keep seeing people refer to the bickering brothers as "the Ginger Brothers".  What is the significance of that name?  Somehow I didn't get the memo about that.  Is it some obscure Harry Potter reference that I don't get because I never saw or read HP?  Is it a common nickname for two brothers with ginger colored hair?  I must know.  Thanks.

I wasn't surprised - I didn't think Brooke & Dave were getting a winning edit.  I think the brothers are.  Since we got down to these three, I've been rooting for Pete and Sam but I think the Bairds have the winning strategy.  I noticed a few episodes ago it looked like they were setting up a "where do you spend your energy" dynamic - shelter or food question.  The brothers have complained about the cold but I don't recall them complaining about their shelter specifically, so it seems fine for them.  It's all hunger, hunger, hunger with everyone.   I would think Pete and Sam would win except that this episode I can see Sam pushing the button because he's worried about his father.

TPTB vastly underestimated how problematic it would be to feed two people, which is silly, considering that last year they had to pull one of the final two for her own health.  I mean, by this time they know the availability of food.  By having bow and arrows, etc, they obviously want people to hunt but they're not getting real hunters - sure, people may catch an animal or two in their non show life but they have other options for basic sustenance. 

The show runners have to re-tool - watching exhausted people starve isn't fun, which is what I said last season.   I don't like the teams concept either but with everyone starving, we're not going to get introspection or fun musings like from Alan or Dave; we're getting I'm tired, I'm hungry, how long can I last.  The other failure with having teams is that possibly TPTB thought having a team member would buck you up if you were feeling low - the opposite happens, where rightly, your team member is someone who cares about you and says let's get out of here before you do permanent damage.

• Love 4

Why did the fish only make one of them sick? Or is it a matter of the reflux and stuff making anything "off" he eats more of an issue? Why oh why couldn't he have been puking his guts out and tap??? If they manage to win this, I am for sure going to throw up.

I think that Ted said he also has an ulcer.  If that's the case, GERDs combined with an ulcer is very painful.  I speak from experience.  Sometimes having nothing on my stomach was worse too.  Then when I ate, I felt sick.  It was a no-win situation.  I would think if it had been the fish, Jim would've been sick too.  IMO, Ted has other issues with his stomach. 

This has been the worst season so far.  We watch it hoping for the ending to come  sooner rather than later.  Boring!!

• Love 3

I gasped when they showed Brooke and Dave tapping. Was not expecting them to go before Team Tarp. For all the talk about them having the best site, it shows that there are drawbacks to every location. Their crab trap was so much better than Tarp's mess. But that cabin was stupid. Surprised he didn't start looking for limpets. 

Speaking of Team Tarp, I have GERD, it's not fun. Glad they stopped fighting with each other.

Pulling for Sam and Pete. I want them to get the boat, and fish and bond.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

OK, I have another question then.  We didn't see much evidence of them smoking fish this season to save up for the scarce time.  I would have thought that Brooke and Dave would have done some fish hoarding to prevent them having to tap out early like they did.  Did I miss something or did it seem to anyone like they didn't save much fish?

Also, call me suspicious but I got the feeling there was more to Brooke's not feeling so great than she let on.  Or perhaps the medical team made her leave for being underweight but she didn't want them to make a spectacle of it so they let her act like it was voluntary.

I'm thinking that maybe the fact that this time they were out there in pairs had something to do with their not being able to save/smoke fish.  Since there were two mouths to feed, they had to eat what they caught.  

Regarding Brooke, I firmly believe that the tap-out was voluntary.  But it's possible that the medical team had warned her that she was getting close to the point where they were going to have to pull her.  It's also interesting that we have a married couple here, and I don't think the husband wanted to see his wife suffer or injure her health.  I'm sorry to see this team go, but I'm happy that we never saw them bickering.  They appear to have a good marriage.

9 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I cannot remember who Desmond is. 

Well, if you blinked you would have missed him  :)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Wait till Brooke and Dave find out that that they left before the Ginger Bros. 

Hindsight is always 20/20, but building that cabin really is what did it.  Dave had 10 more days in him and Brooke could have been the same way, if that had not expended all that extra energy.  I have a feeling the other two teams are ready to tap out soon.  I think in this season a matter of days will separate first place from third place.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Actually, that was not Jose.  The guy that hoarded all those smoked fish that were hung up so neatly and had to be pulled because not only was he starving but delusional was Dave from last season.  

He was turning into Gollum when he was pulled out. ;-)

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

He was turning into Gollum when he was pulled out. ;-)

Now we wish, to catch a fish, so juicy sweet!

But we likes them raw - and wriggling.

What?  You're pulling me out?  No!  I've got 30 filets!  I can eat more!  No, precious!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I'm thinking that maybe the fact that this time they were out there in pairs had something to do with their not being able to save/smoke fish.  Since there were two mouths to feed, they had to eat what they caught.  

Regarding Brooke, I firmly believe that the tap-out was voluntary.  But it's possible that the medical team had warned her that she was getting close to the point where they were going to have to pull her.  It's also interesting that we have a married couple here, and I don't think the husband wanted to see his wife suffer or injure her health.  I'm sorry to see this team go, but I'm happy that we never saw them bickering.  They appear to have a good marriage.

I agree with you on both counts.  I think Brooke may have thought it out in advance and planned to go just before they pulled her rather than wait until it wasn't voluntary.  And of course her husband was around to remind her of that and reinforce the decision.

I think the assumption going into this season was that two people could potentially catch twice as much fish but even I posted earlier that this didn't seem to pan out in practice because one member always seemed to be better at catching fish, or the pairs tended to divide up the chores so that only one was fishing and the other was gathering or doing other stuff.  Then too I'll bet the odds of catching anything go down the more fishermen are around in any given area.  I've only gone fishing a few times in my life but it would be logical to assume this.  I wonder why no one on this show thought of that.  Or maybe like others have suspected, the producers didn't want them to last that long and knew the team aspect would actually shorten their stays because of stuff like this.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Actually, that was not Jose.  The guy that hoarded all those smoked fish that were hung up so neatly and had to be pulled because not only was he starving but delusional was Dave from last season.  Jose from the season before that left of his own accord after he got wet, IIRC.

Thank you, I was always getting Crazy Dave and Jose mixed up. Jose just quit for those "I've done what I wanted to do" reasons.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Thank you, I was always getting Crazy Dave and Jose mixed up. Jose just quit for those "I've done what I wanted to do" reasons.

No.  Jose quit because the dumbass wore all his warm clothes and dunked in his unstabilized canoe.  

ETA unless there was another Jose in S3?

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4

If it was up to me, I'd hang it up on this season now that Brooke & Dave tapped out.  I'm sure Mr. Chat will want to finish the season though.  As for me, I can take it or leave it.  Listening to an hour's worth of "we're starving to death" is not interesting at all.   Maybe they are setting up Ted & Jim for the win with the "slow and steady wins the race" (gathering of limpets everyday) kind of theme.   The moral of the story here for me: if these so-called "experts" can't survive out there with their survival gear, I sure as hell would die in about a week if I were plopped down in the middle of nowhere!   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

No.  Jose quit because the dumbass wore all his warm clothes and dunked in his unstabilized canoe.  

No you're right there was only one Jose and that's how he left, crying all the way about having to tap out because he got wet.  He was almost as delusional as Dave, but not quite, because at least he knew when to call it quits.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

The moral of the story here for me: if these so-called "experts" can't survive out there with their survival gear, I sure as hell would die in about a week if I were plopped down in the middle of nowhere!   

Amen to that! I can't go more than 6 hours (unless I'm asleep) without carbohydrates or I get nauseous. As much as I rag on the Dumbass Brothers, they are definitely doing waaaaay better than I would.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Me?  6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes.   (I'd probably tap out when the dropoff boat hit the shore!)  ;-)

We can just have the dropoff boat drop us off in Victoria.  There are some nice restaurants and hotels there.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The moral of the story here for me: if these so-called "experts" can't survive out there with their survival gear, I sure as hell would die in about a week if I were plopped down in the middle of nowhere!   

This one statement totally sums up this season. I just laugh at the screen when that disclaimer comes on. 

That frozen seaweed? Mr. Cooks said "You put it in boiling water and eat it!" Safer than rotting fish. He also said if Brooke and Dave had not been so hellbent on building a cabin, they'd be the last ones standing. That shelter they had was way better than anything else anyone this season has done, with Pete & Sam's a close second. She wore herself out and used up pounds and calories in the process.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

We can just have the dropoff boat drop us off in Victoria.  There are some nice restaurants and hotels there.

Anywhere on Vancouver Island with accommodations, food and a bar is fine with me - I love all areas of the island - even drizzly Port Hardy.  :-)

• Love 2

Damn, the Fart Twins might actually win this thing.

Seems like the thing to do is to build a smokehouse ASAP and catch and smoke as many fish as possible as quickly as you can because there is nuthin' to eat when the snows come.

• Love 5

You forgot the part where he was carrying something very heavy onto the really tipsy boat while he was wearing all his warm clothes.  Jose, one of this show's biggest disappointments, but still made it to third place.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, rmontro said:

Now we wish, to catch a fish, so juicy sweet!

But we likes them raw - and wriggling.

What?  You're pulling me out?  No!  I've got 30 filets!  I can eat more!  No, precious!

Twicksy hobbits!

• Love 3

I was gone for the weekend and did not feel like replying on my cell phone so here are my reactions to this weeks episode.

Seriously bummed that Brooke and Dave are gone. They were great. Competent, smart and in a solid relationship. I don't think taking an extra two pounds of rations instead of the soap would have made that much of a difference but still...

Love Pete and Sam. They both knew what was happening. They were both frustrated and they worked it out. But I am worried that they will tap because then the idiot brothers win and I really don't want those two numbnuts to win. The brothers have showed no skills, if anything they have shown that they are lacking skills and good judgement. They might win because they are young and have more body fat to chew through so that they can simply outlast the people with real skills and intelligence.

Then again, they would be fitting winners for a complete and utter shit season.

• Love 6

This disappointing Season 4 is ending with 4 starving and awaiting their fates..coming down to % of fat and weight loss

The tease has someone leaving by stretcher...Pete seems the most vulnerable since he is 25 years older than the rest and self proclaimed his shakiness and deterioration of mental acuity...

The casting call is out for Season 5 so there will be another season since the audience numbers held at about 1.5 million viewers

Guess the producers didn't completely blow up the show...

https://premieredate.news/tv-series/2434-alone.html

Don't forget there are 2 shows back to back on Thursday...The Finale and Reunion...The last 3 teams will be present..

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The tease has someone leaving by stretcher.

Could be the brother who may have appendicitis. Or it could be old footage of the guy who fell and hurt himself. They love to screw with us, with the clips.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I thought the brother who slipped and fell on a tree log was the person who went out on a stretcher.

3 hours ago, holly4755 said:

NO the kid with the sprained ankle hopped on to the helicopter. Might have been the older brother who slipped on the rock. 

You're both right. :). The one that fell flat on his tailbone and warped his back.

I still think that the yurt and flute maker, cannot recall who that was, had the best building.  He should hook up with the Patagonia girl from Lopez Island.  :)

• Love 1

Just a reminder that this week includes both the finale (which I now have no desire to watch) and an after show, and starts an hour earlier than normal.  Also, details for the after show say it includes "a peek at Season 5".   If they're already filming season 5, that was smart, because if they'd waited until after

season 4 crashed this show into the ground they'd never get a go-ahead for another season.

7 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Mr. Cooks and I

I'm assuming that now that I'm seeing this phrase that you and your boyfriend have tied the knot.  Congratulations, @cooksdelight!

• Love 2
On 8/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, TVbitch said:

Pete is really an aware dude, checking himself on his irritability and the miscommunication right as it's happening. Under these conditions, that's pretty impressive.

I think Brooke did self tap. The way the crew ran up on them with cameras to get the scoop did not seem like they had pre-told them a medical tap was imminent. She is a hella tough lady and reached her limits. I do think the new shelter created a deficit she could not come back from. 

As I watched this episode I kept thinking, wow, the brothers are being respectful, supportive, thoughtful even! --the forum will be crushed.  giggle.gif

I sort of feel sorry for the brothers because they probably got the jerk edit. 95% of the time they probably weren't arguing with each other or calling each other names, but because that makes for less compelling TV by the reality television rulebook, it gets shelved to make room for clips of them snarking each other.

They probably get along better than the impression the TV series gives.

10 minutes ago, Scaeva said:

I sort of feel sorry for the brothers because they probably got the jerk edit. 95% of the time they probably weren't arguing with each other or calling each other names, but because that makes for less compelling TV by the reality television rulebook, it gets shelved to make room for clips of them snarking each other.

I'm sure they do.

But it's not their bickering that makes me dislike them - at least only a tiny portion.  It's their incompetence and comedy of errors.

• Love 1

Congratulations @cooksdelight!  Beautiful pic, love the dog :)

6 hours ago, Scaeva said:

It's funny because I don't think they get along badly at all.   If it were me or my sister, one of us would have been dead by now, lol. 

They seem to have been successful at feeding themselves with the limpets and other pickings.   No one seems to have had much luck fishing.   The boat they built was seaworthy, I think they probably gave up on it too soon.

That said, this is supposed to be Alone.  Assuming we could cut one team member, I would rather have had the brother (Ted?) who was foraging; Pete (he's better at catching fish then Sam) and Dave (I don't think Brooke would have fared as well by herself if she didn't know Dave was on his way).

On 8/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, humbleopinion said:

Lucas Miller, composer of "2 Note Song" yurt, boat, instrument  builder/maker from Season 1.

Yup, I haven't seen anyone best him for sheer competency and creativity.   Then of course he leaves because he did what he set out to do or whatever it was.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, raven said:

Beautiful pic, love the dog

Thank you! That's Scooby-Doo, the town's most famous dog.

I would kill my sister out there also. As I was watching this season, I kept thinking "What would the two of us do?"

One would wind up dead.

• Love 1