Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Talk

• Start Topic

Reza with the cats was like me on my last trip to Turkey and Greece. "Wow look at these ancient ruin -- oh look, KITTY!" I probably took as many pictures of all the different cats as I did of the beautiful sights. There was even a cat cleaning its butt in the Hagia Sophia (that's what I love about cats - they give no fucks). However, I did not feed them and throw food at their face or climb on dumpsters to pet them like Reza did.

kitty.jpg

• Love 12

Most poignant part was the dedication to Mike's late great aunt Emi at the end of the episode. I choked up for a second.

What does it say about these people that I feel more for someone who graced the screen for a mere minute or two than any of the Shahs?

• Love 9
On 8/8/2017 at 7:27 PM, Watermelon said:

I'm 1000% sure most American whites don't consider Iranians white.

Love your username! And yeah, I agree. Most American (and European) whites still mistake me (and I'm sure many many other Persians) for being Indian anyway. I just want to scream "WE'RE NOT ALL THE SAME!" every time someone says something like that, but then their fragile egos would be butthurt ;) I even had one guy ask me, "are you Punjabi or Sikh?". Excuse me? 

I just put "Other" on those ethnicity surveys because I refuse to be lumped in as "White/Caucasian". If I didn't feel like a second class American citizen and felt I had just as much privilege, then maybe. Just kidding, I like having my own cultural identity. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Juneau Gal said:

Okay, I just watched the episode and perhaps I am a bit touchy due to the events of the past weekend, but as Jew I want to slap GG all the way back to LA. 

Unfortunately GG's just an ignorant child that hasn't grown up since her teens! I knew she was a psycho early on with the animus she has for her sister! The b!tch actually threatened to stab her in the stomach when she was pregnant in front of her father! Everyone's let her behavior slide and I would have distanced myself from her ages ago! She has no redeeming values and her nonstop apology tour just has never cut it with me! Friendship isn't that hard! When you make a spectacle of yourself making an accusation about an x-rated tape, then can't produce it after ripping someone else's reputation, anything short of total contrition to GAWD wouldn't be acceptable! I'd tell her to go jump off a freakin' bridge! ;-(

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Juneau Gal said:

Okay, I just watched the episode and perhaps I am a bit touchy due to the events of the past weekend, but as Jew I want to slap GG all the way back to LA. 

I'm not Jewish, Christian or Moslem and I want to smack her 'till she learns some tolerance.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

I am Catholic and wanna do the same. Could she have been any more disrespectful? If her Jewish bf was there would she tell him it is "just a wall?"  Seriously...how can being there not move you one bit?  it is a Holy place.....even if you don't believe in that religion, aren't you at least moved emotionally by the history of it?  She really has something wrong with her emotionally...like she is stunted or something and the only emotion she can tap into is anger.

And how in the hell can she say Reza was being disrespectful to Muslims when THEY WERE AT A JEWISH DINNER and he was embracing it and thanking them?? She freaking was invited and went and then gets a puss face?  I do not really like Reza and I did not see any disrespect in what he said.  I really think she seriously looks for shit to get pissed at for no reason.  Not to mention that she went on and on when MJ showed up at her parent anniv party late and was all like " do not ever disrespect my family" yet she gets pissy faced in front of Mike's family for no reason?  

Don't even get me started on Asa and her bs. She is such a phony.....so now this season she is a Filmmaker?. lol 

I will say though that other than the occasional bs, I am enjoying this Israel trip because they are showing much more of the scenery and places whereas the last few trips have been them just laying around pool, getting drunk, getting massages and taking nude pics in the pool. Israel has never really been a thought to me as a destination and it is nice too see it and I have been pleasantly surprised....The landscape and seeing Jerusalem and Western Wall was so interesting....also hanging head in shame that I did not know Tel Aviv is on the water!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

I am Catholic and wanna do the same. Could she have been any more disrespectful? If her Jewish bf was there would she tell him it is "just a wall?"  Seriously...how can being there not move you one bit?  it is a Holy place.....even if you don't believe in that religion, aren't you at least moved emotionally by the history of it?  She really has something wrong with her emotionally...like she is stunted or something and the only emotion she can tap into is anger.

And how in the hell can she say Reza was being disrespectful to Muslims when THEY WERE AT A JEWISH DINNER and he was embracing it and thanking them?? She freaking was invited and went and then gets a puss face?  I do not really like Reza and I did not see any disrespect in what he said.  I really think she seriously looks for shit to get pissed at for no reason.  Not to mention that she went on and on when MJ showed up at her parent anniv party late and was all like " do not ever disrespect my family" yet she gets pissy faced in front of Mike's family for no reason?  

Don't even get me started on Asa and her bs. She is such a phony.....so now this season she is a Filmmaker?. lol 

I will say though that other than the occasional bs, I am enjoying this Israel trip because they are showing much more of the scenery and places whereas the last few trips have been them just laying around pool, getting drunk, getting massages and taking nude pics in the pool. Israel has never really been a thought to me as a destination and it is nice too see it and I have been pleasantly surprised....The landscape and seeing Jerusalem and Western Wall was so interesting....also hanging head in shame that I did not know Tel Aviv is on the water!

GG REALLY upset me with that "just a wall" comment. It's the wall OF A FORMER TEMPLE that dates back to around 500 BCE. If I called Al Aqsa "just a building,"would she be happy? No, I'm sure she'd say it was disrespectful, just as her talk of plowing down the Western Wall was.

Tel Aviv is on the freakin' Mediterranean! :D (I didn't really realize that until I went either)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

And how in the hell can she say Reza was being disrespectful to Muslims when THEY WERE AT A JEWISH DINNER

Because Reza didn't just say he felt welcomed by them he went out of his way to point out that he hadn't liked being in the Muslim section which there was no need to reference.

I had absolutely no problem with GG.She was respectful and sat quietly by herself and made her comments which were about seeing the wall as a barrier to understanding in her TH. Not everyone is moved emotionally by the Western Wall, I know I wasn't. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because Reza didn't just say he felt welcomed by them he went out of his way to point out that he hadn't liked being in the Muslim section which there was no need to reference.

I had absolutely no problem with GG.She was respectful and sat quietly by herself and made her comments which were about seeing the wall as a barrier to understanding in her TH. Not everyone is moved emotionally by the Western Wall, I know I wasn't. 

The not being moved part didn't bother me as much as her talk about wanting to plow it down.  (That, and that it's not just some random wall. It's one thing to not be moved by it but another to act like it's meaningless.)

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Why can't these people keep "something" to themselves? Why court the backlash when disparaging something religious or racial? Idiot! ;-(

• Love 3
Just now, ivygirl said:

The not being moved part didn't bother me as much as her talk about wanting to plow it down. 

She specifically said that in relation to her seeing it as a barrier to faiths coming together noting the temple and the mosque that are behind it.

• Love 2

The problem with GG's reference re: the Western Wall is that I was very much left to the belief that she thinks it is indeed a wall built to keep people out ala the proposed Mexico wall. I don't think she knows that it is the wall of a former temple. 

She doesn't have to revere it, but she does need to understand what it is and represents before she flaps her yap about it. 

Edited by Juneau Gal
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She specifically said that in relation to her seeing it as a barrier to faiths coming together noting the temple and the mosque that are behind it.

Then I guess she doesn't realize that if you tore down the wall, you're not just tearing down a barrier... you're tearing down the remainder  of an actual site of worship, which would be the opposite of promoting peace.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Then why did she even freaking go?. Seriously? Sitting off quietly WAS disrespectful. It was. Take your judgemental crab face and stay the fuck home. She knew they were going to the Wall, why did she even go?  She had attitide when they first brought up going to Israel...she should never have gone in the first place.

He felt welcomed by Mike family, and not the Muslims....perfectly ok for him to say that. He's Persian and was with Muslims and felt uncomfortable....I think he was surprised by that.. Then again they all acted like asshole Americans which was the root of the issue, not being Muslim or Jew.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Then I guess she doesn't realize that if you tore down the wall, you're not just tearing down a barrier... you're tearing down the remainder  of an actual site of worship, which would be the opposite of promoting peace.

No one accused her of being smart or informed but that seemed to me to be the sentiment she was expressing.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Juneau Gal said:

The problem with GG's reference re: the Western Wall is that I was very much left to the belief that she thinks it is indeed a wall built to keep people out ala the proposed Mexico wall. I don't think she knows that it is the wall of a former temple. 

She doesn't have to revere it, but she does need to understand what it is and represents before she flaps her yap about it. 

Amen. Thats what I was getting at but you said it so much better!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Cupcake04 said:

Seriously? Sitting off quietly WAS disrespectful. It was. Tak

How? Plenty of people stand or sit by themselves at the wall, people process it in all different ways there isn't one way to experience it particularly if you are not Jewish.

• Love 8

I think GG's upset, during the dinner was that she felt Reza was like, Jewish=safe; Muslim=unsafe.  Reza was like, THIS is beautiful but when I was in the MUSLIM part, I felt bad. I felt a bit uncomfortable myself when Reza said that.   

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

How? Plenty of people stand or sit by themselves at the wall, people process it in all different ways there isn't one way to experience it particularly if you are not Jewish.

C'mon, we all saw the same show....she didnt sit off to side to experience it quietly....she sat her ass down on the ground with an attitude and disparaged a Holy site.....openly mocking something isn't the only form of disrespect.  The other women went to cleanse their hands and they PARTICIPATED.....she sat her ass on the ground and said "it is just a wall.". I guaran-fucking-tee you that if Mike or Reza acted the way she did at a Muslim Holy site she would lose her shit.  

I would respect her so much if she had just said I don't feel comfortable going there today and just stayed at the hotel or done something else. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think GG's upset, during the dinner was that she felt Reza was like, Jewish=safe; Muslim=unsafe.  Reza was like, THIS is beautiful but when I was in the MUSLIM part, I felt bad. I felt a bit uncomfortable myself when Reza said that.   

But wasn't that the truth of the matter at the moment?  That is how it was shown to the viewers. I read something today from a Mike and Reza interview where they both said they were scared.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

C'mon, we all saw the same show....she didnt sit off to side to experience it quietly....she sat her ass down on the ground with an attitude and disparaged a Holy site..

I guess we all view things differently because that is not how I saw it at all. I saw her cover up, bathe herself and then walk around the site and sit down by herself not at all uncommon thing I have seen others do in the multiple times I have been there. Also, I just rewatched and they literally never showed her face when she was sitting down.

3 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

viewers. I read something today from a Mike and Reza interview where they both said they were scared.

And all we saw as viewers was people respectfully declining to talk on camera, offering free falafel and others engaging in a calm and respectful discussion.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

But wasn't that the truth of the matter at the moment?  That is how it was shown to the viewers. I read something today from a Mike and Reza interview where they both said they were scared.

That's not how Reza verbalized it.  And when GG tried to explain how it made her feel, Reza did what he always does, he made it all about himself.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

Then why did she even freaking go?. Seriously? Sitting off quietly WAS disrespectful. It was. Take your judgemental crab face and stay the fuck home. She knew they were going to the Wall, why did she even go?  She had attitide when they first brought up going to Israel...she should never have gone in the first place.

He felt welcomed by Mike family, and not the Muslims....perfectly ok for him to say that. He's Persian and was with Muslims and felt uncomfortable....I think he was surprised by that.. Then again they all acted like asshole Americans which was the root of the issue, not being Muslim or Jew.

Reza only became "uncomfortable" in the Muslim section/neighborhood when Mike got him worked up about them being there. Mike was disrespectful there, even more so than GG at the Western Wall, claiming they were going to be killed. 

1 minute ago, Cupcake04 said:

C'mon, we all saw the same show....she didnt sit off to side to experience it quietly....she sat her ass down on the ground with an attitude and disparaged a Holy site.....openly mocking something isn't the only form of disrespect.  The other women went to cleanse their hands and they PARTICIPATED.....she sat her ass on the ground and said "it is just a wall.". I guaran-fucking-tee you that if Mike or Reza acted the way she did at a Muslim Holy site she would lose her shit.  

I would respect her so much if she had just said I don't feel comfortable going there today and just stayed at the hotel or done something else. 

Mike didn't participate 2 seasons ago when they went to the Mosque in Turkey, he sat outside and complained the whole time. Also, Reza made disgusting comments about the women wearing berkas in Turkey as well. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I probably would have felt the same way GG felt after hearing Reza the night before.  

Yeah it wasn't super cool or thoughtful how Reza described the day at dinner. And MIke's panicky attitude made things worse. Asa was right (hey, stopped clocks...) when she said that Reza was putting out vibes that would make others feel anxious about him.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

What turned me off about the Western Wall, was that men and women were separated.  I don't think God would be cool with that.  

Not gonna get all Jewy because this isn't the place for it, but suffice to say the separation of genders is a HUGE point of contention amongst many, many non-Orthodox Jews. The separation is relatively recent and will most likely remain as long as Israel is Orthodox controlled. 

The irony is GG or whomever referencing it on the show as such a bad thing when I believe I remember the genders going separate ways in the Turkish mosque. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

What turned me off about the Western Wall, was that men and women were separated.  I don't think God would be cool with that.  

I found it odd that GG and Asa questioned it because Mosque's also separate men/women. In some Jewish beliefs, like Orthodox, the men and women are kept separate in their Synagogues and schools.

2 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Yeah it wasn't super cool or thoughtful how Reza described the day at dinner. And MIke's panicky attitude made things worse. Asa was right (hey, stopped clocks...) when she said that Reza was putting out vibes that would make others feel anxious about him.

I don't think Reza was all that uncomfortable until he heard the Call to Prayer and Mike started to work him up. Until then, he was pretty oblivious that they were in a Muslim neighborhood. 

Asa should have done her homework before she made those plans and she should have included the others in her plans to meet with the religious leaders, not sending them out to ask questions/film strangers. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Juneau Gal said:

The irony is GG or whomever referencing it on the show as such a bad thing when I believe I remember the genders going separate ways in the Turkish mosque. 

Which GG acknowledged saying that it was common practice throughout her travels in the ME, ie Muslim countries, but that it still always bothers her wherever it happens.

• Love 6

I say bravo for the beautiful sights of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem  and wish it could have been left at  that plus the Shabbat dinner minus Mike.   Only Shervin should have made the trip. And maybe the new girl, whoever she is....both as sort of tourists in the background. Everything else, all the "higher" thoughts, political imaginings,   paranoia fantasies,   thoughts of historical significance,   anything having to do with prayer, God,  ecumenicism etc ,  were wasted on this bunch of miscreants.,  It  would have been better if they had just taken their usual  drunken trek  to so some place like vegas where they could have made enemies  anew of one another and steered clear of anything even remotely resembling antiquity much less the holiest of  Holy Lands   

Reza's proclivity for calling virtually every single woman a "b----" puts him at the top of the garbage heap for me, after hearing it over and over and over in that sneering ugly voice of his.    And  the trash goes on and on.....MJ, Oh Lord,....literally, filthy.   In every possible way, just filth;  Asa:  Does someone have to write that B.S. for you or do you come up with it on your own?   GG....whatever .... bored and boring, and Mike, what poor woman would want to be your next Mrs?     It would take more than wailing at the wailing wall, son.    

I see Reza recently lost a lot of weight, shaved off his mustache,  and apparently is in line to get another Bravo show.   Good.  Go away.  

Once upon a time,  this show had something of a  bit of charm and  was novel enough to make   sense in some ways.   That's all gone .  Goodbye.        

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Reza with the cats was like me on my last trip to Turkey and Greece. "Wow look at these ancient ruin -- oh look, KITTY!" I probably took as many pictures of all the different cats as I did of the beautiful sights. There was even a cat cleaning its butt in the Hagia Sophia (that's what I love about cats - they give no fucks). However, I did not feed them and throw food at their face or climb on dumpsters to pet them like Reza did.

kitty.jpg

If I could like this post a million times, I would, lol! That would be me too. I'm a sucker for a kitty.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Caseyh1981 said:

If I could like this post a million times, I would, lol! That would be me too. I'm a sucker for a kitty.

Seriously I think that's one pretty good reason why Greece and Turkey (especially Istanbul) are two of my favorite places in the world. And like every shop had a bowl of kibble and a bowl of water outside their doors. There were some stray dogs too (including a Westie in Santorini! - the ones in Turkey were tagged on the ear to indicate they have been spayed/neutered). All totally chill. Just hanging out nonchalantly checking tourists out. I can't wait to go back again someday!

ETA: Also there were like 4 other cats that are cropped out of the picture that were to the right. "Yeah, we rule these streets, basically."

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 3

I saw Kedi in the theater, but apparently you can watch the whole movie online if you have YouTube Red (not sure what that is--probably a premium membership).  It's lovely and sweet and funny and sad and very worth seeing.  Turkish cats, cats, cats.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2017 at 10:27 PM, Watermelon said:

I'm 1000% sure most American whites don't consider Iranians white.

Most American whites aren't very knowledgeable on a variety of matters. White and Caucasian are not synonymous. Indians are also considered Caucasian, having migrated from the Central Asian Caucus/Eurasian Steppe.

So we see sloppy MJ washing her face and reapplying make-up, then she gets in her bed with pristine white sheets with feet that look like they haven't seen water or soap in over two weeks. HOW does anyone get feet that filthy? She is a dirty girl in many many respects. Seeing her hanging out of her clothes, eating with her mouth open, and running around on camera with blackened dirty feet makes me realize she lacks any normal modicum of self awareness.  She is also jealous, and needs to stop with her proclamations about Asa and sweep her own side of the street.

Asa...no one cares about your "art." You put your friends in harms way potentially, while you got to shoot with the leaders. I ended up fast forwarding thru out her shenanigans, as I found them mostly as self serving as her "art gallery showing," her diamond water, her caftans, and her gold facial mask.

Mike you screwed up you life cheating on Jessica, but this trip home brought out the best in you. I loved seeing your family, and was so sad to hear Emi (the woman in the wheelchair) passed when they dedicated the episode to her.  I adore his new home and hope he can move forward. 

• Love 3

Asa's shenanigans in Israel were cringe worthy!  I had second hand embarrassment for her. 

GG had a stank attitude at the wall, she could have just let everyone had their time at the wall but noooo...she saw the wall as a barrier, lol...the old city is a walled city you nincompoop!  I feel like GG is still looking for anything to get fired up about.

I hope they went to Haifa and toured the Ba hai temple gardens, enjoyed the beaches and did some shopping in the shook.

• Love 5

this episode disgusted me. Reza and Mike are so stupid and bigoted that it boggles the mind. GG and Shervin showed a great deal restraint when those bigoted idiots were being so disrespectful to the "non - Jews"

• Love 4

Minor annoyance, Mike said he hadn't visited in 10 years.  Even if he was rounding having a "passport full of visits" doesn't fly, because passports are only good for 10 years and all of those earlier visits from when he was a kid wouldn't be on his current passport.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Asa...no one cares about your "art." You put your friends in harms way potentially, while you got to shoot with the leaders. I ended up fast forwarding thru out her shenanigans, as I found them mostly as self serving as her "art gallery showing," her diamond water, her caftans, and her gold facial mask.

Asa's dumb art projects bug the shit out of me. Having her friends wandering about asking potentially uncomfortable and intrusive questions, obnoxious and possibly trouble-making. The Shahs asking if people were Muslim or Jewish reminded me of the Documentary Now episode Dronez: The Hunt for El Chingon. It's a parody of a Vice Media documentary. The reporters are clueless and rude. To find El Chingon, the reporters wander the streets asking people if they know where the notorious drug kingpin el Chingon is.

I've always thought that her diamond water could have sold if she described it as diamond filtered. It doesn't really mean anything, but it sounds good.

https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/diamond-filtered-vodka-diamond-standard

The other reasons that diamond water never really went anywhere is that she designed a bottle that was too tall to fit on grocery shelves and all of the players in bottled water are so big.

• Love 6

During their journey towards enlightenment in Israel, drama erupts when Asa drops a bombshell during a group lunch at the Dead Sea; GG makes a decision that involves her boyfriend, Shalom; Asa reveals the gender of her baby during a group dinner.

On 8/6/2017 at 1:20 AM, HunterHunted said:

I don't know that there ever was an issue with Jessica. She converted to Mike's satisfaction, learned how to make some Persian dishes, and was learning about Persian culture. Their marriage fell apart because Mike couldn't keep it in his pants. It's been discussed that he almost certainly fucked someone right before he proposed to Jessica and he's more or less admitted it (it might have been Laila). If Mike's mom is happy that he's no longer with Jessica, it's because his mother doesn't want to admit that her son is a cheating piece of shit. Mike could have married the perfect Persian Jewish woman. His marriage still would have collapsed and his mother would be saying shitty things about that woman too.

Of course she would have shit - talked any woman that Mike cheated on and divorced. Jessica was an awesome daughter in law and EXTREMELY respectful to Mike's entire family, culture, traditions, and religion. But to an immigrant Jewish mama, she still wouldnt be considered as "Jewish", the conversion wasn't even valid, therefore Mike's children wouldnt really be Jewish. 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 8:20 PM, Neurochick said:

The Western Wall is not just a cultural icon, or a tourist site, it is a synagogue and 90% of the people who go there are Jews wanting to pray, and men and women are not allowed to see each other when they pray. When someone is directly near the Wall, it is disrespectful to take selfies, chat loudly, dress immodestly, or draw a lot of attention to oneself, because it bothers the majority of people who come to pray, just like in a very very conservative place of worship. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 3