Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: In the Pink

(edited)

I have endured a lot of nonsense on The Originals because Charles Michael Davis is gorgeous, impossibly charming, and his voice... Actually he's a decent enough actor that he made Marcel's more irrational decisions seem like they made sense for his character. I think Davis' character will be a good foil for Kelsey.

Victor Webster. Still so hot 20 years later. First show I saw him in was Mutants vs Evil Andy Warhol (Mutant X).

Are they going to let Lauren in on Liza's secret?

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Hey, Victor Webster! He is always, always HOT AF to me. Yes to first seeing him in Mutant X - which was not good but he was so cute! Watched that show every week. He looks amazing with a beard. I was hoping he'd be a nice addition to the cast as the similar age love interest (since we have to have those on these shows) but not quite as staid and reserved as Charles, and also not her boss!

Really what did Lauren think would happen? as soon as the friends saw her book, I knew the BF would see it as well. Who the hell would be ok with being "graded" like that. It's so offensive. 

I wish I had sexy, flirtatious interactions with work "rivals' like Kelsey did with that guy. They couldn't have telegraphed it harder during the episode that they are going to hook up.  On a totally shallow note, I am eternally distracted by Hilary Duff's mouth when she speaks. Did she have too much lip injections, have something done to her teeth? I can't figure it and it distracts me!

Glad Liza got a promotion.

I couldn't be less interested in Josh and the assistant.

Ok, they know about the Crown in this episode but last time they didn't know about Black Mirror which is also on Netflix? Alright. 

• Love 4

Wow.  Victor Webster's been playing a few ManWhores-of-a-certain-age lately (he serviced Lisa Edelstein on Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce).

I liked Lauren's Dr!  So of course he was doomed.

• Love 2

I had no idea that guy was the former Nicholas Alamain from Days of our Lives a million years ago, and i saw him on Girlfriend's Guide too. He was, to me, a generically handsome younger man, but dayum, he's a sexy bearded older gent. I was hoping he'd stick around. Too bad he's just a one night cad. His automatic assumption that Liza was 20 something was...silly.

Liza's weird tan jumpery thing over a buttoned up blouse was fairly fug. Nice to see Kelsey being a good friend to her again.

I just looked up to see who played the pink clad author who died on the can (pretty ignominioius, but, at least, fast) and it's Lois Smith, who has literally been around forever..she was in East of Eden with James Dean back in the 50s. I kind of like the edict that one must wear pink to her funeral. I also kind of thought they might subplot off into Liza keeping her brand and writing romance novels to appeal to young feminists, starting with the novel titled "Men are Just Candy'.

I kept trying to place where I knew Kate Hudson-y Montana from...she was Portia in "Search Party'....I loved Portia! Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I like Montana. I don't mind her with Josh.

• Love 4

Victor Webster is quite the silver fox. (At first I thought he might have been the guy who played Mr. Too Big on SatC, but that was John Enos III.) Diego's lie is bigger than Liza's, IMO.

I love Lois Smith. She had an amazing guest turn on The Americans that was criminally overlooked at Emmy time that year. I wish her character here hadn't died on the toilet. It was a ignoble, to say the least. I loved her pink funeral too, but it would have been nice if she'd stuck around and the show bored down into why romance novels are sneered at when they're a multibillion-dollar part of publishing.

Charles isn't that great a businessman if he can promote Liza but not give Diana a full-time assistant. It's great Liza has the promotion and raise, but she's still doing two jobs, and she'll likely have more Millennial responsibilities. This will not end well, I imagine. Diana's department has to be more than two people, right? Pull in someone else, or hire a part-timer.

I'd break up with someone too if I found out I was being graded. Eesh. Lauren set herself up for that.

9 hours ago, msani19 said:

Ok, they know about the Crown in this episode but last time they didn't know about Black Mirror which is also on Netflix? Alright. 

They are very different shows. And Liza wasn't the one who suggested watching The Crown.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They are very different shows. And Liza wasn't the one who suggested watching The Crown.

It was Maggie, tho, and she didn't know about Black Mirror either. But both are on Netflix. I don't watch The Crown, but I've surely heard of it, and seen it listed on Netflix, when I go to watch Black Mirror. It's just a weird little inconsisentcy that these NYC women, one in the arts, one in publishing, who both watch Netflix, would have no idea what Black Mirror was.

• Love 4

The architect guy assuming Liza was in her 20s just by looking at her got a big eye roll from me. This is the fourth season and SF is aging faster than her character and even strangers assuming she's young is straining credulity. It's one thing if she tells you her age and you think, "Oh okay, so she just looks a little old for her age," as people do. But looking at her and thinking she's in her 20s is starting to get laughable. Anyway, what a sleazeball. But I guess a sleazeball is the best way to go for one's first rebound hookup. So once again Liza has two full-time jobs, both of which are MORE than full-time, with a small pay bump. Has this publishing house never heard of interns, for frick's sake? Come on now. I'm glad Montana told Liza right away and we didn't have secret shenanigans. (By the way even though I put paragraph breaks in my post, it never works! We'll see this time, but apologies if it's a mess. The formatting on this site for some reason never works for me.)

• Love 7

That's lame that Liza got promoted but yet still does two jobs. As gesundheit said, why not contact a temp agency get some interns who would kill for experience in a publishing house.

Who is styling Sutton on this show? They should be fired. That tan dress thing was horrid.

I now know what Elle Woods' funeral will look like.

I hate Lauren. Why are Kelsey and Liza friends with her?

She's still not divorced from her ex?

Gross sleaze architect. Don't sleep with someone you don't know. Ick! 

• Love 5

The entire way the promotion was done was so odd. Have the writers not worked in an office? Usually a promotion is offered and then there's some haggling about the raise and job duties, a new description needs to be approved or signed by both parties and then once the money is figured out, the promotion is accepted. I've never in my life seen anyone be like "Hey, here's your box of business cards because you've been promoted! We'll talk about money later. And there's no negotiation on job duties . . . Congrats!"

At three different jobs and three different companies (two different industries) I've received promotions and in all three situations the boss schedules a one-on-one meeting and says "We'd like to promote you and your job title would be _____ and we can pay you $5,000 more a year." and I say "I was hoping for 10,000 more" and they say "No, we can do $7,000 more and that's it." and so on. And then I get a copy of the job description and the new salary and what date it is effective and you sign it and then they make an announcement. So weird.

Liza needs to sign the damn papers on that divorce. 

• Love 4
(edited)

As someone who works in publishing, I can say Liza's promotion wasn't too unrealistic. You can't always negotiate the raise, especially at the junior level. (Liza's new title is assistant editor, which is one step above the entry-level editorial assistant.) I never signed anything about any raises/promotions I got, which again is likely because of the junior level. Liza is still building an author list, so if she's lured away (are they just dropping Aasif Mandvi's story?) it's not like the company loses too much.

The only thing I give a real side-eye to is Liza working in both editorial and marketing. There is some natural overlap, of course, but people don't do both, even in a smallish company like Empirical. The sales and marketing staffs are generally separate. Diana sells books for all the imprints, so it's not as if losing Liza full-time to Millennium means we never see her again.

Then again, Miriam Shor is criminally underused no matter what Liza does.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, msani19 said:

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It was Maggie, tho, and she didn't know about Black Mirror either. But both are on Netflix. I don't watch The Crown, but I've surely heard of it, and seen it listed on Netflix, when I go to watch Black Mirror. It's just a weird little inconsisentcy that these NYC women, one in the arts, one in publishing, who both watch Netflix, would have no idea what Black Mirror was.

I was just having this discussion with my brother about the Netflix predictive algorithm. I tend to watch most of the more mainstream Netflix offerings like The Crown and Black Mirror. My brother watches all of these African and Indian movies and TV shows. Black Mirror and The Crown don't even show up on his Netflix home screen. He would have to know about the shows from someone else and then specifically search for it because nothing he watches indicates that he'd be interested in those shows.

Who is styling Sutton on this show? They should be fired. That tan dress thing was horrid.

Patricia Field (Sex and the City and Devil Wears Prada) and Jacqueline Demeterio (Ugly Betty).

http://people.com/style/younger-wardrobe-closet-tour-patricia-field/

I liked the top of the tan dress, but the skirt was mullet hem. I hate that.

https://wornontv.net/younger/

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

It's entirely possible I misheard/misremembered her new title. Associate editor is one level above assistant editor; still rather junior. Editor is when you start getting decent autonomy, and that's when you typically have your own assistant. Assistant and associate editors are still usually working under someone senior.

Oh definitely, I know Associate Editor is still fairly junior, but also patently absurd that she'd also be a more-than-full-time assistant to someone in Diana's position. Whatever happened to unpaid internships?! I thought all the kids were still complaining about having to do those. I had to do that crap for years just to get my foot in the door.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I was just having this discussion with my brother about the Netflix predictive algorithm. I tend to watch most of the more mainstream Netflix offerings like The Crown and Black Mirror. My brother watches all of these African and Indian movies and TV shows. Black Mirror and The Crown don't even show up on his Netflix home screen. He would have to know about the shows from someone else and then specifically search for it because nothing he watches indicates that he'd be interested in those shows.

Patricia Field (Sex and the City and Devil Wears Prada) and Jacqueline Demeterio (Ugly Betty).

oh, thanks for that link. Fun. And i like the mullet hem of the tan dress, but not the top, or, at least, not with that shirt. worn alone, or with a simpler, maybe black, shirt, i might not hate it. And it costs over a grand? Ack. I liked the green/teal midi dress with the denim jacket....which is appox. a $6000 outfit. ACK!!

All in all, I like Maggie's wardrobe better than anyone's.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Oh definitely, I know Associate Editor is still fairly junior, but also patently absurd that she'd also be a more-than-full-time assistant to someone in Diana's position. Whatever happened to unpaid internships?! I thought all the kids were still complaining about having to do those. I had to do that crap for years just to get my foot in the door.

Especially in Diana's department. They should be overrun with interns. There should be an army of interns helping Diana to set up all of her events.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

oh, thanks for that link. Fun. And i like the mullet hem of the tan dress, but not the top, or, at least, not with that shirt. worn alone, or with a simpler, maybe black, shirt, i might not hate it. And it costs over a grand? Ack. I liked the green/teal midi dress with the denim jacket....which is appox. a $6000 outfit. ACK!!

All in all, I like Maggie's wardrobe better than anyone's.

The shirt under it was awkward. Something simple and sleeveless would have worked better, IMO. It was a fussy hodgepodge. Maggie is one of the better dressed on the show.

• Love 2

Can't believe no one has mentioned that Victor Webster was also Phoebe's final love interest, the Cupid Coop, on Charmed! He looks very much the same - aged very well.

So excited to see Charles Michael Davis - what a voice! And such charisma. The Originals seems to be doing half-seasons now so hopefully the character will stick around for awhile.

Lois Smith was also Sookie's awesome grandma in the first season of True Blood, and many many other things.

I can't see how Liza could possibly trust Lauren with her secret, but with how often she hangs out with them, it's going to be hard - the "old people" bar was a dumb thing to invite her to.

I'm waiting for someone on this show - maybe Diana - to be told the secret, but the person already put it together, doesn't care, and kept it a secret (a la Cat Grant on Supergirl). Not everyone can be oh! so! betrayed!

• Love 2

@Moxie Cat, I think I mentioned this before, but I think Charles knows how old Liza is. I think that's one of the reasons he likes her. I don't think he'd be so attracted to her is he thought she was really 27.  I'm probably wrong though. 

So Lauren doesn't know Liza's age?  The whole time I was watching last night I thought she knew. I don't know why I thought that. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Gross sleaze architect. Don't sleep with someone you don't know. Ick! 

Yeah, I was waiting for the fallout on that one. If he's too handsome, there's always a catch. I'm honestly surprised that she didn't ask him if he was seeing anyone beforehand if she was willing to clear the air about her age. I'm also stunned that she was willing to trust him enough to reveal her secret after a one night stand - I get that you're on better terms with Kelsey now and it's a cathartic experience to be able to see people your own age but dang, don't get careless!

Kelsey's date was a lot more my speed and was definitely gorgeous - now I wonder what's wrong with him LOL.

I found myself more attracted to his style than his looks - I wish more men learned how to dress like that!

Edited by Eri
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Eri said:

Kelsey's date was a lot more my speed and was definitely gorgeous - now I wonder what's wrong with him LOL.

I found myself more attracted to his style than his looks - I wish more men learned how to dress like that!

He was very handsome and had great style. But he had a clothing allowance, so he better be a great dresser! What I could do with a clothing allowance! He's maybe a little "too" charming but I feel like it's the kind of charming that's played up specifically on TV shows.

I'd enjoy the flirtatious banter with him too, plus I wouldn't even pretend to be coy about it...I'd watch him walk away! 

• Love 1

This show is really straining hard to keep Josh in the picture. It's not quite on the same level as revealing a "twin" of the dead fiancé, but it's getting closer to being as forced. I never bought the fact that he would hang out with any of Liza's friends after the breakup. He's a young dude in an enormous city. He probably has countless other friends and hobbies that could take up his time.

Another episode, another eccentric writer. I have watched and listened to many writers interviewed, and most of them were remarkably ordinary/boring. I guess that wouldn't make for great TV, though.

• Love 2

The best thing about this episode: Diana's flamingo earrings.

The start of the episode was actually quite entertaining but I was meh about everthing that happened after the funeral. I wasn't keen on Liza hooking up with the architect and thought it was weird that Liza casualy told him about her age. I'm curious regarding the promo as to why Kelsey doesn't like Montana - I like her bubbly personality and that they chose to have her reveal her hookup with Josh to Liza right away. My money is still on Josh and Kelsey hooking up before this season is over (after she b*nged her gorgeous, confident, flirty rival and probably stole his writer too).

Lauren had it coming - I'm sorry  - girl, the time has come for you to work on yourself and figure out what you want, because you can't have it all at once.

• Love 1

Lauren is definitely one of those people who think that going against the grain makes her ipso facto interesting. I wonder if she has any self-knowledge about her values, sexuality, and desires beyond being outrageous (in her mind), and on-trend. She never seems to truly enjoy anything unless she's provoking a reaction from others. I wonder who she really is and what she really wants, and watching her figure it out would be infinitely more interesting to me than Liza's very tired, at this point, attempt to be a Gen X mom and millennial hotshot simultaneously. 

• Love 1
(edited)

(I will edit this if previously mentioned but....) 

Victor Webster was also in Sex and the City so he has a previous rapport with Darren Star.

He is in the first episode of Season 6 when Samantha moves into the new and hip (back then) meatpacking district (ha ha) and there's a super hot guy in her building.  And he was..... fiiiiiiiiiiiine as HELL in that episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Victor Webster was recently on the SyFy show, Continuum. 

I was going to make the same comment about Lauren. She likes to go against the grain and buck the trend. At first, it was dating people like Maggie. Then when that no longer shocked people, she went for the love interest that usually approves of but was sooooo unlike her, that it shocked people. But she gets bored and eventually ruins it. 

21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Looking through those pictures reminds me how much I hate Kesley's wardrobe.  Then again, I'm slightly older than Liza so I guess I just don't "get" millennial style.  Liza is hit or miss for me- mostly miss.

13 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned that Victor Webster was also Phoebe's final love interest, the Cupid Coop, on Charmed! He looks very much the same - aged very well.

THAT's where I know him from, lol!  I knew I recognized him but was too lazy to look him up.  I'm sorry, but at that age the first question you should pretty much be asking is "are you married".

12 hours ago, Maharincess said:

@Moxie Cat, I think I mentioned this before, but I think Charles knows how old Liza is. I think that's one of the reasons he likes her. I don't think he'd be so attracted to her is he thought she was really 27.  I'm probably wrong though. 

So Lauren doesn't know Liza's age?  The whole time I was watching last night I thought she knew. I don't know why I thought that. 

I REALLY don't think Charles knows how old she is.  That's part of why he acts the way he does (maybe also partially because he's her boss, but I think that's a much, much smaller part of it).  I think he's a bit ashamed to be so attracted to someone so young.  I think there's actually going to be a huge sigh of relief from him when he learns the truth.

No, Lauren doesn't know yet which is why she was being so obnoxious in the grown-up bar.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, GenL said:

No, Lauren doesn't know yet which is why she was being so obnoxious in the grown-up bar.

I don't think Lauren needs to know Liza's real age to not be obnoxious in a grownup bar. Heh.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, GenL said:

Looking through those pictures reminds me how much I hate Kesley's wardrobe.  Then again, I'm slightly older than Liza so I guess I just don't "get" millennial style.  Liza is hit or miss for me- mostly miss.

THAT's where I know him from, lol!  I knew I recognized him but was too lazy to look him up.  I'm sorry, but at that age the first question you should pretty much be asking is "are you married".

I REALLY don't think Charles knows how old she is.  That's part of why he acts the way he does (maybe also partially because he's her boss, but I think that's a much, much smaller part of it).  I think he's a bit ashamed to be so attracted to someone so young.  I think there's actually going to be a huge sigh of relief from him when he learns the truth.

Kelsey's wardrobe vacilates between ok, occasionally cute, and hideous. I thought Kelsey's pink funeral thing was a 5 car pile up.

You are so right about Victor Webster's character. He's an insanely hot and a rich architect. If he's not married, then he's Jian Ghomeshi, Jeffrey Epstein, Fred Armisen, or any of these gross men that the New York Housewives seem to date. Run.

There is no way that Charles knows about Liza's age. They have so much in common. Both of them are primary caretakers of their children. Both have financial issues, Charles is concerned with keeping Empirical afloat and Liza just has her money issues because of her ex.

Lauren, ugh!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:37 AM, msani19 said:

On a totally shallow note, I am eternally distracted by Hilary Duff's mouth when she speaks. Did she have too much lip injections, have something done to her teeth? I can't figure it and it distracts me!

She had veneers done a few years ago. The first result was total horse mouth. She had them "revised", and they looked A LOT better, but they are still a tad too big. Now go have fun Googling "Hilary Duff teeth"!

(edited)

And i like the mullet hem of the tan dress, but not the top, or, at least, not with that shirt. worn alone, or with a simpler, maybe black, shirt, i might not hate it. And it costs over a grand?

I think some of the wardrobe choices they make for the characters are honestly bizarre.  The tan mullet dress with the man's oxford style shirt was just weird, particularly for the office.  And the funeral choices, with putting Diana is that huge oversized pink coat, or Kelsey in some poorly fitted pink mess that made her look twenty pounds heavier than she actually is. 

As someone who works in publishing, I can say Liza's promotion wasn't too unrealistic. You can't always negotiate the raise, especially at the junior level. (Liza's new title is assistant editor, which is one step above the entry-level editorial assistant.) I never signed anything about any raises/promotions I got, which again is likely because of the junior level. Liza is still building an author list, so if she's lured away (are they just dropping Aasif Mandvi's story?) it's not like the company loses too much.

I also think Liza's really not in a position to be negotiating anything.  The show is kind of all over the place on the topic, but if it comes down to it, it's not like Liza can just walk away to another job.  At some point, her ruse would be found out.  I don't think they would care as much at Empirical, as Liza has built up a lot of good will, but a new job may not be so understanding.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
On 7/20/2017 at 10:44 AM, dubbel zout said:

Charles isn't that great a businessman if he can promote Liza but not give Diana a full-time assistant. It's great Liza has the promotion and raise, but she's still doing two jobs, and she'll likely have more Millennial responsibilities. This will not end well, I imagine. Diana's department has to be more than two people, right? Pull in someone else, or hire a part-timer.

Is the company still struggling for money?  I wonder if that's the reason Liza is still doing her old job.  Although I have to say this doesn't seem completely implausible to me.  I've seen this kind of thing happen in the corporate world many times.  I knew a few "managers" at my old job that were still admin. assistants with a glorified title and a raise.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:44 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Victor Webster was also in Sex and the City so he has a previous rapport with Darren Star.

He is in the first episode of Season 6 when Samantha moves into the new and hip (back then) meatpacking district (ha ha) and there's a super hot guy in her building.  And he was..... fiiiiiiiiiiiine as HELL in that episode.

Thanks, now I know why he looked so deliciously familiar to me!

On 7/22/2017 at 7:58 PM, txhorns79 said:

I think some of the wardrobe choices they make for the characters are honestly bizarre.  The tan mullet dress with the man's oxford style shirt was just weird, particularly for the office.  And the funeral choices, with putting Diana is that huge oversized pink coat, or Kelsey in some poorly fitted pink mess that made her look twenty pounds heavier than she actually is.

I see Patty Field's wardrobe choices are still annoying people - They annoy me too.  I never thought they bore any resemblance to what most women really wear in NYC no matter the career, age bracket or walk of life.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Is the company still struggling for money?  I wonder if that's the reason Liza is still doing her old job.

I don't know if the company is struggling per se, but I think things are always a bit precarious. Empirical is an independent publisher.

One reason Liza is still doing her old job is because the plot demands it, of course. IRL, editorial and marketing are different departments. People don't straddle those two jobs.

I see Patty Field's wardrobe choices are still annoying people - They annoy me too.  I never thought they bore any resemblance to what most women really wear in NYC no matter the career, age bracket or walk of life.

They just seem ridiculously impractical and silly for someone working in a normal office environment.  At least with a show like Ugly Betty, there was the excuse that they worked for a fashion magazine so characters putting together "fashion forward" looks made some sense.  Here, it's like the costumer has no idea how normal people dress.   

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

One reason Liza is still doing her old job is because the plot demands it, of course. IRL, editorial and marketing are different departments. People don't straddle those two jobs.

Not usually but I've worked in publishing and done pretty much this. Worked for one department, wanted to work for the other. My nominal boss was like 'eh, so long as you get your work for me done first, knock yourself out' and my editor was thrilled because he got a part-time assistant on someone else's budget. That said, it was at my request and my official role was always in my original department, whereas this seems a lot more formalised - and I don't buy that no matter how small and short-staffed Empirical is, Diana would be doing the marketing for Millennial. 

I'm glad Liza's got her bad pancake out of the way, but I in no-way buy that he thought she was in her twenties based on seeing her across a bar. I don't even understand why they put anything in about him thinking she was - they could have had her approach him and if her age came up he could have guessed she was in her 30s. It's not like people in their 30s never go to bars with people in their 20s, and it's not Kelsey looks outrageously young either - Hillary Duff is 29. He could have put them both in their 30s without it being weird, especially with Kelsey in that outfit. 

On 7/20/2017 at 7:33 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I'm waiting for someone on this show - maybe Diana - to be told the secret, but the person already put it together, doesn't care, and kept it a secret (a la Cat Grant on Supergirl). Not everyone can be oh! so! betrayed!

JesusMaryJoseph, this is so exactly what I want for this show that I'm not even jealous that you thought of it first.  I just tweeted it to Darren Star, subtweet: "Get a clue!"  You get full credit, natch.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:22 AM, HunterHunted said:

You are so right about Victor Webster's character. He's an insanely hot and a rich architect. If he's not married, then he's Jian Ghomeshi, Jeffrey Epstein, Fred Armisen, or any of these gross men that the New York Housewives seem to date. 

Bwah!  Years ago, an older woman friend told me, "If he's over 30 & never been married/in a long-term relationship, there's something wrong with him."

Sounds harsh, but proved true over the years.

• Love 1

God, what was that pink monstrosity Kelsey was wearing?  I looked absolutely horrible.

And yeah, I can't believe anyone still thinks SF is in her 20s.  30s, sure, but not younger than that.  With that said, no way should they tell Lauren.  That girl cannot keep anything secret.

How is it that Liza still isn't divorced?  Its been over a year at least.

I definitely like the addition of Victor Webster.  I kindof hope he and Kelsey can work out a good relationship, though it might be hard if they are competitors.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

How is it that Liza still isn't divorced?  Its been over a year at least.

Part of it is her husband was dragging his heels. But I thought that after she was in the hospital last season, he realized that's what Liza truly wanted and said he'd sign the papers. I don't know if the actor isn't available (and they have a story planned) or if the technicality will become a plot point.

• Love 1

Was that what happened? I thought there was some point when her ex decided not to delay things any longer; he realized things were definitely over between them. Or maybe that was wishful thinking on my part. Heh.

The beginning of the episode with the romance author was so fun. I was really hoping that they would delve more into the whole romance novels aren't respected/romance novels rake in money for publishers. Even after the author died, they still could have explored it. There were so many non-romance authors at the funeral that I would guess at least some of them had read and liked her books. I feel like chick lit is now in the same place. People consider it a step above garbage, yet it sells really well.

I can't feel sorry for Lauren. First of all, the girl has no fucking tact. At least have the class not to loudly ask if you're at a retirement home just because the place where your friends are having drinks isn't full of 20-somethings. But secondly, if you're going to be dumb enough to keep a journal judging your perfectly nice boyfriend who clearly adores you, at least don't be stupid enough to take it out while he's still in the house. FFS. And now she's sad because the guy who she said was so boring that she wanted to yank out his beard gave her exactly what she wanted - an end to their relationship - so she's crying on her ex-girlfriend's shoulder? Nope, no sympathy from me.

I'm willing to give Montana a pass for sleeping with Josh because she really had no reason to think that she shouldn't. She met a guy who clearly wanted to sleep with her. She had no idea that Josh was Liza's very recent ex. I can understand not wanting to remain in an awkward position by working for Maggie since they're at the loft Maggie shares with Liza. I don't think she's evil for sleeping with Josh but I'm still convinced she is going to do something evil, like pass off  Maggie's painting as her own.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:14 PM, HunterHunted said:

I have endured a lot of nonsense on The Originals because Charles Michael Davis is gorgeous, impossibly charming, and his voice... Actually he's a decent enough actor that he made Marcel's more irrational decisions seem like they made sense for his character. I think Davis' character will be a good foil for Kelsey.

Same here. He has always played Marcel as charmingly confident, bordering on obnoxious but not quite crossing that line. His character on Younger is like a non-vampire version of Marcel, which I'm totally fine with. I wouldn't mind having him appear in a few more episodes here (especially because I'm 99% sure that Zane's presence won't result in death, bloodshed, or daggers of any kind).

On 7/20/2017 at 5:27 AM, luna1122 said:

I had no idea that guy was the former Nicholas Alamain from Days of our Lives a million years ago

Awwww, Nikki! I still remember when Vivian buried his mother alive. Good times! Liza was so stupid to tell him her secret. She met him like 24 hours ago and she's spilling her biggest secret to him? Not smart, Liza.

• Love 3

Oh my God, Coop from Charmed! It makes sense that he's in his mid-40's but seeing that salt and pepper makes me feel old.

I don't like Zane. That was creepy. And if Kelsey hadn't been into it, it was kind of sexual harassment even if they don't technically work together. That dopple-banger thing didn't count that older author she was having an affair but this is the first non-white guy she's been coupled with, isn't it?

Now Diego though... ;)

I liked Lauren's Dr!  So of course he was doomed.

I mean, I'm glad to see a Broadway actor collecting a paycheck but he was even less of a character than Lauren. He didn't need to be on this show.

but it would have been nice if she'd stuck around and the show bored down into why romance novels are sneered at when they're a multibillion-dollar part of publishing.

As usual, the show likes to comment on a topic without delving into it. But I forgive it more than other shows because it's more about the characters than the publishing world. Of course, it would be more interesting than recycling the same few plotlines.

The architect guy assuming Liza was in her 20s just by looking at her got a big eye roll from me. This is the fourth season and SF is aging faster than her character and even strangers assuming she's young is straining credulity. It's one thing if she tells you her age and you think, "Oh okay, so she just looks a little old for her age," as people do. But looking at her and thinking she's in her 20s is starting to get laughable. 

I can let that go. She was hanging with 20-somethings in a dark bar across the room from him. 

Liza, girl, there is NO reason to tell him your secret.