Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E18: Make Out, Make Up

• Start Topic

My  two takeaways from this episode:

1. Dorinda is the one friend that I would turn to if something awful happened to me. I know that she would try to make it nice again for me. She may be kooky, but I really believe that she has a good heart. 

2. Carol: Up until this episode, I really disliked her. I really could not stand her. After seeing the way she supported Dorinda, I have seen another side to Carol that I actually really like. Very soft and sweet. 

So weird, these changes, just like when I went from loving Shannon Beador to now she really bugs the shit out of me.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Guess I've been on this earth for too many decades.  Nekkidness doesn't bother me one bit--especially when the nudes are drunk and silly AND on TV.  How much anatomy can actually be shown?  What was actually shown that was so scary or shocking?  Bring on the full frontal nudity, girls and boys; I ain't afraid!   Drunk people hugging and slobbering are pretty much the same, clothed or un.

Not the nudity so much but the hugging while nekkid, it is just too intimate in my mind for a friend and Bethany and Sonja making out. Sonja's make out drunken lust face was just,  Ew.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

Not the nudity so much but the hugging while nekkid, it is just too intimate in my mind for a friend and Bethany and Sonja making out. Sonja's make out drunken lust face was just,  Ew.

I agree. Sonja is EW.

• Love 3

Funny thing for me is for all Beth's endless promotion for her products (see the Skinnygirl on the shelf), Heather wins with Lu coming to breakfast in Turks wearing sunglasses and a Yummy bra given to her by Heather.  Be cool.  Don't be all uncool.  That bra got more positive mileage on social media, blogs, etc. than any Skinnygirl product has IMO.  Lu looked great.

LuAnn1.jpg

• Love 15
On 8/3/2017 at 0:28 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Then they were probably being literal.  Even New Yorkers who live in the other 4 boroughs refer to Manhattan as "the city" - like, the mainland.  They know all 5 comprise New York City.  She didn't create that people refer to Manhattan as THE city, as in Sex and The City.   It probably is legit shady but anywhere else in NY is an outer borough or upstate.

But if she were trying to distinguish her house from Jules in that way, wouldn't she do it by town name?  Her house is in Bridgehampton and Jules's house is in Watermill.  She can't geography-shade her, both are in Southampton.   Now that isn't to say she and Carole weren't rude, they were downright shitty - about how far out they had to drive just to have a schmear and renovations (?) and some other thing (memory nudge if ya'll can think of it).   All that was bad enough, but it wasn't a class thing.   

That's a bit debatable. I'm from The Bronx and I've never said I was going into the city. From what I know that's actually a big pet peeve of ours. I do know that Long Island and Staten Island tend to phrase it that way cause Long Island is more of a suburb so "the city" makes sense. I just recently notice that Staten Island uses the term also but when it comes to Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx I've never known anyone whoever considered Manhattan some place that is exclusively considered the city. Now as we get older we see and become aware that it's a "thing" but never have I know anyone to give into that concept and actually use that terminology. I would always say I'm going into Manhattan or Downtown never I'm going into the city because I was already in the city. I can't speak for everyone but from what I know the only native New Yorkers that use that terminology are Long Islanders or Staten Island. One being a suburb and not one of the boroughs  and the other not completely connected like the other 4 boroughs. (Only borough not connected to the subway system)

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

. But no one but Ramona Singer broke the 4th wall to remind them they couldn't do that. 

But the editors could have easily worked around/removed the comment, and didn't -- Ramona got the upper hand in that fight, with the blessing of the editors.

I don't always like Bethany. I couldn't stand her last year,  but people are so much more likely to pile on ANYTHING she does,  even if other women do it

She's also been given a pass (and sometimes even been defended) for some of the most disgusting behavior ever seen on the show - I think it all evens out in the end.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

That's a bit debatable. I'm from The Bronx and I've never said I was going into the city. From what I know that's actually a big pet peeve of ours. I do know that Long Island and Staten Island tend to phrase it that way cause Long Island is more of a suburb so "the city" makes sense. I just recently notice that Staten Island uses the term also but when it comes to Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx I've never known anyone whoever considered Manhattan some place that is exclusively considered the city. Now as we get older we see and become aware that it's a "thing" but never have I know anyone to give into that concept and actually use that terminology. I would always say I'm going into Manhattan or Downtown never I'm going into the city because I was already in the city. I can't speak for everyone but from what I know the only native New Yorkers that use that terminology are Long Islanders or Staten Island. One being a suburb and not one of the boroughs  and the other not completely connect like the other 4 boroughs. 

Yep.  It's always been downtown or Manhattan as far as I knew growing up.  Never been 'the city'. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, film noire said:

But the editors could have easily worked around/removed the comment, and didn't -- Ramona got the upper hand in that fight, with the blessing of the editors.

She's also been given a pass (and sometimes even been defended) for some of the most disgusting behavior ever seen on the show - I think it all evens out in the end.

I think it was another nail in the coffin. And every woman on these shows get a pass. Even repulsive Vickie.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

And every woman on these shows get a pass. Even repulsive Vickie.

Bethenny gets a boatload more passes, though -- she's forgiven/defended for being toxic, selfish and emotionally savage far more than Ramona, Zarin or Kelly ever were, imo. 

• Love 16

Not really about this episode, but I didn't get that Luanne was really in love with Tom. She was excited that he wanted to get married, and she was hopeful, but I don't think it was really love. I think that Tom is a little too pedestrian for her. And he looks like Uncle Fester. She did like his legs. But other than that, I'm not sure she was too attracted to him. I don't think it's that much of a loss for either of them, and no one thought it was going to last anyway. At least she got some nice trips out of it. LOL.

I found Bethanny more horrible than usual this episode. She is so rude to everyone, so high strung all the time, and uber controlling. I get that people weren't ready for dinner, but they were also drinking all day and probably feeling a little shitty and wanted to catch up with their business stuff, families, etc. She treats the women like her naughty children, and, to me, does not seem that much fun at all. I don't get the Skinny Girl promotion all the time, and I don't think anyone is jealous of her success. They all have money and I don't think anyone is even remotely interested in hustling as much as Bethanny. At least for me, I'd rather be nice and middle class than have Bethanny's life. She seems stressed constantly, is hyper-aware of branding, and does not seem to have an end goal. I don't know what she is chasing. 

• Love 17

Backing @ZaldamoWilder on "the city" colloquialisms/semantics. I lived in New York for moderate to long stretch of time in the aughties and our current decade.

Residents often referred to Manhattan interchangeably with "the city." 

When I asked a friend (a native of the outer limits of Queens) where she was from upon our introduction, she replied "upstate."

*editing to correct misattribution

Edited by lunastartron
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

This sparked a not well thought out thought from me and hopefully someone can flesh it out better: In the instance of Bethenny/ SkinnyGirl/jealousy, it isn't that the others are jealous, or that the posters here are jealous, they are just flipping sick of SG in general, in the same way that they are sick of hearing I'm getting married!! from Luann. You can be happy for someone's success, you can be not jealous of that success, and yet, you can be sick of it to the point where you just bust a gut over it. I am taken back to a previous episode, one of Ramona's talking heads, where she said she didn't really want to talk to Bethenny about the tequila tour, she was just sick of Bethenny always being Can we talk? Can we talk?? There's an elephant in the room, Can We Talk About IT?????.... People get sick of Bethenny and her schtick and it has nothing to do with jealousy, it is because she is an annoying as hell person.

eta @ZaldamoWilder first, not saying you are wrong with the jealousy part and acknowledging that many are discussing jealousy, your wording just sparked my long held thoughts about it and second, dang girl, Rocking the new doo in your avatar!

I think you said it well. I'm sick to death of the Skinny Girl shit all the time, and Bethanny constantly negotiating her SG line. She was at Carole's election party, but also, Carole's election party was highly decorated and featured SG products all over. I don't think the women want to feel pressured to have to push her product in order to be friends with her or have her be nice to them. The only one that she is nice to is Carole, who coincidentally, is the only one who actively pushes her SG products. I don't think a single person is jealous of Bethanny, but sick of having to put up with her and the pressure of behaving the way she wants them too.

I DO however think Bethanny is a jealous of Luanne, and I think Carole is maybe a bit Jealous of her too. And Sonja is ragingly jealous of Tinsley. But NO ONE wants to work as hard as Bethanny. If anything, I think maybe Bethanny is jealous of the other women that they don't have to work even close to as hard as she does to have a nice life. 

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, lunastartron said:

Backing @ZaldamoWilder on "the city" colloquialisms/semantics. I lived in New York for moderate to long stretch of time in the aughties and our current decade.

When I asked a friend (a native of the outer limits of Queens) where she was from upon our introduction, she replied "upstate."

I always love how everything that isn't Manhattan seems to be upstate.  My husband went to college 30 minutes outside of the city and people refer to it as being upstate.  Cracks me up. 

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, lunastartron said:

Sorry.  But no.  Upstate?  If you're from one of the boroughs?   Nope. I grew up in the Bronx.  Manhattan was not 'the city'.  A native is different from a resident.  And a native always get precedence over a resident. 

And how did we even get even into this discussion?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lunastartron said:

What is outer limits Queens? (Sounds suspiciously like Long Island... Queens spills into Long Island pretty seamlessly).

People who are born and raised in the boroughs grow up with the understanding the Manhattan is just another borough. Obviously the center of interest but still one of 5 boroughs that make up New York City. 

Outsiders tend to refer to the boroughs as some "outter" portion of New York I.E. Manhattan but natives actually understand that Manhattan is only a piece of the city just like the other 4 boroughs. 

There are plenty of residents who MOVE to New York with these preconceived ideas of the make up of New York and therefore use that terminology however I would bet that you'd be hard pressed to find someone whose been born and raised in The Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens who ever considered Manhattan as "The City" 

Transplants who have moved there and have lived there for years and years still wouldn't have had the imbedded pride a native New Yorker has with regards to being from New York. How we see the city as a whole and how much a part of it we are. Its a completely ridiculous misconception that  native New Yorkers would even consider minimizing our ties and connection to New York, assigning more importance to Manhattan by referring to it as "the city" which would imply our borough is not. 

Its actually a pretty unconscious thing. It's not like we focus on not using the terminology. It's that we usually don't even know it's a thing while growing up so its not even a part of our dialogue about New York. 

13 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Sorry.  But no.  Upstate?  If you're from one of the boroughs?   Nope. I grew up in the Bronx.  Manhattan was not 'the city'.  A native is different from a resident.  And a native always get precedence over a resident. 

And how did we even get even into this discussion?

West Palm Beach, Palm Beach debacle.

Someone use this as some sort of comparison up thread. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 7

I'd pretty much agree that no one is jealous of Bethenny's success with Skinnygirl. Maybe sick of the screen time she gets and the edit she gets on the show, though... So I have to wonder if that was partly what Dorinda's drunken frustrated ramble was about. Feeling as though the whole show revolved around Bethenny's business. Like, can you have a gathering without your product placements, lady? (And yeah I get that this one was obviously Skinnygirl focused--and I still would think it's rude to be making critical/jaded remarks during the trip, Ramona--but I can see the frustration just popping out, especially given that we are talking Dorinda here.) Are there any other franchises where product is shilled so consistently and frequently? 

3 HOURS AGO, DIADOCHOKINESIS SAID:

I always love how everything that isn't Manhattan seems to be upstate. My husband went to college 30 minutes outside of the city and people refer to it as being upstate. Cracks me up. 

Hilarious. My dad was from Westchester County and I used to explain it as "upstate." At some point I was duly corrected. ;) I changed my description to "about an hour outside of NYC" and then to "where the Clintons moved, but not as expensive of an area."

My dad's side of the family--born and bred New Yorkers (New York State-ers?) going back generations* and still there--refer to going to the Bronx, or Brooklyn, or Manhattan, but all are implicitly NYC. Yes there's an aspect of Manhattan being The Big City--but it's all The City. 

* Please excuse the Pete Campbell-esque digression; I'm very proud of my NY roots despite the fact I've never lived there 

• Love 5
Just now, ivygirl said:

I'd pretty much agree that no one is jealous of Bethenny's success with Skinnygirl. Maybe sick of the screen time she gets and the edit she gets on the show, though... So I have to wonder if that was partly what Dorinda's drunken frustrated ramble was about. Feeling as though the whole show revolved around Bethenny's business. Like, can you have a gathering without your product placements, lady? (And yeah I get that this one was obviously Skinnygirl focused--and I still would think it's rude to be making critical/jaded remarks during the trip, Ramona--but I can see the frustration just popping out, especially given that we are talking Dorinda here.) Are there any other franchises where product is shilled so consistently and frequently? 

Hilarious. My dad was from Westchester County and I used to explain it as "upstate." At some point I was duly corrected. ;) I changed my description to "about an hour outside of NYC" and then to "where the Clintons moved, but not as expensive of an area."

My dad's side of the family--born and bred New Yorkers (New York State-ers?) going back generations* and still there--refer to going to the Bronx, or Brooklyn, or Manhattan, but all are implicitly NYC. Yes there's an aspect of Manhattan being The Big City--but it's all The City. 

* Please excuse the Pete Campbell-esque digression; I'm very proud of my NY roots despite the fact I've never lived there 

I would love to move back to NYC but we are stuck in Dubai for God knows how long. My husband has said if we move and manage to get NYC, he wants Westchester or Connecticut. Meanwhile, I'm going, Manhattan!  I'm not a bridge and tunnel girl. 

• Love 1

Heather wins with Lu coming to breakfast in Turks wearing sunglasses and a Yummy bra given to her by Heather.  Be cool.  Don't be all uncool.  That bra got more positive mileage on social media, blogs, etc. than any Skinnygirl product has IMO.  Lu looked great.

I don't think most people were even aware of the bra and who made it.

I think SG products have pretty much dwarfed any other product on SM when it comes to products from this show. Yummy included.

Bethenny gets a boatload more passes, though -- she's forgiven/defended for being toxic, selfish and emotionally savage far more than Ramona, Zarin or Kelly ever were, imo. 

Mileage definitely varies on that...

Not really about this episode, but I didn't get that Luanne was really in love with Tom. She was excited that he wanted to get married, and she was hopeful, but I don't think it was really love. I think that Tom is a little too pedestrian for her. And he looks like Uncle Fester. She did like his legs. But other than that, I'm not sure she was too attracted to him. I don't think it's that much of a loss for either of them, and no one thought it was going to last anyway. At least she got some nice trips out of it. LOL.

Lu comes off as someone desperate for companionship and/or someone desperate for a storyline. Neither is a good look on her. But hey, at least she has secured her storyline and place on the show for next year.

Jealousy doesn't appear as an explanation until or unless one of the women start talking about SG.  From her perspective, it, and her accompanying success have no other logical reason to bother them.

Amen.

I DO however think Bethanny is a jealous of Luanne, and I think Carole is maybe a bit Jealous of her too

I really doubt either of them are jealous of Luann in any way. Especially these days.

• Love 12

Everyone I know has always said they were going into "the city" when referring to going into Manhattan from Brooklyn, etc. A couple of my friends are natives, many are not. Regardless, Westchester is most definitely not "upstate" but I've heard that many times too. 

6 hours ago, film noire said:

Wow, really? I've definitely not gotten that from these boards. I think even those of us who like her have often commented about her more awful moments in a negative way. I don't know anything about Kelly because I stopped watching because of her. 

8 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Funny thing for me is for all Beth's endless promotion for her products (see the Skinnygirl on the shelf), Heather wins with Lu coming to breakfast in Turks wearing sunglasses and a Yummy bra given to her by Heather.  Be cool.  Don't be all uncool.  That bra got more positive mileage on social media, blogs, etc. than any Skinnygirl product has IMO.  Lu looked great.

LuAnn1.jpg

100% - I totally bought that bra because of how amazing/cool Lu looked in it!

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 11

100% - I totally bought that bra because of how amazing/cool Lu looked in it!

Me too!

As for exposure for product, I think in all the franchises it is in direct proportion to the success of the product and involvement of the HW.  Vickie's insurance rivals SG for mentions and exposure.  I swear she moved offices just to have a her insurance discussed.  All of them try.  The booze, the clothing lines etc. but lets face it SG just has more to talk about.  I think if Heather was still on it would be Yummy this and Yummy that.  She had parties for launches, business meetings in London, all kinds of things.  So SG is just one of many.

• Love 13

So no HW ever uninvited another on a trip? Didn't Ro uninvite Jill to Scary Island and she showed up anyway to create drama? So there was that and everyone including Ro forgot that one.

Ugh sorry, my edit thingies all disappeared and I couldn't fix anything.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

What is outer limits Queens? (Sounds suspiciously like Long Island... Queens spills into Long Island pretty seamlessly).

People who are born and raised in the boroughs grow up with the understanding the Manhattan is just another borough. Obviously the center of interest but still one of 5 boroughs that make up New York City. 

Outsiders tend to refer to the boroughs as some "outter" portion of New York I.E. Manhattan but natives actually understand that Manhattan is only a piece of the city just like the other 4 boroughs. 

There are plenty of residents who MOVE to New York with these preconceived ideas of the make up of New York and therefore use that terminology however I would bet that you'd be hard pressed to find someone whose been born and raised in The Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens who ever considered Manhattan as "The City" 

Transplants who have moved there and have lived there for years and years still wouldn't have had the imbedded pride a native New Yorker has with regards to being from New York. How we see the city as a whole and how much a part of it we are. Its a completely ridiculous misconception that  native New Yorkers would even consider minimizing our ties and connection to New York, assigning more importance to Manhattan by referring to it as "the city" which would imply our borough is not. 

Its actually a pretty unconscious thing. It's not like we focus on not using the terminology. It's that we usually don't even know it's a thing while growing up so its not even a part of our dialogue about New York. 

West Palm Beach, Palm Beach debacle.

Someone use this as some sort of comparison up thread. 

Queens is on Long Island. (So is Brooklyn, for that matter) Eastern Queens segues into Nassau Co. (Which we call Nassau) and Suffolk Co (Suffolk).  The Hamptons are Eastern Suffolk, on the South Fork.  I live on the North Fork, which is where the farms and wineries are. We get a fair amount of tourism these days, as the "Un-Hamptons."  We call people from Western Suffolk & Nassau "UpIslanders" and people from all boroughs as "citidiots." Sorry, guys. I love the city but so many City People who come out here are ridiculous.  We call Westchester, Westchester, not Upstate. North of Yonkers is Upstate, LOL. 

If  I said I was going "Into the city" I would mean Manhattan. If I was going to Brooklyn, I would say that. Same for Queens, SI and the Bronx.

• Love 6
On August 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

Ha - apples and oranges indeed!  Or to look at it another way, comparing RHoOC to RHoNY is like comparing West Palm Beach  to Palm Beach. They share part of a name, but one is much more enjoyable place to hang out at than the other. 

Brilliant. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

So no HW ever uninvited another on a trip? Didn't Ro uninvite Jill to Scary Island and she showed up anyway to create drama? So there was that and everyone including Ro forgot that one.

Ugh sorry, my edit thingies all disappeared and I couldn't fix anything.

No, Jill was not uninvited. She initially declined because she and Bobby already had plans (a vacation I think) but Ramona kicked her out when she showed up unannounced because Bethenny/Alex didn't want Jill there after how Kelly went BSC on them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MamaMax said:

Queens is on Long Island. (So is Brooklyn, for that matter) Eastern Queens segues into Nassau Co. (Which we call Nassau) and Suffolk Co (Suffolk).  The Hamptons are Eastern Suffolk, on the South Fork.  I live on the North Fork, which is where the farms and wineries are. We get a fair amount of tourism these days, as the "Un-Hamptons."  We call people from Western Suffolk & Nassau "UpIslanders" and people from all boroughs as "citidiots." Sorry, guys. I love the city but so many City People who come out here are ridiculous.  We call Westchester, Westchester, not Upstate. North of Yonkers is Upstate, LOL. 

If  I said I was going "Into the city" I would mean Manhattan. If I was going to Brooklyn, I would say that. Same for Queens, SI and the Bronx.

You just made my point. This terminology comes from your "neck of the woods" so to speak and us natives understand your logic around that. Outsiders and transplants are the ones who dicombobulate it and assume it's also an inner city culture which it's not. At this point it's trickled in and many have incorrectly adopted the habit. However for those growing up there I can't imagine anyone starting off thinking that when they hop on the train from Brooklyn to Manhattan they would consider it "going into the city". There would be no actual basis for that sort mindset while growing up there. No reason for that terminology to come up. 

• Love 3

On WWHL Beth explained why she was so animated about the others being late for dinner.  When Sonja was drunk making out with Beth, someone  (Carole, I think she said) tried to come to her rescue by saying everyone was getting ready to sit down to dinner.  Beth didn't understand it was just an excuse to rescue her, and took it at face value.

So she hurried to get ready for dinner, then found herself sitting alone at the table.

No one else knew this had happened either.

So Beth was irritated...and everyone was irritated at her irritation.  

It was just a perfect storm for conflict (plus the drinking without eating)

• Love 9
On 8/4/2017 at 10:19 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

DANG!, @eXiled!  I laughed out REAL loud at that and got the stink eye from everybody else who's out nearby, enjoying this gorgeous night!  

Dunno if you meant to reference those weird radio ads where they say  "talk to Big Lou" because he is "like you" and on heart meds, or overweight, or paying multiple alimonies, or something, and Big Lou can save you from some kind of distress -- buying life insurance, maybe? But it sounded like it and it was funny!!!

Oh me.  I hope this made sense. Paralleling Big Lou of sketchy life insurance policies with Big Lu as Sonja's potential savior ("she thought Tom liked her special, too!") cracks me up. Thank you for a much needed guffaw.

Glad to make you laugh. This board is great for that, isn't it? It's seriously one of the best places to snark on the RHONYs!

I have no idea who Big Lou the Sketchy Life Insurance Dude is. Alas, Big Lu is simply how I refer to Luann in my own head. I say it with affection though. Her bitchy co-stars love implying she's manly, yet her she comes off so effortless and comfortable most of the time that I can't help admiring her haughty ass. I know she'll bounce back after this Tom foolishness, as well. Even during her darkest hours, she'll never let the public or her so-called friends see her sweat.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Why do they list Jill/Ramona and the VI trip? Even they say she was invited but declined and was only turned away when she showed up unannounced when they were already there and after Kelly had her melt down and left! LOL

According to their list, Ramona was not invited on the London trip, which was at the beginning of the season, so it was not the "girls trip". Luann was not initially invited on the trip last season, then Bethenny said she could go to her but changed her mind again but there was no Mexico trip and Luann did go to Miami which was considered the "girls trip" last season. Dorinda disinvited Sonja but she was initially invited and once again, this was not the "girls trip" either. And although Ramona was not invited at first (Mexico), she went nonetheless and even got invited to the tequila trip! LOL Soooooo, no one has never really been cut out of the "girls trip", aka/the all cast trip. LOL

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

She is so rude to everyone, so high strung all the time, and uber controlling

Cocaine does that- I often wondered if she was on something? Everything is so stretched to the limit with her especially her face

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Why do they list Jill/Ramona and the VI trip? Even they say she was invited but declined and was only turned away when she showed up unannounced when they were already there and after Kelly had her melt down and left! LOL

According to their list, Ramona was not invited on the London trip, which was at the beginning of the season, so it was not the "girls trip". Luann was not initially invited on the trip last season, then Bethenny said she could go to her but changed her mind again but there was no Mexico trip and Luann did go to Miami which was considered the "girls trip" last season. Dorinda disinvited Sonja but she was initially invited and once again, this was not the "girls trip" either. And although Ramona was not invited at first (Mexico), she went nonetheless and even got invited to the tequila trip! LOL Soooooo, no one has never really been cut out of the "girls trip", aka/the all cast trip. LOL

In many ways Jill showing up and being declined  was worse and great evidence of why Jill clearly has no business trying to be a producer and manipulate storylines.  I do think the St. John's trip the producers wanted everyone to go and it was a fabulous first trip across all the franchises.  Luann claimed she was asked and turned it down citing her daughter's birthday. 

There are some plot devices they really need to lose.  They invite/not invited to a trip and the Ramona/Sonja room search to name a couple. 

• Love 3

So, anyone want to speculate with me why Tinsley kept so covered up in Mexico?  While I loved her coverups, I wonder why she stayed covered head to toe the entire trip.  I think she has a cute figure, and wish she would have relaxed a bit more with her attire.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ButterQueen said:

So, anyone want to speculate with me why Tinsley kept so covered up in Mexico?  While I loved her coverups, I wonder why she stayed covered head to toe the entire trip.  I think she has a cute figure, and wish she would have relaxed a bit more with her attire.  

Tinsley is smart enough to realize that any figure flaws (not really flaws but others' ideas of perfect figures) are greatly amplified and commented on until the end of time on these shows.  Here is a photo from five years ago and yes even her bikini has a bow and ruffles:  article-0-120A85CE000005DC-399_634x913.j

• Love 3

Tinsley is smart enough to realize that any figure flaws (not really flaws but others' ideas of perfect figures) are greatly amplified and commented on until the end of time on these shows. 

Doesn't everything get amplified and commented on until the end of time on these shows? Fashion, food choices, how they act, how they react, etc? You'd have to wonder why she would appear on this show to begin with...given how much people have discussed her hair, eyebrows, and fashion.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I would love to move back to NYC but we are stuck in Dubai for God knows how long. My husband has said if we move and manage to get NYC, he wants Westchester or Connecticut. Meanwhile, I'm going, Manhattan!  I'm not a bridge and tunnel girl. 

Connecticut is soooo boring.  Definitely Manhattan or any one of the other boroughs.  I think more and more sections of Manhattan are becoming unbearable because of tourists and excess garbage.  

5 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Doesn't everything get amplified and commented on until the end of time on these shows? Fashion, food choices, how they act, how they react, etc? You'd have to wonder why she would appear on this show to begin with...given how much people have discussed her hair, eyebrows, and fashion.

It could be the paycheck and something to do (hobby). The dividend is that she gets a lot of attention. 

21 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Tinsley is smart enough to realize that any figure flaws (not really flaws but others' ideas of perfect figures) are greatly amplified and commented on until the end of time on these shows.  

And I think there's a difference between people snarking on things you can change & modify (hair, clothing, jewelry, facial fillers, botox, implants, etc) and things you can't (your body itself). Harder to handle the second, so maybe that's why she's more covered up -- mock my dress, hairstyle, eyebrows -- but not "me".

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

Possibly. Given how she reacted to Carole just suggesting she change her hairstyle, it seems she is very sensitive about her image.

Granted, all of this is speculation. We have no idea why she is covered up (or if she wasn't so covered up in some instances and the producers just didn't bother to use those scenes).

• Love 5
12 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

This sparked a not well thought out thought from me and hopefully someone can flesh it out better: In the instance of Bethenny/ SkinnyGirl/jealousy, it isn't that the others are jealous, or that the posters here are jealous, they are just flipping sick of SG in general, in the same way that they are sick of hearing I'm getting married!! from Luann. You can be happy for someone's success, you can be not jealous of that success, and yet, you can be sick of it to the point where you just bust a gut over it. I am taken back to a previous episode, one of Ramona's talking heads, where she said she didn't really want to talk to Bethenny about the tequila tour, she was just sick of Bethenny always being Can we talk? Can we talk?? There's an elephant in the room, Can We Talk About IT?????.... People get sick of Bethenny and her schtick and it has nothing to do with jealousy, it is because she is an annoying as hell person.

eta @ZaldamoWilder first, not saying you are wrong with the jealousy part and acknowledging that many are discussing jealousy, your wording just sparked my long held thoughts about it and second, dang girl, Rocking the new doo in your avatar!

I don't see Bethany begging to talk to Ramona. That is a level of delusion that is phenomenal, even for Ramona. 

I do agree that everyone is tired of the SG  talk,  but as someone with 15 years in marketing,  what she is doing and the debate it engenders is something no amount of money can buy.  It's the holy grail of word of mouth marketing and if you really don't like Bethany or want to help her sell,  ignore it.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, film noire said:

I agree and feel that Bethenny is given a pass a lot because she couches her insults, or screaming, or abuse with sarcasm or "funny" talking heads after.  She's abusive, calls people whores, etc. "You fuck EVERYONE" but then she does some humourous talking head after and people just laugh it off.  She's a mean person, but she adds some humour to it, and some of the audience forgets or forgives just how mean she is.

Ramona's not intentionally funny and she can't really do that biting sarcasm that everyone seems to be charmed by so I agree, Bethenny gets a lot of passes for her behaviour and I don't think she has it harder on the show than anyone else.  Any negativity people feel for her, she brought on herself.  

(edited thanks to @zoeysmom)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I do agree that everyone is tired of the SG  talk,  but as someone with 15 years in marketing,  what she is doing and the debate it engenders is something no amount of money can buy.  It's the holy grail of word of mouth marketing and if you really don't like Bethany or want to help her sell,  ignore it.

Even when it's bad word of mouth (how awful/sugary/high in carbs/etc the product is)? 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

So weird, these changes, just like when I went from loving Shannon Beador to now she really bugs the shit out of me.

These HoWives take me on a real roller coaster! I'm the same with Shannon right now. I think the only two I have consistently loved (while still calling them out when they act shitty) are Bethenny and Kyle. 

1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

From what I recall, there was some back and forth before the trip - about whether Jill would be going or not. It was a bit confusing. But I think the overall point was, Ramona DID have control over who went on this trip. Wasn't this the first actual time they all went away like that? I think that was actually a trip that RAMONA planned out, because of her vow renewal, and Bravo liked the idea and started doing trips every year. 

• Love 5

Even when it's bad word of mouth (how awful/sugary/high in carbs/etc the product is)? 

Depends, that's not the word of mouth I get for the booze products.  I'm sure the candy and bars are high but all of those things are.  The cocktails are good.  They are not the same as the high calorie alternatives.  But newsflash, soy bacon does not taste like pork bacon.  So people that drink the SG or other low cal cocktails accept that and figure 3 drinks for the price of 1.  It sells like hot cakes.  They can't keep it on the shelf.  It is on the bar at every BBQ that I've been to this summer.

The popcorn is fabulous.  The lime tastes better than any of the other low cal single serve bags.  And again, try to find it in stock.  People stalk it and when it shows up they go crazy and buy every thing on the shelf.

So YMMV but I get the opposite word of mouth.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

From what I recall, there was some back and forth before the trip - about whether Jill would be going or not. It was a bit confusing. But I think the overall point was, Ramona DID have control over who went on this trip. Wasn't this the first actual time they all went away like that? I think that was actually a trip that RAMONA planned out, because of her vow renewal, and Bravo liked the idea and started doing trips every year. 

No, Ramona didn't hesitate to invite either Jill or Luann on that trip and it was the first production planned "girls trip". Jill declined because she/Bobby had already paid for a vacation trip of their own around the same time and Luann had plans made already and didn't want to change them. Kelly hinted/broke the 4th wall when she declared that she "had no choice" about going on that trip, she didn't want to go at all at the reunion that year. Ramona was the "assigned" hostess, production planned and paid for that trip. LOL

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, film noire said:

Yeah.  Even then it takes so long for name recognition to happen and I mean. Even negative word of mouth marketing,  in this case isn't bad,  what we focus on in this forum is how annoying Bethany is with her constant branding,  but not that the product itself is bad. Not to say people don't say that,  but it isn't the main focus of the complaint.   So,  for a more casual reader/watcher of the show,  it helps. Really if any of the other women had been able to secure national distribution of their products,  and had a half way decent product to sell,  I think they could have blown up like Bethany did.

It's why I was so confused when Heather's partners didn't want her advertising on the show. Could there be a more targeted audience for her product? 

• Love 8