Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Pledging My Love

• Start Topic

I look forward to next week's episode wherein Donna makes over an obvious nerdy girl (wears glasses/paint covered overalls) into someone popular and beautiful (wears contacts/nice dress).   

• Love 1
(edited)

I will miss the 2x a week podcasts, but I understand because it's SO boring and SO much filler and SO wash, rinse, repeat with the recycled storylines.  

So after Jimmy dies, does Kelly just up and quit her work at the hospice?  Do we literally never see any of them ever again?  I guess we are supposed to fanwank that the internship ended coincidentally upon Jimmy's death?

Edited by Earmuffs Mom
More thoughts...
3 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I will miss the 2x a week podcasts, but I understand because it's SO boring and SO much filler and SO wash, rinse, repeat with the recycled storylines.  

So after Jimmy dies, does Kelly just up and quit her work at the hospice?  Do we literally never see any of them ever again?  I guess we are supposed to fanwank that the internship ended coincidentally upon Jimmy's death?

I'll miss the twice weekly podcasts too but definitely more than understandable.  I give them credit for torturing themselves watching a show that has become horrendous at this point in its run.

• Love 2

I was in a sorority, not even the "best" (i.e. conventionally prettiest) one on campus, and they were exactly this explicitly shallow and judgmental during rush, which is why I deactivated. (You can't just quit, they claim your soul for life when they teach you the secret handshake.) There is nothing about the rush process that allows anyone to get to know someone's personality. What's ridiculous about this whole storyline is that Donna would be surprised by any of it. She grew up in Beverly Hills, and she's been in this sorority for a while now. She knows how this works.

Why do adult authority figures love Brandon so much? He's rude and obnoxious, and doesn't show an ounce of respect for them. And I call bullshit that Hard Copy called him three times to get that footage. Naked college campus antics are extremely common, national media outlets DGAF.

• Love 3

I haven't listed to the podcast yet...so this means they are over? Nooo!

Ah well, I guess it had to end sooner or later. I was hoping they'd at least make it till the end of the season, since the Gang graduating from college is a good jumping off point.

I've been basically holding a prayer vigil for Sarah, Tara, and Dave to send them strength in their continual slog through this series as it gets ever more boring. I consider the fact that they are cutting down to once a week to be the Lord's answer.

• Love 3

While I understand the need to cut the podcast down to once a week, I am a little sad that I will have to wait a week for the next episode, which in my opinion has the most ridiculous St. Donna plot - Donna tries to rescue a fawn, her dumb ass gets trapped, fireman whose life she endangers falls instantly in love with her, and she receives an award (I think). 

It's cute that Steve thinks that a streaking incident will completely do away with the Greek system when serial rape and pledge deaths hasn't even done that.

• Love 5

I've never even watched this show, and I *still* want to smack Brandon for that door-kicking gif.

Same here. If I ever encounter Jason Priestley today it will take a lot of willpower not to deck him one for all the times Brandon's been a cocky turd. I only hope he's just been acting.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I had been watching the episodes along with the podcast, but I just had to give up shortly after Dylan left last season. It is so so so very boring. Pretty sure this is when I stopped watching in the show's original run as well. I do still enjoy the podcast though!

53 minutes ago, vendredi3 said:

I had been watching the episodes along with the podcast, but I just had to give up shortly after Dylan left last season. It is so so so very boring. Pretty sure this is when I stopped watching in the show's original run as well. I do still enjoy the podcast though!

Yeah, Dylan's departure was a real turning point for the show as it completely descended into a boring shit storm.

While I understand the need to cut the podcast down to once a week, I am a little sad that I will have to wait a week for the next episode, which in my opinion has the most ridiculous St. Donna plot - Donna tries to rescue a fawn, her dumb ass gets trapped, fireman whose life she endangers falls instantly in love with her, and she receives an award (I think). 

I'm re-watching it right now and I truly think Donna deserved to die for being such an EPIC idiot.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, itainttippithebird said:

I'm re-watching it right now and I truly think Donna deserved to die for being such an EPIC idiot.

Yeah, Donna should have had to pay back the city for that the way Steve did for the fire. What a dumbass.

• Love 2
On 6/19/2017 at 2:56 PM, MerBearStare said:

Yup, though possibly even worse than the next episode is the one after that, in which Donna GETS A KEY TO THE CITY for getting her dumb ass trapped trying to rescue a fawn and endangering the life of a fireman who has to rescue her.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, sinnerforhire said:

Yeah, Donna should have had to pay back the city for that the way Steve did for the fire. What a dumbass.

No doubt Donna was allowed to rescue fawn again just like Steve was allowed to host parties again (despite a court order).

Edited by benteen
8 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

The "top button only on your cardigan" look is about as 1996-97 as it gets, ladies.

Yeah, I had at least two cardigans that only had one top button when I was in high school in the late '90s. One was part of a velour twinset. 

• Love 2

This show really needed to hire actual hot guys. There is NO WAY in HELL a babe like Val would go for Kenny. (And if she did, it would be a mercy fuck and then she'd move on). Gah. And don't name him Kenny, SHOW. It's like the writers didn't realize they were writing a nighttime soap. Someone was all, "Val should have a torrid love affair with an older, married man!" and some jackass producer was like, "Great idea! hey, my loser cousin is an out of work actor and needs a gig, maybe we can hire him!"  It's like they have different glasses than the rest of us. In their Universe, St. Kelly and St. Donna = smokin' Hot. Val and Claire are hags that are lucky enough to get any play. Colin, Kenny, Stick Insect Dylan and Shorty McBray are irresistible  ... (as compared to REEK - who was legit hot)... If I need to see Val debasing herself (again!) at least give me some eye candy. Not boring in looks and deed no-chill Kenny. Sheesh. 

Honestly, Tara, Sarah and David - y'all are doing the lord's work. I can't bring myself to rewatch this bullshit. It is so, so, so bad. No one would blame you if you didn't make it to the end of the series. 

Re: the streaking. Did people really give a crap about such shenanigans on college campuses in '96? I'm really asking. I know they invented the super-scary FEMINIST CRAZY LADY to raise a ruckus, but, really, who gives a shit? This isn't USC in '54. 

• Love 3

This show really needed to hire actual hot guys. There is NO WAY in HELL a babe like Val would go for Kenny. (And if she did, it would be a mercy fuck and then she'd move on). Gah. And don't name him Kenny, SHOW. It's like the writers didn't realize they were writing a nighttime soap. Someone was all, "Val should have a torrid love affair with an older, married man!" and some jackass producer was like, "Great idea! hey, my loser cousin is an out of work actor and needs a gig, maybe we can hire him!"  It's like they have different glasses than the rest of us. In their Universe, St. Kelly and St. Donna = smokin' Hot. Val and Claire are hags that are lucky enough to get any play. Colin, Kenny, Stick Insect Dylan and Shorty McBray are irresistible  ... (as compared to REEK - who was legit hot)... If I need to see Val debasing herself (again!) at least give me some eye candy. Not boring in looks and deed no-chill Kenny. Sheesh. 

Honestly, Tara, Sarah and David - y'all are doing the lord's work. I can't bring myself to rewatch this bullshit. It is so, so, so bad. No one would blame you if you didn't make it to the end of the series. 

Re: the streaking. Did people really give a crap about such shenanigans on college campuses in '96? I'm really asking. I know they invented the super-scary FEMINIST CRAZY LADY to raise a ruckus, but, really, who gives a shit? This isn't USC in '54. 

ken bannerman of bannerman financial was a rock star!

16 hours ago, Klaw said:

Shorty McBray....definitely the perfect western name for Brandon.  Well done!

Donna MIGHT be hot if it wasn't for the awful hair.  Definitely Val and Claire.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't speak to Colin's and Kenny's looks, but I thought season one Brandon was gorgeous facially, and Dylan was quite handsome. Of course when a teen show goes on for freakin' ever, you wind up with what you get.

I must say I'm always amazed at the actors (especially the women) on daytime soaps- like 30 years as the same character and looking basically the same. Either great genes and/or maintenance I guess.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
52 minutes ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I can't speak to Colin's and Kenny's looks, but I thought season one Brandon was gorgeous facially, and Dylan was quite handsome. Of course when a teen show goes on for freakin' ever, you wind up with what you get.

I must say I'm always amazed at the actors (especially the women) on daytime soaps- like 30 years as the same character and looking basically the same. Either great genes and/or maintenance I guess.

Money will make you look the same for 30 years.

I agree. I thought Brandon had a really good looking face. I never really found Dylan attractive.

• Love 1
On 6/26/2017 at 2:26 PM, benteen said:

Shorty McBray....definitely the perfect western name for Brandon.  Well done!

Thank you, but I'm not sure I can take credit for it... :)

On 6/26/2017 at 2:26 PM, benteen said:

Donna MIGHT be hot if it wasn't for the awful hair. 

See, I can't even get there. Could Donna be cute/attractive? Yes, but hot, IMHO, no way. Not with the wack a doo nose job and the "war crime" TM SARAH D. BUNTING on her chest. And I know we shouldn't objectify Tori like that, bla bla bla, but since they were pushing the "Donna is so hot that even as a virgin, she can pull in the hot guys" narrative I feel ... um compelled? to call out why this is just not so. If they could have just let her be the cute girl in the corner doing "stuff" then I'd be fine with it, but making her the hot chick second only to St. Kelly of the Golden Vajajay. Yea, I get to call bullshit.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:53 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

Fair on the point of early season Brandon and Dylan. They weren't bad looking at all but there were a few times when other guys (Smith Jarrett and REEK) just blew them out of the water. I wanted more of that type of eye candy type casting instead of what we got. I don't know, like maybe they wanted to be careful not to hire anyone better looking than the main cast (e.g. a taller and/or more good-looking dude). 

• Love 1