Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Auditions Begin

radishcake
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Word of advice.  DO NOT use Google Chrome to watch.  Finally got it to play in Edge.  Dayton looked good.  Who was the other "legacy"?

Shelly responded to this in another thread:

There was another daughter of a DCC Alum (Stacey Malmay) that cheered in the early 90s. I cannot remember how far she made it in the process.

• Love 1

Oh and I forgot to comment on the new intro! It was about time! But i think it was too short, i would love to see some other faves as well aaand Holly looks a bit orange for some reason. But it's much better than the previous one

• Love 1

I guess I am in the minority... I liked madyson with the hearing impairment.  I thought her personality was fun and resfreshing.   I think she just needs to lose some weight and tone the abs because girls with a more square figure need to be really fit (It's unfir but got to work with what you are given).  She has great hair and  even Kelli said her dance was strong. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I guess I am in the minority... I liked madyson with the hearing impairment.  I thought her personality was fun and resfreshing.   I think she just needs to lose some weight and tone the abs because girls with a more square figure need to be really fit (It's unfir but got to work with what you are given).  She has great hair and  even Kelli said her dance was strong. 

Me, too. Loved her. She just needs to tighten up and she'll be great. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I liked her too and had the same thoughts, loser a little weight and tone up

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I didn't really like or dislike her, but I agree that if she tones up, she could definitely be a real contender. 

I like Dayton, but I also think she is also a bit soft. Nothing major or drastic by any means, but I agree with others who pointed this out upthread.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed that the auditionees were generally depicted in a positive light - most commentary was more respectful than ever, not too much snark or condescension from the judges. It made the episode much more fun to watch when the focus was on the girls' good points and the courage they had all shown in turning up! I'm glad the humiliations of previous years were minimised. Of course there are girls who are less suitable... and that's obvious without snide remarks on top.

I still love @ShellyB's moments most of all... the camera capturing the involuntary facial expressions as you willed Dayton on to do her best - that was so adorable!

I too am surprised that Ballroom girl didn't get a chance at semi's to see if she could handle DCC choreo ? - I can see why she was judged unsuitable, but still, that girl could clearly move well given her background and I wish the judges were curious to know more about her. Perhaps there were extra issues that weren't depicted.

Loved Christina's hair. Perfect on her. 

I can't remember a season before this that showed prelims as such a fun day with lots of goodwill and warmth. ?

• Love 8

Did a re-watch this morning and Whitney has not learned how to master facial expressions unfortunately. One of her big issues last year in training camp was her closed mouth expressions.

With her rbf she really needs to concentrate on mastering a performance face that she wears the entire time she's dancing.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Abbey65 said:

I was having the same problem watching it online(it also wouldn't play after first commercial)..What I did was clean my cache using my 'ccleaner'.  When I went back to the CMT website and clicked on the video to play, I moved my cursor over where I left off.  I had to do it after every commercial(clean my cache), which was sort of a hassle, but at least I got to watch the whole thing.  I hope this helps!

*duh moment*....LOL should've thought of that

The @ShellyB moment was by far my favorite part of the episode. You look amaaazing and Dayton is absolutely beautiful. If she didn't make it I really hope she auditions again.

Can we swap out Melissa Rycroft with Nicole Hamilton, Jackie Bob, or Whitney I.. or Emma? Melissa is cool, but I sorta would have a 5 year DCC OR all-star to fill that slot.

Soley based on this episode and what I remember from past seasons, I don't think any returning TCCs will make the team besides maybe Christina. 

Who spends $1000 on an audition outfit? 

"Now that was a leg!" still takes me out lmao 

the other mother daughter moment was cute but that girl won't be a DCC. 

Whitney needs to stop auditioning. She's cute, and a good dancer.. but I don't really see how she gleamed "come back" from the conversation her last season. Random but I hope Amy auditions again some year. Her cut was so sad and I was really pulling for her.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ilovetrashtv said:

In case anyone is curious, here are screenshots comparing Season 5's auditions vs. this season. I really wonder if the show is the reason why there are fewer people auditioning.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.05.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 10.10.24 PM.png

SAME! Best part of the season IMO.

In the past there were more women who did not have the dance ability or even the body that could fit into a uniform.  I think we see fewer of those so there are more quality women who apply

• Love 5
3 hours ago, cherryblossom said:

In the past there were more women who did not have the dance ability or even the body that could fit into a uniform.  I think we see fewer of those so there are more quality women who apply

Kelli is still rocking it in a red dress!!! I agree quality over quantity...the level of dance ability and beauty of the ladies is a testament to this. The fact that they draw people from far and wide shows how the DCC is held in such high regard. I love my Ravens and Eagles cheerleaders but I view the DCC on the level of a Broadway dancer. They really are world class performers. Remember I have watched the show somewhat in the past but focused on it this year because of Bri. The level of dance ability and dedication to be a DCC is intense. I have a MBA in marketing and this brand is well maintained by Charlotte, Kelli, Judy, Shelly et al. It makes an Eagles fan like the Cowboys? Just don't tell anyone in Philly that I said that!

Edited by Rosiemac
  • Love 4

If you count the number of seats occupied, it looks like a little less than 300 tried out in Season 5.Yet, Kelli makes it sound like over 600 people show up.

Either a bunch of girls are chickening out and not following through with the audition, or Kelli is majorly exaggerating. I am betting on the latter.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tinabee1967 said:

If you count the number of seats occupied, it looks like a little less than 300 tried out in Season 5.Yet, Kelli makes it sound like over 600 people show up.

Either a bunch of girls are chickening out and not following through with the audition, or Kelli is majorly exaggerating. I am betting on the latter.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering if perhaps this might be due to some potential TCC candidates getting a "pass" from the first preliminary rounds?  I don't know if that is something that actually happens, but it could certainly make up for the missing numbers on the first day, and would make sense if they are actively recruiting.  @ShellyB, do you actively recruit for TCCs, and if so, would they get a pass from the first round of auditions?

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, mmm said:

I ask this every season how were your guys fave outfits ?

Didn't really have any faves; most were nice. The sparkly face girl in the capri leggings  cracked me up. 

The aqua & white outfit Brianna from NJ wore looked like the same ones the MDC finalists wore when they were choosing TCCs.

Watched the show again today and realized Jets cheerleader Savannah looks like former DSIG/TLD (now a DMD) Tristan with the red hair and big teeth.

Edited by MrsEVH
6 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

CMT just posted a deleted scene interview of Madisyn on Facebook.

Thanks for posting this!  I hope she comes back next year.  And I am happy to knowI am not the only one.  :)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Normally she names a number "500 girls applied" "Over x hundred girls competing" and this year she just said "hundreds"... so I think she has improved!

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

Normally she names a number "500 girls applied" "Over x hundred girls competing" and this year she just said "hundreds"... so I think she has improved!

does it cost $$ to audition? If so, maybe the fee raised to the point, some of the non-serious women, said no. Or something in the application increased -like the nbr of years experience. 

Also, the number could be dependent upon the nbr of retirees expected each season - which would increase one chances of getting selected. A current squad full of 4+ year vets, means the next year, it could be perceived more slots the next year. More perceived slots - more come to audition.

Is the number applied higher than the nbr seating in the seats? meaning they 1st cut at the application level - like most jobs .

The highest nbr on the board this year is 409

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

It will be interesting to see how far Cary makes it. I have a hunch the judges will say she is not a "big screen" girl and she will not get in because of that. She has an unconventional look, but I really, really like her a lot.:) In the Amazon.com episode, they took out the "We Are A Family" song and it just ruined the moment between her and her Mom.

Thank you for the explanation about the number of women who tried out. It makes sense. :)

Ballroom dance just looked too washed out. Also her comments about being older with just pets for company, um, bite me dance queen, that's a pretty awesome life. Much better than being bitter and judging, that's the quickest ticket to a lonely life. 

• Love 15

Kitty called Ashley N "nasty" in her second year camp, meaning it as a compliment. I think she is more NIAGW than this candidate. To use an former season expression, Ashley's sexiness was more "organic". This one seems to be trying too hard.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

Thanks for posting this!  I hope she comes back next year.  And I am happy to knowI am not the only one.  :)

I do like her, she has a sweet personality and sparkle. But if she wants to make it to semis next year, she's going to have to tone up and slim down. The contrast between her current appearance and the photo she gave them was something KJC all commented on. I think if she does that, she could go far.

I found it interesting that her last name is Murphy. In Season Two, Christina Murphy made the squad and she had hearing aids as well. 

Edited by ATLGirl
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, raindancer said:

I know this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering if perhaps this might be due to some potential TCC candidates getting a "pass" from the first preliminary rounds?  I don't know if that is something that actually happens, but it could certainly make up for the missing numbers on the first day, and would make sense if they are actively recruiting.  @ShellyB, do you actively recruit for TCCs, and if so, would they get a pass from the first round of auditions?

We do recruit. Shelly McCaslin on our staff stays in contact with many of the best college dance & cheer programs in the nation. There was a time in the past that a bye was given to some for semi finals due to the timing of auditions and perspective spring events for a few Texas colleges. Over the last few years, the audition process has moved into May, eliminating the need to give byes. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

100s of applications are turned in and end up being no-shows. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Is there an application fee? Or do the girls pay a fee when they show up at auditions?

29 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

it would be nice if that was clarified on the show, simple one line "500 applied, and 300 showed up for auditions, rather than saying 500 auditioned" when there are clearly not that many in the stands, there are many reasons girls might not show for auditions and that's nothing against the DCC but it does appear strange to many watchers when it is possible to count how many girls are in the stands

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Is there an application fee? Or do the girls pay a fee when they show up at auditions?

There is a fee, I think it's $30?? There is a deadline to turn in the app, several parts to the app, so walkups are very rare. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I liked Madyson, too.  Like you said, she was fun and refreshing.  She reminded me of a young Natasha Lyonne.  She's cute as a button, and a strong dancer.  She's not that overweight, just needs to tone up a bit, and she will be good to go.  I hope that she tries out again next year!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

it would be nice if that was clarified on the show, simple one line "500 applied, and 300 showed up for auditions, rather than saying 500 auditioned" when there are clearly not that many in the stands, there are many reasons girls might not show for auditions and that's nothing against the DCC but it does appear strange to many watchers when it is possible to count how many girls are in the stands

There is not enough between time on the morning of check in and Kelli's speech to update totals. Therefore we go off of applications received any the deadline, which is usually 2 days before prelims. 

• Love 3
Just now, ShellyB said:

There is not enough between time on the morning of check in and Kelli's speech to update totals. Therefore we go off of applications received any the deadline, which is usually 2 days before prelims. 

I was thinking in one of the talking heads she does, I know those have to be shot later in the day

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

I was thinking in one of the talking heads she does, I know those have to be shot later in the day

Nope...entire show is shot in order. The only things that is jumbled, is actual footage of tryouts for the girls they are featuring. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Nope...entire show is shot in order. The only things that is jumbled, is actual footage of tryouts for the girls they are featuring. 

CMT pulls her aside to do talking heads between each part of the audition process, wow that seems like it would really extend the day

• Love 4

I know I'm a dork but I think it would be cool to see a montage / abbreviated segment of the behind-the-scenes prior to the audition process -- how many applications come in; how they are sorted; how they set up; WHAT IS IN THE BAGS THEY GET.....'cuz I'm a fangirl and not ashamed to say it ;-)

After they practice anywhere other than their studio, I always wonder who get stuck pulling down the giant DCC pictures; who was responsible for arranging pompoms in neat, symmetrical patterns -- and who gets to clean up!

Hello.  My name is Doreen and I'm a DCC addict.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, English Teacher said:

I know I'm a dork but I think it would be cool to see a montage / abbreviated segment of the behind-the-scenes prior to the audition process -- how many applications come in; how they are sorted; how they set up; WHAT IS IN THE BAGS THEY GET.....'cuz I'm a fangirl and not ashamed to say it ;-)

After they practice anywhere other than their studio, I always wonder who get stuck pulling down the giant DCC pictures; who was responsible for arranging pompoms in neat, symmetrical patterns -- and who gets to clean up!

Hello.  My name is Doreen and I'm a DCC addict.

I totally feel you, this would be a cool segment to put online. If not a CMT bts, for the DCC website itself. The planning itself of the auditions must be ridiculous. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

I totally feel you, this would be a cool segment to put online. If not a CMT bts, for the DCC website itself. The planning itself of the auditions must be ridiculous. 

Much better idea, HowdeeDo!  Or part of some bonus segments to those of us who purchase the season from Amazon or iTunes.  :-)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, M1977G said:

I don't think Judy hates everyone but Cassie. I think every year she votes for a great dancer or two that others don't like as much because they're focused on looks and she even was really, really nice about the mom who showed up with her daughter. That said, I was totally annoyed at the Cassie life-sized poster behind Melissa and others in some interview scenes. I was like, get over it already and show some more recent DCCs! But then I was all excited to see Kelsi Reich's poster so I guess I'm just tired of CT. 

I also kind of like Anthony Ramos. He's quite charming interviewing the contestants, putting them at ease in a tough situation. And he was pretty funny, too, with his "What is happening here?" and especially that "Bless her heart." Definitely one of the best, and most flexible, Southern sayings. He used it well! 

I was actually watching last years auditions where Charlotte and everyone said they loved Yuko and Judy said "It was good, it wasn't great".  I love Yuko so there was some bitterness on MY part!  LOL

• Love 1

Loved the outfit that was navy with hot pink trim.  Also liked Dayton's- it was a good match for her skin and hair tones.

Loved Madyson, hope she comes back next year.

At first I felt bad for Ballroom Girl, but her comment about single people with pets really rubbed me the wrong way, so screw her.  I also didn't want to hear the word "ballroom" four thousand times during TC.

Whitney is the new Ashley that went to Pro Bowl- they just don't like her.  Although, at least this time, there's a reason...

This is the first year I've read zero spoilers so it should be interesting!

I was really sad to see the lady open the gate in the beginning- I thought they got rid of Phil!  I love that he gets his moment every year!

6 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

It will be interesting to see how far Cary makes it. I have a hunch the judges will say she is not a "big screen" girl and she will not get in because of that. She has an unconventional look, but I really, really like her a lot.:) In the Amazon.com episode, they took out the "We Are A Family" song and it just ruined the moment between her and her Mom.

Thank you for the explanation about the number of women who tried out. It makes sense. :)

Thanks for explaining.  Saw it on iTunes and I'm like, how did I miss "We Are Family?"

Daughter of Mom and Daughter fame has an amazing body.  I really like her!

Edited by Calicocats
  • Love 3

I'm wondering if, when Kelli said that Whitney was just not a good fit for the team, Whitney heard an unspoken "this year" at the end and thought that she should try again.  Girl, you've had your moment in Training Camp and they essentially told you that you had a snowball's chance in a Texas summer of making the squad, yet you came back.  Do they need to take a clue-by-four to you for you to get the hint that you're not going to make the squad at all, ever?  All the other girls who've been told they're not right for the squad have taken the hint and taken themselves off to other pursuits.  You're the only one I know of who hasn't, unless that girl just wasn't featured like Whitney.

2 hours ago, Hummingbird24 said:

Wow! Poor thing. I think some toning and she could rock it. Sweet girl. I thought she was a good dancer.

Wow! I just clicked through to see Madison's backstory. I can't wait to see her back next year now. What a lovely girl.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

CMT pulls her aside to do talking heads between each part of the audition process, wow that seems like it would really extend the day

Lol....it is a long day. We (staff/helpers) get to the stadiums around 6:30 AM and don't usually leave until 6-7 PM on bother prelims and semis. Same arrival time for finals, but we are often not finished until 10 PM. We do have a late start for interviews @ 9 AM. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

@ShellyB, When do the girls take the written test? And who grades them? And for solos are they not allowed to use props anymore? I stopped seeing those after "The AppleTree" episode. 

They take the test on the day of semi finals & DCC Staff grades them. The rules for finals since the early 2000's have encouraged hand held props. Every once in a while a bigger one would sneak thru. It's really meant to speed the process of finals on an already lengthy day.