Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E23: For Better or Worse

maraleia

Castle and Beckett's long-awaited wedding is almost here, but when a shocking surprise threatens to ruin the big day, they are sent on a wild mission filled with masked men, angry bikers and a charming ne'er-do-well from Beckett's past.

(edited)

Well that was definitely worse.

It was wildly disjointed and I'm tired of the cliffhanger endings that will never amount to anything. I think it shows the show runners don't have confidence that their characters and storytelling are enough.

Edited by Bewitched
  • Love 1

Nooooooo.   Marlowe is in so much trouble.   I wanted a nice wedding with no wacky hijinks (other than Castle being Castle with an assist from Ryan and Esposito) or murder intefering.

Instead we get:

1.   Long lost husband.   Because New York would have a record of a Las Vegas wedding for a couple living in California at the time of the marriage.   Hello, did anyone notice throughout the gay marriage debate that marriage is a state thing?

2.   Some convoluted plot that OUr INtrepid Heroes must overcome to be together.   Because all the OTHER times they were shot, kidnapped, blown up, dropped in the river, etc, were not enough to show they were Meant To Be.  

3.   The fugly beyond belief dress being ruined.   Okay that is a plus.   So she winds up getting married in her mother's dress.   Which is a very Beckett dress and should have been the only dress she considered anyway.  

4.   The wedding venue burning down so they have to get married at the house in the Hamptons.   Which I said they should do long ago.

5.   The world's fastest divorce in history.   Even with a consent, it don't go that fast.   Plus waiting period after the license issuance?

Except we don't get a wedding,   Instead we get a mysterious car running Castle off the road.   Who said the Mombatross was dead?   And who called it last week it wasn't the end.

I did love Martha's speech to Kate.  Thanking her for making her son happy.   I really hoped that meant a happy ending.  

Nope, Marlowe just can't let these 2 be happy.   He has to fuck with them because he is a miserable person who wants everyone else miserable.

• Love 3

That was so freaking stupid. The surprise marriage to the village idiot, the lame delay after delay so he won't sign till the very end, then a freaking kidnapping and fake death complete with a close up of the weepy almost-bride? Ugh. That was seriously insulting my intelligence and making a mockery out of what used to be a fun and smart show. I fast forwarded through most of that hoping we'd still see a nice, emotional wedding, but one we hit the ten minute mark and still had to sign the papers I knew it wasn't happening. Glad I didn't waste the full 42 minutes. That was seriously disappointing and not at all shocking.

This is probably wrong of me, but I laughed when the voiceover said "Castle and Beckett will return next fall."  Way to completely kill the suspense there, ABC. 

• Love 11

I never considered mombatross! I thought Spydad. In the fall, I want a couple months to have passed with Kate, Martha, and Alexis being a family unit bonded by grief. The book probably sold bazillions due to the death bump. 

• Love 1

Wouldn't the background check that Beckett had to go through to become an FBI agent have shown she was married?  I'm assuming she put single on whatever paperwork she filled out for them, so the fact that she's been married for 15 years have thrown up some red flags.

Hated the cliffhanger ending and wished that Castle was just being paranoid as the ominous looking SUV passed him.  

• Love 3

Fuck you, show. Seriously. I just wanted a nice end to the season, and this is the shit that I get. 

And I wasn't thinking the Mombatross storyline when the black SUV showed up, I was thinking 3XK. 'Cause he's still out there, and that storyline hasn't been wrapped up in a neat little bow yet. So I'm pretty sure Castle's been kidnapped, and his car was left and set on fire to buy time. 

*SIGH* Even after a night's sleep, I'm still fucking pissed.

• Love 3

Here in Cleveland the show didn't air due to tornado warnings, our ABC affiliate had the weather on all night.  From reading the previous comments I guess we will be in for a disappointment when we watch it On Demand. After all these years watching Castle I never have high hopes for good plot development.

• Love 1

*SIGH* Even after a night's sleep, I'm still fucking pissed.

Yep. And reading Marlowe's interviews this morning has just magnified my hate. I've yet to find anything redeemable in this mess.

So many things wrong with this episode.

1. The woman at the records office knew Becket was married without even typing her name into a computer.  Get a fucking grip.

2. Castle has a lot of money and some good lawyers. Surely the money and lawyers could have managed this much better than Kate going Upstate to steal her husband's girlfriend's garage door opener.

3. What a convoluted pile of crap that story was.  Strippers and pastors and mobsters and a bicycle gang? What, Marlowe, you couldn't figure out how to shove some Chinese secret agents in there, too?

4. Do you know how normal people do this? They have the fancy wedding, they fix the paperwork, and then they go to a courthouse to get the legal marriage done. 

5. Normal rich people let couriers and fax machines and lawyers do the paperwork. They don't drive all the hell over the state of New York.

6. We know you're not going to kill Castle. If you're going to pretend to kill Castle, could you at least not telegraph it the way you did? As soon as I saw him in his car talking to Beckett on the phone, I knew what you were doing. 

Marlowe, I know you don't know how to write a love story about people who are actually happy, but maybe over the summer you could take a writing class, workshop a couple of scripts, try to come up with something new.  

• Love 3

Yes to what everybody else said about the marriage license ridiculousness (background checks, marriage issued by state)- that's exactly what I was thinking last night!

I'm beginning to think that there was an elaborate plan for some (completely stupid and made up) reason to keep the two from getting married.  The long-lost husband?  The fire at the rooftop venue?  The flood that ruined the dress?  (Kate should send a thank-you note to that pipe.)

And the fairy-tale part about overcoming challenges-- ugh.  Do they think people aren't willing to watch a couple who have a happy and fun relationship?  Nick and Nora did it perfectly, so it can be done.  It's like "Moonlighting" ruined a happy couple for all time now.  

(edited)

I accepted the ex husband shenanigans, albeit reluctantly, because I thought we'd get a wedding. Ten minutes until the end, I realized we wouldn't, and I thought about Marlowe and how he likes to jerk fans around. How on earth was I supposed to imagine the ending we got? I watched poor Kate running toward the burning vehicle and thought "Whatever." Because really, how much more can Castle and Beckett take? There's overcoming obstacles, and then there's melodramatic, clichéd schlock. It's like Marlowe was rubbing his hands together, all "I'm so hard core and edgy", when he's actually a pretentious d-bag. And, Marlowe reminds me of Whedon with the whole give us what we need, not what we want. That's not a compliment. Now, I'm just waiting for fix-it fic. 

Edited by brae

astle has a lot of money and some good lawyers. Surely the money and lawyers could have managed this much better than Kate going Upstate to steal her husband's girlfriend's garage door opener.

This cannot be said enough.   I also like the crack about CHinese Secret Agents.   I was also thinking having the big wedding and fix the paperwork later.

Ticketyboo, we should ALL send a thank you not to that pipe.

(edited)

Sigh.  I just wanted a nice wedding.  Yes, you just have your wedding and your party and go on your honeymoon- then when you get back in town fix the paperwork & go see the Justice of the Peace.

Also, even in Vegas you need to get a marriage license so they would have had to go to the court house & then the drive through.  

Kate really should have strong armed Rogan in the first place- she has never had an issue that.  Christ, she could have brought her gun (unloaded) and used that.  

And that Mercedes would have easily evaded that Navigator.

I did love how wedding planner Alexis was.  I loved Castle's little speech, and Lanie's dramatic dress call.

But yeah- not happy with this or Marlowe's post-show interview.  

Edited by gik910
  • Love 1
(edited)

Gah. Here's the shocking plot twist we should have gotten- Castle looks suspiciously at the encroaching car, pulls over, scene cuts to the Hamptons as he arrives safely and tells his best daughter that some people drive like idiots. Papa Beckett walks his lovely daughter down the aisle, Rick says I do, Kate says I do, they kiss and have a party.  Seriously, no one would see that coming; we'd all be waiting for the "shocking twist."

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 3

I think the burning car was a metaphor for me. I'm pretty sure I'm out. I've stuck with this show through some pretty sucky times, but the disrespect shown to the audience in this one (like we'd believe that stupid contrived marriage would not have come up in background checks, etc) is too much for me. Honestly, I've only been going through the motions even making myself watching this show for the past couple of seasons, and I'm suddenly asking myself why. I hope it gets good again, and that the fans are rewarded for their loyalty next season. I'm just not at all sure I'll be among the audience. Beckett did look beautiful in front of the mirror and Castle looked nice in his tux. I'm going to write the wedding in my head and bow out with that.

• Love 1

So many things wrong with this episode.

1. The woman at the records office knew Becket was married without even typing her name into a computer.  Get a fucking grip.

2. Castle has a lot of money and some good lawyers. Surely the money and lawyers could have managed this much better than Kate going Upstate to steal her husband's girlfriend's garage door opener.

3. What a convoluted pile of crap that story was.  Strippers and pastors and mobsters and a bicycle gang? What, Marlowe, you couldn't figure out how to shove some Chinese secret agents in there, too?

4. Do you know how normal people do this? They have the fancy wedding, they fix the paperwork, and then they go to a courthouse to get the legal marriage done. 

5. Normal rich people let couriers and fax machines and lawyers do the paperwork. They don't drive all the hell over the state of New York.

6. We know you're not going to kill Castle. If you're going to pretend to kill Castle, could you at least not telegraph it the way you did? As soon as I saw him in his car talking to Beckett on the phone, I knew what you were doing. 

Marlowe, I know you don't know how to write a love story about people who are actually happy, but maybe over the summer you could take a writing class, workshop a couple of scripts, try to come up with something new.  

But do we absolutely know there are no Chinese secret agents? lol

• Love 1

I have always thought the Bobby Ewing in the shower storyline was a cop out but damn if I don't want the opening scene of season 7 to be Beckett waking up and saying "I had the worst nightmare!"

We can find a way to get rid of the dress again somehow.

• Love 2

Its funny the two standard excuses on TV for finales like this are: "Dallas set the bar for cliffhanger finales." and "Moonlighting Curse." Hey I have an idea, stop trying to either copy one or blame the other and learn how to write! I said it. I'm done. I will be back for season 7 but what a horrible season finale full of so many plot holes and bad writing. Nathan and Stana and the rest of the main cast could not save this episode at all. It was so bad. OF course I love how Nathan Fillian and Seamus Driver were killing it on their twitter feeds. Almost made up for everything.

• Love 1

Horrible finale - for all the reasons above. Been waiting all year for that wedding. Plus, the show is called CASTLE, so come on, we know he isn't dead. Plus the cheery

"castle and beckett will be back fighting crime next year" or whatever, kind of took away from the suspense, not that there was any to begin with. Lame, lame, lame.

• Love 1

As publius said above, Castle was pre-empted by storm coverage in Cleveland last night so I haven't seen what sounds like a mega disaster.  I'm grateful masked men, hired by Bracken, didn't storm the wedding and the scene ended with everybody on the ground and gunfire all around.  Could have happened and I wouldn't bet the ranch it didn't cross Marlowe's mind.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.  First of all, a marriage license in New York is valid for 60 days, so why did they wait until the last possible second? And according to the City Clerk's office, "The application is an affidavit where you and your prospective spouse must list [the usual crap]; and marital history.  When you sign the affidavit, you are making a sworn statement that there are no legal impediments to the marriage."  So, an officer of the law signed a document stating she had never been married, when, in fact, she had been married for the past 15 years.  Ignorance of the legality of a Vegas marriage is no excuse.  I have never met a person who has believed that if you get married it Vegas, it "doesn't count" and I'm finding it very hard to believe that Beckett hasn't known anyone who has went there to get married or has talked about it.  

But fine, we have an ex-husband to deal with and Beckett drives up to get him to sign the papers, but refuses until she helps him.  So, Rocky or whatever his name is, blackmails a police officer into committing burglary for him.  That feels like a felony on his part and corruption on hers.  And she does it instead of, I don't know, calling the cops and refusing to bail him out until he signs the papers.

Then we have the wedding drama.  "Oh no!  The venue is destroyed the day before the wedding!  Whatever will we do??"  No worries; we'll just have it at the beachfront mansion we have in the Hamptons!  Problem solved!  Then, "Oh no!  A pipe burst and your wedding dress is ruined!  It's too late to get another dress in time!"  Well, except that the groom is loaded, the bride is built like a model, and you live in the fashion capital of the world.  Somehow, I'm pretty sure that there's a dress there that will either fit you perfectly or you can hire a team of designers to work overtime to ensure it fits perfectly.  Oh, but wait.  The bride's dad just happens to have her mom's dress and it just happens to be in perfect condition and fits exactly right.  Problem solved again!

I believe that the reason Castle was driving from New York to the Hamptons, after meeting with his lawyer to do the emergency divorce filing.  Why exactly is he driving all over the place to meet his lawyer, and on his wedding day, no less?  Why did Castle have to be there for the filing and not Beckett?  It's not his divorce, it's hers, so if anyone would need to be there to see the judge or something, it would be her.  And really, your wedding day, of all days, would be a perfectly acceptable reason to take a helicopter.  

This show used to be 'must see' for me and I would never let more than an episode pile up on the dvr, but in the 1.5 seasons or so, I've just become tired of the dragging out of storylines.  There is no reason that there shouldn't have been a wedding, other than to jerk around the viewers.  And as far as I'm concerned, the Beckett's mom storyline is done.  I was about 15 minutes into the episode before this one and realized I was bored and annoyed, so I'm done with it and won't be watching anymore episodes about that nonsense.  

• Love 2
This show used to be 'must see' for me and I would never let more than an episode pile up on the dvr, but in the 1.5 seasons or so, I've just become tired of the dragging out of storylines.

This past season I've only checked in to see if it was going to wrap something up and FF through most of it.  

I was so glad the dress died a horrible death.

Party of one here - I liked it. I thought it was funny and light for the most part and I enjoyed the tone. The ending was a little jarring (totally going with one of his Dad's enemies being to blame) but I am curious to see where it is going.

I've watched this show from the beginning and the reason for that has nothing to do with logic, it is about the chemistry between the characters. Loved the constant ribbing Castle and guys were giving Kate throughout the episode about her "husband". Loved the moment between Kate and Martha and the way Martha made it clear that Kate was the perfect one for Castle by giving her the earrings. Loved OCD Alexis.

And I really do not mind the ending car crash. Much like there was no way Kate was dead when her apartment was blown up at the end of an episode, there is no way Castle is dead. I am ready to see who has him and why. I will be happy to see Kate, Javier, Lanie and Ryan working together to find him. I can honestly see Alexis demanding to be included in the search and could pave the way for her to make a decision about her own future after her dad is rescued.

Until I see how it plays out, I am going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure I'm out too. It's really ridiculous there wasn't a wedding. So next season, Castle will either just be done the road healthy and in one piece, in which case why bother with the accident, or he'll be missing or assumed dead, delaying the wedding even more. Give me a break. Plus I'm not thrilled with the way Kate's been acting this season. she seems straight out of fan fiction - all schmoopy and in love. It is possible to make happy, together couples interesting. Continually throwing obstacles their way is not how. Bah. This made me grumpy and I haven't even been invested most of the season.

As someone already pointed out, the entire premise of the Vegas wedding is BS. You have to apply for a marriage license for it to be a legal wedding.

Application: A man and woman who are unrelated and are both at least 18 years old may be issued a marriage license in Clark County. Proof of name and age will be required. Acceptable identification includes driver's licenses, passports, military ID cards and other government-issued ID cards. Other combinations of ID that contains an applicant's photograph along with an original/certified birth certificate or social security card may be presented as well. The couple must appear before a clerk at a Marriage License Bureau location -- either in downtown or at one of the outlying offices.

http://www.vegas.com/weddings/las-vegas-wedding-legal-requirements/

This plot device was already stupid when it was used on "The Big Bang Theory" earlier this season.

(edited)

Its funny the two standard excuses on TV for finales like this are: "Dallas set the bar for cliffhanger finales." and "Moonlighting Curse." Hey I have an idea, stop trying to either copy one or blame the other and learn how to write! I said it. I'm done. I will be back for season 7 but what a horrible season finale full of so many plot holes and bad writing. Nathan and Stana and the rest of the main cast could not save this episode at all. It was so bad. OF course I love how Nathan Fillian and Seamus Driver were killing it on their twitter feeds. Almost made up for everything.

Not only do I have to learn how to properly reply/quote in the forums, I have to get up to speed on twitter. Following Nathan and Seamus' twitter feeds would have improved my mood!

Edited by BMGepinniw

Actually it was Nathan and Eddie tweeting Warehouse 13 and Castle sitting next to each other. Totally amused at the vid of Nathan saying that Rogan O'Leary is a fake name while Eddie it trying to defend it. William Shatner also live tweeted the ep too. All 3 of them live tweeting were more entertaining than the ep. The Devers are on vacation in Europe and were tweeting pics of Eurovision this weekend.

Having been traumatized at a young age by the wedding arc on Lois & Clark, I was more amused than upset at the ending.  More like, "Silly me, I should have known better than to believe we'd actually get a happy ending on the first try.  Well, at least Kate has not been replaced by a frog-eating clone...yet."

Obviously a procedural-dramedy show isn't quite the same thing as a cheesy comic-book-based show, but hey, which one is harder to believe: that an intelligent woman in her 30s wouldn't realize her Vegas marriage was a real marriage, or that a baby from another planet would be sent to Earth where his alien-ness gives him superpowers?

• Love 2

The only thing I really didn't like was the wedding cliffhanger thing.  If the wedding had been in the middle of a season instead of the end of one, I'd be cool with it.  But as a season finale it's pretty lame; we know Castle isn't dead so all of the tension such a thing could have had is false. My guess is spy daddy.

I dug the dead beat husband thing because I love Eddie so very, very much.  He was hilarious.  I don't mind the marriage license shennigans for the most part because that's tv rules for you.  Shows always have surprise double wedding things where the last minute couple joining the already planning to get married couple don't seem to need a marriage license so whatever.  The fact that a license was even mentioned was kind of novel for me. 

I did get a laugh out of the county clerk even asking Beckett for a divorce certificate, though.  Forget the fact that she didn't type anything: Beckett's marriage was in Nevada and they were applying for a license in New York.  Clerk lady would not have even known Beckett was married.  County Clerks aren't sitting in front of a nationwide database of that sort of thing. Because of a weird personal thing I can tell you that not every state even has a statewide database and the ones that do mostly still have incomplete records and tell people to call the local county offices to double check information. I would think it would have popped on Beckett's FBI and Cop background checks but meh, maybe not. 

Because of a weird personal thing I can tell you that not every state even has a statewide database and the ones that do mostly still have incomplete records...

Yeah, 15 years after my ex remarried, when I was going to switch back to my maiden name, the county clerk discovered that our divorce had never been finalized.

And any show with Eddie McClintock and Nathan Fillion is bound to stretch reality for comedic effect, which is fine with me, because they make it worthwhile.

I just hope the next season opens with a disheveled Castle shlepping up the hill saying, "Am I too late?" rather than some kidnap or emergency room drama.

• Love 1

What a crap. Such bad script. I think it is one of the worst final
I ever watched.
Marlowe destroyed the character for what?

Because really, how much more can Castle and Beckett take?

Exactly. It just a wedding, Marlowe. After that you come back to reality.
New crime, new family who lost somebody.

I won't be back on 7 season.

I haven't actually seen the episode.  I thought the premise was tiresome sounding so I didn't watch.   Just sounded too boring.  I may watch it next fall.  I am not that bothered by the "destruction" of the "one and done" canon, because I don't think this destroyed it.  People can live through their immature phase and THEN decide to turn their life around and foster new life philosophies. Beckett went from marrying a loser to becoming a 5 star cop.  I'd say she did that.

If one and done was destroyed, it was destroyed by Beckett falling for Castle.  I thought the idea of the one and done was that she falls deeply in love only once, the marriage just symbolized that love.  Beckett has fallen deeply in love at least twice, maybe several times, once with her old job mentor (name escapes me).  Seems like there were others in her past too.  Besides, Castle is a pretty light TV show and not known for continuity.  People try and analyze it too much, I think.

I find the show generally tiresome, only partly because the love story disappoints, but at least as much because of generally poor writing.  The filler dialog: Have you noticed how fast the actors have to talk sometimes? Talk about needing an editor.  I also get tired of the ridiculously large numbers of red herring suspects.  I like how Blacklist does it, where they provide highlights of all the witnesses and suspects they interview so they can get on with the parts that people really want to see.

I think Marlowe had ideas for about 5 seasons.  The way they've drawn the story out so long is pretty alienating and the show runner simply lying about the show is not the least bit endearing at all.  I loved Castle at one time.  I think by next fall, I will be a casual viewer.  Castle will go on my DVR, only if I have enough tuners that I can record Blacklist (which stays on Mondays until Feb), NCIS LA (which moves to 10 on Monday) AND Castle.  Otherwise, the other shows take priority and I'll see Castle on ABC.com if I get the time.  As far as I'm concerned, it's time for the show to end. 

And I probably won't watch another Marlowe franchise again, just as I don't watch anything by Shonda Rhimes(sp).  What attracted me to Castle was that it was lighthearted, not a high suspense serial drama.  But now it's gone down the Shonda Rhimes soap opera well, with all the irritating cliches therein.   Now that I know Marlowe will go there, I won't set myself up to deal with it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rogan O'Leary was played great by Eddie McClintock so much like his Warehouse 13 character. But it was crazy how he couldn't even be taken seriously by the female Deputy. He will wander back in drunk in a couple days she said. He'd call Beckett "Kit Cat". It was funny how Beckett had to chase Rogan and almost force him to sign. I figured he loved his ex gf the bartender Tildy McGuire.

Was nice everyone, Alexis, Martha, Ryan, Lanie, Espo and even Captain Gates helped to fix the problems. So Kate's dress got ruined by a leaky pipe. She got to wear her mom's. They moved the venue to Castle's Hampton house.

I forgot the gang was at Rogan's place. Thought it was funny "Mrs. O'Leary" telling the biker gang what Micky Barbozz was worth to the feds 100,00 bucks. All of a sudden all those guns come out. Biker Head tells Micky, "Come on tough guy!" lol.

Who was in the Cadillac?? I thought with Castle calling Beckett from his car something would happen. I thought at first it was his dad maybe joking around. He pulls up next to him and rolls down the window and waves. Or saving him from something? He has to disappear for awhile? But then Castle's car is burning in the gully. Someone must have him locked up somewhere. 3XK? Will Beckett call her FBI buddies or his dad to save him?

Edited by webruce

Andrew Marlowe and Terri Edda didn't just as the audience to suspend belief, they asked us to be complete idiots and I am far from it. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about the "Beckett being married for 15 years" was believable. 

Marlowe's interviews afterwards was just farther BS! Also why he did it -- [paraphrasing] to knock Beckett down a peg or two, to humanize her to Castle. Yeah, b/c the last six seasons didn't in anyway do that! *insert major eyeroll*

PS: Are we allowed to curse on this forum. I don't all the time but, you know, sometimes this show can bring out the potty words. 

• Love 2

The usual 4-letter stuff seems fine here per the Q&A section, but you may want to read it just to familiarize yourself. But it generally seems more user friendly than TWoP.  :-)

• Love 2

OK, it's been a week and I still feel irritated by the stupidity of the season finale.  Starting with the stupid premise that Beckett (or any reasonably intelligent human being) would not realize that when you get a license and the license is signed and filed - you really are married.  To the cheesy cliff hanger.  I feel "used"  I was getting a bit bored with Castle this season but now I am just freaking irritated.  How I miss the Jump the Shark website - I would have loved to see what was written there about this turkey.

Marlowe & Terri made Beckett a complete idiot to sell that bullshit story. Beckett, a detective, who knows the law, doesn't know that  a marriage is real when you sign papers and file it w. a court isn't legal?! We were also asked to pretend that Beckett didn't go through background checks [ w. the NYPD or the Attorney General's office] and this wouldn't have came up.  Some asked would they tell Beckett she was married; wouldn't they assumed she knew?  I think they would have, especially the AG's office, when seeing that her husband is a career criminal! And that she's been lying to the tax office for 15 years, filing as "single"!  
I honestly don't know what the hell MilMar were smoking when they con cocked this mess! Marlowe's only saving grace is that those pissed off have until September to cool off. 

• Love 1

I'm sure in an early episode Castle asked Beckett if she'd ever been married and she said something like -- not verbatim here -- No, I never took that step.  Just cannot buy she didn't know or didn't remember.  Come on, guys, give us some credit.

Did Marlowe think that no one would tune in next season if Beckett and Castle actually got married? Running the car off the road was too WTF for words. I can put up with a certain amount of contrivance for this show; my tolerance for it is higher with Castle than with most other series, mostly because I think this cast is so terrific. But why undercut Martha's lovely scene with Beckett ("Katherine," I should say) so ruinously by ending on such an unbelievable car wreck?

My money's on the return of Spy Daddy, for no adequate reason.

Hope Castle's father is in no way involved w. this. Mainly b/c that interview I read w/ J. Brolin left a sour taste in my mouth and I don't wanna see him on the show for a while.  

The whole episode + the last scene = a bad episode/finale. Marlowe/Edda could have given us an episode w. no case and about the wedding. There could have been mishaps along the way that were funny and [i'll use a Marlowe tried & true statement] honored the characters journey. Ending w. a wedding and amazing wedding vows.  

Just to be clear, I don't really want Castle's dad involved either, necessarily. That's just what it looks like we're in for, to me.

There could have been mishaps along the way that were funny and [i'll use a Marlowe tried & true statement] honored the characters journey. Ending w. a wedding and amazing wedding vows.

Could have been, and should have been. But "honouring the characters' journey"? Really, Marlowe? Ick. Now I remember why I stopped reading interviews with the writers of the show.

I totally hated the season finale.

Most of the episode was wasted on a stupid, manipulative buffoon criminal.  No way does Beckett not know she was married.  No way.

I could have excused the stupidity of the college husband chase if the ending had not been so foul.

After years of all kinds of angst and problems, we should have had the wedding.  Everything was set and gorgeous. 

Big fat zero on this season ender.

• Love 4

The ABC Studio Advisory Panel finally got around to doing the Castle survey today.  They asked for ratings of characters, ratings of relationships (not just romantic, but the work groups as well), ratings of the final set of episodes, favorite episodes from that last group and why, and least favorite episodes from that group and why. Needless to say, choosing my least favorite episode was not remotely difficult -- I had things to say to them about that finale, y'all. Tossed in a few comments about Marlowe's interviews making it all even worse in the "other comments" box as well.  I admit, it felt vaguely cathartic to tell someone who kinda, sorta matters what I thought.

• Love 3
(edited)

I guess it would be cathartic to vent disapproval to the powers that be for a show that makes you mad.  However, don't expect it to change anything.  Think about it.  Did you vent to ABC about Castle in the past? Did it change anything?

Edited by TVWithPity

Did you vent to ABC about Castle in the past? Did it change anything?

It's a panel for ABC Studios, who produce the show, not ABC, and I haven't had anything nearly as disparaging to say about Castle up til now (although I did gripe about the proposal in last year's finale and I did think the premiere did a good job of "fixing" that).  I will say that I've vented to them about all manner of things wrong with Revenge, OUAT, and Nashville and that, yes, it did seem they addressed issues there.  In those cases, they seemed to know what the problems were, though, and the surveys were specifically addressing those issues. This was more general than some others have been, but they seemed to focus specifically on the last half of the season, so I'll bet they're aware of the response the finale got.