Type keyword(s) to search

Ozark in the Media

• Start Topic

I'm excited to see a show set in the Ozarks. However... It was primarily filmed in Georgia. I understand why shows film in other locations for budget reasons, but when the actual name of the show is Ozark couldn't you find some way to film there?

• Love 4
(edited)

Well this here well-educated, progressive Ozarkian is dagburned disappointed to see this is just another drug-syndicate drama, firstly, and secondly, that it stars Jason Bateman, one of the most horrid actors of his generation, whose "strength" seems to be picking horrid projects.

FWIW, I don't know where Ang Lee filmed Ride with the Devil, a film backdropped against the Civil War skirmishes between eastern Kansans and western Missourians, but there were a lot of outdoor scenes portrayed accurately.  Depending on where they go, Georgia may be too "mountain-y" for the Ozarks.

Edited by JZL

Ozarks are probably the closest place to Chicago that is so out of the way no one could find a person? 

We used to go there when I was little. We lived in St Louis. 

Albuquerque didn't suffer from Breaking Bad. 

I think Bateman's good with the right material.   Do agree that he's picked a lot of bad movies. Just watched the end of The Gift.  Yuk.  

• Love 1

Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Jason Bateman
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - The Toll by Jason Bateman
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - Tonight We Improvise by Daniel Sackheim
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Program (One Hour Or More) - My Dripping Sleep
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - The Toll

• Love 3

Was bored the other night and decided to watch 'The Other Woman' on Netflix. I wouldn't recommend the movie but turned out the 8 year old boy in it was played by Charlie Tahan (Wyatt Langmore). I had never seen him before Ozark, he was really good in the movie but his character was annoying AF (I have a low tolerance for bratty/know it all kids).

On 9/4/2018 at 12:13 PM, ganesh said:

Silly video about Ozark slang - 

I have to take issue with their spelling of smidgin.  An apostrophe on the end gives the impression that it's a verb with the g dropped. Smidgin is a noun, yo.

I grew up in Southeast Missouri, but I didn't learn to call the shopping cart a buggy until I moved to the Memphis area. I hear it down here in Alabama, too, and I kind of love it.

Janet McTeer has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Leading Actress in a Play
Annette Bening, All My Sons
Laura Donnelly, The Ferryman
Elaine May, The Waverly Gallery
Janet McTeer, Bernhardt/Hamlet
Laurie Metcalf, Hillary and Clinton
Heidi Schreck, What the Constitution Means to Me

(edited)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7049291/Ozark-star-Jason-Bateman-vows-BOYCOTT-Georgia-abortion-ban-passed-law.html

I bring this news to your attention not to stir up political debate, but because I wonder what would happen to the show, which is filmed largely in The Peach State.  Does JB have enough clout to have production relocated?

Edited by CrystalBlue
Question added to end for suggested discussion purposes.
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ozark won two Emmy awards tonight!

• Directing for a Drama Series - Jason Bateman

• Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Julia Garner

Well deserved. I can't remember which episode Jason won for directing, but Ruth IMO was the best character in season 2. Yes, she was well-written and complex, but Julia Garner gave life to the words on the page. 

• Love 5
On 8/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, werden said:

Does anyone know when the new season will begin?

Still no date announced, although Jason Bateman has teased some of the plotlines for S3.  

Congrats to Julia Garner.  Her character went from one I hated in S1 to one I actually admired in S2. 

• Love 4

Bateman does a longer interview on The Bill Simmons podcast 5/29/90.

Talks about the Ozark production company bringing him The Outsider, asking him if he wanted to try to do both that show and season 3 of Ozark.

Said he executive produced meaning he hired producers, made casting decisions and directed the first two episodes and handed off some duties to a producer he knew from Ozark.

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

I never get why they call it a season when it’s being split. Shouldn’t it be two?

Seasons tend to have one overall story line so if they have two shorter stories they split the season up.

• Love 1
(edited)

Semantics for marketing. What's important is TPTBs will be able to write the show out. There won't be any sudden cancellation or they won't be worried about whether they will be cancelled. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

As expected, Laura Linney, Jason Bateman, and Julia Garner received Emmy nods (as well as Best Drama, and several directing and writing nods, among other things). Very surprised and disappointed, though, that Tom Pelphrey was snubbed. I thought he was fantastic as Ben!

• Love 3

I was just coming on to say the same. Ben was quite draining near the end and I’m glad he’s gone but Pelphreys performance was fantastic. I’m a bit gutted For him that he didn’t get a nomination.

• Love 3

It's complete bullshit that Tom Pelphrey wasn't nominated. Best performance I saw all year. And yesterday was his birthday! What a rotten surprise to be snubbed for such an award worthy performance.

• Love 3

He was graceful about it via Instagram but yeah, how lame. Would he be eligible for a Golden Globe?

He was relatively unknown before this and I only ever seen him in the god awful Iron Fist so hopefully he’ll at least continue to get meaty roles once Covid doesn’t kill his momentum.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/29/2020 at 11:05 AM, Avabelle said:

Would he be eligible for a Golden Globe?

Just curious, would there be a reason why he would be ineligible for GG?

And I totally agree, he was robbed.  I feel bad too for Janet McTeer, thought she was consistently good all season long.

Edited by sugarbaker design
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:
On 7/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, Avabelle said:

Just curious, would there be a reason why he would be ineligible for GG?

No not at all but I’m never sure of the timings of these things and if a show has to have aired within a date range to qualify for nomination.

• Love 1